Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2014 8:40:34 PM EDT
Bad-ass doesn't begin to describe it. It's a whole new level of bad-assery. We need a new name for it. I know a few of you guys have used one of these before, but this is my first experience, so humor me...  

Anyway, I just picked this up from the same guy I got my PAS-13c Heavy from. Brand new in the original "retail" plastic storage case. It's a BAE OASYS Red-I ("red eye"). It's a remote HUD for any PAS B or C series TWS (it comes with BOTH sets of cables -- the cables that are virtually impossible to get... anywhere). The display quality is every bit as good as the internal OLED display in the PAS/C, which is to say -- EPIC! I'm surprised that it's this good.

Holy effin' crap, this thing is beautiful. The output goes from the 19-pin connector on the PAS to -- get this -- a THREE-pin RS-170 connection that goes into the battery / control unit on the RED-I. Another cable (all cables are detachable) goes from the control unit to the HUD. The HUD is on a multi-elbow swing-arm that is factory-fit to a nice pair of Wiley-X SG-1 "Tactical" ballistic goggles. Again, everything is removable, so I'm hoping to rig-up a way to attach the HUD to my ModArmory dual PVS adapter so I can swing the HUD out of the way when not in use, but have it at the ready when I need it, while running a PVS-14 with the PAS-29 COTI on the other.

Damn, this thing is just sick. Sick, sick, sick.

Here are a few photos. I put photos of the connector(s) last for Feebs and others who are into that kinda stuff.  

Also, interestingly (will get photos tomorrow, late now), the connector going from the HUD to the control unit is IDENTICAL to the connector going into the ATN Thor 640 5X. There MUST be some way to cable it for RS-170 so I can make this work with the Thor as well -- anyone?

ETA: Yes, I know I look like a pathetic Uberdork.

The universe's fattest BORG:

HEADGEAR: 2x Omni VII PVS-14, AN/PAS-29 COTI on Left PVS-14, OASYS HUD, TW Exfil LTP, Norotos AKA2, ModArmory Dual PVS Bridge

BTW: The HUD is ON, and I'm looking at the image of the boards on my porch as seen through the PAS. No visible trace from the front. Schweet!

The sexy cable shots for the geek brigade:

Yes, it was (relatively) expensive, but it was brand new in the box with all stickers, etc -- and it's just too bad-ass to pass on.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Wicked Cool!
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 10:14:23 PM EDT
[#2]
You dork.

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Also, if you want to make a trip down to Louisiana, we can figure it out.  If the eyepiece accepts NTSC video, you are pretty much gold and just need a cable made.  (I can do that too, I'm a nerd in real life).

Edit:

Just read the web page for the eye piece.  I'm pretty sure this dude would work with a ThOR.

• RS170 video input compatible with military night sensors such as Thermal Weapon Sight (TWS).

• Interface cables available for TWS I and TWS II video, RCA, BNC, or custom available.

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 11:11:21 PM EDT
[#4]
He can remotely make the trip now.

Very cool Horta
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 1:48:18 AM EDT
[#5]
OK now that is cuper cool I gota give it to ya!!!!!!!!!!1
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 2:34:29 AM EDT
[#6]
How bad is the wallet damage on something like that?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 4:35:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 4:36:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Horta you definitely win as the kid with the coolest toys!
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 5:04:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You dork.

View Quote

Dork is Swedish for "High Speed Death Machine", I believe.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 5:05:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also, if you want to make a trip down to Louisiana, we can figure it out.  If the eyepiece accepts NTSC video, you are pretty much gold and just need a cable made.  (I can do that too, I'm a nerd in real life).  

Edit:

Just read the web page for the eye piece.  I'm pretty sure this dude would work with a ThOR.
  • RS170 video input compatible with military night sensors such as Thermal Weapon Sight (TWS).
  • Interface cables available for TWS I and TWS II video, RCA, BNC, or custom available.

View Quote

I think I'll make it a date. I'll bring a carload of crap.  

Got anything down there that needs killin'?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:25:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Being told "you are such a dork" several times by my wife this weekend after taking an LS64 to the zoo, I'm printing that picture and sticking it to the refrigerator.  

