BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 14
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Those of you using this for spotting during hunting.  How are you liking it?  What sort of range can you get for something like hogs?
View Quote

I was seeing deer pretty clearly at 200-250. I bet i could detect a heat signature out to 500 in an empty field.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:28:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Yea tried evreything....decided to return the phone to best buy and pick up a moto G which on the therm app approved list. Works great now...unreal the quality for the price ...I had a flir ps24 and this thing makes that look like a toy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need Help......

Just got my therm app n.

Using a htc desire 510-  Android 4.4.2 on the suggestion of one of the members who posted it as a Black Friday deal from best buy.

I download the app. And attach the Camera and nothing happens. Reset the phone reinstalled the app. Still nothing.... Tried 2 sets of cables as well

Any ideas?

I would make sure the phones software is up to date, connect to wifi, and then plug the phone in. Therm-app should automatically start up.

Yea tried evreything....decided to return the phone to best buy and pick up a moto G which on the therm app approved list. Works great now...unreal the quality for the price ...I had a flir ps24 and this thing makes that look like a toy.

How does the Thermapp hold up to field conditions. How do the 2 compare in terms of toughness, water resistance, reliability? If the Thermapp is too fragile for the field, it seems like it's the toy, right?
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 9:39:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

How does the Thermapp hold up to field conditions. How do the 2 compare in terms of toughness, water resistance, reliability? If the Thermapp is too fragile for the field, it seems like it's the toy, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Need Help......

Just got my therm app n.

Using a htc desire 510-  Android 4.4.2 on the suggestion of one of the members who posted it as a Black Friday deal from best buy.

I download the app. And attach the Camera and nothing happens. Reset the phone reinstalled the app. Still nothing.... Tried 2 sets of cables as well

Any ideas?

I would make sure the phones software is up to date, connect to wifi, and then plug the phone in. Therm-app should automatically start up.

No idea how it holds up in field conditions, I just recieved it. It is certainly a different animal than the ps24, and I would guess that the flir would hold up better as it was built pretty solidly as one unit.  the toy part that I was referring to was the image quality. The image quality and clarity on therm app blows away my old flir ps24.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#4]
i took mine hunting with me for firearm deer season, just to toy around with. it held up to a michigan winter in my backpack fairly well. we had 2 1/2 feet of snow and it was in the 20's-30's. i also trek it out there in a small pelican case.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 7:21:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No idea how it holds up in field conditions, I just recieved it. It is certainly a different animal than the ps24, and I would guess that the flir would hold up better as it was built pretty solidly as one unit.  the toy part that I was referring to was the image quality. The image quality and clarity on therm app blows away my old flir ps24.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ah, got it, the images from the Thermapp are very impressive.

Quoted:
i took mine hunting with me for firearm deer season, just to toy around with. it held up to a michigan winter in my backpack fairly well. we had 2 1/2 feet of snow and it was in the 20's-30's. i also trek it out there in a small pelican case.

The device is small enough that a small pelican case wouldn't be an issue to toss in the backpack.
Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:52:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The device is small enough that a small pelican case wouldn't be an issue to toss in the backpack.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

keep in mind that the "sensitive" parts of the device is the phone. So if whatever your phone can go through the thermapp will be able to go through.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#7]
hi Guys, i'm new to the group and to the thermal imaging.
I bought thermal app basically to help me driving into the road during the night, just to help me seeing farther than the car lights once in a while. i've seen on youtube some driving movies and i thought it could work for me.
well in order to keep it outside the car i've planned a way to protect it outside, and i've thought of putting it inside a go pro housing. do you guys think it's feasible?
My thermal app hasn't arrived yet but i can't wait to check it out.
Another doubt, is it possible to take off the bracket on the back of it?
additionally i bought a 2meter otg cable and a go pro vacuum holder for cars, i thing it might work.
But my main concern is about the window. do you guys think a germanium lens would work? with window material would be better for the thermal image?

Regards
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
hi Guys, i'm new to the group and to the thermal imaging.
I bought thermal app basically to help me driving into the road during the night, just to help me seeing farther than the car lights once in a while. i've seen on youtube some driving movies and i thought it could work for me.
well in order to keep it outside the car i've planned a way to protect it outside, and i've thought of putting it inside a go pro housing. do you guys think it's feasible?
My thermal app hasn't arrived yet but i can't wait to check it out.
Another doubt, is it possible to take off the bracket on the back of it?
additionally i bought a 2meter otg cable and a go pro vacuum holder for cars, i thing it might work.
But my main concern is about the window. do you guys think a germanium lens would work? with window material would be better for the thermal image?

