Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:00:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

To answer you question the IR HUNTER MK II is a very complex system and has many features, modes and abilities other scope do not. It seems most people do not understand the sight and how advanced it is over other systems on the market.

First the IR HUNTER MKII is on par with sensor performance and image quality with systems that cost 2 to 3 times the money. Hands down this is the most important requirement of any thermal sight. You need to see first.

The build quality is also extremely high and we remain as a company extremely diligent on being US content and Berry Compliant. Be aware, there are big brands out there that make kits offshore and then stick a core into them here and say US Made.

1. The IR HUNTER MKII is a superior dedicated weapon sight giving a unparalleled image with extreme clarity and detail.

2. The IR HUNTER MKII as a clip-on actually gives you two options. If you choose to run it in RCO mode (1/2 x) then the screen is half sized so you can see it with a higher magnification optic such as a ACOG 3x or 4x. If you run it in CCO mode (2x) then you will be able to get a full view with a 1x optic such as a EOTECH.  

We run the MKII with a Elcan Spectrer DR at 1x and I have not seen a better image on any thermal sight in clip-on mode.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

FWIW, I have been told that the MKII's screen, when in clip on mode and when used as a clip on doesn't fill the FOV until about 2.5x.

JPK

To answer you question the IR HUNTER MK II is a very complex system and has many features, modes and abilities other scope do not. It seems most people do not understand the sight and how advanced it is over other systems on the market.

First the IR HUNTER MKII is on par with sensor performance and image quality with systems that cost 2 to 3 times the money. Hands down this is the most important requirement of any thermal sight. You need to see first.

The build quality is also extremely high and we remain as a company extremely diligent on being US content and Berry Compliant. Be aware, there are big brands out there that make kits offshore and then stick a core into them here and say US Made.

1. The IR HUNTER MKII is a superior dedicated weapon sight giving a unparalleled image with extreme clarity and detail.

2. The IR HUNTER MKII as a clip-on actually gives you two options. If you choose to run it in RCO mode (1/2 x) then the screen is half sized so you can see it with a higher magnification optic such as a ACOG 3x or 4x. If you run it in CCO mode (2x) then you will be able to get a full view with a 1x optic such as a EOTECH.  

We run the MKII with a Elcan Spectrer DR at 1x and I have not seen a better image on any thermal sight in clip-on mode.

Do the clip-on IR Patrol models also have these features?  What is the typical zero offset of these units in clip-on configuration?
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:01:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:06:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:42:54 AM EDT
[#6]
End user upgrades are very very nice for the long term ownership since thermal cores software is constantly evolving for each core subsequent to their initial production as the software engineers tease new features out of the cores.

I can see why military scopes are only update-able at the factory under controlled circumstances as there is some awesome software available to mil/LE people that none of us civilians have access to. I'd like to be able to track the bullet out of the barrel using my military thermals and see the trajectory from the muzzle to the target myself too, but that software is for mil/LE only.

Since FLIR produces their own cores and sells their own thermal weapon scopes with everything completed in-house for both their military and civilian thermal weapon scopes, I am sure there are reasons why the military scope can only be upgraded at the factory and the civilian scopes can be upgraded by the end-user as the FLIR Thermosight thermal scope have already had five new end-user installable upgrades since the scopes first came out and the most recent TAU 2.7.2 core software was released.

There will be more upgrades to the Thermsight scopes too!
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:09:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We are just in the middle of our field trials and final software reiterations for the M300W model.  We think it is going to end up similar to the IR HUNTER MKII 20MM when we get done as far as the clip on mode.

We will be shipping the first M250 head mount systems by end of this week and the first M300W systems are looking like 3 to 4 weeks out.

Scott
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

FWIW, I have been told that the MKII's screen, when in clip on mode and when used as a clip on doesn't fill the FOV until about 2.5x.

JPK

Do the clip-on IR Patrol models also have these features?  What is the typical zero offset of these units in clip-on configuration?

We are just in the middle of our field trials and final software reiterations for the M300W model.  We think it is going to end up similar to the IR HUNTER MKII 20MM when we get done as far as the clip on mode.

We will be shipping the first M250 head mount systems by end of this week and the first M300W systems are looking like 3 to 4 weeks out.

Scott

Scott, thanks for the info, very impressive features for the MKII and they display IR's forward thinking when they developed the scope and included clip on features.