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Being told "you are such a dork" several times by my wife this weekend after taking an LS64 to the zoo, I'm printing that picture and sticking it to the refrigerator.  

View Quote

That, and she could've done a hell of a lot worse in the ugly department so she should be even more thankful and appreciative.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 8:39:01 AM EDT
[#13]
That is unholy cool.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 8:43:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Horta,
Have you got to try it out on the move yet? That was my only complaint with the COTI is that it would give glitchy images while moving (not so much on foot, but on an ATV or other vehicle). Pretty sweet setup with the duals.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 9:21:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Horta,
Have you got to try it out on the move yet? That was my only complaint with the COTI is that it would give glitchy images while moving (not so much on foot, but on an ATV or other vehicle). Pretty sweet setup with the duals.
View Quote

Yeah... on the "Full" setting there is a pronounced Jell-O effect when panning your head. It's a little better when using one of the lesser settings, like outline or whatever the lowest one is called. The lowest setting basically doesn't pick up anything but live animals / humans, where the "Full" acts more like traditional thermal.

I haven't tried it on my ATV yet, but I ride with the dual PVS or dual MUM rigs all the time.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 9:48:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yeah... on the "Full" setting there is a pronounced Jell-O effect when panning your head. It's a little better when using one of the lesser settings, like outline or whatever the lowest one is called. The lowest setting basically doesn't pick up anything but live animals / humans, where the "Full" acts more like traditional thermal.

I haven't tried it on my ATV yet, but I ride with the dual PVS or dual MUM rigs all the time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Horta,

Need to see a vid of the COTI in action on all settings.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 11:00:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 11:13:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 9:49:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Nice setup!!!

Just order some end connectors to make up some cables when you meet up with BushmanLA, may need a way to control video level if its non adjustable from source.

Bluetooth or wifi to make it wireless ?

With that setup you can shoot while lying down napping
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#20]
you need a turret mounted on this ATV you speak of to mount the weapon.

a cheap RC radio/receiver and a servo to have a remote firing system.

you could probably do it for a few hundred bucks. the electronics could be purchased for less than $100...... the further i typed in this post the more realization I had that this could (and should) be done pretty easily.

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 11:41:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I am definitely not going to try to keep up with you.  Pretty sure it can't be done.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 12:21:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are killing me!!!!

This one got me good
http://www.huntsvillebible.com/images/biff/horta_fatface_borg_02.jpg

If I were a true Uberdork, I would have uncovered the COTI objective.  

I'm such a poser.  
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

you could probably do it for a few hundred bucks. the electronics could be purchased for less than $100...... the further i typed in this post the more realization I had that this could (and should) be done pretty easily.
View Quote

That's just... too cool to NOT be done!

Bushman... get the soldering iron ready. We're gonna do somethin' "special."  
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm such a poser.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are killing me!!!!

This one got me good
http://www.huntsvillebible.com/images/biff/horta_fatface_borg_02.jpg

I'm such a poser.  

The file name earns you a pass.

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:07:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then hook it up to a pair of Google Glasses for hands free operation.
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/06/04/the-revolutionary-new-piece-of-gun-technology-that-some-are-calling-scary-and-others-are-praising-as-fin-sweet/
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:50:18 PM EDT
[#27]
The only thing I see missing now is a shoulder firing system with head pointing and voice control. Uh maybe that might not be a smart idea after all. I can see him trying to pull out his private and snag his zipper saying '' OH SHOOT ''
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I missed this, but...

The US GOV order 3,000 of these HUDs from BAE a couple of years ago for an order total of $21 million -- which, if you do the math, means they paid $7,000 for each one of them.  

According to a "report" I saw, they wound up sending half to the units but sat on the rest. The point where the HUD connects to the PAS was not very robust. It's fine for anything you and I will likely ever do with it, but not under active combat. In other words, they were breaking in the field and BAE told DoD "not our problem."

Anyway, I paid just under $3k for each of mine (I now have two), brand new in "sealed" boxes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top