Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2014 2:15:12 PM EDT
Gen 3 AN/PVS-4 weapon scope. Got a great deal from another ARFcommer, and it just arrived today.

Big, heavy, retro, and totally cool:

I've always thought that CAT lenses are sexy:

Funky front objective cap with three variable apertures for varying light conditions, including DAYLIGHT!

Not the prettiest copy out there, but for the deal I got -- as long as it performs as it should -- I'll be a happy camper. The focus rings on both the eyepiece and objective (ring just ahead of the eyepiece) are like buttah. The reticle is VERY clear and very crisp. It should be awesome sighting it in tonight.

All I need now is a miniature NCC-1017 to fly into it.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Amazing light gathering ability with those CAT lenses!  

Retro is in.....

Vic
View Quote

Which must be why Vintage Trek is the only way I fly.  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Amazing light gathering ability with those CAT lenses!  

Retro is in.....

Vic
View Quote

Is this considered retro now.
Just messing with you!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:52:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#5]
They are nice! I just got my Gen 3 a couple of days ago, and I'm very happy with it. Found a good deal on Ebay for a nice hard case ($32 shipping and all) and another for a CR123 battery adapter ($20) .

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm in the club too....  Cj7hawk got me going on them.  I love mine.  Nice piece of gear.  Would like to source an FO reticle though....

And yeah Horta, that's what it looks like!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
They are nice! I just got my Gen 3 a couple of days ago, and I'm very happy with it. Found a good deal on Ebay for a nice hard case ($32 shipping and all) and another for a CR123 battery adapter ($20) .

View Quote

What are the big differences between this one and your 2nd Gen?  Glad it worked out!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I gotta stop reading these threads...

Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:56:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I actually didn't notice a significant difference. The definition and brightness seems a tad better, but not that big a deal. At first I thought it had some small blems, but after taking it apart and cleaning inside, it turned out to be just some crap on the back of the eyepiece.

If they use them on a .50 cal, I'm sure it'll work on anything I've got for recoil!

For the money, I'm quite happy with it!  
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:33:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Doomsday Machine. That's funny and brings back memories.  Yours must be newer than mine as the one I have has battery provision on the top and side.  I bought a 3rd gen tube for mine.  Made a significant improvement.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 8:56:14 AM EDT
[#12]
If you think it is big and heavy now, try putting a TVS-5 6x lens on it.  It bolts right on and is used by some for astronomy.  I actually just bought a 4x PVS-4 lens to put on my TVS-5 so I can actually use it on a rifle without a bipod.

Here is a picture without my bipod.  This sucker weighs 6 to 7 pounds.

IMG_5655 by yellowcarbon, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:12:28 AM EDT
[#13]
If you ever run out of ammo (God forbid) you can beat your enemy over the head with a PVS-4 and it will still work like new. Great scope !
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you think it is big and heavy now, try putting a TVS-5 6x lens on it.  It bolts right on and is used by some for astronomy.  I actually just bought a 4x PVS-4 lens to put on my TVS-5 so I can actually use it on a rifle without a bipod.

Here is a picture without my bipod.  This sucker weighs 6 to 7 pounds.

<a href="https://flic.kr/p/fKSCSv" target="_blank">https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7412/9685483713_bfa98cb367_b.jpg</a>IMG_5655 by yellowcarbon, on Flickr
View Quote

I just put an offer in on this TVS-5 7X lens! (Which was just accepted )
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Sweet, nice on the wallet.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]
clearly Horta you need to come to my property for a week long hunting expedition...

This was 30 minutes from my property
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#17]
There's a big flaw with the back legs on that critter! They bend the wrong way, just like a human in a suit would! Great for a reality show!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:57:52 AM EDT
[#18]
You'll like that 4. I tested one of those several years ago, and even though big and heavy I really liked the unit. The fov is also really nice on the Pvs-4's. I enjoyed that when picking up on movers when hog hunting.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#19]
NOW what the hell am I going to do?!  

Got my "new" 7x lens for the PVS-4 today. I was expecting it to be "bigger" but this fargin ting es muy grande!

Standard PVS-4 Gen 3, next to a PVS-14 for size comparison:

The "new" 7x lens. It has the same windage and elevation adjustment for rifle mounting. Guess it's going on the M107!

Now it really is the Doomsday Machine!!!

Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:45:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Need a bigger gun!  
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#21]
SO.... I'm all excited to swap-out the lenses, but there are a few "issues." First, the rail-mount won't work. The standard lens is flush with the PVS body so the rail that attaches to the body also supports the lens. No biggie, I swap the lenses anyway. After finding the correct HEX head, a truly weird 7/32", the mounting screws for the lens come right off. I make sure the new lens is nice and clean inside and out, line it up, slide it in, and hand-tighten the screws in an alternating pattern -- like changing a tire.

NOTE: That tube is DAMN huge! Much larger than I expected.

Here's how she looks, with the original lens next to Doom for reference:

I'm able to remove the body-side rail and attach the Picatinny clamp-on only. It works great and holds fast, but the new lens is SO wide that it still protrudes a fair bit beneath the rail clamp. That's OK, because I'm only going to mount it to a tripod using a small piece of Pic rail that's screwed to the QD plate on my tripod ball head, so the oversized lens won't interfere with that. I'm even more excited now because I can do some serious scoping out and some ASTRONOMY! Hot damn!

I mount it securely to the QD plate and insert it into the tripod clamp. Everything looks good, but suddenly all hell breaks loose -- literally -- and the scope tears away from the ballhead  at the screw where the QD plate fastens to the piece of Pic rail.