Regards
View Quote

I think it would work in a go-pro housing as long as you could access the lens for focusing and there is no glass or plastic in front of thermapp lens. Thermal can't see through glass....sometimes it can see through really thin plastic. You would have to have your phone inside the car but it sounds like the OTG cable that you have will be long enough.

You could use something like this http://www.amazon.com/PerformancePackageTM-SuctionMount-Car-Camera-Mount/dp/B0065M1DUI and run it outside your door. The refresh rate of the thermapp is pretty low so it might be hard to drive with. It would certainly be able to spot something a couple hundred yards in front of you. Interesting idea.

Half of the bracket can be removed but part of the "hook" is machined into the device body.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:10:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I have done some work with using the Therm-App on a suction mount on a car. The image quality is definitely usable, but there are some issues. First, the low frame rate and delay means that the combo can only be regarded as a secondary aid - I wouldn't want to drive using it alone, eg with no headlights. Second, the Therm-App isn't sealed, so you'll have to protect it from the elements. For test purposes, a thin black trash bag is almost transparent to LWIR, although it does reduce the image contrast a bit (and you need all the contrast you can get). Trash bags also don't last long in the wind, or sunlight. If your pockets are a little deeper then a one inch diameter germanium window isn't too expensive - much cheaper than a new lens - and doesn't degrade the image much at all. You could cut a hole in the side of a small waterproof plastic box, epoxy the germanium window in place, then arrange the Therm-App to peer through the window. A nice enhancement would be a tiny heating element round the window to keep it first and fog-free. Finally, you'll need to work out some way of stopping the dreaded lens wobble, which ruins image quality. A rubber band will work, at least for a while. A better solution might be to use something like Sugru to mould a retaining ring. That stuff would also come in handy to stop the USB plug falling out all the time - another weak point of the Therm-App design, I'm afraid.

Once you have done all that, you are good to go. I have posted a short video made this way at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ultrapurple/16051724375/
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have done some work with using the Therm-App on a suction mount on a car. The image quality is definitely usable, but there are some issues. First, the low frame rate and delay means that the combo can only be regarded as a secondary aid - I wouldn't want to drive using it alone, eg with no headlights. Second, it isn't sealed, so you'll have to protect it from the elements. For test purposes, a thin black trash bag us almost transparent to LWIR, although it does reduce the image contrast a bit (and you need all the contrast you can get). If your pockets are a little deeper then a one inch diameter germanium window isn't too expensive - much cheaper than a new lens - and doesn't degrade the image much at all. Finally, you'll need to work out some way of stopping the dreaded lens wobble, which ruins image quality. A rubber band will work, at least for a while. A better solution might be to use something like Sugru to mould a retaining ring. That stuff would also come in handy to stop the USB plug falling out all the time.

Once you have done all that, you are good to go. I have posted a short video made this way at
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ultrapurple/16051724375/
View Quote

that video is fucking awesome!

Is that with the 6.8mm lens? I am actually really surprised at how well your set-up performed.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

that video is fucking awesome!

Is that with the 6.8mm lens? I am actually really surprised at how well your set-up performed.
View Quote

Thank you. It was made with the 19mm lens, if I recall correctly, which is a bit harder to use smoothly than the 6.8mm, but the field of view of the 6.8mm is too wide, in my opinion, to be useful on a vehicle. By the time something is big enough to see, you've hit it...

That video was deliberately posted as-shot, but Therm-App videos respond well to contrast enhancement and superresolution techniques. There are superresolution examples at 768x576 resolution on the Therm-App users Flickr group pool, of things like beach scenes and Segway riding, along with details of how it was done. Those ARE awesome.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I've found that zinc selenide is transparent to LWIR and a little cheaper, does anybody have any experience with it?
My plan to use it outside
1 - Put the camera inside a go pro housing if it fits..
2 - Use a gopro suction moun i've bought
3 - buy a 7"or 8"tablet, haven't decided yet with one is better they have different ratios, i don't know which one is better
4 - buy a small male micro-sd --> male micro sd and keep it glued to the gopro housing
5 - use a 2 ou 3 meters long usb cable to connect outside to the table
6 - hold the tablet on the sunbreaker
7 - Put something on the front to use as a window, don't know if germanium ou zinc selenide. People are talking about tupperware too i wonder if it'd work
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:03:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Yes, I can confirm that the Therm-App can see through zinc selenide. I have an optical window of that material. Wikipedia notes that ZnSe reacts with (unspecified) acids, possibly meaning that an uncoated ZnSe window surface might get misty or pitted over time as it gets splashed with the crud off of roads. Your guess is as good as mine.

