Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2014 6:30:00 AM EDT
I had been shopping for a new night vision monocular / binocular of some type lately (years ago I owned a pair of Russian gen 1 binoculars, and a gen 2 monocular converted PVS-5).  Any way I had been shopping for something more modern on ebay, and online when out of the blue I stumble upon a local brother in law sort of deal, and found out they were trying to sell their PVS-14 to raise money.  

Now for the good and the bad, and the reason for this post:

The good, they work, and seem to have a good image with no obvious flaws, and the price was right at about 2/3 of the lowest price I have seen a used PVS 14 sell for on ebay in the last month

The bad, the battery compartment is cracked, it is a dual battery model, and the battery cap only holds on by one ear as the housing is cracked where the other one goes,  the battery terminals are slightly corroded, the gain control knob shaft is slightly  bent, and I don't know exactly which gen 3 tube is in it (previous owner had them for at least 7 or 8 years, so I suspect one of the earlier tubes).  There are a few wear marks , but optics look good, can barely read the markings under bright light, but they are a mil set with an NSN.

Now down to the question, I see I can get  a replacement battery compartment for about $250 new on ebay, not sure of elsewhere,  should I swap this out, change over to single battery, or just live with the wedged in but functional battery cap, and  bent gain knob shaft?

I
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 6:41:39 AM EDT
[#1]
First things first

I would open it up and write the numbers down you see on the tube.
Serial, cage code, or get a picture of the tube and post it up.

If its an AN/pvs14 you want to make sure its not gov property since you don't know where it originally came from.
There are lots of members here that can ID it for you and make sure everything is proper.

If they don't want to let you take pictures just tell them you need to open it up to get the numbers for a replacement housing to fix it.

If everything comes back clean, I would send it to TNVC and have the housing updated to the one AA version which will get rid of the cracked housing and battery terminals and have a fresh nitrogen purge.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 7:32:52 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on opening it up. Nitrogen purge is way past its sell date by now, plus I personally would want to know what I just scored. I'd consult the sticky on top to see if you can get a positive ID on the tube, and if not one of the gurus would be able to help. Just to let you know, just because its 7 or 8 years old doesn't mean it isn't good. Omni VII came out in 06 I think and is widely viewed as some of the best available. I personally would do the battery conversation myself in this case. Its easy and the info is out there to show you how, and you'd learn a little something too.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 1:00:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, I pulled the eyepiece and have the tube markings  it is an mx-11769/UV with a 12/2002 exp date  Looks like an Omni-IV tube based on the classification chart
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 2:53:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure what you paid, but at 1/3rd of what I usually see them sell for I'd be stoked to get a Omni IV for that. Good find! Drop a new single battery compartment on it, freshen up the silicone grease on the optics and call it a day!
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 3:28:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I paid just over $1,000 for PVS-14, with J arm, head mount and canvas bag, I know the seller used it very little, I am not sure exactly when he bought it, but I have known him since 2007 and he bought it well before  then, and probably only used it for few hours in his entire ownership, certainly less than a couple of hours in the years that I have known him.  The lowest price I have seen on used PVS-14's on ebay in recent months is about $1,500 -$1,600 with tubes with no visible blemishes, I am not sure where to value the accessories, or how much to discount the broken battery tab on the case..
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 5:49:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Can someone help clarify if I have an autogated tube or not, based on what I have read in the Omni Classification guide I think I may have an autogated Omni IV, as mine is marked with NSN 5855-01-444-3916
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:09:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Pics of the tube would help. Easiest way to tell if its gated is to listen for a slight whine on start up or when its running. Not all tubes whine, so you can check visually. Turn the IR illuminator on, and I've found the easiest way is to stand in a doorway. Scan the room and over to the doorway, when the IR hits the wall you should see it clearly but should notice it darken up in the background. Maybe not the most scientific, but it works.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:32:02 PM EDT
[#8]
It`s a non-gated tube, probably regular filmed,  might be early OMNI- V, I had one with a mid 2003 date code. the guide isn`t correct about this one.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Hope I'm not thread hijacking but does auto gating mean it reduces gain when in bright light? I noticed my 7s will do that if I accidentally expose them to too much light.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:22:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can someone help clarify if I have an autogated tube or not, based on what I have read in the Omni Classification guide I think I may have an autogated Omni IV, as mine is marked with NSN 5855-01-444-3916
View Quote

hard to narrow down, we need more information.

that particular NSN has two different contracts with 7 different manufacturers.

If you had a cage code that will tell us the manufacturer and/or date code on the tube (DC xxxx) we could give you an exact born on date and a 98% guess on what omni it is.

Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:25:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hope I'm not thread hijacking but does auto gating mean it reduces gain when in bright light? I noticed my 7s will do that if I accidentally expose them to too much light.
View Quote

this is strait from TNVC's website

Auto-Gated Power Supply

When the power supply is “Auto-Gated,” it means the system is turning itself on and off at a very rapid rate. This, combined with a thin film attached to the Microchannel plate (an ion barrier) reduces blooming. While “blooming” can be noticeably less on systems with a thin film layer, systems with thicker film layers can be perfectly acceptable depending on the end user’s application. Deciding which night vision goggle is better should not be based solely on blooming.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:48:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Auto-Gated Power Supply

When the power supply is “Auto-Gated,” it means the system is turning itself on and off at a very rapid rate. This, combined with a thin film attached to the Microchannel plate (an ion barrier) reduces blooming. While “blooming” can be noticeably less on systems with a thin film layer, systems with thicker film layers can be perfectly acceptable depending on the end user’s application. Deciding which night vision goggle is better should not be based solely on blooming.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Auto-Gated Power Supply

Thanks that makes sense now.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:18:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Ok, here goes the rest of the information from the tube:

SERIAL 39XXXX
CAD 9951
MFR 13567
ID NO 80063-A3256350
CONTR
DAAB07-96-C-J209
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#14]
ITT tube, manufactured in December of 1999. Should be Omni V if I'm not mistaken?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 3:29:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok, here goes the rest of the information from the tube:

SERIAL 39XXXX
CAD 9951
MFR 13567
ID NO 80063-A3256350
CONTR
DAAB07-96-C-J209
View Quote

interesting.

the tube is indeed a tube made by ITT
but the contract number on your tube does not match a contract awarded for that NSN.

this means that at some point, the milspec tube that came in that pvs14 housing from the factory has been taken out and replaced by a tube created under the DAAB07-96-C-J209 contract (omni IV).
If im off on my guess im sure Dino will be along shortly

Should still be a solid tube and the specs should still be pretty high, it would be hard to notice the difference unless you had a higher spec tube in the other hand to compare them.

all in all sounds like a good deal

ETA: another thing I noticed is the warranty exp. date and the date code dont match up which is also kinda odd. but the born on date was the last week of Dec. 1999. I suspect the warranty date was on the housing and not the tube.
and the tube was produced just as omni IV was being phased out for omni V
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 4:42:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm pretty new to trying to interpret tube info, turns out there was actually a reason besides me being a half whit, that I was confused by that one? I'm getting it slowly, can you explain how you figured the rest out?
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:09:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm pretty new to trying to interpret tube info, turns out there was actually a reason besides me being a half whit, that I was confused by that one? I'm getting it slowly, can you explain how you figured the rest out?
View Quote

sure

looks like you have figured out that the cage code will tell you a manufacturer and you have the date code format figured out as well.

I think the once piece of your research you are missing is nsn-now.com
you can look up any nsn number and it will show you all the contracts for that NSN, and the companies (cage code) that manufactured products for those contracts.

so I look up the NSN thats on the housing, so now i see all the contracts including dates for those contracts.
then the OP posted the contract markings from his tube, well they didnt match any contracts for the housing NSN.

so somewhere along the lines we know the tube from a different contract was put in the housing. then in the omni classifications it shows the contrats for each Omni and the one engraved on his tube was for omni IV

ETA: if you are wanting to learn be sure to check out this thread and have some fun looking stuff up http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_18/426658_.html
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 5:50:29 PM EDT
[#18]
The NSN I posted is the NSN marked on the tube, not the NSN that is on the PVS-14 housing as that one is very hard to read and can only be seen in bright light.
Link Posted: 8/12/2014 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#19]
that throws a loop in everything then. stumps me.

that contract isnt anywhere under that NSN *shrugs*
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:36:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Post all the specs in my tube identification thread and we will sort it out. Sticky at the top of the page.
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 5:42:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Post all the specs in my tube identification thread and we will sort it out. Sticky at the top of the page.
View Quote

I posted it up for the OP

here
Link Posted: 8/13/2014 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#22]
thanks, I am curious to see what comes of this, but knowing it is Omni IV / V is good enough for me
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 7:34:02 AM EDT
[#23]
To answer one of your earlier questions - yes you can replace the battery housing - it is easy to do. keep your eyes on eBay and pick up a newer housing. I actually like the old 2x AA style since it gives me a longer run-time. You can keep that style or move to the newer 1x AA style. If you can score a replacement 2x AA for ~$100, I'd go that route. The 2x AA generally goes for $200-250ish.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:35:27 PM EDT
[#24]
I have an empty (no circuit board, switch, ect., dual battery housing, PM me and I will put it in the EE, (for cheap)
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks, I may have found a used one locally though, will pm if the deal falls through
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top