Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 16
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Bravo!  you are a pretty good shot with that rifle and the MK II.  I'm impressed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 11:27:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This hunt was on a night with terrible conditions for thermal. 80% + humidity with standing water. Even though the conditions were less than ideal we were still able to take 10 out of a sounder of 12.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaVnH6jc5PU  
View Quote

Outstanding
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This hunt was on a night with terrible conditions for thermal. 80% + humidity with standing water. Even though the conditions were less than ideal we were still able to take 10 out of a sounder of 12.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaVnH6jc5PU  
View Quote

Wow that looks like fun! Congrats!

JPK
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Noticed your voltage on the MK II. Battery extender?  How ya liking it?
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice! Those little dudes aren't that easy to hit when there on the move going in every direction! Also,  Good communication with all your shooters !
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Kudos to Tyler for figuring out how to save zero and the one shot zero method on the Mark 2. Today while using his one shot zero method, I came up with an idea. Zero the scope to rifle number one. Then move the scope to rifle number two. Fire one shot using the same point of aim "handwarmer" but do not adjust the scope. Mark that point of impact with a shell case that has been heated up , like another member here suggested. Then move the scope to riffle number three and repeat the process. This can be done with as many rifles as you want. Snap a picture with the crosshair centered up on the hand warmer. The hand warmer will be zero for rifle number one. All the other hot casings are the zero for the other rifles. You just have to make a sketch and label which other points of impact belong to what rifle. Using a steady rest while taking the pic is necessary. In the pic I saved today, the hand warmer is zero for my 10/22 shooting subsonics. The upper left hand hot shell case is zero for my 300 BLK upper. The upper right hand hot shell case is for my 6.8 SPC upper. Now using Tylers method of unlocking the reticle while viewing the pic, I can move the crosshair from one to the other in a few seconds. I wish the Mark 2 would take pictures at 2X, 4X, or 4X for a little more precision.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:26:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Kudos to Tyler for figuring out how to save zero and the one shot zero method on the Mark 2. Today while using his one shot zero method, I came up with an idea. Zero the scope to rifle number one. Then move the scope to rifle number two. Fire one shot using the same point of aim "handwarmer" but do not adjust the scope. Mark that point of impact with a shell case that has been heated up , like another member here suggested. Then move the scope to riffle number three and repeat the process. This can be done with as many rifles as you want. Snap a picture with the crosshair centered up on the hand warmer. The hand warmer will be zero for rifle number one. All the other hot casings are the zero for the other rifles. You just have to make a sketch and label which other points of impact belong to what rifle. Using a steady rest while taking the pic is necessary. In the pic I saved today, the hand warmer is zero for my 10/22 shooting subsonics. The upper left hand hot shell case is zero for my 300 BLK upper. The upper right hand hot shell case is for my 6.8 SPC upper. Now using Tylers method of unlocking the reticle while viewing the pic, I can move the crosshair from one to the other in a few seconds. I wish the Mark 2 would take pictures at 2X, 4X, or 4X for a little more precision.
View Quote

I've yet to do do this. Right now, I use the soldering iron across the room. Ice cube on the window to mark make of rifle.  Only 300 and 308 for now...but I want to add more.  Just need to get each rifle zeroed first.   What really needs to happen is IRdefense needs to allow uploads of pictures.   So I can download them, label them and then upload them back labeled for each rifle
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:48:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
A stock mounted external  battery supply with 15+ hours of battery life and better cold weather resistance is the best option IMHO.    
View Quote

GET-THAT-IN-PRODUCTION.

N-O-W.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:54:24 AM EDT
[#11]
http://www.ultimatenightvision.com/ATN-ThOR-External-Battery-Adapter-p/unvthoradpt.htm

+

IR Hunter

= FUN
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:19:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#13]
wait wait wait.   explain how IRdefense says an external battery supply will void your warranty and you say it doesn't.  Just a little explaining, that's all.

I would like a mini USB port to plug in an external battery pack.  Something like this on the end of the cap.

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 10:42:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:45:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Can't wait to see what "one individual"  or IRdefense has to say in rebuttal.  From what Dave at IRDefense has told me,  Use of an external battery pack is not recommended and will void your warranty if used AND it damages your electronics. .  So, either I lie to Dave (which won't happen) and tell him I have no idea how the electronics are damaged.... or I tell him I used an external battery pack and it got damaged which would in fact void my warranty.  

Your battery pack may be sliced bread and never damage a thing, but it is what was stated by IRDefense.  They didn't name your external pack nor did they name any other battery pack.  They made a generalized statement that rechargables were a no no.  I'm not going to play any sort of game with my MK II until I know the facts and what's supported.   Not with a scope of this price.  