JPK
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:23:02 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
We at IR Defense are going to turn on the lights to everyone, the first of a 6 episode video comparison series just went out on the forum. We have all the competing thermal sights lined up and will put them side by side which will eliminate opinions and just show pure evidence. We will be putting these out there regardless of which scope shines and which scopes do not.

Scott

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, What about the FLIR RS64? I know it's a few thousand more, is it worth it over the Hunter MKII?
RS-64   Pros:

-User upgradeable, upgrades are constantly available as improvements are made

The last upgrade was like obtaining a next generation model
-unmatched warranty service replacement/repair
-multiple color pallets that are very useful as well as insta alert which alone is an invaluable feature
-multiple user/gun settings can be saved to quickly switch from one rifle to another in an instant
Cons:

-Menu system is push button and relatively slow to manipulate if needed.
-LCD screen, people "say" is a huge step down in image quality I don't agree with that, slightly yes, huge no.
IRD MKII

Pros:

-OLED display is slightly better than LED apples to apples
-menu knobs are user friendly and the best I have encountered in thermal scopes, VERY quick and easy.
-protective lens over germanium nice feature
Cons:

-has software issues, gentleman from IRD posted that they were working on that.......
-warranty service ??? Have not heard any reports yet so it's a guess.
-not user upgradable, HUGE negative IMO.
-sits uncomfortably low on the rail for my likes, I am not a long necked or tall guy.
-eats batteries, or functions poorly on low batteries, a battery extender just introduced to fix this
-sight in ststem is IMO convoluted, works in reverse and can be somewhat difficult, it seems 50/50 here report it is easy/hard so YMMV.
-rubber eyecup will likely be lost the first night you hunt so buy an extra or glue/zip tie it to the unit.
I tried my best to be fair in this comparison, I'm sure a few will be along to add to this. IMO having used the units the user upgradeability and warranty service alone are worth buying FLIR.  As I said the last upgrade was like getting a next gen unit image and function wise.
The MKii has a better image and an extremely better menu knob system. Warranty service/replacement proof is not out there yet. Who knows. Not upgrade able by user so it's a send it in, pay and wait if that is ever even an option or buy the next gen unit....you are somewhat over a barrel without  a user upgrade feature.

We at IR Defense are going to turn on the lights to everyone, the first of a 6 episode video comparison series just went out on the forum. We have all the competing thermal sights lined up and will put them side by side which will eliminate opinions and just show pure evidence. We will be putting these out there regardless of which scope shines and which scopes do not.

Scott

Meh, recorded video from the output feed is one thing, but video of the actual eye piece is another.

From my brief time using IR Hunter and IR Patrol, you'd be doing yourself a injustice by only comparing output video to output video.  Your view screens were really nice.

Edit: Nevermind, you did it with a camera behind the eyepiece.  You rock!!

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Think of it this way, using a clip-on puts your gun out of balance. I go out for extended periods and clip-ons suck to carry around. They are designed for soldiers that need a 24 hour solution for a single weapon.

If you buy a MKII you get both a clip-on and a great dedicated system, the $10k you save over a T series will buy you a great sniper weapon to serve as your night time gun for your thermal scope and an ATV to drive around in.

Just food for thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just a thought, but in that price range it seems that features that enhance range capability adversely effect shorter range performance. For example, greater magnification is important for the very extended ranges you are talking about, but the greater magnification cuts down FOV, which is critically important in many shorter range night time situations, like hog hunting.

It seems to me that the only devices that allow long range use without negatively impacting more typical night ranges are the more expensive FLIR clip ons, Like Sky Pup's, or perhaps the LWTS.

A d-740 has a 10deg FOV and is my favorite nv (I2) scope that I've used.  I always thought it was perfect for up close out to 300 yards. Movers were never a issue either. Now when they run back at you and are brushing up against your legs. Drop your goggles back down and use your ir laser.

A 35mm mk2 has a 12 deg fov for comparison.  

Your not going to have any issues with shooting hogs with all these systems being discussed.

You need to handle which ever scopes your considering because Every person is different and what one likes another might not.  For me it was hands down the mk2.

Your last sentence boils it down. For example, I almost never hunt with a scope set with magnification at more than minimum, which is usually around 1.5x, and I rarely zoom a scope for a shot. I am definitely going to go with the MKII, but it will be the 19mm with 1.45x and 22 degree FOV.

