Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:24:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:52:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:54:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm trying to figure out what the advantage of using it in clip-on mode vs. swapping is.   Once it's dark, the day scope is useless.  In clip on mode you are adding something heavy way forward on the gun, which is the worst place for weight if you need to shoot offhand fast. You also have the weight of two optics at the same time to deal with.

I'm sure there must be something good about it, but I can't figure out what.

Is the magnification of the day optic usable?  I thought I read it had to be set at 1X.   If it was, that might explain it for people trying to shoot long range.  If it is, how well does that work?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:02:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IR Hunter video cables for the MDVR are now available and included with every 320 and 640 unit.
http://www.ultimatenightvision.com/v/vspfiles/photos/UCBL25IRH8P-2T.jpg  
View Quote

Does that include the ones in the group buy?
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 7:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 11:56:34 PM EDT
[#7]
So I've looked at the IR Defense website and couldn't find anything about a warranty.  What is the warranty like on these things?
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 8:47:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I've looked at the IR Defense website and couldn't find anything about a warranty.  What is the warranty like on these things?
View Quote

The manufactuer can establish a basic warranty period, if it isn't published that could indicate that they are still trying to decide or they just didn't think to put it out there.  I think your best option is to call IR Defense direct, they are nice guys and super knowledgeable.

http://irdefense.com/contact-main.html

Dealers websites aren't always up to date or consistent so again back to getting it from the horses mouth....

HTXH
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 4:06:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:17:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d6/tnadair/IR%20Defense/MAXPOL_zpsfb4e372b.jpg
MAXPOL on the MK II units    

In case you are wondering the difference in the display for the IR Hunter vs the IR Hunter MK II
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d6/tnadair/IR%20Defense/EMAGIN_vs_KOPIN_zpsef73023d.jpg
View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 11:35:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice features, and good to see MFG adding better firmware to offer the enduser options as no one setting works for everyone. Different parts of the country have different temps and humidity which effect the performance depending on the settings the user can adjust. If the IR hunter had manual focus I would have ordered one.
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 5:12:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 3:05:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#17]
The Mark ll is manual focus?
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:04:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:47:04 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought it was, but on the IR site said it was manual focus,
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I thought it was, but on the IR site said it was manual focus,
Thanks
View Quote

Where on the IR site does it say that?

Here is a link to the specs, digital focus control is the only way to sharpen the image on the fixed lens system of MK2

http://irdefense.com/m2-main-spec.html

HTXH
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:34:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Manufacturer:IR Defense CorporationModel:IRHM2-640-35Dimensions:7.4”(L) x 3.1”(W) x 2.9”(H)Weight:2.18 lbs.Finish:Black, Corrosion ResistantPower:Two (2) CR123ABattery Life:Approx. 3.5 HoursOperating Temp:-40°F to +131°FStorage Temp:-49°F to +167°FWarranty:3 Year WarrantyOPTICAL:—————————————————-Sensor:Vanadium Oxide, Uncooled MicrobolometerDetector:640 x 480 BAE 12umSpectral:8-12 µmSensitivity:<50mkStart-Up:>4 SecondsDisplay:MILSPEC Emagin OLEDFOV:12°Focus:ManualFrame Rate:60 Hz (includes 30 Hz Power Save Mode)Reticles:TCR, TDR, TSRObjective Lens:35mm f/1.2Polarity:Black hot/white hotAnalog Video:RS-170Eye Relief:27mmDiopter Adjustment:- 6 to +4
The blue type.
Taken from a web site
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Just sent them an email for clarification.
Link Posted: 11/10/2014 12:44:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 4:48:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The MK II is incredible. Here is a quick video of me screwing around with one of the first units. I put the unit in front of a DLSR for an idea of how the menu icons appear. What I find most notable about the unit is the crispness of the focus and contrast adjustments. I will post another video from the video output later. The icons do appear on the video output of this unit.
http://youtu.be/yiag7r9J-bc  
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/12/2014 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Extremely cool, any plans for some smokin deals for the Mk2 on Black Friday??  
Link Posted: 11/12/2014 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Just black/white hot?  The yellow/purple scheme on the MK I is pretty useful, the other color options, not so much.
Loving the "options" screen, the manual focus adjustment and the "edge" mode is just ridiculous.  

I'm jealous!

Link Posted: 11/13/2014 11:00:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:34:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Yes only black/white hot. Colors are cool, but most people find white/black hot are the most useful. The edge detect is very cool. I don't know of any other commercially available system with this feature. The biggest benefit of edge detect is that 95% of your screed is black, so it won't blow out your natural night vision when you come off the scope. The icons go away after 8 or 15 seconds so its just the reticle and edge detect image. I am excited to try that feature out.
The digital focus on the MK II is completely different than the standard. It actually focuses the image and doesn't give you as much grain/rendering from what I can tell. The display is smaller on the MK II and that accounts for some of the sharpness of the focus as well.
The contrast adjustment is also very useful. I like the setup IRD has come up with for image manipulation.

