Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 1:40:17 PM EDT
For viewing wild life at night can anyone give me their impressions of the USGI 3x NVG Magnifier for the PVS-14?
I realize it makes the PVs-14 a bit too front heavy to use on a head mount but for hand held use is it clear and give a good picture?
Lots of money so I thought I'd ask first....;)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#1]
It works very well. 3x is not a lot of magnification, but it helps and there is minimal loss of light.

They're not very expensive. They can be had all day long on the EE and FleaBay for $150 brand new.

At 5x, they start to get more expensive. I think Dino has a 5x.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#2]
They are a must have IMHO. They regularly appear on EE and eBay for $150 or so. I have 7 of them sitting behind me and even a 5X afocal. Be careful of da Chinese knockoffs though. I can easily spot the fakes and if you have one in mind post a link. It is called a milspec 3X afocal lens. Dealers have brand names for them but they are all the same. The Litton and ITT versions have slightly different body shapes though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It works very well. 3x is not a lot of magnification, but it helps and there is minimal loss of light.

They're not very expensive. They can be had all day long on the EE and FleaBay for $150 brand new.

View Quote

Expensive... Trade me something for it Horta and it is yours !
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about a registered, purebred Oberhasli milk goat?  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free shipping ? Meh, goats work for the Afghan's.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#6]
As Horta and Dino have said amongst their other shenanigans, the mil-spec 3x afocal magnifier is a good tool to have in the NV box.

Don't worry about the weight when head mounted, because it will give you a headache in that configuration anyway if you leave your other eye open.

Horta, if I had something decent to trade for one of your goats, I wouldn't want a used one; everyone knows that the "virgins" are much more valuable.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:42:03 PM EDT
[#7]
A metric shit ton of these came back from the sand box and got surplussed. That is why they are so common. I bought an entire case of them for 60 bucks a pop with genuine Iraqi sand included with each one. I was going to corner the market and include the sand with each lens. Nobody really wanted the sand so I cleaned them up and sold them unsanded.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:59:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Honestly it is the cheapest force multiplier out there.

I can hit steel human size targets at 300m with one head mounted on my 14 all day long in a sitting position.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#9]
The 3x makes a world of difference for handheld viewing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 4:40:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Horta, if I had something decent to trade for one of your goats, I wouldn't want a used one; everyone knows that the "virgins" are much more valuable.  
View Quote

I'm in the Deep South, so there's no such thing down here.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:33:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I keep one on a retractable lanyard for temporary use when scanning an area.  Just drop it and it sucks back into place ready for the next time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:10:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Ya I have one that I use occasionally, mostly just for scanning and not actual wearing it.  The view is good and the glass is pretty decent quality. Whatever you do, don't pay more than $150 for it, TNVC has some great deals, but the USGI 3x mag at $480 isn't one of them.  There is probably one for sale in the EE right now or will be sometime this week.  The 3x magnifier and Surefire 952V are two NV devices you should not buy brand new from a retailer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top