Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 10:56:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:58:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

wounder if there is a easy way to mount this to the DJI phantom for a live thermal feed?
View Quote

Barring a fancier solution...  You could always leave it on a phone attached to the DJI and then point a FPV camera at it for viewing while in flight.  It's not the best solution but it would work.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:45:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Barring a fancier solution...  You could always leave it on a phone attached to the DJI and then point a FPV camera at it for viewing while in flight.  It's not the best solution but it would work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
wounder if there is a easy way to mount this to the DJI phantom for a live thermal feed?

I am planning on putting it on my S900 since it can handle the weight.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Got my iOS camera ordered yesterday.

My question is: can you get an extension cable so that you do not have to mount it directly to the phone? IE: mount the camera behind a spotting scope and hold the phone in your hand. One end of the cable would need a lighting connector male, other end would be lighting connector female. Amazon did not show to have a cable like that.

edit: found this: http://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Extension-Through-dockXtender-CableJive/dp/B00GP08858 Does anyone see why this would not work?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Placed my IOS order 12/15 and shipped 12/17 with tracking number!
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 2:55:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Got my iOS camera ordered yesterday.

My question is: can you get an extension cable so that you do not have to mount it directly to the phone? IE: mount the camera behind a spotting scope and hold the phone in your hand. One end of the cable would need a lighting connector male, other end would be lighting connector female. Amazon did not show to have a cable like that.

edit: found this: http://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Extension-Through-dockXtender-CableJive/dp/B00GP08858 Does anyone see why this would not work?
View Quote

I think that would be fine, but I don't own one of these thermal cameras and I have never used one of those cords... So my opinion is useless.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 9:09:46 PM EDT
[#7]
The extension cable should work.

On Seek's website, there was a statement concerning Android phones that have the USB backwards for the camera. Basically the camera would only be useful for thermal "selfies" for certain Android devices. Seek suggested a powered USB on the go cable. However their link didn't go to a cable in stock.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine should be here today!!
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

iOS version?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

iOS version?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

iOS version?

I sure hope so

Tracking shows it to be on the fedex truck right now and they normally run around 2-3pm. I will post as soon as I get it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Question: can a thermal device like the SEEK be paired with a day optic to increase range?
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I sure hope so

Tracking shows it to be on the fedex truck right now and they normally run around 2-3pm. I will post as soon as I get it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

iOS version?

I sure hope so

Cool!  I'll be eagerly awaiting your (and skypup's) review.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Fed-X says I get mine tomorrow, hoping I can run it off my I-Pad too, also I have the extension cable already.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#14]
IT'S HERE!

In the first few minutes of playing with it, I am really impressed for its price tag - easily see moving traffic at 150+yds. I'll post photos/vid later tonight when I get a chance to play with it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2014 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 11:42:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Seek Thermal Specs:

Detect Human -> 1,000 feet

Recognize Human-> 250 feet

ID Human-> 150 feet

206 x 156 Array
32,136 Thermal Pixels
12 µ Pixel Pitch
Vanadium Oxide Micro Bolometer
Chalcogenide Lens
36º Field of View
Magnesium Housing
Long Wave Infrared 7.2 – 13 Microns
-40C to 330C Detection

Got the Seek Thermal camera today and just trying it out, so far I am impressed with it.

It rained 4.5 inches here last night and still drizzling and kinda foggy but I can still see the trees across my gator pond 250 yards away in white and black hot. It works real good in both of those modes, but has about 8 more color pallets, some of which I had not seen before and are very cool looking. Plus you can configure each to display specific temperatures, gradients, etc. very nice software package for this instrument.

It is 100% pure thermal and does not have the visible light integrate camera with the FLIR MMX technology of the FLIRONE, but for a pure thermal camera that cost me $179, it is outstanding and a super good buy.

It comes with a nice heavy duty protective carrying storage case. I did get the extension cable too and that works like a charm.

The really good news for me is that it also works with my I-Pad too with the cable and all, very very nice. Glad that I can use it with either the I-Phone or the I-Pad.

Too bad this did not come out earlier for the I-Phone as it would make a nice gift for the grandkids...

Here are some stoopid selfies until the weather changes and I can try this out in the woods. So far, preliminary testing appears to be to detect a hog out at least 250 yards.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Another thing I do like about this kit is that it has a nice 36 degree FOV!
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 12:23:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the run down, Skypup. Much appreciated. Can't wait to get mine.
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:21:33 PM EDT
[#19]
It was pouring rain last night so I did not get to test mine outdoors, but here are a few shots in the living room and office.

Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:23:19 PM EDT
[#20]

The miniature blue heeler could be mistaken for a piglet in this photo, lol
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 2:24:14 PM EDT
[#21]
So far my favorite color palates are the White Hot and Black Hot.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 12:33:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
So far my favorite color palates are the White Hot and Black Hot.
View Quote

Me too!

Link Posted: 12/24/2014 1:31:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Does it still have the gradient spot in the corner that was causing an issue?  I am not seeing it in any of the pictures?
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 2:54:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Seek Thermal dead hog on ground, 75*F, rainy mist, pea soup fog, 75 yards, White Hot:

Seek Thermal dead hog on ground, 75*F, rainy mist, pea soup fog, 75 yards, Black Hot:

Based on my initial use, sighting a hog at 200 yards is GTG under normal weather conditions.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:12:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Ordered!

