Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2014 5:28:58 PM EDT
I've pretty much settled on Crimson Trace Laser grips, so that I can use the ccw holster I have and like and keep my rail open for a weapon light.  Unless everyone says they're crap (which I doubt) or can give me a good reason to get a rail mounted one (possible).

What I'm racking my brain on is deciding between the IR or the visible red laser.  I can see advantages to both of them.
IR: Can only see it with NV
Red: easier to sight in, still useable if I don't have my NV for some reason

I suppose there's the dual spectrum option, if I want to spend twice the money on twice the lasers

Opinions?

After I figure this out I get to decide between getting it for the G17 or P229

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]
JMHO, but I far prefer the CT grips on the P229 versus any Glock, and prefer the CT grips on an M&P over everything.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:59:57 PM EDT
[#2]
for what its worth I have the crimson trace rail master in IR and I really like it.
I use it as a cheap IR laser on my AR and works well.

I guess it just depends on when you intend to use it, if its gonna be at night with your nvg's I would go with IR.

if its 50/50 with nvg's  and day time i would probably go with a visible laser.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 6:50:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've pretty much settled on Crimson Trace Laser grips, so that I can use the ccw holster I have and like and keep my rail open for a weapon light.  Unless everyone says they're crap (which I doubt) or can give me a good reason to get a rail mounted one (possible).

What I'm racking my brain on is deciding between the IR or the visible red laser.  I can see advantages to both of them.
IR: Can only see it with NV
Red: easier to sight in, still useable if I don't have my NV for some reason

I suppose there's the dual spectrum option, if I want to spend twice the money on twice the lasers

Opinions?

After I figure this out I get to decide between getting it for the G17 or P229

Thanks
View Quote

Since CT doesn't make IR grips for the Ruger MKII- I use one of the 720 nm 30mm IR bypass filters on my PVS14.  Through this set up, a 5mW visible red laser appears dimmer than the .7mW IR laser, and is perfect for pistol distances.  Lets me use all the lasers I already had before I got NV.  For hog hunting (obviously not with the MKII), if using an illuminator, the effective range of the 5mW red laser is about 25 yards with the filter, so I have a separate IR laser that is easily visible much farther than I'm going to shoot.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#4]
CT makes IR laser grips for a 1911, can ru a conversion kit or put them on a 22/45, i have a unimax, rail master, and the ct grips.

Comparing the three I like the unimax for an AR rail, the rail master for a glock, the grips for my 1911. Just got ahold of a crye gunclip for glock, seemed to be the only good option to carry a laser equipped glock as most holsters are only designed for something such as a X300 or TLR light. The gunclip also allows the suppressor height sights, and leaving the suppressor mounted, with a .22 slide conversion and a small can it probably wouldn't be too bad keeping in mind a can on a decent size pistol can end up being nearly 24" long.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#5]
All my use with CT has been with visable lasers (1911, SIG 226, M9, G19 and VFG on M4) this has been down range in Iraq/Astan (03-11') and at home.  Course have used various IR units when in the Army on rifles and had a Surefire unit for my AR but since I no longer use NVGs at home I'll stick to the visiable  CT grips (1911, G19, VFG for home use).

CD
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:05:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I use a railmaster IR as my primary nv laser. One thing to know is just how bright that dot is at pistol distances. Basically it will wash out the target 10-15 yards away, so I suggest you get a filter (I use the filter for a DBAL), and either glue it or figure out a way to secure it to the front of the laser. The dot is plenty bright at a few hundred yards and won't wash out closer targets.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 6:58:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Update: I got the IR Glock grip laser.

IR because I realized that I had no interest in a laser until having night vision.  Glock because that's what I've been carrying for the last five years and only just got the Sig a couple of months ago.  It does make the grip bulkier than I thought it would.  Probably going to get the Sig version too in the next month or so.

It was easier to zero than I thought it would be.  With the day light cap on in the day, it's easy to focus on the pistol sights and the laser dot at the same time and adjust them to the same place.

The brightness is nice.  Much less than the LDI OTAL, but being on a pistol it doesn't need to point at things a mile away.  I didn't get to play with it outside, but inside from 10 to 30 feet it doesn't bloom too bad.  Aimed out a window, it was visible at about 50 yards.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:16:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Another option:  X400U IR at TNVC.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:29:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:00:19 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're interested it looks like TNVC just added the X400U-IR to their site. I'm personally holding out for the X400V-IR because I'd like an IR illuminator built in.

That said, I could REALLY use M&P IR or dual grips, but I haven't heard if CTC has plans to expand their IR line.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:06:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm personally holding out for the X400V-IR because I'd like an IR illuminator built in.
View Quote

Same. I will never understand how I would use White Light with IR laser.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 3:33:36 PM EDT
[#12]
X400V-IR please.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:44:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you're interested it looks like TNVC just added the X400U-IR to their site. I'm personally holding out for the X400V-IR because I'd like an IR illuminator built in.

That said, I could REALLY use M&P IR or dual grips, but I haven't heard if CTC has plans to expand their IR line.
View Quote

That saved me a bunch of typing.

Link Posted: 4/25/2014 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Any news on the dbal pl?
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 5:25:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I have two pistol lasers in my old SIG P-229 .357 SIG, a CR IR grip laser and a LaserMax guide rod red visible laser:

Easy and quick to use either day or night.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:33:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:38:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This, in a low output Class 1 IR I have been testing....More to come.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/Clutch99/LaserMaxC1IR_zpsc986338b.jpg

Vic
View Quote

That's cool. Standing by for the review. Anybody run it in a 19/23 suppressed?
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Vic
View Quote

Godammit Vic!

I have a son to take care of.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:03:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:09:56 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My son makes it easy, he was running a pano goggle a few months ago and tells me, "these are ok, but you still need to sell those Cyclops ones at Costco".    Can't win sometimes!

Vic
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

Godammit Vic!

My son makes it easy, he was running a pano goggle a few months ago and tells me, "these are ok, but you still need to sell those Cyclops ones at Costco".    Can't win sometimes!

Vic

Boys will be boys.

The cool factor just evolves as we get older.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:53:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Vic
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Vic

Godammit Vic!

Vic

You should totally have those branded with "TNVC" and sell them next to the teeshirts, stickers, and posters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top