Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2014 9:43:32 PM EDT
I opened my new unit, installed battery, and turned on to see a scribble in the viewfinder and did quick inspection and the glass looks ok.  Is this normal?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you have the pinhole cover affixed? I have seen some odd squigles result from looking through the pinhole, if the aperture isn't circular.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you have the pinhole cover affixed? I have seen some odd squigles result from looking through the pinhole, if the aperture isn't circular.
View Quote

Pulled the cover off in darkness and when I illuminated, I could see the squiggles.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Is this from the amazon feeding frenzy?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Any chance you have pics?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:36:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I opened my new unit, installed battery, and turned on to see a scribble in the viewfinder and did quick inspection and the glass looks ok.  Is this normal?
View Quote

Put the cap on and let it run for a little while with the cap installed (in a dark place) It will most likely go away after running for a bit (15-30 minutes) if the 'squiggle' isn't too bad.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:39:30 PM EDT
[#6]
As has mentioned, the squiggles will disappear quickly with use. They appear when exposed to bright pinpoint light sources, like distant street lamps or headlights. They form streaks in all of the latest tubes. With use, those streaks disappear more and more quickly.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
As has mentioned, the squiggles will disappear quickly with use. They appear when exposed to bright pinpoint light sources, like distant street lamps or headlights. They form streaks in all of the latest tubes. With use, those streaks disappear more and more quickly.

View Quote

Thanks for the clarificaiton guys.

This is a new TNVC unit so I wanted to verify before assuming defective and returning.  If this continues after around 10 hours of use, should I be concerned?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 12:12:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This is a new TNVC unit so I wanted to verify before assuming defective and returning.  If this continues after around 10 hours of use, should I be concerned?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would be unlikely but yes, cause for a call to TNVC.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I had seen the same in mine. I kind of wrote it off to the change in temperature going from inside to out in the cold temps here in Ohio.Do not notice it when temps are more stable.the unit is nitrogen purged, Seems to disapate quickly,I also have the sacrificial lens and IR filter on May be going on between the lens and those
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:52:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They appear when exposed to bright pinpoint light sources, like distant street lamps or headlights.
View Quote

I have noticed this as well
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#11]

If it's a new unit from TNVC, just give them a call and they'll help you diagnose it :)

What I'd consider a squiggle would just be a dark streak caused by the unit looking at a bright light as it's moved around, leaving a black trail to follow it's path that can be seen for about a minute or so after startup and gradually fades - If that's all it is, then that's normal and isn't anything to worry about - most NV units in perfect working condition do that -

If it's something more serious, TNVC will help you work it out and take care of the problem for you -

Regards

David.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:36:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Another question for those that know best - Best type of battery to use?  Battery to avoid?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:40:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Another question for those that know best - Best type of battery to use?  Battery to avoid?
View Quote

allow me to copy the verbage from TNVC's December newsletter received today (get on the list):

**Night Vision Tactical Tip**

Stay Powered Up in the Cold  
by: Chip

We all remember last year's brutal winter temperatures (global warming, right?).  Well, this year is supposed to be just as bad.  With that said, it is more important than ever to use lithium batteries in your gear.  I know, I know: I've talked about this before.  But, it really makes a difference - especially in the cold.

Cold temperatures will highly accelerate the depletion of your batteries.  Lithium batteries will last a lot longer in these conditions and provide you more consistent voltage regulation throughout the night.  So, don't just grab the batteries out of your remote control.  Stay warm and stay safe out there!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Ha I just posted about this exact condition with my pvs 14.

I just figured mine was going out.

Glad to know its a common occurance
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#16]
This pinpoint light source is precisely the problem, I've had my 14 for 3 days now, and walking around my block with street lights leaves a pattern of squiggles that dissipate
rather quickly. Paying attention to  my steps "draw the pattern" from the light source wherever the tube crosses it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:29:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

allow me to copy the verbage from TNVC's December newsletter received today (get on the list):

We all remember last year's brutal winter temperatures (global warming, right?).  Well, this year is supposed to be just as bad.  With that said, it is more important than ever to use lithium batteries in your gear.  I know, I know: I've talked about this before.  But, it really makes a difference - especially in the cold.

Cold temperatures will highly accelerate the depletion of your batteries.  Lithium batteries will last a lot longer in these conditions and provide you more consistent voltage regulation throughout the night.  So, don't just grab the batteries out of your remote control.  Stay warm and stay safe out there!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought that would be the case with lithium batteries but I just purchased some Ultrafire TR 14500 rechargable Lithium batteries and when placed in unit, it auto shuts off.  Anybody else have this problem??
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:52:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:25:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I thought that would be the case with lithium batteries but I just purchased some Ultrafire TR 14500 rechargable Lithium batteries and when placed in unit, it auto shuts off.  Anybody else have this problem??
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ultrafire TR14500 are up to 4.6 volts each when fully charged! That's a lot more than the 1.2v expected from Lithium and WILL DAMAGE YOUR NIGHT VISION DEVICE. Don't EVER use Lithium Ion batteries in a NOD.

Energiser lithium are a different chemistry and only put out 1.2v per battery - 1.2v AA's are NEVER rechargable.

Regards

David
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:07:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ultrafire TR14500 are up to 4.6 volts each when fully charged! That's a lot more than the 1.2v expected from Lithium and WILL DAMAGE YOUR NIGHT VISION DEVICE. Don't EVER use Lithium Ion batteries in a NOD.

Energiser lithium are a different chemistry and only put out 1.2v per battery - 1.2v AA's are NEVER rechargable.

Regards
David
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regards
David

Besides Energizer, what brand lithium batteries would be recommended?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 4:16:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
<snip>
View Quote

The Energizer L91 is THE standard for AA Lithium batteries.  With the runtime offered by a PVS14 on a single battery there is no reason to run anything else imo.

ETA: Also, my L91's were 1.8V (instead of the nominal 1.5V the package states) when I tested them before putting them into my NQ6015 fwiw.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The Energizer L91 is THE standard for AA Lithium batteries.  With the runtime offered by a PVS14 on a single battery there is no reason to run anything else imo.

ETA: Also, my L91's were 1.8V (instead of the nominal 1.5V the package states) when I tested them before putting them into my NQ6015 fwiw.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

I just picked up 200 L91 / 2034  off FleaBay for $300 shipped ($1.50 / ea). Arrived bulk sealed exactly as-described.

Best price I could find for 2014 production L91 with original retail "Ultimate" badging.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
PLEASE DO NOT USE RECHARDS. Too many issues and with 38-42 hour continuous use, really never a reason to.

Vic
View Quote

Never go full rechard!
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 11:51:12 PM EDT
[#24]
lol, our new phrase for the NV forums.

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
<snip>

These have a initial output of 1.6 - 1.8V in my testing as well. I've never used them in my 14's because of that. I'm assuming that's overly cautious? How much is too much extra juice in a single battery unit?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#26]
For all my battery solution that require lithium I look for Panasonic
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top