Here's,what you should do.  Make a statement and back your product that if it damages my scope, you will replace my unit in full, with shipping and applicable taxes if necessary.    Then maybe I'll consider.   Electronics can and will fail and could create voltage spikes, irratic power. Can even get wet at the connections and short out.   What sort of protection does your device give?  

Don't get me wrong.  I'm all for innovation and work arounds...  But it seems you are twisting what ir defense says and I assume all the liability.  Back your product

It would be nice to have rechargable power.  I want that.  I just am not sure I'll risk it at this point. Yet.   I can afford lots of batteries.  Not sure I can afford to replace my unit so quickly.    I've modfied my game cameras to accept external batteries.  They have held up well.  But from time to time I have water or condensation in the battery compartment of the external pack.   Some day, I might find my camera is inopperable.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 11:48:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 5:48:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Hang tight! We are working as fast as we can to make sure the adapter is rock solid before we send them out to customers. It will be weapon mountable, helmet mountable, and again no matter what you hear it will NOT void your warranty.    
View Quote

For 15 hours and weapon mountable, I don't care about the warranty; I am confident you know enough about batteries and voltage not to foul this up.  Seeing your external battery pack working without problems for the ATN units also induces confidence in my decision.  Bring it!!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:21:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 4:46:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok, lets see what you produce.  Thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:01:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Is it on the site yet?
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 2:30:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:19:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:40:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Awesome video!
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:17:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Sweet vid !
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 3:50:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Got the battery extender, and it does provide a fair amount of battery life. Wow.

Ran the unit all day and three CR123A is a serious improvement.

A few notes:

1) The lanyard for the battery cap has to be cut off  (not long enough)

2) The lanyard does have to  come off, as it's installed tight enough to not come off accidentlally

3) If you were to attempt to get the rubber o-ring  off so that you could screw a stretched lanyard off, the o-ring breaks Like a Morton-Thiokol special!

SO:

The battery extender is really a $200.00 item:

You need to purchase monofilament 1-1.6mm line, heat shrink, double copper barrel crimps, and a crimp tool - if you are not a fisherman and don't already have the stuff.  You, if you are a fat fingered as I was, have to replace the rubber gasket on the unit. (It appears a dental probe is not good enough to pull the o-ring and roll it off.)

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Got the battery extender, and it does provide a fair amount of battery life. Wow.

Ran the unit all day and three CR123A is a serious improvement.

A few notes:

1) The lanyard for the battery cap has to be cut off  (not long enough)

2) The lanyard does have to  come off, as it's installed tight enough to not come off accidentlally

3) If you were to attempt to get the rubber o-ring  off so that you could screw a stretched lanyard off, the o-ring breaks Like a Morton-Thiokol special!

SO:

The battery extender is really a $200.00 item:

You need to purchase monofilament 1-1.6mm line, heat shrink, double copper barrel crimps, and a crimp tool - if you are not a fisherman and don't already have the stuff.  You, if you are a fat fingered as I was, have to replace the rubber gasket on the unit. (It appears a dental probe is not good enough to pull the o-ring and roll it off.)

View Quote

My lanyard had adequate enough length to add the extender.  No modifications and went on easy. I paid 75 bucks for the extender with TNVC. It's not completely screwed in in the picture.  I'm not ready to use it yet.  Still have to burn through two batteries before I go to three fresh

Link Posted: 5/10/2015 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#30]
The battery lanyard needs to be removed from the scope, along with the battery cap. Simply stretch and peel the lanyard out of the original machined slot on the scope battery housing. Then the battery lanyard needs to be placed in the machined slot on the battery extender. Leave the o-ring on the scope. The battery extender has its own o-ring also.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 6:57:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Two things:

1) I was quoting the list price, which is supposed to be $99.00 (looking at the receipt....)... Yep, $99.00 at UNV.

2) My MK2 had a coated wire battery lanyard, not a plastic / rubber one, and it did not come off with ease and then broke.

Simple instructions would have prevented me doing anything but taking a pair of dikes to the wire (aka cross-cut pliers for those non-military folks out there).

Why? Because I ASSumed that the engineers that designed the MK2 would have considered the need to move the battery cap.

On Monday the supplies arrive to put in a new lanyard, and  I'll call IR Defense and look into picking up a few O-Rings
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 7:36:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Two things:

1) I was quoting the list price, which is supposed to be $99.00 (looking at the receipt....)... Yep, $99.00 at UNV.

2) My MK2 had a coated wire battery lanyard, not a plastic / rubber one, and it did not come off with ease and then broke.

Simple instructions would have prevented me doing anything but taking a pair of dikes to the wire (aka cross-cut pliers for those non-military folks out there).

