Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 7:01:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Impressive detail and clarity! I need a IR Patrol in my life ASAP...
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:34:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A few days back we saw some work IRD has been doing with some NV (I^2) and thermal comparisons from different locales and enviroments. HERE is a link to it. They will have much more to add in the next few weeks or so showing many more scenerios which we feel will assist some first responders out by there as well.

View Quote

The guy in that video makes reference to the 12 micron core providing better image detail, is that actually true?  I was under the impression that the main advantage to smaller pixel pitch was reduction in size/weight/power consumption.  From what I've read, these smaller cores do allow systems to get more magnification than older 17 and 25 micron cores for the same lens size, but that wouldn't necessarily translate to better clarity correct?  If my thermal itch hadn't already been scratched, I would probably be looking pretty hard at the patrol.  Cool video
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:28:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 1:07:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:01:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:18:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:48:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 12:18:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 7:20:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:12:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Wanna say it was said in this thread, or another IRD thread, that after 4x it starts blurring bad.  I know I personally want the patrol for work, but still torn between the 250 and 300.
Will have to just painfully wait until people start getting theirs, and posting pictures of scopes being clipped on, with different magnifications.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 3:06:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 5:11:24 PM EDT
[#17]
The 250 can weapon mount also, can it not? I would just have to buy the wilcox mount separate, unlike the 300 having it come with it?
Plus,  the 300 has optional reticle correct?  I definitely want it helmet mountable though. Just mainly waiting to see clip on pics through scopes. Or just "pay to play" and get the 300 with stand alone option.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 6:08:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I have interest in a 250 too. I plan on helmet mount use for now, but have assumed, based on previous info, it could be used as a clip-on in the future with a .223 with the right added hardware.  Am if off base here?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I have been told by IR Defense that the 250 is not weapon mountable. Apparently the 250 lacks the feature of the 300 which allows the 300 to be co-witnessed with your day scope so that POI does not change when the 300 is mounted as a clip on. And of course the 250 does not have reticles.

Whether the feature of the 300 which allows for use as a clip on is collimation or whether the reticle allows the 300 to be co-witnessed I'm not sure. But that the 250 isn't weapon mountable was the clear take away.

JPK
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 9:31:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#21]
OK, for $500, I'm gonna wait for the M300.   Plans change.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 10:23:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Interestingly, the MKII works as a clip on. But obviously not helmet mounted.
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 3:39:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That is correct, only the M300w has the reticle and the clip-on software
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have been told by IR Defense that the 250 is not weapon mountable. Apparently the 250 lacks the feature of the 300 which allows the 300 to be co-witnessed with your day scope so that POI does not change when the 300 is mounted as a clip on. And of course the 250 does not have reticles.

Whether the feature of the 300 which allows for use as a clip on is collimation or whether the reticle allows the 300 to be co-witnessed I'm not sure. But that the 250 isn't weapon mountable was the clear take away.

JPK

That is correct, only the M300w has the reticle and the clip-on software

If it's a software thing, will the 250 be upgradeable in the future?
Link Posted: 5/1/2015 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Personally I suspect the company is using different models to allow for market segmentation - so would be really doubtful that you can upgrade between them inexpensively.

I am sure their bean counters will figure out what is best for them.  In theory, they might (at some point in the future) allow for mail in upgrades (at slightly more than the differential cost between the units), but the most likely upgrade path probably involves selling the lesser unit on EE and buying the more expensive one - pretty much like any other firearms upgrade I guess.

Link Posted: 5/1/2015 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't see any reason other than weight and the min 1.5x magnification you couldn't work up a helmet mount.  

Would walking abound be difficult, sure, but it could work for stationary scanning.  Not anywhere near idea, but it could be done.
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 12:23:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
To further clarify, the M250's do not come with a reticle, nor clip-on mode. Only the M300v does for weapon mounting. Hope this helps.

Vic
View Quote

Awesome, thanks for the clarification .  
Link Posted: 5/2/2015 10:06:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I don't see any reason other than weight and the min 1.5x magnification you couldn't work up a helmet mount.  