Tupperware sounds like a good idea. As you are going to have to weaken its waterproofing for the window, cable and possibly the mount, it may be worth making a 1/8" hole at the lowest point so the enclosure can breathe as atmospheric pressure changes and, as it does so, expel any condensation that has built up in the housing.

I would be tempted to attach a small, permanently-on heater of about 1 or 2W attached to the body of the Therm-App to reduce the chance of condensation inside the device. Two 68 ohm or 82 ohm resistors in series, fed with 12V, would do the trick, and only draw less than 0.1 amps from the car battery. Even the battery in a small car will provide that for at least week and still cheerfully start the engine. I notice that some automotive thermal imagers also have heated optical windows. I do not know whether the heater runs all the time the camera is on, or only when it's cold and/or thinks that condensation is likely on the outside of the window.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 7:07:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I have added a superresolution, contrast-enhanced version of the 'awesome' English Country Village Therm-App thermal video at https://www.flickr.com/photos/ultrapurple/16055794235/ - any comments?
Link Posted: 12/20/2014 9:39:57 AM EDT
[#15]
How big do you guys think a window lens should have?25mm (1in) is enough?
Ultrapurple is you ZnSe window uncoated?
Anybody have a go pro housing to test with? i don't want to buy one just to test if it fits inside....

Link Posted: 12/20/2014 1:51:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How big do you guys think a window lens should have?25mm (1in) is enough?
Ultrapurple is you ZnSe window uncoated?
Anybody have a go pro housing to test with? i don't want to buy one just to test if it fits inside....

View Quote

A 1" window is big enough for either of the lenses to look through, provided the lens is close to the window.

I think my ZnSe window is coated, but I'm not sure of its properties. It came from a military LWIR system that had germanium lenses in the same optical path, but it is in poor condition (it's cracked).
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:43:08 AM EDT
[#17]
When did these puppies jump to $1600?! I swear they were just under 1000 when I was looking a month or two ago.

That extra 6-700 bucks makes it a bit tougher to justify as a plaything.

ETA: Nvm... been covered.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Hello Guys,

this i my first post here @AR15.com.
Iam not related to Weapons, but i got an Therm App and found this Thread, with some nice informations.

So at least i played around with the Therm-APP SDK and will developing an App with some improvements.

So i made something like an Pixel uniformity, (What FLIR does wirh an Shutter for the Bolometer).

But, that isnt the big problem in here, its just the noise coming from the microbolometer (maybe its the price for the High Temperature Range - there isnt much dynamic for small temperature variations)

Thats something, OPGAL could be improve in the Firmware included in the Thern App Device.
(While the didnt offer an greate framerate than 8 or 9fps, they could average the readings of the Pixels for 4 times ( 30fps / 4 = 7,5fps) still enough framerate..

However, i did an average of the "Pixel" also, and the output looks really nice, but it has to be on an tripod actually)

At least witth an average of 3 or 4 frames it still could be handled by hand.

But here is the first result:

1st picture is to show the non uniformity of the pixel

2nd picture is after the "uniformity calibration"

3rd Picture is before the uniformity calibration

4th picture ist after the uniformity calibration (including averaging)

I will Add something to control the colortable, setting another min max value to adjust the overall scene
and or to shift the color palette to highlight an specific temeprature range.

Sorry for the poor english, but i hope you understand it.

Regards
Pantheron

Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:30:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Hello Guys,

Iam not related to Weapons, but i got an Therm App and found this Thread, with some nice informations.

So at least i played around with the Therm-APP SDK and will developing an App with some improvements.

So i made something like an Pixel uniformity, (What FLIR does wirh an Shutter for the Bolometer).

