Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2014 8:32:00 AM EDT
Anyone else have a problem with this combo? The INVG is somewhat loose in the Ops Core molded-in shroud, and rattles. I had to stuff weatherstripping foam in there. It just does not lock up tight by itself. Makes more noise when you are flipping it around. Think I am going to dump the Base Jump and get a TW instead. I also find the OCBJ uncomfortable after a hour or two. I've tried both sizes (M/L and L/XL), various pads, and just can't get it comfortable.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:40:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone else have a problem with this combo? The INVG is somewhat loose in the Ops Core molded-in shroud, and rattles. I had to stuff weatherstripping foam in there. It just does not lock up tight by itself. Makes more noise when you are flipping it around. Think I am going to dump the Base Jump and get a TW instead. I also find the OCBJ uncomfortable after a hour or two. I've tried both sizes (M/L and L/XL), various pads, and just can't get it comfortable.
View Quote

Solid as a rock on my TW LTP / Exfli. Not a micron of movement, feels welded on:

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As far as the pads go, I have the same issue. I get terrible headaches from them. I switched to the LTP, because IMO it's the most comfortable non ballistic on the market.

View Quote

Exactly my experience with the OC vs the TW LTP.   I got to test out a LTP at the Walking Dead Zombie Prepper 3 gun last year and was 100% sold.   The aluminum shroud insert makes all the difference in the world and the comfort of the TW LTP is second to none.  For $300, a great buy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:18:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Its because the shroud is made of polymer and can either be worn down over time, or have slightly more wiggle room than others. The TW LTP has a two part shroud consisting of an aircraft aluminum billet insert, allowing the tolerances to be very precise, and will not wear down over time.

As far as the pads go, I have the same issue. I get terrible headaches from them. I switched to the LTP, because IMO it's the most comfortable non ballistic on the market.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its because the shroud is made of polymer and can either be worn down over time, or have slightly more wiggle room than others. The TW LTP has a two part shroud consisting of an aircraft aluminum billet insert, allowing the tolerances to be very precise, and will not wear down over time.

I've had the chance to wear both an OC Base Jump and a TW LTP over the last two nights and the TW is far and away more comfortable.  Both the INVG mount and the L4 G11 mount lock up rock solid in the TW, but both wiggle enough in the OC to be aggravating.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:46:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Coming from my hard hat i wear at work the OC is more comfortable. But now that people mention the padding system, it does have very similar pressure points and it gives me a head ache as well.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Do any of y'all run OTH comms headsets with the TW?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I run Peltor Comtac's. What would you like to know?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 3:06:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont have comtacs, but I was also wondering if my peltor's would work with that setup as well     ETA: if it will work with the rail hookup the comtacs use

these are the ones i have
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:07:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Great. I just ordered an Ops Core. I'd have gone with the TW had I know it was a problem.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:44:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Great. I just ordered an Ops Core. I'd have gone with the TW had I know it was a problem.
View Quote

Don't sweat it.  My wife and I have three OpsCores, and they work just fine with all of the mounts in front of me, including rhino, INVG, AKA2, G24, and G11.  The key for us is putting a small piece of the "furry" side of Velcro tape inside the receptacle to tighten up the fit just a little bit.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:22:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I dont have comtacs, but I was also wondering if my peltor's would work with that setup as well     ETA: if it will work with the rail hookup the comtacs use

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mDsiY-Ys0xHUbwPA-myKGnQ.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mDsiY-Ys0xHUbwPA-myKGnQ.jpg

They should...but I can't honestly say "yes" with 100% certainty.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:27:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I use the OpsCore and mine locks up tight as a drum. I don't know much about wear because I rarely (if ever) remove the mount. I locked it in place and that is where it stays. I want to try out the Nightcap but I really like my OpsCore.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:37:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Don't sweat it.  My wife and I have three OpsCores, and they work just fine with all of the mounts in front of me, including rhino, INVG, AKA2, G24, and G11.  The key for us is putting a small piece of the "furry" side of Velcro tape inside the receptacle to tighten up the fit just a little bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that as soon as it arrives.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:36:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Decided to order the TW helmet. Will post pic in helmet thread when I get it all set up... then sell the OCBJ in EE.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:50:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I use the OpsCore and mine locks up tight as a drum. I don't know much about wear because I rarely (if ever) remove the mount. I locked it in place and that is where it stays. I want to try out the Nightcap but I really like my OpsCore.
View Quote

I got both, and I'm happy I did
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:03:02 AM EDT
[#16]
I had a slightly loose fit in my OpsCore bump helmet with INVG and merely placed a layer of teflon tape behind the mount on the helmet. Took up the space just fine.
Teflon tape isn't necessary, just use any tape that is hard - tape that won't compress much.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:36:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I have both a base jump and a LTP. My INVG mount was loose on my base jump, I just put a few layers of electrical tape on the backside of the mount and it works great.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:24:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I dont have comtacs, but I was also wondering if my peltor's would work with that setup as well     ETA: if it will work with the rail hookup the comtacs use these are the ones i have
View Quote

The Peltor ARC rail adapters fit the Peltor 6S muffs just fine.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 6:05:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Funny, I just got my INVG, put it in the TW, and it wiggles.  I'd say .5mm in the vertical.  Definitely NOT rock-solid.

