Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/7/2014 2:56:28 AM EDT
I just picked up a new Recon Scout IR. It's a seriously cool little "Throwbot" that is remotely controlled with wide angle FPV using a camera that is surprisingly sensitive in low light and, when lighting conditions drop below a certain threshold, the active IR will kick in. It's designed for "Teams" to throw through a window or into a door from over 100-feet away (it's a *tough* little mother) so it can silently scout out the bad guys holed up inside.

Of course, for me it's just another way to terrorize my felinus domesticus. I'll get some video of my cat-terrorizing antics along with some nifty photos of this cool little unit.

Alas, it's sadly priced in the realm of absurdity for such a small, relatively unitask "robot."

Here's a YouTube fluff piece of one of the Recon Scouts in action, which is much cooler than the stuff I'll be able to get.

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 8:38:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn thats badass. That would be EXTREMELY useful in CQB environments. (If there was time available to use/deploy it) One of those "why didn't I think of that?" moments.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:37:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#3]
That looks awesome!  Damn $9k retail! You can get an R/C jetcat turbine helicopter for under that price!  

You've done it again Horta!! You get all the expensive cool toys that make all of us jealous! At this point I wouldn't be too surprised if you announced you bought a M1 Abrams  Tank!
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#4]

I really think it needs to be equipped with a hand grende as I would imagine that would save our guys from having to go in to zip these cheese dicks.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 10:33:29 AM EDT
[#5]
That poor cat.

The video's got to be hilarious though!

I'm sort of curious how the cow's might react to that thing lol.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#6]
We were issued some made by Remington that were about the size of a grenade (slightly larger) with digital NV. Pretty cool little tool, but without planning, could be a detriment. The illuminator was so freaking bright, you might as well of had a red mag light on it. It moved by rolling, which was controlled with a remote and a little hand held screen.

The best uses for it always happens to be stuff it wasn't made for!
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 2:40:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought it on a whim and didn't pay even half of what it normally sells for -- and it is brand new, etc.

It's cool, but it's definitely not make for rough (or even outdoor) terrain. As was mentioned, it's really designed for CQB recon. If your targets have NV they'll see it coming, for sure. The LEDs are small and aren't readily visible unless you're looking directly at it while it's pointed at you.

Our 5-week-old piglet (lone survivor of 11) was all over it outside, while the dogs kept a minimum safe distance from the thing, but followed it everywhere it went. On tile and carpet it's silent and virtually undetectable. On linoleum it's louder and can be audibly detected from about 10 feet.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 4:30:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Gotta see that piglet!

This was ours right after killing her mom and siblings

Link Posted: 11/7/2014 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#9]
They are kina cute when they're small like that.

Our local hardware store kept one years ago, her name was Paulene....

She got bigger than this photo later on though...

I know, we live in Green Acres out here.
Link Posted: 11/7/2014 5:30:30 PM EDT
[#10]
We kept ours until about 80lbs and gave her to my buddies aunt who has a pretty nice little farm
She is pretty big now and still knows her name. still comes a running.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, one of these just popped up on my radar and it's mine if I want it!

I really, REALLY want it.  

PDF Datasheet for iRobot XM1216 SUGV

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6-P4MlSl8k

View Quote

I'm speechless
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:43:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

but all of the cool kids are rocking a 240B or at least a SAW on their bots but I would opt for the one at the end of the vid that is equipped with the snow plow.
If I could plow snow from inside the house life would be complete.

Link Posted: 11/19/2014 6:51:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just do it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 12:09:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's stoppin ya!!

Also Horta, if you ever need to get rid of anything at a discount price hit me up to many fun toys you have.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:07:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I've used a Throwbot in afghanistan. Threw one over a wall and it broke.

More of a hassle than they are worth imo.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've chucked mine all over hell, a couple of times over 100' just to see how it held up, and it just keeps on smilin'  

It really messes with guys when you tell them it's a $9,000 toy, and then hurl it viciously down a gravel road. The look on their faces is... priceless.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I've chucked mine all over hell, a couple of times over 100' just to see how it held up, and it just keeps on smilin'  

It really messes with guys when you tell them it's a $9,000 toy, and then hurl it viciously down a gravel road. The look on their faces is... priceless.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a toy it'd be fun.

Now a SUGV is a useful robot.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 7:56:06 PM EDT
[#20]
How about this for a robot:

http://www.oceaneering.com/rovs/rov-systems/maxximum-rov/

They are seriously bad ass with a skilled crew and support vessel, particularly when there are two of them working together.

A bit more than $9K retail though.
Link Posted: 11/20/2014 9:04:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

We killed a brand new one with a flashbang. Sure a close banger is no joke, but for what they are designed to do they should be bang-proof.

Also very short range on the transmitter, limited battery life, and limited to pretty tame terrain. Pretty neat for a house, but limited in what they can do. Two way audio capabilities would be a nice addition.

Way overpriced, should be about a fifth of what they cost considering they are basically half an RC car with a go-pro.
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We killed a brand new one with a flashbang. Sure a close banger is no joke, but for what they are designed to do they should be bang-proof.

Also very short range on the transmitter, limited battery life, and limited to pretty tame terrain. Pretty neat for a house, but limited in what they can do. Two way audio capabilities would be a nice addition.

Way overpriced, should be about a fifth of what they cost considering they are basically half an RC car with a go-pro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, the Recon Scout IR is definitely made for terrain no rougher than a gravel driveway, but it is made for indoor use, as the video(s) demonstrate, and for that it works great.

Since I wasn't happy with the limited terrain possibilities I done went and added it's slightly tougher brother -- the Recon Scout XT, which is designed for more problematic terrain and, with stronger motors, it can go where the indoor version cannot. Heck, it lists for only a measly $4,000 more than it's whimpy indoor-only $9,000 sibling.

Two is one, one is none!  

Gratuitous whore shot:

Still trying to decide which scope I prefer -- the US Optics LR-17 or the SB PMII.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 1:46:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well, the Recon Scout IR is definitely made for terrain no rougher than a gravel driveway, but it is made for indoor use, as the video(s) demonstrate, and for that it works great.

Since I wasn't happy with the limited terrain possibilities I done went and added it's slightly tougher brother -- the Recon Scout XT, which is designed for more problematic terrain and, with stronger motors, it can go where the indoor version cannot. Heck, it lists for only a measly $4,000 more than it's whimpy indoor-only $9,000 sibling.

Two is one, one is none!  

http://huntsvillebible.com/images/biff/hexacopter/211none_01.jpg

http://huntsvillebible.com/images/biff/hexacopter/211none_02.jpg

Gratuitous whore shot:
http://huntsvillebible.com/images/biff/hexacopter/211none_03.jpg

Still trying to decide which scope I prefer -- the US Optics LR-17 or the SB PMII.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Two is one, one is none!  

http://huntsvillebible.com/images/biff/hexacopter/211none_01.jpg

http://huntsvillebible.com/images/biff/hexacopter/211none_02.jpg

Gratuitous whore shot:
http://huntsvillebible.com/images/biff/hexacopter/211none_03.jpg

I love the EREK knob on the USO and the glass on the Bender is nice, but the turrets made me go with USO on a few rifles. The new Vortex 4.5-27 is quite nice too.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:07:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Dat a nice scope. It looks unicornish.
Link Posted: 11/27/2014 2:54:35 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Dat a nice scope. It looks unicornish.
View Quote

More Dillo-ish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top