But the D740 or the 35mm, 2.5x MKII, with 10-12 degrees of FOV, while fine for closer game are going to be relatively impotent at the 500yd range the OP wants to kill game at. But the high end thermal clip ons optimized for use with scopes with up to "5-6x"; "8x, but can be used with 10-12x"; 4-10x" (LWTS, FLIR T75, TC50 respectively, from TNVC) will be as good or probably better at rub your,leg range due to the greater FOV and better as the range stretches out.

JPK

Think of it this way, using a clip-on puts your gun out of balance. I go out for extended periods and clip-ons suck to carry around. They are designed for soldiers that need a 24 hour solution for a single weapon.

If you buy a MKII you get both a clip-on and a great dedicated system, the $10k you save over a T series will buy you a great sniper weapon to serve as your night time gun for your thermal scope and an ATV to drive around in.

Just food for thought.

I got a huge kick out of Scott's reply to my post. For the most part he is right,  however I checked his math and he is a bit off there. Assuming you buy the 19mm, 1.45x MKII and mount it dedicated or clip on on an AR type platform for your closer range hunting and shooting, buy a dedicated night time sniper rifle for the long range critter shooting at 500yds or so, add on a D790, or a 2.5x MKII to use as a clip on with a, say, 4x day optic for 10x un zoomed, you would have enough left over to buy a second hand ATV, but you won't have enough for a new ATV.

JPK
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 12:25:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I got a huge kick out of Scott's reply to my post. For the most part he is right,  however I checked his math and he is a bit off there. Assuming you buy the 19mm, 1.45x MKII and mount it dedicated or clip on on an AR type platform for your closer range hunting and shooting, buy a dedicated night time sniper rifle for the long range critter shooting at 500yds or so, add on a D790, or a 2.5x MKII to use as a clip on with a, say, 4x day optic for 10x un zoomed, you would have enough left over to buy a second hand ATV, but you won't have enough for a new ATV.

JPK
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just a thought, but in that price range it seems that features that enhance range capability adversely effect shorter range performance. For example, greater magnification is important for the very extended ranges you are talking about, but the greater magnification cuts down FOV, which is critically important in many shorter range night time situations, like hog hunting.

It seems to me that the only devices that allow long range use without negatively impacting more typical night ranges are the more expensive FLIR clip ons, Like Sky Pup's, or perhaps the LWTS.

A d-740 has a 10deg FOV and is my favorite nv (I2) scope that I've used.  I always thought it was perfect for up close out to 300 yards. Movers were never a issue either. Now when they run back at you and are brushing up against your legs. Drop your goggles back down and use your ir laser.

A 35mm mk2 has a 12 deg fov for comparison.  

Your not going to have any issues with shooting hogs with all these systems being discussed.

You need to handle which ever scopes your considering because Every person is different and what one likes another might not.  For me it was hands down the mk2.

Your last sentence boils it down. For example, I almost never hunt with a scope set with magnification at more than minimum, which is usually around 1.5x, and I rarely zoom a scope for a shot. I am definitely going to go with the MKII, but it will be the 19mm with 1.45x and 22 degree FOV.

But the D740 or the 35mm, 2.5x MKII, with 10-12 degrees of FOV, while fine for closer game are going to be relatively impotent at the 500yd range the OP wants to kill game at. But the high end thermal clip ons optimized for use with scopes with up to "5-6x"; "8x, but can be used with 10-12x"; 4-10x" (LWTS, FLIR T75, TC50 respectively, from TNVC) will be as good or probably better at rub your,leg range due to the greater FOV and better as the range stretches out.

JPK

Just food for thought.

JPK

Well, I cracked, and pulled the trigger, I went with the IR Hunter MkII 35mm, just got it this afternoon and have decided we are going to stock a few in our shop! This think is amazing, the turrets alone make it worth the purchase! The Pulsar I have is difficult to use at best. This thing is a snap, and everything in the software is very intuitive, even without the laminated flash cards (nice touch by the way) it's easy to understand and use. Within a few minutes of getting home, I spotted five deer in our south field that I would have never seen with a night vision scope, they were easily discernible at 500+ yards. Shortly there after I was able to see a bobcat in the tree line at the edge of our place. I knew one was out there, but had only caught glimpses of him! I'm glad I opted for the extra resolution of the 12 micron scope! Hats off to you IR Defense, if it holds up as well as it performs now, this should be one great scope!
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:42:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Good choice.  It's an awesome piece of gear for sure.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Scott
View Quote

Looking forward to it Scott!   I think this is an excellent move since very few people have the opportunity to do a hands on comparison before buying.   That and I have no doubt the IRD products will will really shine in a direct comparison.  

