Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 11:24:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Any idea if/when pictures of the M300W in clip on mode will be made available?  Specifically what I'm looking for is how easy is it to control the unit when looking through a fixed 4X.

I've talked with Chris at IR Defense and even offered to send them an ACOG.  If it's too much trouble for them to do it maybe they can send me an M300W and I'll take pictures...

I'm about to run out of time and have to move on to plan B.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:02:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Are the LE100s in stock?
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:45:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 12:45:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Just wanted to give Vic a thank you.  I did not fill a bucket of rats - but ended up having to refill my pcp about 3 times on Saturday (about a 1/2 battery worth of scope time).  Enough dead rats to put a grin on my face.
I was on an ipad this weekend and my google fu was week.  I thought the IRPatrol could do a one shot zero - but I could not find a guide to it.  If anyone has the link, I would appreciate it.  I got it zeroed the hard way (but bet it took me 20 shots, counting bumps on the knob).  I know there must be an easier solution.  Sighting in was probably 1/2 my battery time.
As for hunting - it was frickin amazing.  I had it out in conditions I probably should not have.  80 degrees, 100% humidity, and dripping (not really a rain, but drops falling.  Rats were completely black - and even retained enough body heat to pick up bodies after they were dead for 15 minutes.  A PVS-14 was nice - but they could see the iluminator too much.  The IRPatrol - gave me 5x as many target opportunities at least.  The rats stayed out longer, and came back out of hiding quicker.
Great pre-father's day hunt.
Yes, eventually this will go on a big boy gun for hog hunting.  But rats offer more shooting opportunities.  Had it on a Prod this week.  The only thing that complicated one shot kills is height over bore.  I sighted in at 30 foot", but with 3" over bore, shots between 10-20 foot took some guesswork (I have not made up a full drop table, nor have I gone out in the day and ranged all the likely shots.  10 foot was a little below the bottom of the cross-hairs.  

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 2:52:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Chip, thanks for that response on the M300W.

How about using the MKII scope itself with an ACOG 4X-32mm in clip-on mode, both the 19mm and 35mm objective lens models, can they handle up to 4X?

No one ever seems to use these as clip ons for some reason?
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 3:20:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 4:20:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Do you have a link for the one shot zero - I could not figure out how to
keep it in image capture mode while moving the cross-hairs.  I had it
mounted on a pistol, which made clamping and adjusting somewhat more
difficult.

I thought about laying them out - or even stapling them to a board by their tail.  When I went out of Friday, I think I saw 8 in my fig tree alone (cursed thieves, I like figs), plus tons in the pecan trees and the chicken yard.  I live near 2 feed mills with 100k's of corn and other grain.  Rats are an endless supply of reactive targets.  If I ever run out - can always go to the ranch and find more.

No complaints about the battery life.  It is  what it is, one battery give me a fairly long hunt time (and still has life left in it)  - and at the end of the day batteries are cheep.

---

trying to come up with a simple clamp so I can record through an iphone

Link Posted: 6/22/2015 5:08:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Mousehunter,

I don't think this is what you're talking about, but just in case - here is the video that UNV put together on saving zeros with image capture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9CrYKYJlBQ&feature=youtu.be
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I understand in general how to do it with the IR Hunter - but could not figure out how to adjust the reticule while viewing a saved image with the IR Patrol.  It might be somewhere in the menu system, just did not find it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 8:51:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 12:09:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just a quick BOLO....It appears there are a few Vids on U-Tube showing a comparison on the IR patrol against other thermal units putting it in bad light due to the user not even bothering to calibrate the unit to begin with.  The author is a paid employee of a competitor so it's no surprise what he's up to. Terrible how this business is.  This person was the same person who asked us to send him free gear for favorable reviews. When I refused, 2 weeks later our Torch Pro and V-Tac light mount got trashed on another site.  

Back on technical topic, we have more IR Patrol videos coming up in combination with a white paper soon to be published on thermal, NV etc.  We want to put to rest all the fuzzy videos that included PVS-14 videos that always seem to be cloudy every single time they are shown for comparison. Almost like every video that shows a UFO!  Can someone please show me a clean video of one of those let alone one of a hog??  Have no fear though, our white paper will dispel the UFO sightings! ....

