Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2015 4:50:56 PM EDT
Looking into getting started with a NV set up.
Considering buying a Photonis Supergen tube with housing assembled.
What can you tell me about them ?
I have been trying to google and read what I can, there is a lot to wade through
From what I gather they are a foreign made tube, advanced gen 2 that performs more like a gen 3.
What pitfalls do I need to avoid ? Are these decent tubes ? From my limited research it appears so. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Looking into getting started with a NV set up.

Considering buying a Photonis Supergen tube with housing assembled.

What can you tell me about them ?

I have been trying to google and read what I can, there is a lot to wade through

From what I gather they are a foreign made tube, advanced gen 2 that performs more like a gen 3.

What pitfalls do I need to avoid ? Are these decent tubes ? From my limited research it appears so. Thanks
View Quote

Photonis SuperGen are pretty good - they have performance like Gen3, but are only mid-level photonis tubes. Often they are simply failed high-end tubes, which is why they get such a good reputation - They may fail for reasons of gain or blemishes, but generally perform well over the baseline specification.

If you do get datasheets ( not all that common ) then you can work out where you sit against Gen3 by the S/N ratio - This number pretty much tells you how well it's going to work compared to a normal Gen3 - The MTF is a better comparison, but isn't as common to have this information.

They are a Gen2 tube - that means they have an alkali metal photocathode. They are pretty hardy tubes, take recoil OK and are made outside of the US.

Regards

David
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 7:39:20 PM EDT
[#2]
What is a good price to pay for it, installed with a US mil spec housing.

Tube is new.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#3]
One another question.... I am reading about Image Intensifier Tubes, is that just a fancy way of saying the tube or is that a seperate add on all together ? I am thinking that is what the night vision tube is.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:14:10 PM EDT
[#4]
What you should pay depends on tube specs. If it all checks out well, i personally wouldnt pay any more than 600, unless you're buying it directly from an authorized reseller with warranty.

FWIW, I found the Supergens I had to be on par with my Gen 3 Omni IV and V tubes.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 8:35:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
One another question.... I am reading about Image Intensifier Tubes, is that just a fancy way of saying the tube or is that a seperate add on all together ? I am thinking that is what the night vision tube is.
View Quote

IIT is the tube.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:37:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What you should pay depends on tube specs. If it all checks out well, i personally wouldnt pay any more than 600, unless you're buying it directly from an authorized reseller with warranty.

FWIW, I found the Supergens I had to be on par with my Gen 3 Omni IV and V tubes.
View Quote

I assume by 600 you mean for the tube only ? What would you value a complete set up with housing and ready to use to be.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

IIT is the tube.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IIT is the tube.

Thats what I thought thanks
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I assume by 600 you mean for the tube only ? What would you value a complete set up with housing and ready to use to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whatever you are willing to pay for it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I like my photonis tubes a lot.

Here on Arfcom there was a nice guy that sold a large batch of new old stock photonis tubes, both MX10160 format, and Mx11769 format tubes. They went for between $500-800 (seller grades them all based on gain and blems) and a lot of us here in the NV forum snapped them up.

Outside of this lot of used tubes, the photonis tubes in general are very expensive! The "supergen" has been phased out by the XR4, XR5, and Intens lines of image intensifier tubes, but buying a brand new XR4/5 from a dealer would be equal in most cases to buying new Excelis or L3 tubes, sometimes even more expensive.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a photonis equipped NV device, and I would rate them around the same as the omni IV/V non-autogated devices, or even a little bit better. For a PVS14 type device, single battery housing, with the manuak gain control, I think around $1500 is a fair price, maybe slightly less for a fixed gain model.

Link Posted: 5/21/2015 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm pretty sure I know of the one the op is thinking about. You'll kick yourself later if you miss out on it. That price is extremely low.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#11]
I made the purchase.

Now trying to figure out what I need to mount it....

Will the Norotos Rhino style mount go right to a helmet or do I need something between the helmet and Rhino mount?

I think I need some sort of helmet shroud on the helmet ?  Are they pretty universal ?

Is the  Norotos Rhino a decent mount ? One old thread I found here had some comments about that style of mount not staying stable in front of the eye.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I found a bunch of inexpensive military mounts on ebay that claim they are compatible with rhino mounts.
Are these worth using? looks like if I went with one of those I wouldn't have to buy a seperate shroud ? Just the j arm, rhino mount, and bracket? Do I have this right?

Here is a link

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USGI-Norotos-NVG-Rhino-Mounting-Bracket-Plate-w-Bolt-Nut-for-Army-Helmet-/191249631253?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c875dc815

Also what sort of helmet should I look into ? I don't care about ballastic protection at this time, just want something to mount it so I wonder if I'd be better off with something lighter than a ballastic helmet. Probably be cheaper too which is nice.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:45:27 AM EDT
[#13]
heh I remember being here myself. Here's some pointers:

1: Ebay has mounts WAAAAY cheaper. A Rhino 2 at a minimum though, Rhino 1's are shit tier plebe tech.
2: You're gonna have a couple helmets. First your babby bump helmet with bungees and arc rails. then ballistic cuz dat kevlar doe, then finally you're gonna settle on fuck it I don't wanna wear my tard helmet tonight so it's a fucking lanyard and your arm as the mount.

3: No matter how much you think you like your tube, somewhere, some asshole has a tube that is like looking through another dimension. Also, everyone sees that FPN and blems and they KNOW YOU GOT FUCKED. This doesn't apply if you are the asshole with the superomgwtfbbq tube.

4: The more stuff you put on your helmet, the more stuff you need to put on your helmet for your helmet to work right.

5: lasers. And you thought your tube was expensive. fucking lasers.