There is too much fog & FUD (Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt) being slung around the interwebs.   Using FUD, means they holding a weak hand.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 5:04:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, I cracked, and pulled the trigger, I went with the IR Hunter MkII 35mm, just got it this afternoon and have decided we are going to stock a few in our shop! This think is amazing, the turrets alone make it worth the purchase! The Pulsar I have is difficult to use at best. This thing is a snap, and everything in the software is very intuitive, even without the laminated flash cards (nice touch by the way) it's easy to understand and use. Within a few minutes of getting home, I spotted five deer in our south field that I would have never seen with a night vision scope, they were easily discernible at 500+ yards. Shortly there after I was able to see a bobcat in the tree line at the edge of our place. I knew one was out there, but had only caught glimpses of him! I'm glad I opted for the extra resolution of the 12 micron scope! Hats off to you IR Defense, if it holds up as well as it performs now, this should be one great scope!
View Quote

Congratulations!  I am very curious about the ease of use, and taking quick scans at ranges within 100 yards, especially for fast animals like cougars.  Can you please share some of your experience at close distance with the 35 mm lense?  I would really appreciate inputs from somebody who speaks from firsthand experience.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:11:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Congratulations!  I am very curious about the ease of use, and taking quick scans at ranges within 100 yards, especially for fast animals like cougars.  Can you please share some of your experience at close distance with the 35 mm lense?  I would really appreciate inputs from somebody who speaks from firsthand experience.  Thank you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I I didn't order the video cable initially, I will correct that on Monday and upload some pics the I've been capturing with it, been using it nightly and an learning a lot about the nocturnal movements of the deer, coyotes and bobcats on our place, they all seem to have their areas. Caught a deer right in our front yard last night, he was watching a rabbit. I'll say this, I have an Italian mastiff and I can see muscle detail in him at 25 yards at night. Found my cat hiding in an old truck back by our pool. It's not great inside about 5yrds because it blurs, but it's great outside of that range. FOV is awesome our past about 10yrds, inside that, it's a little tight. All in all, I do not regret my purchase at all!
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Congrats, looking forward to your photos.

JPK
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:56:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'll say this, I have an Italian mastiff and I can see muscle detail in him at 25 yards at night. Found my cat hiding in an old truck back by our pool. It's not great inside about 5yrds because it blurs, but it's great outside of that range. FOV is awesome our past about 10yrds, inside that, it's a little tight. All in all, I do not regret my purchase at all!
View Quote

So you don't think it is difficult to scan or track something within 25 yards?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:14:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

So you don't think it is difficult to scan or track something within 25 yards?  Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll say this, I have an Italian mastiff and I can see muscle detail in him at 25 yards at night. Found my cat hiding in an old truck back by our pool. It's not great inside about 5yrds because it blurs, but it's great outside of that range. FOV is awesome our past about 10yrds, inside that, it's a little tight. All in all, I do not regret my purchase at all!

Not at all.  Here is a comparison with some day scopes:

IRD mk2 35mm FOV:  12 deg

Day Scope..................................................Angular FOV (deg)
Leup VX-R 1.25-4x day scope. At 1.25x..........14.3
Leup VX-R 2-7x day scope. At 2x....................8.4
Leup VX-R 3-9x day scope. At 3x....................6.4
Leup VX-R 1.25-4x day scope. At 4x...............5.5
Leup VX-R 2-7x day scope. At 7x....................3.4
Leup VX-R 3-9x day scope. At 9x....................2.6
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:53:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sweeeet!  I've been looking for info like this for a while now, looking for a basis to compare the field of view, but most scopes don't provide degrees, only feet at 100 yards.  Thanks a lot.  Do you know the fov of a TA11?

Also, Odu, have tried the 19mm MK II as well?  I really am unsure which one to get for 25 to 300 yard use when tracking fast animals.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:03:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sweeeet!  I've been looking for info like this for a while now, looking for a basis to compare the field of view, but most scopes don't provide degrees, only feet at 100 yards.  Thanks a lot.  Do you know the fov of a TA11?