It FALLS SIX FEET FACE-FIRST WITH A **SMACK** onto my gravel driveway!!!  

FUCK!

This is the damage sustained -- from beastly beauty to just beast in 0.3 seconds.

I'm getting drunk.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:35:42 PM EDT
[#22]
I'm gonna get drunk too in your honor!

So sorry to hear this.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:55:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a hammer and an anvil. Send it to me I can fix it
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 7:58:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I have a hammer and an anvil. Send it to me I can fix it
View Quote

And a Plasma cutter? You're gonna need a plasma cutter.  
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 5:55:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Look on the bright side; now you have zero excuse not to use the hell out of it since it's no longer shiny and new.

Yeah, it doesn't make the pain go away, but I'm trying to be positive for ya, haha.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Yep, coulda been worse if the front lens broke. That rim can be straightened fairly easily.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:08:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:54:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks like damage just on the lip of the lens. I think with a little patience you can straighten it some. I would not go banging on it though. Easy to replace the front lens if it bothers you. If all works well just try some vice grips to gently straighten the edge. Does not look like anything major. A few dings give it that tier 1 look.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 9:59:56 AM EDT
[#29]
wow, I thought I was the only one to do shit like that.  I dropped a brand new 56mm trijicon accupoint taking It out of the box mounting it on my hunting rifle once.  That sucked as well and left a similar ding, but did not degrade performance at all.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:23:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Well I've stepped back from the precipice after downing a bottle of 20 year Port. The lens seems to be just fine. The only issue with the scope, which was the same with the original lens, is that there is no close focus-- i.e. It won't focus crisply on anything under 150 yards, it focuses crisply on infinity or very distant objects. I assume it has something to do with the focus ring on the scope itself needing adjustment.

Also, the requisite cat rings can be seen very clearly with either lens.

However, it works surprisingly well and the reach of that 7x lens is astounding!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:29:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Interesting read. Thanks for posting OP. I have a Gen II SHP or GenIII Mum and I want a NV rifle scope but have no money. How much can a person find one of these for? I don't care about size and weight.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Adjusting the focus ring is pretty easy. There's a couple of great Utube videos on it out there. You just need the correct Torx bit screwdriver to loosen the lock ring.

I got my PVS 4 Gen 3 scope from this guy at a decent price.
PVS 4 Gen 3
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:10:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well I've stepped back from the precipice after downing a bottle of 20 year Port. The lens seems to be just fine. The only issue with the scope, which was the same with the original lens, is that there is no close focus-- i.e. It won't focus crisply on anything under 150 yards, it focuses crisply on infinity or very distant objects. I assume it has something to do with the focus ring on the scope itself needing adjustment.

However, it works surprisingly well and the reach of that 7x lens is astounding!
View Quote

At Davids website he has the PVS-4 tech manual which  has tons more information than the operators manual. To save you some time the procedure is around page 48. Tells you exactly how to fix focus issues and saves me tons of typing !

http://aunv.blackice.com.au/userfiles/david-an-pvs4_technical_manual.pdf

ETA: Many people for some reason put the tube and eyepiece assembly together wrong which will cause focus issues. The PVS-4 is a proximity focus device.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:34:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Adjusting the focus ring is pretty easy. There's a couple of great Utube videos on it out there. You just need the correct Torx bit screwdriver to loosen the lock ring.

PVS 4 Gen 3
View Quote

+1, me too.  

So sorry about the ding.  I am genuinely surprised it CAN be bent.  I guess they aren't REALLY made of Kryptonite.  

What is the main thing about the  larger lens that really stands out?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:38:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

At Davids website he has the PVS-4 tech manual which  has tons more information than the operators manual. To save you some time the procedure is around page 48. Tells you exactly how to fix focus issues and saves me tons of typing !

ETA: Many people for some reason put the tube and eyepiece assembly together wrong which will cause focus issues. The PVS-4 is a proximity focus device.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks! I love that little Aussie!
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 11:46:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

+1, me too.  

So sorry about the ding.  I am genuinely surprised it CAN be bent.  I guess they aren't REALLY made of Kryptonite.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PVS 4 Gen 3

+1, me too.  

Main things are it's obvious monsterliness and how close it really brings you to distant subjects. It's also surprisingly crisp when in focus. The odd doughnut bokeh that is standard fare with catadioptric lenses is on the harsh side, but I'm not using it for photography so I can easily look past that.

For a final all-inclusive price tag of $1650 I really have no complaints. The fact that it easily survived a >6 foot nose dive onto a hard-packed gravel driveway, being so heavy, really shows just how robust the PVS-4 is. It's a man's toy for sure.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the link, I don't currently own one but I will at some point.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Always nice to have the directions !
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#39]
]You need this piece to use a A TVS5 with a PVS4 mount.

5340-01-165-2151 80063 SM-D-850071-1 ADAPTER,MOUNTING

If you find one let me know because I need one also.
Dave

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 6:47:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Saw one on Fleabay about two weeks ago...   FYI
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#41]
If any of you guys are looking for a good deal on a hard case for the PVS 4, here it is>  Hard Case

I bought one and it's nice! The painted numbering comes off great with a little lacquer thinner. Just don't use it on the decals, as it might take the lettering off on them too.

I'm not sure it will work with the TVS mod on the scope, but works great otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 12:56:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Wow great minds think alike. PVS -4 and get a TVS 5 lens to go with it then ya have both.. PVS -4 is a rugged unit. I abused several when I was in the Army. They work well for night hunting yotes or hog.

RLTW
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top