Pic of the new 2x and 3x magnifiers that are here...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/IR%20Patrol%20Magnifiers_zpsz1daxpxs.jpg

View Quote

If it's the video I saw, he's doing it at 90% humidity with slight sprinkles of rain.   ...and the patrol wasn't calibrated correctly.  It was silhouetting when pictured with three on one screen comparison.  You don't get silhouettes when it' calibrated right.  .....and why would you test a thermal in comparison under 90% humidity?
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:25:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:25:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:43:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:21:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Here are some pics I took when I first got my hunter a few weeks ago. I really like the thermal and doubt there is anything that equals IRD units in image quality at that price range.These are poor representations of what the thermal can do and I have since learned how to make the image more crisp. Took these through the lens with a camera.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Great pics blk ops!

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:14:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks glad you liked the pictures! I wish I could tell you what the weather was like that day but if I had to guess the humidity was probably 40-50% and the temp was in the 70s.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:23:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I'll also try to take some pics tomorrow night. A buddy has the 2x magnifier for the eo tech 320 unit which I believe is the same for the patrol? If it is I'll post some pics of various things magnified and non magnified with range. Relative humidity has been 96-98% everyday down here......  At 7 am your soaking wet just standing there.

I think I know what video your referring to Vic. And it is no where close to the image I'm used to seeing through the IRD devices.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:37:11 AM EDT
[#25]
As a General Rule, I do not particularly care for any of the thermal "comparo" videos being done by these shills.

Trying to make someone's product look bad never makes your product look good.

I never could understand what these product promotion videos were doing besides attempting to make their competitors look bad? .....
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#26]
I do think it's silly trying to make competitors look bad. Just show your product, if it's good it will sell itself.

I like my ir defense a lot and while the image is great and probably one of the best on the market for 5k+ less than competitors. As far as glitches though it is probably pretty far behind flir I'm guessing. Once you calibrate it a few times though and let it sit you don't have problems with it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I do think it's silly trying to make competitors look bad. Just show your product, if it's good it will sell itself.

I like my ir defense a lot and while the image is great and probably one of the best on the market for 5k+ less than competitors. As far as glitches though it is probably pretty far behind flir I'm guessing. Once you calibrate it a few times though and let it sit you don't have problems with it.
View Quote

This has been my experience with all thermals. I don't believe it is unique to IR Defense, but rather how the systems work and the changing environmental conditions.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This has been my experience with all thermals. I don't believe it is unique to IR Defense, but rather how the systems work and the changing environmental conditions.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is the same with my MTM. I calibrate at initial start up and within a few minutes the screen gets fuzzy. After the second calibration the image will stay clear much longer.
  I believe several calibrations within the first few minutes of use is common to thermal units.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:11:37 PM EDT
[#29]
That's good to know that the calibrating is not unique to IRD thermals. I think the biggest glitch problem I have then is images not saving, and when I go to delete old pictures it freezes on me. Sometimes saving images works other times it doesn't. I have never had a real problem from scrolling through the menu too fast like I have seen reports on.

Here is a picture I took today at the range. I thought it would be a somewhat decent example of the power of the irhunter other than the fact that my picture is crooked. It was actually raining at the time lightly so obviously 100% humidity and also 82 degrees. This is the 20mm unit at no digital zoom. The target on the left is 50 yards and where my crosshairs are pointing is 100.

edit: I guess it can be less than 100% humidity in the rain, but still it must have been very high humidity and for the unit to perform this well in the rain is impressive.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
That's good to know that the calibrating is not unique to IRD thermals. I think the biggest glitch problem I have then is images not saving, and when I go to delete old pictures it freezes on me. Sometimes saving images works other times it doesn't. I have never had a real problem from scrolling through the menu too fast like I have seen reports on.

Here is a picture I took today at the range. I thought it would be a somewhat decent example of the power of the irhunter other than the fact that my picture is crooked. It was actually raining at the time lightly so obviously 100% humidity and also 82 degrees. This is the 20mm unit at no digital zoom. The target on the left is 50 yards and where my crosshairs are pointing is 100.

