Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2014 10:45:10 AM EDT
So I recently acquired an ANVIS 6 that needs some minor repairs.

Is anyone aware of an ANVIS 6 breakout diagram that will show me all of the pieces? I need to replace one of the housing tubes, which I have already ordered. Any hints/suggestions would be great, since this will be the first ANVIS I've torn apart. I understand the eyepiece unscrews like a standard PVS-14 and the tube removes via a locking ring. My confusion comes from how the objective is secured in place, because I don't see any type of objective locking ring.

About the objective lenses - how are those locked in place? Do they just screw in, or are those generally glued on to the housing?

I think this is the objective lens setup I have. http://wilcoxeng-res.com/eBay/ANVIS6ObjAssysm.jpg
However, I was hoping someone would have a link that lists the part names/numbers along with the parts.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Objective lens is held in place by a lock ring inside the body tube. Just like a PVS-14. You need a special tool to remove it but if you are handy you can fashion something that will work. I am sure if you Google AVS-6 or AVS-9 you can find the tech manual online for download. They are similar scopes so either one should help you.

Dino
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]
What is this part (arrow pointing to it).

Here is the Breakout Diagram - just need some part names should I need to order stuff.

I know for sure I'm missing #5 & 6 on at least one side. I'm guessing its missing from both sides. The objective lens has some slop in it, which feels like it is missing some kind of spacer.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Objective lock ring. Go to this link and it lists all the parts and part numbers.

http://nvdepot-px.rtrk.com/13-parts/AVS6parts.asp

If you click on the part it even shows you pictures. I could be wrong and maybe it is a snap ring that holds it in. It is one or the other. Been a long time since I took an AVS-6 completely apart.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#4]
This is pretty much the assembly I'm working with in the above diagram. I have a lock ring, but I really thought it was just a stop ring like what is on a PVS-14.

Looks like #5 and #6 are what is missing. I can't even find names for them on that list of parts you posted, unfortunately. Was a huge help for everything else, though.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:46:44 PM EDT
[#5]
#5 appears to be the wave washer (never knew it was called that). I can't tell what #6 is without better pics.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#6]
#6 is also that thing with the arrow pointing at it in the first picture.

Looks like #5 is the wave washer. For some reason that thing looked huge and I thought it was elsewhere. lol. This is good - I leave all these images on my server, so as these threads get cached in google, it should help someone else, so I'll update the part name if we can figure out #6.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:19:31 PM EDT
[#7]
no.6 is the locking disk and the bit that sticks out goes in to the biggest slot so you can get enough  movement to focus the lens
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:40:25 PM EDT
[#8]
excellent. Thank you. I sent an email to various vendors hoping someone can help me find the parts. Thanks again everyone. If you know someone or a vendor with any of these items, please let me know.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#9]
to complete your diagram it is part no. 5002551
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#10]
So, my wife took the kids to grandma and grandpa's house so this is how I spent part of my day after work. Still waiting on the replacement housing. On a positive note, I know how to dissect an ANVIS 6.  As suspected, #5 & #6 are missing from both sides.

Threads sheared off on the left housing (right side in the picture) right after the locking ring. The objective locking ring is likely shot because it was glued on. It might come off the threads, but it might be more work than its worth if I can buy a new ring for ~$10. This housing looks older, and has metal shielding inside. The other side has a different housing and looks to be the newer style.

It actually wasn't terribly hard to tear down, but it was a little tricky to figure out how to drop the old housing off the bridge. From here, I just need my new housing to arrive, so I can solder it in. After that, I will probably blast the completed housing with some Coyote Brown Alumahyde II, and some matte black on the objective and ocular lenses.

If anyone else has #5, #6, an objective o-ring, an 18mm ocular o-ring, or an objective locking ring for an anvis setup that you want to sell, IM me. :-)

And for some pictures.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:11:24 PM EDT
[#11]
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ITT-L3-LITTON-AN-AVS-9-F4949-F5050-NIGHT-VISION-FLIGHT-GOGGLE-MONOCULAR-HOUSING-/230782118370?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35bbafa9e2
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I actually already have one of those on the way to me. I was hoping it would get here before the ANVIS did, but it didn't. lol.

Now, I just need to source the other parts... I think this is a pretty early anvis setup, so I'm hoping I can find the parts, so I don't have to try and build something to fix it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks like a fun build. Good luck with it !!
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:31:43 PM EDT
[#14]
it will be a nice thing when you get it done - you have the later rear lenses -which are nice - what tubes do you have there ?
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Its a set of older mx-10160's. I may or may not be replacing the tubes. They are really clean, but they have a lot of scintillation in really dark environments.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 5:17:30 AM EDT
[#16]
depends on the age - some of the omni3 can be very nice but when you get to around 1999 ish  onwards , when they changed to p43 phosphor (the yellower color ) that was much nicer , the older ones blur when moved quick in the dark as the p20 phosphor does not refresh quickly enough i find. any numbers on the tubes you have?
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:39:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Tubes are from 1990. I'm actually working on getting a set of omni vii replacements, but i'm not entirely sold on replacing them, yet.

I compared the tubes to my omni vii pvs-14 and there was more scintillation in darker environments. The phosphor color actually looked about the same, though. I didn't notice any delay in the refresh when moving my head around, though.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:00:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Okay, I got the replacement housing. Went to work and soldered it all up. I am having some difficulty finding locking disk, and wave washer, so I just backed out the objective locking ring some to take up some of the slack. I just can't unscrew the objective all the way, until I get the locking disk.

Both tubes are peppered with small blems - I wasn't sure if it was dust or blems, but they don't seem to be blowing off. lol.. The MCP is pretty visible in the left tube. These aren't any where near as good as my Pinnacle PVS-14, but this ANVIS-6 is completely usable.

The housing replacement wasn't too bad. It was hard to solder since I had to keep fighting the ribbon cable.

I have a low profile battery pack on the way, and I will likely just grab the gentext mount and build another cheap Protect Ace bump helmet to attach the gentext mount to.

Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Well, i found a source for the wave washers. No luck on the locking disk, though. I was told that i can convert my -6 objectives to -9 objectives for $250, but i'd rather avoid that since i really just need $10-20 in parts to complete these. They are still fully functional without the missing parts, as long as i remember not to unscrew the objective lens all the way out. Lol.

Any more ideas? Also, does anyone have any idea as to what a pair of brand new -9 style objectives with lenses cost and who sells them? If i had to upgrade, i rather just get new glass, too.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 8:48:20 AM EDT
[#20]
i have a locking disk here - its been in the wars a bit but i think it will be functional -  let me know if you want it
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#21]
absolutely. it gets me half way there, or at least it gives me a starting place so I can fab up a matching pair.

I'll PM you.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:53:00 PM EDT
[#22]
i did not realize you needed 2 but if you got this one i think it would be easy enough to turn another out on the lathe / mill
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 3:41:51 PM EDT
[#23]
That was exactly my plan. :-)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top