But, that isnt the big problem in here, its just the noise coming from the microbolometer (maybe its the price for the High Temperature Range - there isnt much dynamic for small temperature variations)

Thats something, OPGAL could be improve in the Firmware included in the Thern App Device.
(While the didnt offer an greate framerate than 8 or 9fps, they could average the readings of the Pixels for 4 times ( 30fps / 4 = 7,5fps) still enough framerate..

However, i did an average of the "Pixel" also, and the output looks really nice, but it has to be on an tripod actually)

http://www.digital-landscapes.de/ThermAPP/Screenshot_2014-12-19-13-05-51.jpg
http://www.digital-landscapes.de/ThermAPP/Screenshot_2014-12-19-13-06-14.jpg
http://www.digital-landscapes.de/ThermAPP/Screenshot_2014-12-19-13-08-07.jpg
http://www.digital-landscapes.de/ThermAPP/Screenshot_2014-12-19-13-08-54.jpg

I will Add something to control the colortable, setting another min max value to adjust the overall scene

Regards
Pantheron

View Quote

Wow, that's nice. Good job!
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Looks very promising, nice work Pantheron.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Nice first post!!

That really shows the improvment in image quality when you calibrate the thermal imager.
Link Posted: 12/29/2014 3:17:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hello Guys,

http://www.digital-landscapes.de/ThermAPP/Screenshot_2014-12-19-13-05-51.jpg
http://www.digital-landscapes.de/ThermAPP/Screenshot_2014-12-19-13-06-14.jpg
http://www.digital-landscapes.de/ThermAPP/Screenshot_2014-12-19-13-08-07.jpg
http://www.digital-landscapes.de/ThermAPP/Screenshot_2014-12-19-13-08-54.jpg

Regards
Pantheron

View Quote

that's awesome! Welcome! Great first post
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Welcome aboard, Pantheron.

Using averaging to reduce noise is an excellent technique that works in many fields, but this is the first time I've seen it successfully applied to Therm-App images. The recalibration you're doing looks extremely promising and I look forward to hearing more about it.

Could I invite you to share your results at the Therm-App User Group on Flickr, at
https://www.flickr.com/groups/therm-app-users/
(the same goes for anyone else doing experimental or artistic work with their Therm-App).
Link Posted: 1/5/2015 3:52:14 PM EDT
[#24]
First 3-D Therm-App thermal image published

I believe this is the first-ever published 3-D anaglyph image made with a Therm-App thermal imager. You'll need red/blue glasses to see it properly. More information can be found under the image.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ultrapurple/15584832444/in/pool-therm-app-users
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#25]
has anyone with the SDK played with the hz on the device? Would love to see this thing get into the 30 range.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 12:55:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
has anyone with the SDK played with the hz on the device? Would love to see this thing get into the 30 range.
View Quote

Firmware locked
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 8:35:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Firmware locked
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Firmware locked

This is correct. No one wants to see 30Hz happen more than I do.

Regrettably, the SDK (software developer kit) is not going to help us with firmware (hardware).

I suggest that you drop the company a note stating that you would be willing to pay a reasonable fee and sign appropriate paperwork to have it unlocked. Absent that, or someone figuring out how to hack the firmware, we're going to be stuck with the 8.7Hz. Right now, I see option 1 as the only possibility, as the product really doesn't seem to have a wide user base in tech/nerd circles.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 1:58:51 PM EDT
[#28]
was cruising you-tube and found this sweet therm-app driving vid some guy did with using the 6.8mm lens. Awesome!

therm-app driving vid

edit- Oh if anyone would be willing to sell their 6.8mm lens to me hit me up :)
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:17:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot of reading on these thermal devices lately.  First off, I love the quality of the therm-app.  Only holdback for me is the $1600 price tag.  This was up on amazon but says no longer available, so I'm not sure if they were selling it for cheaper.

Is anyone familiar with FLIR's new version of FLIR One coming out in a few months that works with android?  I heard they are increasing the pixel count and along with their MSX software that combines a visible light picture with the infrared we should get a very nice picture.  Just unsure of the usable distance for detection and identification.  Cost est around $300

Other alternative is the Seek XR which is a 206x156 pixel camera and supposed to have an adjustable focus to give you out to 2000 feet detection.  Cost is also around $300.