<a href="http://s1281.photobucket.com/user/Roger-hartzell/media/40b4fb0e-a2ec-421c-98b1-86c4fc9f4432_zpsymltxhfg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a509/Roger-hartzell/40b4fb0e-a2ec-421c-98b1-86c4fc9f4432_zpsymltxhfg.jpg</a>

edit: I guess it can be less than 100% humidity in the rain, but still it must have been very high humidity and for the unit to perform this well in the rain is impressive.
View Quote

I've found that the only thing that really works for me at 100 yards is a hand warmer taped to the back of the bullseye.  Otherwise, the aluminum tape works pretty well at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#31]
I agree, that target was a little more difficult than I would have liked. The crosshairs stayed black on the tape which was black against the white target base. I still had some success with it. Here is my target at 100 shooting in light rain, Sighted at 50.

Most of the group is about 2 Moa but as you can see there are flyers. I'll take it for how hard it was to see the x hairs on the tape. All those holes in the black board aren't from me
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Several folks have asked about our new recording device package kits for your thermal gear. We are releasing special cables for the FLIR RS line along with IR Defense MKII's and IR Patrol's, while our TNVC/DVR and Rifle/Helmet pouch will work with just about any setup.  I posted this below on another blog which I thought was important to share here. Thanks guys.  

The TNVC/DVR's are done with special noise amp mics we installed that we just now completed. Also the FINAL iteration of the rifle/helmet pouch is now complete and at the sew shop getting sewn up! I know....It's been a loooong work effort on the pouch, (January at Shot Show).  We do feel you and others in the community will really appreciate what we did here once you all get a peek at it.  We had several folks pour over beta testing 4 to 5 iterations of the pouch to insure we covered all bases.  While some may say "it's just a pouch with some straps to hold it on"...We see that from some of the current recorder pouches made in China with no thought into how to correctly rifle and helmet mount (for IR Patrols),  and manipulate them while employing a weapon or helmet. You can be assured this truly Made in America (San Diego Ca to be exact) TNVC/DVR Rifle/Pouch we be ultra versatile and function well.

Mind you our cables (Rt. Angle Fischer, Mil Spec banded and filtered to eliminate horizontal noise), DVR and pouch will surprise many in the cost department as well.  We do not believe folks need to pay upwards of $200 just for a cable! You will save a big bundle with our newest kit offering while we hope enjoying a well engineered package to supplement your thermal gear .

Vic
View Quote

DVr status update?
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 11:19:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Just got the call the my MKII has arrived and should ship this week...depending on when the DVR pouch arrives. I feel like a kid at Christmas
Link Posted: 7/7/2015 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Just got the call the my MKII has arrived and should ship this week...depending on when the DVR pouch arrives. I feel like a kid at Christmas
View Quote

just wait until you look through it... none of the on line stuff has the same wow factor
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Just had 2 patrols come in at work and had to try one out

Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

http://aggunner.com/pictures/firearms/minirecce.jpg
View Quote

Annnnnnnnnnd, how did the image look?  That looks like a nice and tidy little package!
Link Posted: 7/10/2015 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Annnnnnnnnnd, how did the image look?  That looks like a nice and tidy little package!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

resolution is great and i tried recording a video using the video out and the quality was degraded and I couldn't get a true representation
Link Posted: 7/11/2015 3:37:41 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
resolution is great and i tried recording a video using the video out and the quality was degraded and I couldn't get a true representation
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How degraded?

Link Posted: 7/11/2015 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#41]
nevermind
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 4:08:30 AM EDT
[#44]
A Patrol was delivered Friday. It's true the videos lack the WOW! Factor.

I sighted it in as a stand alone this morning and I found 4x digital zoom very usable, same when I took a walk with it around my hunting club 0:dark:30 Sunday am spotting deer, etc.

Pretty shap view at 2x and awesome at native. 8x digital zoom was essentially useless, which I expected.

I will admit that it took me 30 rounds to get the Patrol sighted in at 100yds. Time and time again I found myself moving the joystick the wrong way, amd so the reticle the wrong way.  Got it so wrong once I had to go back to 50yds.

I'm using the Wilcox weapon mount, and I'd give that a C- grade. I managed a couple of 3" groups from a rifle that can do much better, I sighted in a Hunter MKII (Larue mount) this am as well, and that took one shot at 50, another at 100 and then a 3 shot group all in the hand warmer target in an inch or so.

