Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2014 9:17:37 PM EDT
only time ive used a hand held thermal was 20 something years ago while in the military,and wanted one since then.   ive been doing some research and found 3 diff ones, all within price wise or trades. im looking at the l3 x100xp, l3 x200xp, and flir ps32. while looking on here i also saw the ones that hook up to your phone as well, but not sure about those( how sturdy, distance looking though). im out in the country here and would use while camping or ever day life... them coyotes love my chickens, lol... like to spot them with these and switch to my nvg to take care of that problem.  i see the l3's use aa batteries, which is great, easy to find, even can steal l them out of the tv controller if i had to. While the flir, i could always use, if out and about, use one of them solar banks to charge it up for a fast charge.  ,im guessing. if im wrong with any of this,please let me know, please. i look at youtube to see the difference with all three, but its hard to tel,l with out them in hand and seeing with my eyes.
here what im trading or paying for.. got 3 different deals, but dont really know what trigger im going to pull..
the x100xp, i would be trading the guy a sig scorpion with crimson trace grips.
 the flir 32, i would be also trading the same pistol plus 500$ .
the x200xp, im still working on that guy, he wants no trades, so cash(harder to get) but somewhere im guessing around the 1500$ mark,guessing....
.guess im asking,,out of  them 3. is there that big of a difference? i saw the flir can change 3 diff settings, which is cool.. but read that  the L3 been used by are military as well, so that a big plus as in built good,
any other input would sure help this decision, thanks in advance
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:41:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly, for pure image quality, the Therm-App handily crushes all three of those models, *if* you don't mind using it attached to an Android phone. MUCH higher resolution, range detection, features, built-in video recording and photo-taking, interchangeable lenses, etc, etc.

Best of all, it's $1,000 brand new! (Plus Android phone).
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:11:08 AM EDT
[#2]
The pulsar quantum and atn ots-x are the two best decent priced thermals I've used.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:21:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Therm app or atn ots-x. Ive owned both.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#4]
look more into the therm-app, but I have a iphone, so that nixed for now. only option for the iphone is the flir one, and that isnt up to par comparing to the thermapp. those other two therms, listed above, are really great but way out of my price range. way out of my price range,so im down to the ones ive listed on my first post or wait and see if therm app will ever come out for the iphone.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
look more into the therm-app, but I have a iphone, so that nixed for now. only option for the iphone is the flir one, and that isnt up to par comparing to the thermapp. those other two therms, listed above, are really great but way out of my price range. way out of my price range,so im down to the ones ive listed on my first post or wait and see if therm app will ever come out for the iphone.
View Quote

FWIW I picked up a galaxy S3 on craigslist for $100 bucks to use with my Therm-App.

Link Posted: 11/8/2014 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#6]
You can buy someone's old android s3 galaxy for $100 on craigslist. You dont need a service plan, just wifi. So even at $1100, its still within your budget and you'd be getting a 384x288 thermal imaging device.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:07:28 AM EDT
[#7]
might have to look into that: any other cheap andriod phones that would run this?
hopefully last question..... saying your using this outside. if someone was looking at me, would the glare from the screen light me up? as in, i hate to be on my roof of my chicken pen and scare off my predators at night, them seeing a floating glowing head in the sky from the glare from the screen, lol
but i think yall have sold me on this thing.
thanks
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:11:22 AM EDT
[#8]
was looking on ebay at the s3's. there all diff models,, will any model run this? or anything else i should be aware of.. been with apple way to long so no clue about the galaxies..
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:39:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
might have to look into that: any other cheap andriod phones that would run this?
hopefully last question..... saying your using this outside. if someone was looking at me, would the glare from the screen light me up? as in, i hate to be on my roof of my chicken pen and scare off my predators at night, them seeing a floating glowing head in the sky from the glare from the screen, lol
thanks
View Quote

I got a prepay Boost Mobile Moto-G at Walmart for less than $100 and never activated it. It's just dedicated to the Thermapp.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 11:50:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
thanks
View Quote

This one
Good battery life and "gorilla glass" screen is supposedly scratch proof. You can dim the screen in the settings, and there are some free screen dimmer aps
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:24:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This one
Good battery life and "gorilla glass" screen is supposedly scratch proof. You can dim the screen in the settings, and there are some free screen dimmer aps
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
thanks