Sky pup- IF the seek was your only thermal means, how would you use it for scanning for game? Do you spot/stalk hogs in the open?
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 8:48:16 AM EDT
[#27]
You certainly can scan off a stand with one for any thermal signature and investigate that with other NV means or use it for finding downed game in the brush day or night.

Positive ID for actually targeting something to begin with is NOT within its realm however.
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:01:25 AM EDT
[#28]
figured there was a thread but didn't find it

did a small write-up

http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2014/12/seek-thermal.html
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:54:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Saw this today, protective case for the seek camera when used with a cable. $21

http://www.shapeways.com/model/2944122/seek-thermal-dock.html?li=shortUrl
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#30]
android seek app has been updated to 1.7.4.

-gradient appears totally fixed
-resolution appears to look better
-scaling of the color palettes seems to be improved to give better detail in low variation scenes

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#31]
IOS Apple app is also updated too.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks guys!! This is what I was waiting for... I just pulled the trigger on a Seek Thermal.... LWIR world... here I cooome!!!

I also begun construction of a PVS-7... so it should be interesting! :)

Thanks!!

G.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#33]
After SHOT Show and CES 2015, I'm on the fence about getting the Seek Thermal for my Android Lenovo Tablet. I have a birthday coming up in March and my fiance is asking what I would like. She said she's fine with getting me a Seek. However with the new Flir One coming out and the Torrey Pine thermals, wondering if I should wait to see what comes out later this year.

As a side note, for my tablet to use the Seek, I'd have to use an extension cable since the USB port is backwards. The tablet has a 7in screen too. Not sure how well thermals would look on it. Plan is to use it for scanning outdoors and identify with NVGs. Also hope to use around the house for various utility/handy work.
Link Posted: 1/29/2015 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#34]
New model of the Seek, the Seek XR announced at ces. On sale now at their website and amazon for $300. Features a lens that turns in order to focus or adjust the depth of focus. Something like that.

Link Posted: 1/29/2015 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Does anybody know how to disable the automatic contrast scaling on the app? It is very frustrating that everything goes from white to black if something hot appears on the screen...

G.
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
After SHOT Show and CES 2015, I'm on the fence about getting the Seek Thermal for my Android Lenovo Tablet. I have a birthday coming up in March and my fiance is asking what I would like. She said she's fine with getting me a Seek. However with the new Flir One coming out and the Torrey Pine thermals, wondering if I should wait to see what comes out later this year.
View Quote

the Torrey Pine  t-10 is only 80 x 60 pixels   and ill bet the new Flir will be just as crappy
http://tplogic.com/thermal-solutions/t10/
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#37]
I guess I'm runied by the Therm-App. This thing is just too low res to be of interest to me.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#38]
Question for those who have used this device for a while now: would you pay another $100 to get the just-announced Seek XR with manual focus and more zoom?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Question for those who have used this device for a while now: would you pay another $100 to get the just-announced Seek XR with manual focus and more zoom?
View Quote

No.

I ordered one of the first units for IOS, (Apple) when they first came out and finally got one after a few months of false starts.

It's a decent unit, works well and has a lot of features, but $200 seems about right, and the magnification doesn't appeal to me.  If I didn't have one or hadn't tried one out, I might be tempted, but $300 is too much for my curiosity.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 6:48:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Well, apparently the Seek Thermal is now 250$ on amazon? It changed overnight...
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well, I don't have one, but like the guy above me, I noticed that the basic model is $250, so I'd spend the extra $50 for the narrower FOV.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No.

I ordered one of the first units for IOS, (Apple) when they first came out and finally got one after a few months of false starts.

It's a decent unit, works well and has a lot of features, but $200 seems about right, and the magnification doesn't appeal to me.  If I didn't have one or hadn't tried one out, I might be tempted, but $300 is too much for my curiosity.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

The XR has larger lens so it doubles the range to 2000 feet.  I'd go with XR if I were to buy one.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Will this camera see hot water lines behind drywall or see the septic tank through the ground? I'm looking for leak
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Will this camera see hot water lines behind drywall or see the septic tank through the ground? I'm looking for leak
View Quote

hot water lines behind sheet rock, yes, if the water is running.

i used mine today to spot which chimney flu was doubling as a water heater exhaust,.

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 10:57:56 AM EDT
[#45]
if anyone gets the new zoom model, some outside distance vids would be nice :)
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

+1
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I'm assuming the XR has a higher magnification ( doesn't zoom ) - and the ring is to fine tune focus.

Here's a vid from 19 Feb 15.  Not bad, the XR does extend the range.  It may not be optimum for close up / household stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muQcKAb4EPI
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#48]
That YouTube video may have just convinced me to get the seek XR. I've been waiting for some videos and/or reviews to pop up. From what I see for the money, it's a worthy little thermal imager at a pretty impressive price. It puts my flir one to shame in terms of pure darkness usefulness and image quality!
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
That YouTube video may have just convinced me to get the seek XR. I've been waiting for some videos and/or reviews to pop up. From what I see for the money, it's a worthy little thermal imager at a pretty impressive price. It puts my flir one to shame in terms of pure darkness usefulness and image quality!
View Quote

Me too. Wondering if you'd be able to detect a coyote 100-200yds out. I don't need to ID between different game because it's just me and the coyotes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2015 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Me too. Wondering if you'd be able to detect a coyote 100-200yds out. I don't need to ID between different game because it's just me and the coyotes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a good question. I was wondering the same thing in terms of detection for coyotes and deer out to 100 yards give or take. I really like the compact design of it as well.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top