Also, Odu, have tried the 19mm MK II as well?  I really am unsure which one to get for 25 to 300 yard use when tracking fast animals.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can figure this for any scope yourself:
1-degree at 100yds is 5.235'
Take the fov rating of your scope in feet at 100yds, divide by 5.235, and end up with your answer as degrees of fov.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:04:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I calculated it as above.   Everyones needs are different and dependent on the type of areas most hunted, but for me, I would not want a 19mm.  I'd rather have a 50mm or 65mm if I had somerthing different.   IMO, people make too big a deal out of the FOV on thermal weapon scopes.  That is why I made that list.   When was the last time you felt like a 1.5x day scope had too narrow a view when hunting?   Unless it's 15-20 yds, it isnt gonna happen, for me anyway.   That is the area where a red dot shines over any magnified optic anyway.  

The Trijicon TA11 FOV is 5.5 deg.  That is less than 1/2 what the mk2 35mm has.

Another Reference:

Schmidt & Bender ShortDot 1.5 - 6x   @1.5x...........13.5 deg
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:26:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Only major difference compared to daytime optics is at night, FOV is all that you see.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:25:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Only major difference compared to daytime optics is at night, FOV is all that you see.
View Quote

Trying to turn a weakness of the FLIR scopes into a feature, I see.

I'm quite aware of that through years of experience.   I'm also aware that people's preferences, needs and the terrain they commonly hunt dictate different gear as being ideal for them that may not be for me.  I suggest you ponder this.

OK, here is a different example:

D-740 Gen 3 NV Scope 10 deg FOV  (I also own one of these).  

In the days before thermal came down to avg human prices, this was the go-to scope for anyone who could afford it and didn't need really long shots (D-760 6x).   I've never heard a single person complain about difficulties shooting up close and fast (30-50 yds running target) with a D-740, nor have I ever experienced it.   The FOV on the mk2 35mm is 20% larger.  
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:29:06 PM EDT
[#23]
The only weakness you have hunting at night is what you don't see.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:54:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's hardly the only weakness when we are talking about a weapon scope used to kill things.  How about positive target ID or shot placement?  Magnification helps just a wee bit with both of those.  Higher magnification = narrower FOV, day or night optic.   No free lunch.   Trading to 1x magnification from 2.5x in a weapon scope, to get a super huge FOV, there is a negative value in that for me.   If I hunted in heavily wooded areas like I see in your videos, maybe not.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#25]
LOL, that is what adjustable magnification is for!

Some like looking through a roll of toliet paper, others not so much!
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:06:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

What is the FOV on your $20,000 T-75?

Zingy one-liner ignoring inconvenient facts. <emoticon>

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:24:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, you mean it is for long range?

Note: LR does not stand for Short Range!

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:58:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Just for Reference:

SWFA SS HD 1-6x24: FOV @

1x - 18.0° (95'@100y)

2x - 9.0°

3x - 6.0°

4x - 4.5°

5x - 3.6°

6x - 3.0° (15.9'@100y)

Pulsar Apex XD50A

2x - 11.0° x 8.2° (H x V) (57.5' x 42.9')
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:20:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's hardly the only weakness when we are talking about a weapon scope used to kill things.  How about positive target ID or shot placement?  Magnification helps just a wee bit with both of those.  Higher magnification = narrower FOV, day or night optic.   No free lunch.   Trading to 1x magnification from 2.5x in a weapon scope, to get a super huge FOV, there is a negative value in that for me.   If I hunted in heavily wooded areas like I see in your videos, maybe not.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And there in is the problem with your comparison.  The D740 is secondary to running a PVS14 on a helmet generally.  The D740 is for shooting, not so much for scanning.  Most, due to $$, will only have one thermal.  So it has to do double duty for scanning as well as shooting.  The wider FOV is a bigger help in that regard than it is a hinderance in ID/shooting.

To compare to day scopes as you have, think wider FOV like a red dot, vs 75mm like 12x scope.  Which one is more the jack of all trades?

Different tools for different jobs, some tools just do "more" jobs better than other tools.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:27:08 AM EDT
[#30]
I understand now why people say SkyPup must be a FLIR employee.

Dude is a walking FLIR commercial.

To be honest, it's obnoxious.

Dial it back some man.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:38:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Dial it back some man.
View Quote

It's what he owns, so obviously he knows those products best.  I see the personal attacks on him as being more obnoxious personally.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:41:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Dial it back some man.
View Quote

Kind of obnoxious with your fairy tale.

