Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2014 4:38:47 PM EDT
hello i want to attach a IR laser probably a dbal i2 to a saiga rifle oem handguard i dont like any of the aftermarket handguard because they add too much weight and i dont need that much rail space. would it be ok to add a small section of magpul rail to the oem handguard? would it be a problem if i didn't get the piece of rail perfectly straight?

this is what a saiga rifle handguard looks like
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:37:37 PM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion I think the two acceptable mounting solutions would be an Ultimak type rail off the gas tube or MI type railed hand guard system.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#2]
You will want it as close to parallel to the bore of the weapon as possible, is there a spot on the hand guard that will allow for this?
Does the hand guard have any slop in it?  What kind of range are you expecting to be accurate at?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
hello i want to attach a IR laser probably a dbal i2 to a saiga rifle oem handguard i dont like any of the aftermarket handguard because they add too much weight and i dont need that much rail space. would it be ok to add a small section of magpul rail to the oem handguard? would it be a problem if i didn't get the piece of rail perfectly straight?

this is what a saiga rifle handguard looks like <a href="http://s15.photobucket.com/user/Burtonjussi/media/featurlessak2_zps4d277a21.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/Burtonjussi/featurlessak2_zps4d277a21.jpg</a>
View Quote

TWS Dogleg Rail.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:44:11 PM EDT
[#4]
OP, there is no good way to do what you want with your OEM handguard. I would do exactly what Horta suggested in his post. It will not add anough weight to matter and solves your problem.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#5]
How about a barrel mounted clamp on rail. They are made to mount a light, but a good like will be solid. RS makes a nice one that might fit between the front site and gas block. You'll have to try it to see if it will work.

I don't think that the factory handguard is stable enough. It locks up tight, but does have some flex. With a laser, mounts that flex are not good.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#6]
You could spend a lot of money solving a problem that would be more adequately solved by finding a better host.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:14:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
solved by finding a better host.
View Quote

This. You are trying to make a $350 rifle work with $4k worth of night vision (assuming you are not skimping on the NV budget too).
Tell us why the Saiga is your night rifle.
That being said, the Ultimak and TWS are both good options.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top