Why? Because I ASSumed that the engineers that designed the MK2 would have considered the need to move the battery cap.

On Monday the supplies arrive to put in a new lanyard, and  I'll call IR Defense and look into picking up a few O-Rings
View Quote

Makes sense now
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Hey, delirious, what upper is that?
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Hey, delirious, what upper is that?
View Quote

http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/fade-to-black-daniel-defense-ddm4-300-sbr-review/
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#35]
Spoke with IR defense about my oops with the O-ring. Scott is sending a replacement.... Very pleasant fellow.

He indicated that when you put a full length wire battery lanyard on the extended battery housing is tends to get caught  while you are stalking.

So they are still trying to figure out a good solution for that…

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 4:05:03 PM EDT
[#36]
anyone tried to plug their MK II into goggles like these?  6LYfOnRsZzE

I could see plugging the MK II cable into the av in port and you instantly have aiming and visuals for the thermal.  Might take the place of a hand held unit if you are just panning around with the MK II at hip level
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:41:46 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

anyone tried to plug their MK II into goggles like these?  6LYfOnRsZzE

I could see plugging the MK II cable into the av in port and you instantly have aiming and visuals for the thermal.  Might take the place of a hand held unit if you are just panning around with the MK II at hip level
View Quote

I've done it, but not with a MKII.  It was a Tau core held in my hand.  This was before I owned a thermal weapon sight and my UAV was broken.  

Very very difficult to do.  It was like walking around with my eyeballs in my hands.  My vision was totally disconnected from my inner ear gyros.  Couldn't walk straight.

When I finally found some in the rice stubble I realized I couldn't easily drop the mess of wires and bring the shotgun to bear.  It was unnerving.

Killed some pigs anyway.  :D

Link Posted: 5/12/2015 9:37:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I would think that it's not for walking around.  Just sitting with your rifle on a shooting stick..  Maybe not such a great idea then
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/25/2015 8:13:28 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I will put together a quick video to demonstrate the on-shot-zero and reticle position recall to explain.

Finally got around to it.
https://youtu.be/C9CrYKYJlBQ

View Quote

Tyler, does this method work with the Patrol also?  If the Patrol can take photos, this method to keep multiple zeros for different rifles and recall on a pinch should work as well, no?
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#43]
So, any thoughts on when the new firmware will be released, and, just as importantly, the software to download the pictures from your Mk2?

GB

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 1:39:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So, any thoughts on when the new firmware will be released, and, just as importantly, the software to download the pictures from your Mk2?

GB

View Quote

Call IRdefense and request the software.  Last I heard the newer version was almost if not ready.  

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:09:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Can anyone who is using a mini dvr with the IR hunter MK II tell me how to get video to work.  I think it's 60 hz, reboot, then camera out.  My cable is causing the MK II to freeze up and when it's not frozen, the DVR doesn't get a signal.   If anyone can help, can you post some instructions  that get a mini dvr to work with the MK II?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:20:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:32:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Important things to remember when recording video with the MK II: - On level 8, make sure you are set to user and not factory.
- On level 8, make sure you are set to 60hz.
- On level 8, make sure you are set to video out put - ON.

Here is my process:

First, check to make sure level 8 says USER, not factory.
Second, make sure you are on 60hz(The MK II has to be in 60hz, then cycled to retain that frame rate. The video output is only there when in 60hz).
Third, make sure level 8 says video out ON, not off(you have to turn the video output on every time you start up the unit).
If you still aren't getting a video signal please feel free to call me and we can walk through the process and trouble shoot over the phone.

Hope that helps.

Tyler

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can anyone who is using a mini dvr with the IR hunter MK II tell me how to get video to work.  I think it's 60 hz, reboot, then camera out.  My cable is causing the MK II to freeze up and when it's not frozen, the DVR doesn't get a signal.   If anyone can help, can you post some instructions  that get a mini dvr to work with the MK II?
Important things to remember when recording video with the MK II: - On level 8, make sure you are set to user and not factory.
- On level 8, make sure you are set to 60hz.
- On level 8, make sure you are set to video out put - ON.

Here is my process:

First, check to make sure level 8 says USER, not factory.
Second, make sure you are on 60hz(The MK II has to be in 60hz, then cycled to retain that frame rate. The video output is only there when in 60hz).
Third, make sure level 8 says video out ON, not off(you have to turn the video output on every time you start up the unit).
If you still aren't getting a video signal please feel free to call me and we can walk through the process and trouble shoot over the phone.

Hope that helps.

Tyler

thanks tyler.  Do you have any feezing of the MK II whatsoever with the fischer cable plugged in?  My menues don't respond.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:38:47 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#49]
would you mind sending me a phone number via Personal message?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:51:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top