Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2014 5:38:09 AM EDT
When I wear my TW with dual PVS-14's -- sans counterweight -- it only takes about 30 seconds before my spine splinters and fails. I mean, holy crap this thing is heavy. However, I notice when I apply some weight to the back of the helmet with my hand all is right with the world again. From reading these forums, I knew counterweights help, but it's amazing the difference.

Since this is such a bulky setup, will a normal counterweight work? Do I need something more robust? I just want to "buy once."

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:55:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I use a nylon weight bag with wheel weights in it. Has Velcro stitched to one side to attach to helmet. Add weight until it gets comfortable. You can get old weights at any garage. Lead shot works too.
Or you can buy one from HERE
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:57:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use a nylon weight bag with wheel weights in it. Has Velcro stitched to one side to attach to helmet. Add weight until it gets comfortable. You can get old weights at any garage. Lead shot works too.
Or you can buy one from HERE
View Quote

Do the weights "jiggle" around or shift?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:58:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope. they fit pretty tight in the bag. Been using the same weight bag on my flight helmet for almost 20 years.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:59:48 AM EDT
[#4]
I've heard putting an MS2000 on the back (can usually buy them for ~$50) helps to act as a counter-weight. Some guys also put a pistol mag pouch and a loaded mag back there because they don't like the idea of "dead" weight.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:06:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I only have a single, but I used an old handcuff pouch and added some sheet steel until it balanced right.  There's room for way more than I have in there. Inexpensive and functional, but not tier 1 cool.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:14:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I have mentioned this before, but I run a very similar setup (TW, two pinnacle tubed 14's, TATM or L4 G24 or AKA2, and the MOD dual mount). My very favorite CW for this particular setup is a dual mag pouch with two loaded Glock 19 mags in it. It gives you the perfect balance and you also have an item with a secondary use instead of dead weight. If I run a single 14, I pull the mag on the opposite side and replace it with 8 CR123's in a shrink wrapped stick.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have mentioned this before, but I run a very similar setup (TW, two pinnacle tubed 14's, TATM or L4 G24 or AKA2, and the MOD dual mount). My very favorite CW for this particular setup is a dual mag pouch with two loaded Glock 19 mags in it. It gives you the perfect balance and you also have an item with a secondary use instead of dead weight. If I run a single 14, I pull the mag on the opposite side and replace it with 8 CR123's in a shrink wrapped stick.
View Quote

OK, I like the idea of "functional" weight. I also have an MS2000 as well, so two mags (G21) and the MS2000 sounds like it'll do the trick.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:28:03 AM EDT
[#8]
A functional weight is a better idea than mine because I don't have to "carry" mine everywhere. I just sit down and enjoy the ride while I am under goggles.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:38:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A functional weight is a better idea than mine because I don't have to "carry" mine everywhere. I just sit down and enjoy the ride while I am under goggles.
View Quote

Lucky stiff  
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:08:39 AM EDT
[#10]
TNVC has a few counterweights listed they all work well

https://tnvc.com/shop/category/counterweights/

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 12:09:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
TNVC has a few counterweights listed they all work well

https://tnvc.com/shop/category/counterweights/

View Quote

I'm currently using the EOG kit with dual PVS-14s. Might have to get that Ops-Core weight if it fits on my Airframe XL.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:43:32 PM EDT
[#12]
EOG is the lowest drag but I've seen much more cost effective methods.

Check it
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:45:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I highly recommend EOG as well.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:45:24 PM EDT
[#15]
I use EOG as well.  Very low profile and weights can be added/removed to get just the balance you want.  I have enough gear on me that I don't need to add clunky things to my helmet.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:14:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
EOG makes some great kit and have the most versatility for different helmet setups.  I like em a bunch.
Vic
View Quote

I used two G21 mags in velcro Molle pouches, and the difference was staggering. I could actually walk around without neck fatigue for an hour.

However, it's a kludgey solution, so I'll order up the EOG from you. Do they come with the weight, or do I need to get that separately?
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:18:01 AM EDT
[#17]
I prefer a ten round magazine for the rifle.

Nobody rides for free
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:24:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I prefer a ten round magazine for the rifle.

Nobody rides for free
View Quote

For the dual PVS-14 / MA bridge, I think I'd need a 60-round Surefire mag to compensate  
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#20]
A SAW drum (200rd version) does the trick nicely. Seriously though, I feel like I get a great balance with the two G19 mags loaded with 147g, if I am rocking the dual 14's. I will say, use the bungee's that come on the helmet to hold it on, then pull the top (well its actually the bottom, but the pouches are upside down) tight to the helmet with little zip ties. The dual 14's make the most versatile setup, but they are heavy. I am about to skeletonize the mounts for mine and see if I can shave an ounce or two.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:00:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I use an MS2000 with a single 14 and it works well. Not sure how well it would work for a dual setup though. I just ordered an Ops Core bump helmet and bought the Ops Core ballast for it as well. I'm hoping that I can use that and go back to a Phoenix strobe so my helmet doesn't feel so cluttered anymore.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm getting ready to pull the trigger at TNVC, but I'm trying to decide between the EOG (full size) and the OSOE NSW that holds the MS2000. I have the 2000, and that looks like it would be perfect instead of having to mount a counterweight *and* the strobe. I could use the battery pocket for additional weight, since I don't think batteries alone would be sufficient. Would it hold a 13-round G21 mag?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top