I guess what I am asking is, will the new version of FLIR One have on par quality with the Therm-app, and if not, do you think the release of the seek xr or the new flir one will at least drive down the price?
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:34:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Hmmmm apparently Android 5.0 came out and Therm-app isn't working with it. I am hoping this won't be a recurring thing with each OS update requiring an updated app.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:52:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

I've been doing a lot of reading on these thermal devices lately.  First off, I love the quality of the therm-app.  Only holdback for me is the $1600 price tag.  This was up on amazon but says no longer available, so I'm not sure if they were selling it for cheaper.

Is anyone familiar with FLIR's new version of FLIR One coming out in a few months that works with android?  I heard they are increasing the pixel count and along with their MSX software that combines a visible light picture with the infrared we should get a very nice picture.  Just unsure of the usable distance for detection and identification.  Cost est around $300

Other alternative is the Seek XR which is a 206x156 pixel camera and supposed to have an adjustable focus to give you out to 2000 feet detection.  Cost is also around $300.

I guess what I am asking is, will the new version of FLIR One have on par quality with the Therm-app, and if not, do you think the release of the seek xr or the new flir one will at least drive down the price?
View Quote

First identify use. If it is a toy to use in the back yard every now and then just get the SEEK.

If you are a contractor or DIYer and need thermal to find cold spots, leaks, or anything else...go ahead and get the FLIR

If you want a bit more performance for outdoor use and scanning at longer ranges get the Thermapp.

If you NEED a thermal Imager get a UTM-x
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

First identify use. If it is a toy to use in the back yard every now and then just get the SEEK.

If you are a contractor or DIYer and need thermal to find cold spots, leaks, or anything else...go ahead and get the FLIR

If you want a bit more performance for outdoor use and scanning at longer ranges get the Thermapp.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hey guys,

Do you know the refresh rate of the Seek and FLIR One?  Also, the current FLIR One has really low resolution compared to the Seek at 80x60, what is res for the newer one for Android?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 7:00:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I think they are all 9hz for export reasons. As for the new FLIR I am pretty sure the thermal core has twice the resolution (which makes it about equal to seek).
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 8:35:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Why do you want to be able to unlock the frame rate? That would mean anyone can.  These are available worldwide, it's bad enough IMHO that ISIS and other assholes can buy the 9hz, let alone 30... Entry level thermal like this, even at 9hz, is a game changer. Maybe not compared to our military, but the guys standing up against the jihadists in little villages across the middle east are relying on iron sights and flashlights after dark.
You want 30hz? Buy 30hz and be thankful you can.
/rant
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 6:02:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I have thermal imagers that run at 30, 25, 15 and 8.7Hz. All have their strengths. The ex-fire dept runs at 30Hz has low latency and an excellent response but it is very heavy. On the other extreme is the Therm-App with its easily-changed (but wobbly) lens options, reasonable sensitivity and good resolution. The low 8.7Hz makes critical focus take a little longer but beyond that works OK. The 15Hz imager is a vetinary scope the size and shape of an old VHS-C camcorder. You only notice the frame rate on a fast pan.

In the end it all comes down to where you live and what you want to pay. I would love to be able to obtain a 640x480 sensor - at any frame rate - but they are basically unavailable in this civilised country. So I use what I've got the best way I can...
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#36]
So it took them two freaking months....but Therm-app is finally working on Android devices running lollipop 5.0 and above. I don't think it is available from the googleplay store yet but they are starting to push out the new app as a test if you email them.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 2:18:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Therm-App have recently added a 13mm f/1 and 35mm f/1.14 lens to the lineup. I have a 13mm on order and will report my findings on the Flickr Therm-App User group.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:48:08 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Therm-App have recently added a 13mm f/1 and 35mm f/1.14 lens to the lineup. I have a 13mm on order and will report my findings on the Flickr Therm-App User group.
View Quote

