Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds good, keep us posted on the results.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds good, keep us posted on the results.
View Quote

The interesting thing is the technician though it might be a display issue (the pixel). Maybe the optical parity software problem is related to the pixel problem?  I guess I'll find out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:00:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Sorry to bring an off topic question to your topic, but I thought it's close enough and I don't want to do a thread just for this.

The ATN Odin 6WBW 0.5X features a 48 x 36 degree FOV. Does someone know if that means what the sensor is seeing and what you see trough the ocular is only half that in degrees? The PVS14 ocular might handle the 46 degree HFOV so it's only a matter what sized the OLED display is, but if the 0.5X magnification number is correct and not only a name of the product to simplify things, then I suppose it's not unity like a PVS14 is.

A simple question made hard, here's in other words: does the device show objects like they are or do you see them shrunken in size (like the valleyrat1's M24)?
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:26:35 PM EDT
[#4]
valleyrat1, if you can after they looked at it can you let us know what the problem actually turned out to be?

It's interesting to see how it gets fixed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
valleyrat1, if you can after they looked at it can you let us know what the problem actually turned out to be?

It's interesting to see how it gets fixed.
View Quote

I wonder how specific they will be. I will probably get a vague answer like a software glitch or the fpa is bad or something.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:18:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I received a call back from FLIR. First off, so far my dealings with this company have been top notch. I described the parity issue and they confirmed that it is a problem, potentially software related. They reccomended I send it in for evaluation of both the bright pixel issue and the parity issue, which I will be doing.

The seller has also been great to deal with, he did not hesitate to offer a refund but we agreed it would be best to see what flir comes up with and go from there. I really hope it's a simple software fix. I really like this unit, aside from all the aforementioned issues.
View Quote

This is why I bought from FLIR.  This kind of customer service story is not unusual for them, but is very unusual in the marketplace.  For the value of purchase, I wanted this for my first thermal purchase.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been thinking about the parity issue. How could the device display an image smaller than 1x without A: a bigger sensor array that it would normally use for 1x (bigger than 640x480) or B: something going on optically, like the wrong lens is installed, in backwards, something like that.  It is currently focusing a thermal image smaller than 1x on the sensor array. Is my thinking correct?
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I've been thinking about the parity issue. How could the device display an image smaller than 1x without A: a bigger sensor array that it would normally use for 1x (bigger than 640x480) or B: something going on optically, like the wrong lens is installed, in backwards, something like that.  It is currently focusing a thermal image smaller than 1x on the sensor array. Is my thinking correct?
View Quote

It is, it does seem that way. It might also be the ocular that doesn't magnify the display enough, or like you said the focal length of the objective lens is too small.

Thinking out aloud: if the ocular was too far from the display would that do what's happening here? If it was moved closer you could probably still focus it properly by adjusting the diopter correction.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It is, it does seem that way. It might also be the ocular that doesn't magnify the display enough, or like you said the focal length of the objective lens is too small.

Thinking out aloud: if the ocular was too far from the display would that do what's happening here? If it was moved closer you could probably still focus it properly by adjusting the diopter correction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My initial reaction when viewing through the ocular was that the screen seemed small, but I have nothing to compare to.  This is the only m24 I have looked through. Comparing this unit to pictures of others I see online, nothing seems out of ordinary as far as the ocular assembly itself.  Perhaps the optics inside are screwed up. I guess flir will determine that.

Maybe someone who is viewing this thread who has an m24 could take a pic through their device? I took mine on my ipad with the camera placed as close to the ocular as possible.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Maybe someone who is viewing this thread who has an m24 could take a pic through their device? I took mine on my ipad with the camera placed as close to the ocular as possible.
View Quote

I tried to get some decent pics through my M24 and one of my PVS-14s using the US Night Vision iPhone adapter, but the M24 pics came out crap.
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 12:54:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I tried to get some decent pics through my M24 and one of my PVS-14s using the US Night Vision iPhone adapter, but the M24 pics came out crap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With the ipad I had to tap on the screen to focus on the crappy ipad camera on the m24 display and it finally brought things into focus. You could also try turning down the display brightness on the m24. I appreciate you giving it a go, thanks.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top