Would walking abound be difficult, sure, but it could work for stationary scanning.  Not anywhere near idea, but it could be done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a guy was trying to get set up on limited $'s, I think using a MKII as a hand held scanner on a lanyard around your neck for scanning and then weapon mounting it for the final approach would be doable. Then, when more $'s are available, add either a dedicated hand held thermal scanner or, ideally, a helmet mounted scanner.

Since I am equipping myself and my 15yr old son, and trying to do it without breaking the bank too badly, I think I am going to with both a MKII and a Patrol 300 for versitility. So Patrol, MKII, a pair of PVS 14's, helmets, mounts, etc... OUCH! Close to $20k.

JPK
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#29]
fwiw, 2 pvs-14 and a patrol 300w on order here.  Figure 1/2 the fun hunting at night is doing it with company.  I have friends, step son, and several younger kids that will all be keeping me company at some point or another.  Got crops that got to get protected .

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Your OUCH is my OUCH!

I am guessing you have a PVS 14 weapon mount of some kind coming, plus headgear, mounts, etc., etc., etc.,...

$15k.... Go kill some hogs!!!

JPK
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#31]
Friend of mine is an ag teacher.  One of his students went on a paid night hunt with his dad.  After the hunt the student was pumped - hoping his dad would get the equipment so they could do more night hunts on their lease.  Not sure his father was that excited when he heard it was about 50k of equipment.  When you start playing with the numbers - amazing how quickly they add up.
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
fwiw, 2 pvs-14 and a patrol 300w on order here.  Figure 1/2 the fun hunting at night is doing it with company.  I have friends, step son, and several younger kids that will all be keeping me company at some point or another.  Got crops that got to get protected .
View Quote

You're right, at least half of the fun is the company.  My disease started with one helmet-mounnted 14.  Got lonely and added a second helmet-mounted 14.  Then a thermal scope.  Then a thermal spotter.  And several, several hundred dollars worth of mounts, lights and lasers along the way......
Link Posted: 5/5/2015 5:57:35 PM EDT
[#34]
The bigger expense is buying enough land to use the gear to it's full potential. If you've got that you're way ahead of the game...

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The bigger expense is buying enough land to use the gear to it's full potential. If you've got that you're way ahead of the game...

View Quote

Yep. I'll be having a very expensive garage sale if I loose my deer lease
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:26:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View Quote
I assume land is like guns and nv - there is never enough.  I have 300 acres, so will try to make due for a while.  

My father used to ranch all of his grandparents land (leased from his aunt and uncle) - so growing up we played on 1k acres (but that was long ago).  It would have been nice to purchase some of that, but family pride got in the way - now have ranchettes on one side.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:28:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A good deer lease is difficult to find - hang on to it as long as you can.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 12:30:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I assume land is like guns and nv - there is never enough.  I have 300 acres, so will try to make due for a while.  

My father used to ranch all of his grandparents land (leased from his aunt and uncle) - so growing up we played on 1k acres (but that was long ago).  It would have been nice to purchase some of that, but family pride got in the way - now have ranchettes on one side.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1k seems like it would be the absolute perfect size, but 300 ac is still a dream to me. Your gear purchase is just an added security investment to protect your land investment. Feel free to quote me if you need it with the wife
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#39]
location, location, location.  Went hunting in West Texas a few years ago (with a friend of my fathers).  In the 70's he purchased a hunting plot.  50acres for probably $10/acre.  That said, if you get enough friends together - some of those (about 1 hr from Marfa) might still be under $250/acre (for larger acreage).  Main problem is they are a 5hr drive from civilization and essentially are overlooking Mexico.  Pretty dry too - bet the closest water was the Rio Grande - still saw good deer, lots of javalina, and plenty of not so good rattle snakes (one decided to sleep inside under the nice warm bunks on our last night there).

The plot we hunted took an hr to drive through the unfenced 50k acre ranch that had been subdivided.

