Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2014 12:28:09 PM EDT
Ok here goes .... Has anyone put a PVS-4 in front of there rifle scope and shot it? Yes it large and heavy and there are other products out there that are made for this. I just want to know if its been done..
Thanks
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:32:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Why would you want to?

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#2]

It's already a rifle scope.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Ok here goes .... Has anyone put a PVS-4 in front of there rifle scope and shot it? Yes it large and heavy and there are other products out there that are made for this. I just want to know if its been done..
Thanks
View Quote

I don't believe it could possibly be done effectively. The PVS-4, even with the latest Gen3 tube, isn't that "great" relative to many other more modern offerings (though I really, really like mine) like the Aquila 4x/6x. There's no way it could be mated to any scope where enough light would transmit to the tube to be effective -- at least I can't think of one.

If you come up with a way, let me know. I'll give it a go.  

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:31:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Thehorta,

Can you please elaborate on your statement that the PVS-4 isn't that "great" compared to other Gen3 NVDs.

Do you have experience with the Aquilar variety of NVDs? How does your PVS-4 compare to other NVDs.

I'm about to make my first purchase and like the price point of the PVS-4.  If you can also compare the image to that of say M845 also, so much thebetter
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 5:55:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why would you want to?

View Quote
Or to put it another way, what are you trying to accomplish? Physically if you have the rail in front of your scope you can put a pvs-4 there and shoot it, most likely will not like what you see and most likely can,t hit anything. But yes you can put a pvs-4 in front of a day scope and shoot it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 10:18:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Presumably he's trying to find out if the PVS-4 can be used like a CNVD so that the day sight can be zeroed and left on, rather than having to be removed to mount a dedicated NV scope.  

Considering that I've been wanting a CNVD or CNVD-T pretty badly myself and having been discouraged by the pricing of a decent unit (I'd get awesome binos first for that kind of money ), I can sympathize with the OP's desire to find a lower cost alternative, though I would heartily agree that the PVS-4 is not it.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 12:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Presumably he's trying to find out if the PVS-4 can be used like a CNVD so that the day sight can be zeroed and left on, rather than having to be removed to mount a dedicated NV scope.  

Considering that I've been wanting a CNVD or CNVD-T pretty badly myself and having been discouraged by the pricing of a decent unit (I'd get awesome binos first for that kind of money ), I can sympathize with the OP's desire to find a lower cost alternative, though I would heartily agree that the PVS-4 is not it.  

~Augee
View Quote
CJ7Hawk did a thread on clip on's and the info is at his site,    http://aunv.blackice.com.au/cgi-bin/nightvision/forum?index=discussions&story=cnvd   This might get one headed in the right direction.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
CJ7Hawk did a thread on clip on's and the info is at his site,    http://aunv.blackice.com.au/cgi-bin/nightvision/forum?index=discussions&story=cnvd   This might get one headed in the right direction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

~Augee

Maybe I need to re-read it, but last I read it, I thought it basically said "it's great that you want to try to build a cheap clip on - but you're better off just getting a properly built one."  

Like I said, I've more or less resigned myself to not getting one for personal use unless I hit a major jackpot in the lotto (seems unlikely, as I don't play... maybe I should start! ), but I can respect the OP's desire to try and find a less costly way of accomplishing it, but from my research, I've more or less come to the conclusion that the only way to get what I would consider acceptable reliability, durability, and repeatability would be to just buy a purpose designed model.  

Things like the PS-22 and Armasight are tantalizing from the price point perspective - and if I could find a used one super cheap, I may be tempted to try it, but at "retail" as it were, feedback seems to indicate that they're not worth the squeeze versus what else I could do with that money.  

~Augee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top