Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2014 8:50:11 PM EDT
I need some help.  Looking for an IR flashlight that doesn't break the bank.  We use night vision regularly at work (leo) and for the most part, we stay lights out up to the point when we arrest groups.  I see a lot of the ultra fire lights on ebay and amazon that are cheap, but the pics show a purple light.  I can deal with the really dim red that some put off (the one I currently use is a lens that goes over a stream light stinger).  Does anyone have any experience with these, or suggestions on which ir light to get?

Also I'm looking for a small light, nothing big.  Preferably about the size of a surefire 6p or so.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:41:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The Chinese ir lights are good to maybe 100 yards.  Good light in the 50-75 yard range.  The ones I have had glow red, as any 850nm led will, but can be reduced some with an ir filter.

If you have a Surefire 6p you can just get a drop in module for $15 or so.   I have one that I made a housing for mounted behind the grill of my truck.  Still working for three years now.  If you need more range you can get an Osram Oslon drop in for $45.  Google Customlites.  I have built my own and they give good illumination out to 200 yards but are to bright for close in.  

You didn't say if you need weapon or hand held or how much you can spend.  These are about the cheapest options I use and are used hand held.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 9:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Need a handheld light.  I really don't need too much range.  Honestly 50 yds max.    It's mainly for me to maneuver through brush on nights where there is no moon.  For the distance stuff we have helo's with that will laser people and guide us where we need to go.  I really don't have a budget, but just don't want to spend a lot since it isn;t a necessity.
Link Posted: 8/29/2014 11:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#4]
SolarForce is a simple inexpensive light good for 50 yards.  I drive my Polaris using them.

http://www.lighthound.com/Solarforce_c_168.html

Link Posted: 8/30/2014 7:33:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Nitecore CI6 I'm pretty happy with. It was $80 and does white (4 levels of white), IR, red, green, and blue.. Red glow of IR is a little less than my TLR-1.  When comparing the TLR-1 and Nitecore at 150yds, the TRL-1 is a bit more focused, but both light it up pretty good at that range (when using the awesome TNV/PVS-14)..

Edit - Forgot to say that you won't really be able to add a filter to the CI6 because of the design.. I did add a filter to my TLR-1 and that helped a bit with the glow without reducing the distance too much.  But the TLR isn't really designed for hand held.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:17:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Just a hunter not leo, I like the Torch PRO from TNVC. I know its a little bigger than the surefire 6p but its awesome, also you can just use the head of the torch pro and screw it onto many surefire models.
Also just looked at TNVC site, torch pro is on sale still, use the promo code found on the site under sale items.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#7]
If you're really on a tight budget, you could try one of these. Cree 3w 940nm Light I have one and it works surprisingly great with both second and third gen NV. There's better brands out there at higher cost, but this is fine for my needs, and little to no glow at 940nm...........
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#8]
For what you describe, the SureFire M1 sounds ideal.  Compact, rugged/dependable, and arguably the cleanest beam available for your specified range....a little over $100 depending on where you buy it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#9]
OP, you do not want any type of LED.

You will want a filter over regular or halogen bulb.

Paramount that your ir light not give your game away.

or get you shot
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#10]
You might want to take a look at the TLR-VIR combo light, some have been going for around $100 lately on ebay new in the box, retail is close to $400, I don't know why such the low price, maybe they are dumping them.  Reviews are mostly good, and it could serve dual role as a weapon mount white light.  There is a review of it somewhere around here and elsewhere online, I just ordered one myself, but don't have it yet to try.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

or get you shot
View Quote

RIF.

He has already conclude like most of us, this does not work very well.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

RIF.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or get you shot

RIF.

I agree with RX, IR filters over incan is 20th century technology; BRD, you should know this with your level of experience.

If the BGs are using even the crappiest of I^2 or digital, the OP will be busted the moment he goes active IR in any way.  If the BGs are not detecting IR, they would need to be on axis to see even the dim red glow of LED.

In the game of cat and mouse analogous to radar for detecting speeders, and radar detectors for sensing LE, and radar detector detectors for places like VA, anything non-passive creates exposure.

ETA: It sure sounds like the OP may be operating along the southern border of TX.  And oh by the way, Geaux Tigers!
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 11:49:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:31:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

RIF.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

or get you shot

RIF.

reread it yourself

he was using a light with  bit of red showing and is willing to 'deal with it'
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 12:49:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
reread it yourself

he was using a light with  bit of red showing and is willing to 'deal with it'
View Quote

Not looking to argue but it sure seemed to me he was already using a filter/lens over a Stinger.

" (the one I currently use is a lens that goes over a stream light stinger)."

Perhaps in your experience you can recommend a filter that for the Stinger that does not suck and meets his needs?
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#16]
John I agree with others here that the M-1 is a good light up to the yardage your looking for. But for short range moving through brush covertly, I like the phantom warrior light. It's only effective out to 10-20 yards depending on moon/no moon. The light is recessed deep in the head where it is hard to see the light unless shinning directly. Another plus is you adjust the light down to barely visible. Perfect for detecting snakes with eye shine or any personal needs that needs the minimal amount of light to get the job done.Plus they are usually in the 20 dollar range used on the EE or at some Army Surplusses.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm kinda liking the Streamlight TL-2.  I can find them on ebay for $30 isn and can replace the bulb for an ir one for about $8- $10.  Does anyone know if it will work with the 18650 batteries.  I currently use an Olight M21x for duty and use the 18650 batteries, so if they work in both, thats a big plus.  

And yep, I'm on the Border.  The Nitecore NI6 is pretty neat as well, although I have a feeling that with the different buttons, I would end up throwing a strobe of colors on accident.  Thats why I prefer a dedicated IR light and dedicated flashlight.

Using whatever uncle sam gives us - PVS-14 monos and whatever the the dual eye version is called.  I normally use and prefer the mono though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
IUsing whatever uncle sam gives us - PVS-14 monos and whatever the the dual eye version is called.  I normally use and prefer the mono though.
View Quote

I love this part.
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I love this part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
IUsing whatever uncle sam gives us - PVS-14 monos and whatever the the dual eye version is called.  I normally use and prefer the mono though.

I love this part.

Lol.. NV is not my specialty.  I just use them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I love this part.

Probably some form of AN/PVS-7 variety.  

~Augee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top