Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2014 6:57:16 AM EDT
http://defensetech.org/2014/03/28/scientists-develop-night-vision-contact-lens/

The University of Michigan has developed a prototype contact lens that enhances night vision by placing a thin strip of graphene between layers of glass. The graphene — a form of carbon — reacts to photons, which makes dark images look brighter

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:12:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm waiting for the hybrid NV/Thermal/X-ray contacts.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Everytime people find another photovoltaic material, the material is only a few hundred microns thick, thinner than a contact lens, and the media always talk about making human night vision contact lenses.

Meanwhile, no one ever mentions that GaAs is only a few hundred microns thick, thinner than a contact lens, and does the job admirably.

The problem with trying to make a contact lens out of anything, is that none of these materials can re-emit a photon on the same vector as the incident one that they absorbed, so they lose that information, and in doing so, cannot be "inline" within any light.

This means that all the lenses have to be re-installed to focus the light correctly, which means that they can make contact lenses, but the are still going to be three inches thick to accommodate all the glass necessary to correct the light paths. About the same as current technology. That's not something I want stuck to my eye anytime in the near future. The closest near-technology they could manage without those lenses would be to place something on the retina to stimulate the nerves directly based on out-of-band light ( after they replace the cornea and lens to allow the light to focus correctly ). Again not so great :(

The biggest true advantage of new materials isn't the concept of creating contact lenses or even lightweight glasses - it's the ability of the devices to improve efficiencies, or be sensitive to wavelengths other than what the current technology can manage, or to massively reduce the cost of production.

Regards

David
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Everytime people find another photovoltaic material, the material is only a few hundred microns thick, thinner than a contact lens, and the media always talk about making human night vision contact lenses.

Meanwhile, no one ever mentions that GaAs is only a few hundred microns thick, thinner than a contact lens, and does the job admirably.

The problem with trying to make a contact lens out of anything, is that none of these materials can re-emit a photon on the same vector as the incident one that they absorbed, so they lose that information, and in doing so, cannot be "inline" within any light.

This means that all the lenses have to be re-installed to focus the light correctly, which means that they can make contact lenses, but the are still going to be three inches thick to accommodate all the glass necessary to correct the light paths. About the same as current technology. That's not something I want stuck to my eye anytime in the near future. The closest near-technology they could manage without those lenses would be to place something on the retina to stimulate the nerves directly based on out-of-band light ( after they replace the cornea and lens to allow the light to focus correctly ). Again not so great :(

The biggest true advantage of new materials isn't the concept of creating contact lenses or even lightweight glasses - it's the ability of the devices to improve efficiencies, or be sensitive to wavelengths other than what the current technology can manage, or to massively reduce the cost of production.

Regards
David
View Quote

system overload

I wish I could understand half of what you said
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

system overload

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regards
David

system overload

Don't worry about it. From where he comes from water swirls the opposite direction so what do you think happens to the light.

I have learned more from theses guys than I could ever imagine!
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 4:55:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't worry about it. From where he comes from water swirls the opposite direction so what do you think happens to the light.

View Quote

And Bernoulli's Principle operates in reverse.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I see what you did there... Graphene or not
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 6:37:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Double tap. ?......just raising my post count.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 4:44:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Regards
David
View Quote

That's exactly what I was gonna say...
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 5:17:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Regards

David

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:00:08 PM EDT
[#10]
The solution is actually quite simple... Pay 20 Menthol KOOL's for a surgical shine job.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130407181505/riddick/images/0/05/Slide8.jpg
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:15:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

system overload

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regards
David

system overload

Would you like me to translate ? I can do this in story form for you guys. This is how CJ explains it to me... This is actually one of the simple ones and would only be a short story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top