Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:57:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, they were just quick 'n dirty.  I was supposed to get this on Saturday and then I would have had the whole weekend to do a more professional review, complete with an unboxing, but after working all day, who want to do any of that?

I'm happy with it.  I don't have anything to compare it to besides other youtube videos and my gen 1 night vision monocular, but from what I can tell, it's a quality piece for the price.

A con that I found with it is that the videos take a few moments to finish writing themselves to the phone's internal memory.  Galaxy Note 2 in my case.  Also there were times I thought I was recording only to find out when finished, I wasn't recording.  That could be user-error on my part though, by not paying attention.

When you take a picture, it takes 2.  One with the picture standalone and the other with the therm-app menu bars visible, much like a screenshot.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 1:35:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless I missed something last night, is there any way to switch to Imperial vs metric for the degrees in thermography mode? (nevermind, it's under settings)

Anyway, some condenser coils in my chest freezer...

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ah, shit.  I guess I can't even embed youtubes anymore because I'm no longer a team member?

My Therm-App Hz

Reflection

Walking Dead

Kreepy Kraulys
View Quote

In my haste I didn't realize I needed to take the time to up-convert these vids so they wouldn't look as shitty as they did when I uploaded them to Youtube.  I'll be converting and then re-upping from now on.

VIDEO PAGE

" />
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:28:19 AM EDT
[#4]
You can get fabulous video results from the Therm-App if you use one of the resolution enhancing up converters. I have tried several and put the results on the Therm-App Flickr group. As an example, see

Beach thermal video

Simply rescaling the video only changes the size, and does not improve the resolution.

Enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 7:08:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't want to improve resolution, personally.  Rather, I'd like most to give an accurate representation of the quality I see and not have YouTube degrade it as it did with my first uploads, of which I have deleted due to my own error.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 5:38:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Lots of very interesting work is going on at the Therm-App Flickr group with improvements on image quality that need to be seen to be believed. One user has been using Lightroom to process images, to remarkable effect.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 11:09:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Some extremely hi-res imaging work is now being achieved with the Therm-App using new driver software, alternative palettes and automatic post-processing. An example 2569x463 seamless panorama is here:

Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:28:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Would it be too crazy to think that noise reduction could be built as/into the app itself for real time viewing?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Some extremely hi-res imaging work is now being achieved with the Therm-App using new driver software, alternative palettes and automatic post-processing. An example 2569x463 seamless panorama is here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ultrapurple/21440848936/in/pool-therm-app-users

View Quote

Where does a person get the driver software? And what do you mean by driver? A different android APK file?
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#10]
The spotter mode is awesome. I guess it is like instalert from FLIR. Here is a pic of it being used inside as well as a video of a car that was driving by.

Link Posted: 9/17/2015 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Would it be too crazy to think that noise reduction could be built as/into the app itself for real time viewing?
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 1:21:26 PM EDT
[#12]
The alternative app 'Therm-App+' that you can get via the Flickr group includes real-time noise reduction. It's not as aggressive as the Lightroom offline processing but it does clean things up a LOT.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#13]
where does one download "Therm-App+". i didnt see it on the flicker discussion
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 3:57:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

where does one download "Therm-App+". i didnt see it on the flicker discussion
View Quote

Just tried searching w/ no luck. Thrilled to hear there's an optional app though. A download link would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:00:15 PM EDT
[#15]
http://suan-yong.com/ir/therm_wild.html

I'm gonna have to try this out.  Haven't heard anything about it 'till today.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

http://suan-yong.com/ir/therm_wild.html

I'm gonna have to try this out.  Haven't heard anything about it 'till today.
View Quote

Thanks for posting this. Just downloaded & will give it a try this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 9:12:37 PM EDT
[#17]
The Therm-app "Wild" by Suan-yong doesn't work correctly for my 25Hz TA.  Nor does "spotter" mode in the original Therm-app after I got done updating it just a bit ago.  :(

Edit: Yes, "spotter" mode does indeed work with my 25Hz.  My ignorant butt just didn't hit the "+" icon enough times to invoke visual change.  Duh.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 11:39:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The Therm-app "Wild" by Suan-yong doesn't work correctly for my 25Hz TA.  Nor does "spotter" mode in the original Therm-app after I got done updating it just a bit ago.  :(
View Quote

Sorry to hear that - but itl's good to know that there are compatibility issues.