Couple things I have noticed so far for anyone who has a unit:
- you must select 60hz for video out mode to work
- you must cycle the unit and turn video out mode on for it to work

When you watch the video and the scope is in clip on mode there are numbers in a black box in the clip-on image of the MK II. Anybody want to guess what those mean? It's a pretty ingenious way to eliminate icons.
View Quote

From what I could tell it indicates menu levels.  Still interested in how this thing works out as a clip-on and with what scopes/magnifications.
Link Posted: 11/13/2014 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 2:20:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 11/23/2014 8:33:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Can you use the rechargeable batteries in the Gen II scopes?
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 3:29:34 AM EDT
[#34]
Which model would be comparable to the flir rs64 35mm? I like the resolution of the 640, but they are 30hz. Don't want a bad picture when swinging on running hogs.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 11:29:04 PM EDT
[#38]
We only use night vision at this point. Pvs-14's and d740's. Looking at adding the thermal to the mix. Kind of want to wait and see what comes out at shot show. But i could always buy one now then sell later to upgrade.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 10:43:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Hey guys, was a member back in early 2000s and forgot all my passwords and account info, so I just started over. Anyway, pre ordered and got the 35mm mk2 and have been stunned at the performace so far. I have an LS 64 and the difference is simply amazing. I had been planning on getting a nv device for ID, but I was looking at some deer and hogs through the MK2 and a gen 3 D740 the other night and was able to tell the difference between deer and hogs way better through the MK2 than the d740, especially when using the 3rd level of blackhot. Clear night, no fog, temps in the low 40s, 120-200 yards. Got me thinking I don't need nv for id.  Am I missing something? or are there nv units that are significantly better than the d740?
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 12:50:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Swineslayer, I can't answer your NV question.  But, I had a few questions regarding your impression of the 35mm Mark II vs. the LS64 if you don't mind.  I sold my LS64 because I want to upgrade to something better.

Can you elaborate on the "difference is simply amazing"?  

What did you like better and how much better was it?

Do you feel the FOV is large enough with the 35mm lens and the 12um core on the Mark II?  

Is your situational awareness still good?

I am leaning towards the 35mm Mark II.  But, I don't want to feel like I am looking through a straw with the 12 degree FOV.  

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:40:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 9:10:59 AM EDT
[#43]
What was the distance to the hogs in your pics above?

Also, were they taken with the 35 or 19mm?
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:46:51 AM EDT
[#44]
quote]Quoted:
Swineslayer, I can't answer your NV question.  But, I had a few questions regarding your impression of the 35mm Mark II vs. the LS64 if you don't mind.  I sold my LS64 because I want to upgrade to something better.

I hunt mostly pretty tight cover and most of my shooting is done at less than 150 yards with some stretching out to 250 in crop fields. I put the MK2 on my 300blk out and it sighted with no issues at all. The gun had a malfunction so I removed it and have not yet re mounted on a weapon. I watched some deer last night and at 130 yards there were times when they were in cover that they really did not look like deer through the LS 64. In the same conditions with the MK2, I could not only clearly tell they were deer, but could Id them as a mother and last years fawn. It is hard to put into words, but there is a B-I-G difference. The d740 was better at id than the LS64 if there was no fog, however, the MK2 blows it out of the water. The field of view does not seem too bad, "no looking through a straw" feeling at all.  I have not shot a pig with it yet so I don't know how well it will do on a scrambling sounder, but I think it will do fine. I can tell you that I keep it set to 30 htz and it handles moving objects pretty darn well, way better than the LS64. At 60 it is truly awesome, but goes through batteries quicker. The manual calibration has good and bad points. It can be a little bit of a pain to calibrate till you get the hang of it and needs several right after start up, but the process gets pretty fast once you do it a few times. The good point is it will not do it in the middle of some action and mess up a shot. I have also noticed that even if you had to start up and make a quick shot, it is still quite visible and usable without an initial calibration..
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Hey guys, was a member back in early 2000s and forgot all my passwords and account info, so I just started over. Anyway, pre ordered and got the 35mm mk2 and have been stunned at the performace so far. I have an LS 64 and the difference is simply amazing. I had been planning on getting a nv device for ID, but I was looking at some deer and hogs through the MK2 and a gen 3 D740 the other night and was able to tell the difference between deer and hogs way better through the MK2 than the d740, especially when using the 3rd level of blackhot. Clear night, no fog, temps in the low 40s, 120-200 yards. Got me thinking I don't need nv for id.  Am I missing something? or are there nv units that are significantly better than the d740?
View Quote

As far as NV scopes go as you know the quality of the tube is very important as are the quality of the lenses. The Raptors are said to be better than the D740's.