Perhaps if you repeat it over and over again long enough it will come true?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

And there in is the problem with your comparison.  The D740 is secondary to running a PVS14 on a helmet generally.  The D740 is for shooting, not so much for scanning.  Most, due to $$, will only have one thermal.  So it has to do double duty for scanning as well as shooting.  The wider FOV is a bigger help in that regard than it is a hinderance in ID/shooting.

To compare to day scopes as you have, think wider FOV like a red dot, vs 75mm like 12x scope.  Which one is more the jack of all trades?

Different tools for different jobs, some tools just do "more" jobs better than other tools.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are talking about weapon scopes.  "The wider FOV is a bigger help in that regard than it is a hinderance in ID/shooting."  Wider than what?  What is perfect?  The most you can get is the best?  Is it the same for someone who hunts mostly open areas and someone who hunts thick cover and shoots 10-100yds as someone who very frequently has to ID cow/pig/deer at 500+ to avoid wasting a bunch of time stalking a non-target?    

Here is another data point:

Binoculars..................................................Angular FOV............ft/1000yds
Leup BX-4 Mckinley HD 8x42mm.....................8.1..........................425
Leup BX-4 Mckinley HD 10x42mm...................6.4..........................336

Would I want to walk in cover or drive looking though my 10x42 binoculars? No.  But they are a damn good tool scanning most areas I hunt.

I have a FLIR HS-307 65mm.  It has a 7deg FOV.  It's an excellent piece of gear.  It does exactly what I bought it to do.  Scan fairly open areas and make pos ID at long range.  It SUCKS in cover, but for me a 24deg FOV thermal would suck WAY worse, especially if it was the only thermal I had, bec I'd spend 75% of my time closing in on cows and deer to get within range to ID.  YMMV, and I get that too.

As I stated, I think the FOV fear is being overhyped by some here in regards to a thermal weapon scopes.  That is my opinion, and I am giving facts, data and my own personal experiences to explain why I feel that way, not just throwing out hyperbole, pics, and advertisements for a specific mfg.

The problem is the blanket statements.   SkyPup is very clearly not a typical case of someone simply talking about what they know.  He goes out of his way to throw fear/doubt/uncertainty at anything that isn't FLIR, has nothing but good things to say about everything that is FLIR, and it’s not just on THIS forum.  He definitely understands the tech well enough to see that there are products by other manufacturers in some niches that fit OTHER people's combo of needs and their BUDGET better, but refuses to acknowledge this.  That is bias.  He's welcome to have it, and spout it, but no one should be surprised when people point it out.  Especially when so many of his statements are made in a matter of fact way, when in reality it is only his opinion and what works well for him.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:36:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Really, some kind of religious conversion has occured, "it's only his opinion and is what works well for him."

True Dat!

Works very nicely I might add!

And when I get some other kit, I'll be sure to use it too...with your permission of course!
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Really, some kind of religious conversion has occured, "it's only his opinion and is what works well for him."

True Dat!

Works very nicely I might add!

And when I get some other kit, I'll be sure to use it too...with your permission of course!
View Quote

Sometimes I wonder if a 10 year old is typing behind your key board.

The above post laid out what most hunters experience in the various environments they hunt. Many come to this forum for both technical info
, and experiences they've had with many different pieces of equipment on the market.  Many have spent both time and money finding out what works best for the areas they hunt.  This is valuable info for people that visit this board in making a decision on what most feel like is a large investment.

The majority of your posts come across as a "jab" at another piece of gear, or a annoying statement that has no relevance for the discussion except bad mouthing a product you don't own.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:26:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks for chiming in, if you are afraid of the darkside, this might not be the best forum for you.

Perhaps you would be best to ignore all of them, much less to worry about?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:25:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for chiming in, if you are afraid of the darkside, this might not be the best forum for you.

View Quote

To be honest I don't pay to much attention of your spam adds, however it gets annoying when threads are continuously thrown off topic due to your childish comments.  Much like this thread is being taken in the same direction.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

To be honest I don't pay to much attention of your spam adds, however it gets annoying when threads are continuously thrown off topic due to your childish comments.  Much like this thread is being taken in the same direction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Excellent, thanks for taking the time to point that out once again, appreciate your concern and all the compliments.

We will be out late hog hunting on my property with all my FLIR thermal/NV gear again tonight for the umpteenth time, just let me know what other gear you think I should be using.

What, me worry?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:50:25 PM EDT
[#40]
NV forum drama never disappoints.  :(
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:04:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Back on topic.  All the data from the thread in one place, plus some new additions.

