Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2015 8:19:03 AM EDT
Some "biohackers" are injecting a chlorophyll analogue used to increase photosensitivty into human eyes and reporting an increase in night vision, apparently though this is a bit of quackery and not something truly scientific:

http://mic.com/articles/113740/a-team-of-biohackers-has-figured-out-how-to-inject-your-eyeballs-with-night-vision

This is their "scientific paper" which is rather quasi-scientific at best, they do not even measure the subjects ERG:

http://scienceforthemasses.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/AReviewonNightEnhancementEyedropsUsingChlorine6.pdf

Undoubtedly there could be some externally applied biochemical solution that could affect the rods night vision, but since each rod already responds to a single photon and there are allot less rods than cones, I don't think it could be of any lasting value in the long run.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:39:54 AM EDT
[#1]
What's the price for something like that?  20 Menthol Kools?  
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Even more asinine is their experiments to allow human vision into the Infrared wavelengths above 720nm similiar to NVOs.

This supposed study is called the Human NIR Visual Perception Project.

There is no way, shape or form that a retinal photoreceptor in a human can take, regardless of what you eat in your diet or what human genetics you inherited that will allow you to “see” infrared energy with your eyes. You can “feel” infrared energy through your skin and detect warmth and cold, but those parts of the electromagnetic spectrum are simply unavailable to visual systems.

These assclowns look like they will more likely end up in prision instead of a surgical suite.....Oh wait, that's right, they practice science in Kalifornica!

http://scienceforthemasses.org/infrared-project/

I wonder how these idiots mange to get their funding for these ridiculous studies?

Perhaps through reefer sales?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:34:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Where can I sign up?

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:45:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Experiment all you want on volunteers.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds a little risky. I'm holding out for night vision contact lenses
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Eye drops not injection for those wondering
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#8]
It is part of the cult of Transhumanism or H+.  Just like they are destroying our food supply with GMO, they intend to make GMO humans. These mad scientists think they can improve on old fashioned humans by changing DNA.  Their ultimate goal is to destroy what it means to be human and create a race of hybrid humans.  

Given enough time, they will accomplish it.  And, mankind will be finished.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Even more asinine is their experiments to allow human vision into the Infrared wavelengths above 720nm similiar to NVOs.

This supposed study is called the Human NIR Visual Perception Project.

There is no way, shape or form that a retinal photoreceptor in a human can take, regardless of what you eat in your diet or what human genetics you inherited that will allow you to “see” infrared energy with your eyes. You can “feel” infrared energy through your skin and detect warmth and cold, but those parts of the electromagnetic spectrum are simply unavailable to visual systems.

These assclowns look like they will more likely end up in prision instead of a surgical suite.....Oh wait, that's right, they practice science in Kalifornica!

http://scienceforthemasses.org/infrared-project/

I wonder how these idiots mange to get their funding for these ridiculous studies?

Perhaps through reefer sales?
View Quote

What?  Why not?  Vision is just the translation of electromagnetic energy into neuronal signals interpreted by our brain.  Why couldnt a mutation, or gene modification, not allow a new cell with sensitivity to that spectrum?
http://io9.com/under-the-right-conditions-humans-can-see-infrared-1665448040
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#10]
You can feel infrared with your skin senses, but your vision senses are never going to see it for your brain to process it.

The genes associated with vision in vertebrates are some of the most highly conserved and as such hardly ever change.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can feel infrared with your skin senses, but your vision senses are never going to see it for your brain to process it.

The genes associated with vision in vertebrates are some of the most highly conserved and as such hardly ever change.
View Quote

You changed this post, didnt you?

I agree that the genes are well conserved, but that doesnt mean that it cant be changed.  After all, vision as we know it came from no vision.....

Maybe not soon, but if there is a way to create/inject a pigment into the eye semsitive to that wavelength, it should work.  It wont be passed on to offspring, but it doesnt mean that one couldnt "opt in" for the treatment.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:45:56 PM EDT
[#12]
After being a research scientist in the molecular genetics of human vision for 35 years now, I seriously doubt it, maybe in some far off galaxy millions of light years away....
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:33:33 PM EDT
[#13]
As refined as eye lens replacement has become, I would imagine that an active lens made to order for the particular eye, holds more promise than chlorophyll.
I shall leave that compound to the plant kingdom and to breath mints.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:28:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Yeah, a solar powered implantable GaAs night vision intraocular lens, oh wait, it's dark at night.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Dang, guess my idea of putting my brain into a Cybernetic T-Rex with multispectral eyes isn't going to cut it.  

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#16]
It's either that or eat $10K worth of carrots!
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Ugh, I hate carrots so I'm going with the brain transplant lol.   You guys can flag me down if you see me, I'll give rides.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:24:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Obviously the stuff works because it's green...

David
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top