Does Bill's app (DigitalBiology) work with it? Contact him via Flickr. I'm using his app almost exclusively now, but it's still an alpha (and only tested on a few different setups) and subject to updates. The URL changes with each update and I haven't yet asked his permission to post a link.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sorry to hear that - but itl's good to know that there are compatibility issues.

Does Bill's app (DigitalBiology) work with it? Contact him via Flickr. I'm using his app almost exclusively now, but it's still an alpha (and only tested on a few different setups) and subject to updates. The URL changes with each update and I haven't yet asked his permission to post a link.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the link on the flickr discussion? I'd be more than happy to help test it out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 12:47:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Is the link on the flickr discussion? I'd be more than happy to help test it out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At the moment you have to contact Bill directly. Either do so via the Flickr Therm-App group or PM me with your email address and I'll put you in contact.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#21]
This is the sort of IQ we're getting from the Therm-App on the Flickr group these days:

The original is 4096 x 900 pixels (3.7 megapixels), quite good compared with the 0.1 megapixels of the sensor. Can an Admin make the image show up, please?

This link takes you to a page that'll click through to the original full res image. And yes, it was done on a Therm-App.
Link Posted: 9/20/2015 11:12:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Amazed with how improved IQ is using ThermApp Plus, wow! ThermApp Wild is an impressive upgrade as well. For awhile there the warm & fuzzies over my Therm-App had faded due to the outstanding image my 35mm IRH MKII produces but now..... back to loving it again. A big thanks to Bizill & Ultrapurple!
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 2:05:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Bill is a wizard!

(Thanks very much to whoever made my parking lot thermal image show up above, too).
Link Posted: 9/21/2015 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Bill's a pretty cool cat that put in a lot of time into his app.  He gave me the download and I've played with it for a short bit.  Very nice, except that for me it won't record over 2-3 frames per second in video capture mode.  I'll give him the heads up and see if he can/wants to figure that out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 1:52:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Mine records video OK on Bill's app running on a Nexus 5 with Android 4.4. That's how I made the parking lot shot (post-processing mostly in Microsoft Image Composite Editor).
Link Posted: 9/22/2015 2:07:03 AM EDT
[#26]
On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Bizill. wrote:

Few more observations... I have an older Galaxy Note 2 and a brand new Moto Style Pure 2015 and they both work.  Playback of recorded video seems to be the same slow motion as discussed previously.  BUT, whilst recording, the real-time on-screen frame rate crawls to the aforementioned 5-6 fps whereas on my new Moto Pure, it seems to play at the normal 25.  So, faster/newer processor comes into play it seems.  Again, playback seems to be the same quality and framerate/slo-mo.

Another thing is with the regular Therm-App, my new moto will not flip the screen correctly.  I have to hold the Moto the correct way, which to me is upside-down.  On my older Note 2 the screen rotates accordingly.  Your app seems to rotate appropriately on both devices.  So there is some issue with my new Moto and screen rotation using Therm-App's app.

Bill K.:   Thanks for the feedback. So as we discussed before, I am confident the slow playback is due to the hard coded 8.7 Hz playback rate - that can be fixed once I find out how to detect the HZ. But the real-time rate is - as you point out - going to depend on the underlying hardware. Having the HZ, you will undoubtedly run up against this versus the rest of us because of the higher frame rate - I am glad to hear that at least on the Moto Pure it runs at the expected speed.

This is where deeper access to under the hood can help eek out better performance - for example, I do not use the bitmap generated by Therm App's SDK because I need to create my own, allowing me to manipulate palettes directly as well as do the analyses more efficiently. In the ideal world, I could tell the SDK not to even bother creating the default bitmap, but there is currently no way to stop it - so I just ignore it - but it is a waste of resources.
Link Posted: 9/23/2015 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Just a few more vids I uploaded using Bill Klaus' new beta app.  I could have gotten the images and video even more clear but I didn't mess with the settings.

Bizill

ETA:  Bill's program is working splendidly.
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#28]
I am using Bill's program as well. It really is the stock Therm-app on steroids. I am debating just deleting the stock app and running his app exclusively. I haven't had much time to play around with it but here are a few photos.