How is this going to compare to the 19mm?
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#39]
It will have a slightly wider field of view (ie zoomed out a bit) and may be slightly more sensitive in low-contrast situations. It remains to be seen what the sharpness is like - the 19mm can be VERY good, see for example https://www.flickr.com/photos/ultrapurple/17143167869/in/pool-therm-app-users
... which looks more like a crisp photo than a thermal image, but I promise it is a Therm-App shot!
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 7:01:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It will have a slightly wider field of view (ie zoomed out a bit) and may be slightly more sensitive in low-contrast situations. It remains to be seen what the sharpness is like - the 19mm can be VERY good, see for example https://www.flickr.com/photos/ultrapurple/17143167869/in/pool-therm-app-users
... which looks more like a crisp photo than a thermal image, but I promise it is a Therm-App shot!
View Quote

yeah I only have the 19mm which I am very happy with. So the 13mm would most likely give a better image?
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:27:15 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

yeah I only have the 19mm which I am very happy with. So the 13mm would most likely give a better image?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know. There is no over-riding reason why a 13mm lens should be more or less sharp than any other focal length, and the aperture is close enough to the 19mm that no great difference in sensitivity will be seen. But it will likely have some different properties, eg more or less geometrical distortion, that may or may not be noticeable the way you use it. For example, this image,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ultrapurple/16509015082/in/dateposted-public/
made with the 19mm lens, needed a great deal of straightening out to compensate for the geometric distortions that caused the edges of the board to appear strongly warped.

There is a discussion on the new lenses just starting at
https://www.flickr.com/groups/therm-app-users/discuss/72157650531006833/

It is worth being aware that the larger aperture will mean that the depth of focus will be less than the 19mm.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#42]
FYI.  Therm-app is down to $939 for a limited time according to their Facebook page.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:54:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
FYI.  Therm-app is down to $939 for a limited time according to their Facebook page.
View Quote

holy shit that's even cheaper than their initial starting price. I am betting after they went up to $1600 sales went down to super low levels.

At that price it is a really good buy to get into the thermal world.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:21:59 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

holy shit that's even cheaper than their initial starting price. I am betting after they went up to $1600 sales went down to super low levels.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, that's my guess too. At $1k I was interested and bought. At $1.6k my attention would have moved to more expensive field units probably.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#45]
I now have my 13mm f/1.0 lens for the Therm-App and it is really, really good. Image quality is superb, and its wider aperture gives much lower noise images with better contrast than the 19mm. It wipes the floor with the 6.8mm f/1.4 in terms if sensitivity. Of course, the other lenses have their places but the 10mm really is something.

I have started posting comparative images on the Therm-App Flickr group at

More will go up as time permits. It does take a while to make all the comparison images, sorry!
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

I now have my 13mm f/1.0 lens for the Therm-App and it is really, really good. Image quality is superb, and its wider aperture gives much lower noise images with better contrast than the 19mm. It wipes the floor with the 6.8mm f/1.4 in terms if sensitivity. Of course, the other lenses have their places but the 10mm really is something.

More will go up as time permits. It does take a while to make all the comparison images, sorry!
View Quote

Thanks for the link to the sample pics, WOW.... the 13mm image  is so much cleaner!
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 4:39:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

wow that is way nicer than the 19mm. Any chance of you doing some distance shots. Maybe with a person at 100 meters or so?

ugg....shipping is $70. They really need have a place to sell here in the US so we don't pay half the cost in shipping.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:44:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Yes, I plan to post a range of comparison shots, indoors and out, as time permits. We had heavy rain yesterday when I was taking the first images - not really conducive to going outside, let alone to thermal imaging. And swapping lenses in the wet...?

More will go on Flickr as soon as I can manage.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:56:30 AM EDT
[#49]

ugg....shipping is $70. They really need have a place to sell here in the US so we don't pay half the cost in shipping.
View Quote

Good news!

I have spoken to Therm-App about the shipping fee and they have offered a $40 rebate on the cost. Enter the code shipdisc2015 to qualify. That brings the shipping cost down to a much more palatable $30.

In the interests of full disclosure, I should mention I received a rebate on the shipping fee for my 13mm lens.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Good news!

I have spoken to Therm-App about the shipping fee and they have offered a $40 rebate on the cost. Enter the code shipdisc2015 to qualify. That brings the shipping cost down to a much more palatable $30.

In the interests of full disclosure, I should mention I received a rebate on the shipping fee for my 13mm lens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good news!

awesome. Ordered the 13mm because of the quality. I was close to getting a 6.8 for the past month but the shipping rebate sealed the deal.

Just as a question, what type of zoom are these lenses like. I know the 6.8 is like a 1x. I am guessing the 19mm is more of a 3/4x? So the 13mm is like a 1.5/2x?
Page / 14
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top