For the Patrol, I will switch to the DLoc mount or the one TNVC is apparently working on when either comes out.

JPK
Link Posted: 7/14/2015 1:49:14 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

A Patrol was delivered Friday. It's true the videos lack the WOW! Factor.

I sighted it in as a stand alone this morning and I found 4x digital zoom very usable, same when I took a walk with it around my hunting club 0:dark:30 Sunday am spotting deer, etc.

Pretty shap view at 2x and awesome at native. 8x digital zoom was essentially useless, which I expected.

I will admit that it took me 30 rounds to get the Patrol sighted in at 100yds. Time and time again I found myself moving the joystick the wrong way, amd so the reticle the wrong way.  Got it so wrong once I had to go back to 50yds.

I'm using the Wilcox weapon mount, and I'd give that a C- grade. I managed a couple of 3" groups from a rifle that can do much better, I sighted in a Hunter MKII (Larue mount) this am as well, and that took one shot at 50, another at 100 and then a 3 shot group all in the hand warmer target in an inch or so.

For the Patrol, I will switch to the DLoc mount or the one TNVC is apparently working on when either comes out.

JPK
View Quote

That's good info. I will continue in a holding pattern until those issues get resolved. No point in paying additional money for a weapon sight and being forced to purchase a mount that is sub-par

That video thing needs to be addressed also.

Note: I am a fan of IR Defense. I like what they are doing, but obviously have some bugs to be worked out.

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 3:34:59 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

JPK
View Quote
There has to be a better way to sight this thing in.  The joystick offers no feedback to when "a" click is made, so it is hard to count them.  There is no counter or gauge to show the adjustments made (or even which way to move the joystick).  The one shot -0- in the Hunter sounds like a great option, but I could not see where that was possible with the Patrol (unless you have a ransom rest).

Love the picture - but given as this unit was intended to be used on multiple platforms, I really need a better sighting method - I took about 30 shots as well.  Luckily it was on a pellet rifle...

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

There has to be a better way to sight this thing in.  The joystick offers no feedback to when "a" click is made, so it is hard to count them.  There is no counter or gauge to show the adjustments made (or even which way to move the joystick).  The one shot -0- in the Hunter sounds like a great option, but I could not see where that was possible with the Patrol (unless you have a ransom rest).

Love the picture - but given as this unit was intended to be used on multiple platforms, I really need a better sighting method - I took about 30 shots as well.  Luckily it was on a pellet rifle...

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

JPK

I have to say that sucks

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 10:40:20 AM EDT
[#48]
Co-witnessing with a second sight/laser might be my best option right now - until IR Defense can give some instructions on how to do the one shot zero.
Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:10:30 AM EDT
[#49]
After many months of trying to talk to someone who runs their IR Defense MKII 35mm in Clip-on mode with an ACOG or ELCAN, I finally am working on it at long last!

It certainly is much more difficult and time consuming to zero the MKII to the day scope than my T-70/T-75s are, but where there is a will there is a way.

First off, you will need a rock solid AR-15 magazine well mount to place your rifle in so that it does not move while mounting and removing and remounting the MKII thermal in front of your day optic.

You first adjust your day optic onto the target bulleye at the range you have your day optic zeroed.

Then you carefully attach the MKII in front of day optic on the rail as close as you can without moving the rifle off target.

Fine adjust the MKII ocular diopter to get best focus after you've turned the scope on.

Go to Level 4 by turning the left turrent.

Turn the right turrent to CO for Clio-On mode.

Turn the left turrent to Level 5.

Use the top and right turrents to shift the entire scene until your day optic is back on target.

Turn the left turrent back to Level 1 to save the setting.

Remove MKII and insure day optic is still on target.

Reinstall the MKII, turn on the power, go back to Clip-On mode from level 4 and make sure that the screen position was saved and the MKII is still on target.

If not, repeat until on target.

Take some practice shots at the range at which you originally zeroed your day optic and repeat again to fine adjust your zero.

Link Posted: 7/17/2015 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#50]
seems like a lot of steps

is there any way to get the thermal's crosshairs out of the picture and just put the thermal on clip on mode
strictly using acog for aiming?
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top