Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2015 12:44:45 AM EDT
I'm looking at buying my first set of nvgs. My readings suggest digital is the way to go. I'd prefer the dual tube bino "goggle" style. No magnification required unless it can be had for my price range. What do you folks suggest around $1000?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:15:30 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

I'm looking at buying my first set of nvgs. My readings suggest digital is the way to go. I'd prefer the dual tube bino "goggle" style. No magnification required unless it can be had for my price range. What do you folks suggest around $1000?
View Quote

Digital stuff is still pretty low-end and compares to Gen1. All of it. Yes, there are exceptions that the military has - you can't buy it, and no one sells it yet. ALL civilian stuff, without exception, is pretty aweful.

If you really want to try it, go get a XGen digital for $100 and try it out - then, worst case, you've only blown $100. If for some reason you like it, then buy another and glue them together. I put together a technical review of the XGen Here.

For $1000? I wouldn't recommend anything. If you want something serious, start your budget around $2000 and take a look at TNVC's new Gen2 announcements. If you want Digital or Gen1, I'd recommend keeping your investment under $300.

There's not really much in between.

Sorry to come off negative - but a lot of people here made the same mistake at one time or another before they gained a bit of experience - Better to aim low and find out early if it meets your expectations or not -

Also, if you want to mention what you're using it for, the many voices on the forum can suggest different options that might meet your needs - :)

Regards

David

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 3:02:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Digital stuff is still pretty low-end and compares to Gen1. All of it. Yes, there are exceptions that the military has - you can't buy it, and no one sells it yet. ALL civilian stuff, without exception, is pretty aweful.

If you really want to try it, go get a XGen digital for $100 and try it out - then, worst case, you've only blown $100. If for some reason you like it, then buy another and glue them together. I put together a technical review of the XGen Here.

For $1000? I wouldn't recommend anything. If you want something serious, start your budget around $2000 and take a look at TNVC's new Gen2 announcements. If you want Digital or Gen1, I'd recommend keeping your investment under $300.

Sorry to come off negative - but a lot of people here made the same mistake at one time or another before they gained a bit of experience - Better to aim low and find out early if it meets your expectations or not -

Also, if you want to mention what you're using it for, the many voices on the forum can suggest different options that might meet your needs - :)

Regards
David

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regards
David

This

Digital is a joke you should be looking for gen2 or up

Apex has some super cheap gen2+ stuff
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_172/1439135_PVS_5C_Gen_2__NVGs_NODs_w_COBB__helmet__mount__Ops_Core__Surefire_M1__Team_Wendy_ZAP__1250.html

This seems like a solid setup for the price. Dual gen 2+ tubes with mil spec glass, and mount. Probably pretty heavy, but if you can get past the weight, i'm not sure you could do much better inside your budget.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top