6: Seeing into windows doesn't work as well as you hoped it would. It really will make u cry inside.

7: finding places dark enough to need night vision can become a chore. Unless you like sky glow. If you like sky glow man you're gonna be in fucking heaven.

8: No one will ever understand what it's like looking at the stars. They think they know, but they don't. Fuck operating, just look at the fucking stars all night.

9: You'll want to resist the urge thinking you need more tubes. Tubes r expensive. So are lasers, so get more lasers.

And finally:

10: every time someone asks to look at it, you'll stand close by and hover praying silently they don't drop it.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:40:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
heh I remember being here myself. Here's some pointers:

1: Ebay has mounts WAAAAY cheaper. A Rhino 2 at a minimum though, Rhino 1's are shit tier plebe tech. 2: You're gonna have a couple helmets. First your babby bump helmet with bungees and arc rails. then ballistic cuz dat kevlar doe, then finally you're gonna settle on fuck it I don't wanna wear my tard helmet tonight so it's a fucking lanyard and your arm as the mount.
3: No matter how much you think you like your tube, somewhere, some asshole has a tube that is like looking through another dimension. Also, everyone sees that FPN and blems and they KNOW YOU GOT FUCKED. This doesn't apply if you are the asshole with the superomgwtfbbq tube.
4: The more stuff you put on your helmet, the more stuff you need to put on your helmet for your helmet to work right.
5: lasers. And you thought your tube was expensive. fucking lasers.
6: Seeing into windows doesn't work as well as you hoped it would. It really will make u cry inside.
7: finding places dark enough to need night vision can become a chore. Unless you like sky glow. If you like sky glow man you're gonna be in fucking heaven.
8: No one will ever understand what it's like looking at the stars. They think they know, but they don't. Fuck operating, just look at the fucking stars all night.
9: You'll want to resist the urge thinking you need more tubes. Tubes r expensive. So are lasers, so get more lasers.

And finally:

10: every time someone asks to look at it, you'll stand close by and hover praying silently they don't drop it.

View Quote

What is wrong with Rhino I ?

I bought a Rhino mount on ebay last night. Not sure if its a I or II. Most don't say.

As far as 7, is it that night vision doesn't work well with sky glow or it just is bright enough you don't really need it. I would hope it at least greatly enhances your vision.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 12:50:03 PM EDT
[#15]
The RHINO mount is late 90's early 2000's tech.

It is force-to-overcome which I personally dislike, offers fore and aft adjustment, and tilt adjustment. Vertical adjustments are made by tweaking the tilt and the fore-aft adjustments until it is OK. Beyond that limited adjustment you used your helmet suspension and MICH dome pads to get the sweet spot, and usually SOMETHING was wacky.

The newer RHNO II mount is far more advanced, takes lineage from the AKA2 mount. It can easily be converted between dovetail or bayonet interface. It features true vertical adjustment, as well as fore/aft and tilt.

MUCH easier to place the monocular where it needs to be.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:02:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The RHINO mount is late 90's early 2000's tech.

It is force-to-overcome which I personally dislike, offers fore and aft adjustment, and tilt adjustment. Vertical adjustments are made by tweaking the tilt and the fore-aft adjustments until it is OK. Beyond that limited adjustment you used your helmet suspension and MICH dome pads to get the sweet spot, and usually SOMETHING was wacky.

The newer RHNO II mount is far more advanced, takes lineage from the AKA2 mount. It can easily be converted between dovetail or bayonet interface. It features true vertical adjustment, as well as fore/aft and tilt.

MUCH easier to place the monocular where it needs to be.

View Quote

How do I tell the difference most all the Rhino mounts I see for sale are not labeled I or II but just RHino mount

I am guessing most of the cheaper Rhino mounts on ebay are probably the earlier I
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:19:56 PM EDT
[#17]
We could draw you pictures but the best way to tell is to look for three adjustment knobs. Dont worry about purchasing the wrong shit while youre learning. I have 3 rhino 1 mounts that sit collecting dust.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 1:32:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
We could draw you pictures but the best way to tell is to look for three adjustment knobs. Dont worry about purchasing the wrong shit while youre learning. I have 3 rhino 1 mounts that sit collecting dust.
View Quote

I probably bought a I. It only cost $30. I am not too worried about it.

I can't afford a bunch of really nice mounts, and hardware after buying the system.

I just want something to be able to try it out, learn on. See what I might want to upgrade later.

Is a helmet like this worth buying or is it just junk ?

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Base-Jump-Soft-Helmet/dp/B00E9YLHMI

My main concern is buying something junk that will not securely hold the device and could cause it to drop and break.
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I can't afford a bunch of really nice mounts, and hardware after buying the system.

I just want something to be able to try it out, learn on. See what I might want to upgrade later.

My main concern is buying something junk that will not securely hold the device and could cause it to drop and break.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is why we use lanyards. The chinese bump helmets work. And are way cheaper on AliExpress.

Link Posted: 5/25/2015 4:57:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is why we use lanyards. The chinese bump helmets work. And are way cheaper on AliExpress.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was planning to use some sort of lanyard. What would you recommend ?
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 5:11:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is about the cheapest I have found so far. Thinking about this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Emerson-Blk-FAST-Type-Paintball-Airsoft-Helmet-w-Flip-down-Visor-MICH-Ballistic-/131340191902?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e947c489e
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#22]
What kind of lanyard set up would you recommend?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:24:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

What kind of lanyard set up would you recommend?
View Quote

Theres like 8 dollar ones on amazon. Phone about to die or id link it. Anything that secures securely would work. Hell a fucking shoe lace would work. Just make sure its tied down or that oh shit moment i just broke my new toy may happen.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top