1- This was a picture of a pick-up about 20 yards away using the STOCK Therm-app on white hot.
2- This is using Bill's app and is on black hot from the same distance.
3- This is using Bill's app and is using the "booster" type feature.
4- Using Bill's app and shows the level of detail possible. My wife is eating some rice.

Link Posted: 9/30/2015 3:43:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Bill's improved Therm-App app to go on Google Play

In  an announcement on the Flickr Therm-App group Bill revealed that he will be launching his improved Therm-App driver app on Google Play in the next couple of days. It will be called ThermAppPlus. There will be a small fee to help him fund further work, buy new test hardware etc. He has started a Facebook page for it, which you can currently reach via ThermAppPlus.com

Any thoughts are very welcome and I'll make sure Bill sees them.

I will post more details when they become available.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#30]
ThermAppPlus manual now available

In advance of the release of ThermAppPlus, a manual can be downloaded in PDF format here.

I'll post more information on the app when it becomes available.
Link Posted: 10/1/2015 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
ThermAppPlus manual now available

In advance of the release of ThermAppPlus, a manual can be downloaded in PDF format here.

I'll post more information on the app when it becomes available.
View Quote

sounds like google-play is freezing the release of the app for some reason.

Link Posted: 10/2/2015 3:17:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Yes, according to reports Google Play is causing problems. Details are a little fuzzy but I believe the Google Storebots think Bill is trying to rip off Therm-App in some way (ie the equivalent of launching an "Angry Brids" app to trap people who can't spot swapped lettres). All being well it will be resolved "within 72 hours". We do know that Opgal (who make the Therm-App and publish Therm-App basic) are supportive of Bill's app, so the issue is most unlikely to have come from that quarter.

Meanwhile, it will require a little more patience before getting your hands on a copy: there is apparently now some license-checking code in the app that means it's difficult-to-impossible to offer it to further beta-testers.

More news as it becomes available...
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 3:23:24 AM EDT
[#33]
ThermAppPlus in beta on Google Play

Bills app ThermAppPlus is now on closed beta on the Google Play store. I believe it will go on full release quite soon - I'll break the news here as soon as it happens.

Here is a 'first light' image of the user interface:

It has much more comprehensive control than the stock app, some new palettes, and Bill's amazing noise reduction facilities. The result is a much, much better image quality from the Therm-App imager that quite simply blows away anything else (formerly) in its class.

The app is US$5.99, towards the lower end of what was recommended by the beta testers. In my opinion that is an absolute bargain - and only a tiny fraction of what you've already paid for the camera!

More news as it comes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 7:57:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Work continues towards launching ThermAppPlus. The beta testing is well under way, with a broadening user base. Not all beta testers have been entirely happy with their experience (perhaps not fully understanding that bugs are very much to be expected in beta) but some very useful feedback has been generated. More news as it becomes available.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Good gosh, we finally got some cooler weather in the desert and the other night my Therm-App and Bill's program treated me to some extremely nice visuals.  The kind that made my jaw drop.  I was already amazed at the clarity, but things got that much better.  Obviously during our hot summer weather everything was blended together due to everything being heat soaked.  It was like trying it out for the first time all over again and being wowed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 3:04:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Good gosh, we finally got some cooler weather in the desert and the other night my Therm-App and Bill's program treated me to some extremely nice visuals.  The kind that made my jaw drop.  I was already amazed at the clarity, but things got that much better.  Obviously during our hot summer weather everything was blended together due to everything being heat soaked.  It was like trying it out for the first time all over again and being wowed.
View Quote

I have the opposite problem in cold, wet Britain in the winter. Everything is the same uniform cold temperature, so there's no thermal contrast to see thermal images. Our summer isn't too bad, and I've taken the Therm-App to Malta in the Mediterranean and got some decent images there. It will be interesting to see what can be conjured up over the next several months.
Link Posted: 10/15/2015 3:11:27 AM EDT
[#37]
Further beta testers wanted for ThermAppPlus app

I understand from Bill that he is looking for a few more people to join the ThermAppPlus closed beta stage. You can contact him via the Flickr Therm-App Users group or by dropping me a PM. In order to qualify you'll have to tell Bill briefly what you're doing with your Therm-App, what device(s) you plan to run it on and what you intend to use it for. This is so he can ensure a reasonable spread of users. It is still a bit buggy and crash-prone so you'll be expected to report bugs (there's a very easy to use system built into Android: you click one button and then optionally enter a description of what you were doing before pressing the 'send' button). I believe, but am not sure, that there may be a $5.99 fee for the app (I certainly paid that, but it's well worth it IMHO.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#38]
If the older versions are restricted to 8.7Hz due to export restrictions, how is the 25 hz version going to be available? Built in US?  Is it available to anyone (currently) or would you have to be part of a corporation / business to qualify?