Link Posted: 12/11/2014 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
quote]Quoted:

I hunt mostly pretty tight cover and most of my shooting is done at less than 150 yards with some stretching out to 250 in crop fields. I put the MK2 on my 300blk out and it sighted with no issues at all. The gun had a malfunction so I removed it and have not yet re mounted on a weapon. I watched some deer last night and at 130 yards there were times when they were in cover that they really did not look like deer through the LS 64. In the same conditions with the MK2, I could not only clearly tell they were deer, but could Id them as a mother and last years fawn. It is hard to put into words, but there is a B-I-G difference. The d740 was better at id than the LS64 if there was no fog, however, the MK2 blows it out of the water. The field of view does not seem too bad, "no looking through a straw" feeling at all.  I have not shot a pig with it yet so I don't know how well it will do on a scrambling sounder, but I think it will do fine. I can tell you that I keep it set to 30 htz and it handles moving objects pretty darn well, way better than the LS64. At 60 it is truly awesome, but goes through batteries quicker. The manual calibration has good and bad points. It can be a little bit of a pain to calibrate till you get the hang of it and needs several right after start up, but the process gets pretty fast once you do it a few times. The good point is it will not do it in the middle of some action and mess up a shot. I have also noticed that even if you had to start up and make a quick shot, it is still quite visible and usable without an initial calibration..
View Quote

I have been spending more time with my thermal clip on's and I just find them to be a flat out pain in the ass. Having to calibrate them is a slight pita, but having to adjust all of the lenses for the correct distance is a flat out pain in the ass. I was out for a couple of hours on three consecutive nights recently and on one nights I flat out gave up trying to adjust the thermal clip on, cold fingers does not help. The 740 is just so simple, adjust one dial and pull the trigger. Of course the 740 cannot see what the thermal clip on's can but that is an entirely different issue. When it comes time to pull the trigger I have always liked doing it with a NV but that is something that I have been doing since 94 so teaching an old dog new tricks takes time. The most recent issues is now that I have a PSQ-20 I can see things that were invisible to me when it was just the PVS-14 or a NV goggle so it is "forcing" me to the thermal clip on's if I actually want to shoot them. Of course I could just flip on the IR illuminator with the 740 to get eye shine but now that I have seen what thermal can do it would be like going backwards in tech time.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 12:24:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Yes, I come from a long history with the d740s as well. Have hunted with some friends who use the clip on thermals and quickly came to the conclusion that they were not for me. Dedicated thermal sights are another story.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I have been spending more time with my thermal clip on's (T-50 & UTMX) and I just find them to be a flat out pain in the ass. Having to calibrate them is a slight pita, but having to adjust all of the lens for the correct distance is a flat out pain in the ass. I was out for a couple of hours on three consecutive nights recently and on one nights I flat out gave up trying to adjust the thermal clip on, cold fingers does not help. The 740 is just so simple, adjust one dial and pull the trigger. Of course the 740 cannot see what the thermal clip on's can but that is an entirely different issue. When it comes time to pull the trigger I have always liked doing it with a NV but that is something that I have been doing since 94 so teaching an old dog new tricks takes time. The most recent issues is now that I have a PSQ-20 I can see things that were invisible to me when it was just the PVS-14 or a NV goggle so it is "forcing" me to the thermal clip on's if I actually want to shoot them. Of course I could just flip on the IR illuminator with the 740 to get eye shine but now that I have seen what thermal can do it would be like going backwards in tech time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
quote]Quoted:

I have been spending more time with my thermal clip on's (T-50 & UTMX) and I just find them to be a flat out pain in the ass. Having to calibrate them is a slight pita, but having to adjust all of the lens for the correct distance is a flat out pain in the ass. I was out for a couple of hours on three consecutive nights recently and on one nights I flat out gave up trying to adjust the thermal clip on, cold fingers does not help. The 740 is just so simple, adjust one dial and pull the trigger. Of course the 740 cannot see what the thermal clip on's can but that is an entirely different issue. When it comes time to pull the trigger I have always liked doing it with a NV but that is something that I have been doing since 94 so teaching an old dog new tricks takes time. The most recent issues is now that I have a PSQ-20 I can see things that were invisible to me when it was just the PVS-14 or a NV goggle so it is "forcing" me to the thermal clip on's if I actually want to shoot them. Of course I could just flip on the IR illuminator with the 740 to get eye shine but now that I have seen what thermal can do it would be like going backwards in tech time.

I haven't found this to be the case w/ my LWTS, the depth of field seems to be very good.  I have a pencil mark on the objective lens that is sort of my default index mark which, when in that position, provides good crisp focus from 25 yards to infinite.  I just leave it at that position unless I'm using it indoors, and the objective lens will NOT move on its own.  Also, its default mode is auto-nuc so there is no manual calibration to do if you don't want to.
Link Posted: 12/11/2014 2:31:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top