This one

I use an app called twilight it lets you dim the screen and change the color profile
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 12:45:39 PM EDT
[#12]
The OTS-X is an awesome choice (if you have 2500-3500), but you mentioned interest in the thermal eye units.   They can be found cheap used, and perform well. I had the x50 model and it did very well for how low cost it was.  I cant image a android phone would do better than that same unit with the x100 or x200 sensor in it.  Thermal prices used are dropping big time.
I would suggest an x100 or even better the x200 since you have deals in the works.   It will pick up hogs and coyotes at 2-300 yards.  Very good performance for the price.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 3:20:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The OTS-X is an awesome choice (if you have 2500-3500), but you mentioned interest in the thermal eye units.   They can be found cheap used, and perform well. I had the x50 model and it did very well for how low cost it was.  I cant image a android phone would do better than that same unit with the x100 or x200 sensor in it.  Thermal prices used are dropping big time.
I would suggest an x100 or even better the x200 since you have deals in the works.   It will pick up hogs and coyotes at 2-300 yards.  Very good performance for the price.  
View Quote

I've owned the x50xp, an x150xp, and used an x320 XP. For the $, Therm App destroys the x50-x150. The x320 is better, but its also 3-4x the price of Therm App.

That is a sweet price on the Moto G. I would definitely go that route with it being brand new.
Link Posted: 11/8/2014 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This one
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
thanks

This one

Yep, that's the one I got too for the same price. It's perfect for the Therm-app.
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've owned the x50xp, an x150xp, and used an x320 XP. For the $, Therm App destroys the x50-x150. The x320 is better, but its also 3-4x the price of Therm App.

That is a sweet price on the Moto G. I would definitely go that route with it being brand new.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard to believe something that's only 1000 bucks brand new can perform like that, it definitely has my interest.  
Link Posted: 11/9/2014 2:02:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Thermapp rocks. Everyone should get one.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 6:46:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone have any pics of  the Thermapp view?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 7:53:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Does anyone have any pics of  the Thermapp view?
View Quote

Here
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#19]
I have my concerns about Therm App, its build quality, and how long it will last. The machining on the lens threads feels like it is out of spec. - My threads are so loose, that the lens would wobble out under use. I read of one other user here having the same issue. I'm guessing there are more. With that being said, a $1.00 roll of teflon plumbers tape fixes the problem, and likely also makes that threaded portion completely water resistant now.

The Germanium Lens extends beyond the Aluminum Housing so it can scratch, but a $0.50 rubber chair scuff pad fixes that.

I also have concerns over a Micro USB Port for connectivity, because the ports are prone to failure through heavy use.

With all of that being said, the device is revolutionary at its current price-point. Nothing can really compete with it, and if the development team is as open to criticism and suggestion as they seem to be, then the product definitely has a place in my gear bag. The image quality is exceptional. If this was 30Hz, I wouldn't be able to justify spending $ on anything else. I am anxiously awaiting the new software release, hoping it addresses some of our current suggestions.

I also think having the device tethered to a phone is a blessing and a curse. Its nice to be able to have a pda/reader with a camera on a secondary device. You can keep manuals, guides, etc on the device, and still use it for taking normal pictures, too.

I'm generally pretty critical of Therm App, but its mostly because I genuinely enjoy the device, and I want to see them get it right in all aspects.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:47:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A phone's display will give off a lot of light. Not only that, it lights up your face which is a dead giveaway. For a little more I would check out the Pulsar HD19A for $2k.  
View Quote

not with filter apps. I can dim mine down enough to still be visible with my naked eye, and be a very soft glow through thermals. I couldn't even tell it was glowing from 50 yards
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:23:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:39:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

not with filter apps. I can dim mine down enough to still be visible with my naked eye, and be a very soft glow through thermals. I couldn't even tell it was glowing from 50 yards
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A phone's display will give off a lot of light. Not only that, it lights up your face which is a dead giveaway. For a little more I would check out the Pulsar HD19A for $2k.  

What app are you using to dim the display? I'd like to try that. There's a brightness setting that is native to the settings option on the phone itself. How is this app different? I'm supposing that it is easier to use with an adjustment right on the screen?
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:41:21 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
What app are you using to dim the display? I'd like to try that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am using Screen Dimmer, works great.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 1:42:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup. I suggest paying the $2 for the pro version so you can set color shade (I like brown). Also with the pro version you can set it so when you start the dimmer Therm-app automatically boots up as well.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What app are you using to dim the display? I'd like to try that. There's a brightness setting that is native to the settings option on the phone itself. How is this app different? I'm supposing that it is easier to use with an adjustment right on the screen?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

there are several apps that will dim the screen all the way to black. search for screen dimmer or screen filter or privacy filter in the app store. I can dim it enough to view through my pvs14.

there are also numerous brands of privacy film screen protectors. they blacken the screen image when viewed from an angle, but leave the touchscreen useable. they are meant to keep the person sitting next to you on the bus or airplane fron snooping on you.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 11/22/2014 5:55:42 AM EDT
[#27]
just order my therm-app yesterday. thanks everyone for the input. just need to get my phone and all set
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top