Day Scopes....................................Angular FOV (deg)
Leup VX-R 1.25-4x day scope. At 1.25x.........14.3
Leup VX-R 1.25-4x day scope. At 4x................5.5

Schmidt & Bender ShortDot 1.5 - 6x @1.5x..........13.5 deg
Trijicon TA11 3.5x................................................5.5 deg

SWFA SS HD 1-6x24: FOV @
1x - 18.0° (95'@100y)
2x - 9.0°
3x - 6.0°
4x - 4.5°
5x - 3.6°
6x - 3.0° (15.9'@100y)

Binoculars...................................Angular FOV
Leup BX-4 Mckinley HD 8x42mm......................8.1 deg
Leup BX-4 Mckinley HD 10x42mm....................6.4 deg

Thermal Scopes (x = optical magnification, w/o any e-zoom)
IR Defense Patrol 19mm 1x ............................22 deg
IR Defense MKII 19mm 1.5x ...........................22 deg
IR Defense MKII 35mm 2.5x ...........................12 deg

FLIR RS64 35mm 1.1x .................................18 deg
FLIR RS64 60mm 2x ....................................10 deg
FLIR RS32 19mm 1.25x ................................16 deg
FLIR RS32 35mm 2.25x ................................. 9 deg

Pulsar Apex XD38 50mm 1.5x ............................14.4 deg
Pulsar Apex XD50 50mm 2x ...............................11.0 deg
Pulsar Apex XD75 75mm 3x ...............................7.2 deg

Night Vision Scopes
D-740 4x .......................................................... 10 deg

If you compare FOV and magnification, The IRD products look especially good.

Example:
IR Defense MKII 35mm 2.5x ...........................12 deg  -  $6495.00
FLIR RS64 60mm 2.0x ....................................10 deg  -  $8999.00

- 20% better FOV AND 25% higher magnification, at the same time.  I guess I have to take back my "no free lunch" comment.
- $2500 less
- Better image quality from 12um core

This is why I bought one personally.  

Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:41:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Your chart is starting to take on good form. Thanks for compiling all that data.  It's very useful.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 6:11:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Am reviewing the IR Defense MKII 35mm, Flir T-70, Flir RS-64, and Armasight Apollo now, all 640 cores, scope pics and hopefully dead hog pics to follow later!
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Am reviewing the IR Defense MKII 35mm, Flir T-70, Flir RS-64, and Armasight Apollo now, all 640 cores, scope pics and hopefully dead hog pics to follow later!
View Quote

I expect a very biased review, but I will reserve judgement until then.

How about addressing what I posted above for now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

You've questioned me for months about me directing consumers to valid sources of information on the Armasight scope , funny how you now have the urge to review one - guess it'll be good as I can now direct them your way for first hand info.

It's too bad really that you didn't do this review sooner so that I could have avoided the questioning all along.

Who is providing the MKii and Armasight to you for this review?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You've questioned me for months about me directing consumers to valid sources of information on the Armasight scope , funny how you now have the urge to review one - guess it'll be good as I can now direct them your way for first hand info.

It's too bad really that you didn't do this review sooner so that I could have avoided the questioning all along.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And right after the damming data I posted too?  Coincidence no doubt.

HuntTXhogs, if you have the relevant data for popular Armasight scopes please send/post it and I'll add it.  I'm not very familiar with them and there are a lot of models.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dial it back some man.

Feel free to search my posts... That is the very first one that I've ever posted with your name in it (assuming you weren't a part of a quote tree) and I've been posting since 2005 with over 11K posts.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:12:59 PM EDT
[#48]
The Apollo models are clip ons with 1x magnification and they all share an 11*x9* FOV. 2015 Pro models come with either a 50mm lens or a 100mm lens, lens diameter and focal length are equal. I think there may also be a 75mm Pro model, but I don't see them for sale.

A strong performer according to those who use them and have access to other thermals to compare them with. They use FLIR 17um cores but Armasight chose more wisely and selected better screens for their Apollos and also their Zeuss thermal scopes.

JPK
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:30:01 AM EDT
[#49]
dbl tap
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Feel free to search my posts... That is the very first one that I've ever posted with your name in it (assuming you weren't a part of a quote tree) and I've been posting since 2005 with over 11K posts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dial it back some man.

Not a problem, I like your avatar, but I don't remember me ever telling you what you should be doing?

Perhaps if I did somewhere along the line, I apologize for the transgression.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top