I think I'd like to send the set back to you so that you can evaluate which part needs to be replaced.

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 6:20:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Sounds like your INVG is out of spec.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 6:39:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View Quote

That's what I'm guessing.  But it could be the shroud, no?

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 6:54:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I've never had a shroud rattle in my ops-core. I've had some that are very tight! But none that are loose.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 6:54:16 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be the shroud but if you've tried on two different systems and it still doesn't work, I'd suspect the mount.is either out of spec or on the low side of the tolerance.  I know Norotos does swap these out if needed.  With the money I spent on the INVG, I wouldn't accept anything less than bank vault.  If I wanted wobbly, I'd have stayed with the rhino arm.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 6:56:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess it could be slightly out of spec. Seems to be a VERY fine line with these things. To tight and it won't lock up reliably and may pop out. To loose and it wiggles which folks don't like. Personally I would rather have mine a tad loose because I can easily shim the back if it wobbles to much.

My mount locks up tight as a drum on my OpsCore helmet and other guys say it is loose. I don't know, I just think a tad loose allows for a secure lock every time and I can adjust it if needed to suit personal preference.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 7:01:42 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I guess it could be slightly out of spec. Seems to be a VERY fine line with these things. To tight and it won't lock up reliably and may pop out. To loose and it wiggles which folks don't like. Personally I would rather have mine a tad loose because I can easily shim the back if it wobbles to much.

My mount locks up tight as a drum on my OpsCore helmet and other guys say it is loose. I don't know, I just think a tad loose allows for a secure lock every time and I can adjust it if needed to suit personal preference.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmmm..... I certainly don't want to play shipping tag.  Hearing that the combo I have should be a perfect fit - especially considering the price I paid - makes me want perfection.

I think I'm going to take advantage of the excellent customer service that TNVC is known for, ship it to them, and let them fix the problem.

E-mail sent to TNVC.

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 8:38:22 AM EDT
[#26]
All of these

fit quite well to all of these

The key is a small piece of furry velcro tape.  It seems to be compliant enough to allow positive engagement, and firm enough to eliminate any wobble.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 9:35:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Huh! Now thats something I wouldn't have thought of. Going to go buy some velcro!
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Huh! Now thats something I wouldn't have thought of. Going to go buy some velcro!
View Quote

Yep, that's a neat trick.

I'll try that on my OC this evening and see if it locks up as tight as the TW.

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 5:29:11 PM EDT
[#29]
My INVG locks up tight as Dick's hatband in my new TW LTP. It required a piece of thick shim tape in my OCBJ. My money is on the OCBJ being out of spec. I'm loving the TW helmet, especially the superior fit and comfort on my noggin. YMMV
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
My INVG locks up tight as Dick's hatband in my new TW LTP. It required a piece of thick shim tape in my OCBJ. My money is on the OCBJ being out of spec. I'm loving the TW helmet, especially the superior fit and comfort on my noggin. YMMV
View Quote

same as my experience, my TW LTP was so tight the first time i tried to put the mount in i thought something was wrong. locks up very tight and is very comfortable.

since Im still waiting for my 14 to ship ive just been walking around in the helmet cause im bored
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 6:50:21 PM EDT
[#31]
I haven't had to put Velcro on mine yet. It's really new and locks up tight. As for uncomfortable after an hour or more, I think the Ops Core feels like heaven. Of course after having to spend days on end for years wearing an old PASGT and MICH with 7's and 14's and no ballast bags or stuff like that I guess I'm easily impressed. Now I want to get a TW helmet. I couldn't imagine how nice that'd be. I already wear the OC all the time (my wife and kids think I'm nuts) especially while playing Call of Duty ...
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wonderful. I just ordered a $230 glorified skate board helmet (from TNVC) last week and now I run across this. The OC helmet is comfortable enough for my uses (does have some pressure points), but the plastic shroud wear issue has me concerned. At least currently my mount is tight. Hopefully it will stay that way... OC needs to put steel inserts in the damn shroud at this price point.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 1:45:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top