Link Posted: 5/6/2015 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

1k seems like it would be the absolute perfect size, but 300 ac is still a dream to me. Your gear purchase is just an added security investment to protect your land investment. Feel free to quote me if you need it with the wife
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or the IRS.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:46:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Fwiw did some related case law research.  The cost of "a" personal defense gun has been upheld as an ordinary and necessary business expenses. Pretty sure the cost of a collection of them would get a different result-personal satisfaction outweighing necessary.  I have not tried the tax research on nv-as it isrelatively obscurite -I doubt it has been contested yet.  If I had to bet though, plenty of ranch owners in S. Texas are deducting them lately.

The client that I did that research for was not the one who got mugged leaving his office. Iirc the case was from a gun friendly state.  If protecting against mugging and theft is "ordinary", protecting crops should be as well. ;)

----

A long time ago I got a laugh when I found out my parents had deducted my birthday presents.  I owned a few acres personally that they rented. The presents were my annual lease payment (which were included as income on my returns).  I know my 270 was deducted, but do not remember what else (probably a car sterio, an Atari, etc...). Their CPA knew about it, he'll he probably suggested it.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 2:34:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 9:11:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Just got this pic from IRD this evening of a cool pic taken with the IR Patrol M300.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/RACOON-1_zpsugrgelmy.jpg
View Quote

I hate to start another nvg vs. thermal argument , but this picture sheds new light on the notion that you must have nvg for navigation and positive ID. That is definitely a calf.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I hate to start another nvg vs. thermal argument , but this picture sheds new light on the notion that you must have nvg for navigation and positive ID. That is definitely a calf.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just got this pic from IRD this evening of a cool pic taken with the IR Patrol M300.

IMO there are times that a thermal image is good enough to navigate some areas with.  However, if you get a hot humid night you will be missing A LOT of detail in the ground/trees/bushes/rocks.  Weather conditions can make what you see through thermal change dramatically.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:30:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

IMO there are times that a thermal image is good enough to navigate some areas with.  However, if you get a hot humid night you will be missing A LOT of detail in the ground/trees/bushes/rocks.  Weather conditions can make what you see through thermal change dramatically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is true.  

I think it's going to work well, with good thermal conditions and in the right places....like roads you are familiar with.
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#47]
I'm going to go with coon in that pic.  Awesome clarity
So low humidity is better than high?
Good thing we only get close to a high of around 30%.  Go desert!
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:55:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm going to go with coon in that pic.  Awesome clarity
So low humidity is better than high?
Good thing we only get close to a high of around 30%.  Go desert!
View Quote

Yes sir. You will get a better image in low humidity conditions compared to high. You will also get a better image when you have a nice clear bright sunshine day compared to a overcast day.  The sun heats objects up and will give you a better image when the ambient temperature starts to drop.

Some of the worst conditions I've seen with my 307 were when there was a cool or cold overcast day with a bunch of wind.  All your trees and bushes were the same temperature and the image would be a complete white out. Now if there was a live animal out there you could see it, but everything else looked like shit
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 11:03:12 PM EDT
[#49]
The problem with the desert is going to be high non-specific thermal emissivity from inanimate objects that are releasing their stored heat energy after dark resulting in lots of false positive thermal signatures that cause allot of brain drain attempting to discriminate from animate objects, but that is how thermal works so get used to it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 1:03:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The problem with the desert is going to be high non-specific thermal emissivity from inanimate objects that are releasing their stored heat energy after dark resulting in lots of false positive thermal signatures that cause allot of brain drain attempting to discriminate from animate objects, but that is how thermal works so get used to it.
View Quote

I can see that. But would it really be that bad? Guess depending on what objects you have, sage brush vs field grass or granite rock vs sandstone, all dependant on what part of the state your in, with some objects releasing heat differently.
Would it really be that different than from your neck of the woods with high heat and humidity? (Guessing on the heat, never been to Florida)
It can be triple digits in the day, and then drop rapidly at night here.
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top