I'm interested in buying one but was unable to before the price increased, now that it's back I'm thinking of holding off and waiting for the 25hz version.

Regards
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 7:13:26 AM EDT
[#39]
ThermAppPlus likely to go gold this week

According to the ThermAppPlus thread on the Therm-App Users Group on Flickr, ThermAppPlus is expected to be released around the end of this week. It offers far greater control of the Therm-App thermal imager than the stock app. Among other things it includes manual scale (contrast) control, several forms of noise reduction (including fixed pattern subtraction), saving images in a number of formats including lossless PNG, TIFF, FLIR, IRT Cronista, burst and interval mode, and much more. It will be available on the Google Play store and I'll announce when I know it's available.

I think installing ThermAppPlus is the single best improvement you can make to your Therm-App image quality. I've been using the betas for some time and haven't touched the stock app for months.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 7:17:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If the older versions are restricted to 8.7Hz due to export restrictions, how is the 25 hz version going to be available? Built in US?  Is it available to anyone (currently) or would you have to be part of a corporation / business to qualify?

I'm interested in buying one but was unable to before the price increased, now that it's back I'm thinking of holding off and waiting for the 25hz version.

Regards
View Quote

The HZ is freely available in the USA, although it's more expensive than the Basic or TH. Availability in other countries varies due to local laws or international conventions (eg ITAR).

You'll get great image quality with the Basic but it's not that good for moving targets or fast panning. The Basic is on offer at $939 right now, which is a fantastic price for the capability you get.
Link Posted: 10/30/2015 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#41]
where did horta disappear to?  
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 6:20:02 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
where did horta disappear to?  
View Quote

OSI / CID took away all his ill-gotten toys and he hasn't been back on since from what I've gathered reading threads.
Link Posted: 10/31/2015 5:56:07 PM EDT
[#43]
ThermAppPlus app now available in Play Store

If you have any of the Therm-App thermal imagers then I strongly recommend you get this app. It takes the image quality of the Therm-App to a whole new level and adds lots of features such as manual controls, FLIR file compatibility, amazing noise reduction and much more.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 4:02:08 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

ThermAppPlus app now available in Play Store

If you have any of the Therm-App thermal imagers then I strongly recommend you get this app. It takes the image quality of the Therm-App to a whole new level and adds lots of features such as manual controls, FLIR file compatibility, amazing noise reduction and much more.
View Quote

Just upgraded from the beta version I was running, thanks for the headsup!
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:52:04 AM EDT
[#45]
has anyone purchased the higher Hz version of one of these, yet?
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 8:52:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have one on order
Link Posted: 11/8/2015 5:56:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, there certainly are a few Therm-App Hz around (I don't have one) and the image quality looks pretty good. Resolution and dynamic range etc is the same as the Basic but the improved frame rate means much less 'teating' and much better response to moving objects.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:12:34 PM EDT
[#48]
im seriously considering buying one of these for a detection device for hunting coyotes and maybe some hvac work.is the standard thats priced at 950? the one that most of you have?or is it the 25hz model?also ,from someone who knows nothing about these,is the 25hz model worth a extra 500 bucks?thanks
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
im seriously considering buying one of these for a detection device for hunting coyotes and maybe some hvac work.is the standard thats priced at 950? the one that most of you have?or is it the 25hz model?also ,from someone who knows nothing about these,is the 25hz model worth a extra 500 bucks?thanks
View Quote

For HVAC 9hz is fine.

As a detection device a higher frame rate is nice but its not like you will be taking shots with it. I would personally put the extra $500 into whatever night-vision and aiming system you are using whether it be head mounted for weapon mounted. For scanning the stock Thermapp is enough but if you ever want to mount it for driving or for shooting I would suggest the higher hz.
Link Posted: 11/12/2015 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top