BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 15
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hogs and coyotes are not legal game, they are vermin.

There is no legal game hunting at night that I know of on private or public land.

Legal game are deer, turkeys, ducks, squirrels, etc.
View Quote

I believe raccoons are legal to hunt at night.

I found this site, gives a good 50 state regs on night hunting.
A 50 State Guide - Is night vision Legal to use for hunting in my State ?
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 8:51:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Is Thermal really night vision? I mean, Night scopes and pvs 14's etc.. are what I consider night vision but Thermal? Is thermal technically NIGHT VISION?
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 9:13:27 PM EDT
[#3]
In our state it is.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 9:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hogs and coyotes are not legal game, they are vermin.

There is no legal game hunting at night that I know of on private or public land.

Legal game are deer, turkeys, ducks, squirrels, etc.

Raccoons are legal here to hunt at night.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Kansas

Night Hunting:  Allowed for coyote & furbearers but no artificial lights are allowed.  However, hand-held, battery-powered flashlights, hat lamps, or hand-held lanterns may be used to take trapped furbearers, trapped coyotes, or furbearers treed by dogs with .22 rimfire rifles and handguns.
Night Vision:  Not Allowed, per the 2010 Kansas Hunting & Fur harvesting Regulations Summary, Furbearers and coyotes may be taken at night, but use of artificial light, including optics that project or amplify light, is prohibited.  
Phone: 316-342-0658

THERMAL might be a loop hloe for Kansas night hunters.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 9:46:13 PM EDT
[#6]
I am getting allot of PM's asking if a coyote and German Shepard were standing side by side at 200 yards, would I know which one is the coyote and the dog?

Thermal is NOT going to ID an animal like that and it is imperative that the shooter ID's what he is shooting at prior to pulling the trigger.

So the answer is no.
Link Posted: 3/2/2014 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#7]
".30 caliber gas operated"

So 308 HK roller block action is too much recoil?
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 6:59:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
".30 caliber gas operated"

So 308 HK roller block action is too much recoil?
View Quote

You can be the first to try it out, I will be the first to have one on my Ruger #1 in 7mm Rem Mag.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I did talk to one of the game wardens that we work with and he did tell me that using a thermal weapon scope during the DAY during REGULAR HUNTING SEASON on public or private land is PERFECTLY ACCEPTABLE for legal game animal hunting during legal shooting hours.

That means you can use a FLIR Thermal Weapon scope on deer, turkeys, and other legal game during the day.

Check you individual state for legal restrictions though.
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 9:04:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Those of you thinking about purchasing one of the FLIR RS thermal weapon scopes should look at this video taken with a FLIR M-18 RECON 640 core with 35mm lens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx32hJH_rpI&feature=youtu.be

Video was taken in my back yard with zero moon, clear sky, extremely dark night, low humindity and 58-60*F climate.

My game cam tree is 175 yards out, other beginning of tree canopy is 225 yards out, underneath the tree canopy is 350 yards out.

This video is similar to what you will be viewing through a FLIR RS-65-35mm thermal weapon scope.

Notice the extreme clarity, resolution, and super wide FOV.

At night, when hunting, you want ALL THE FOV you can get!

I will be testing out the FLIR RS64-35mm scope again later on this week and will take some video through it to post here for comparison.....
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep in mind with SkyPup's latest video...  You're only seeing it in 360p and as such it is degraded quite a bit.  One of these days he'll quit messing around and figure out a real way to upload the full resolution video to YouTube.  Until then, just keep in mind that they are WAY better in person...
Link Posted: 3/3/2014 11:39:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Those of you thinking about purchasing one of the FLIR RS thermal weapon scopes should look at this video taken with a FLIR M-18 RECON 640 core with 35mm lens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx32hJH_rpI&feature=youtu.be

Video was taken in my back yard with zero moon, clear sky, extremely dark night, low humindity and 58-60*F climate.

My game cam tree is 175 yards out, other beginning of tree canopy is 225 yards out, underneath the tree canopy is 350 yards out.

This video is similar to what you will be viewing through a FLIR RS-65-35mm thermal weapon scope.

Notice the extreme clarity, resolution, and super wide FOV.

At night, when hunting, you want ALL THE FOV you can get!

I will be testing out the FLIR RS64-35mm scope again later on this week and will take some video through it to post here for comparison.....
View Quote

Looking forward to that, that's the one that has my eye.  Being the fact that it is half the price of the LWTS I nearly pulled the trigger on, I should be able to afford to eat the rest of the year too
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I've already paid for an RS64-35, so I'd love to see some videos while I'm waiting for mine.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Keep in mind with SkyPup's latest video...  You're only seeing it in 360p and as such it is degraded quite a bit.  One of these days he'll quit messing around and figure out a real way to upload the full resolution video to YouTube.  Until then, just keep in mind that they are WAY better in person...
View Quote

Oh, really?
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#15]
SkyPup, is the 35mm lens on the RS series the improved better transmision lens that you had mentioned a while ago?
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
SkyPup, is the 35mm lens on the RS series the improved better transmision lens that you had mentioned a while ago?
View Quote

No, that was the new larger 60mm lens with the higher F stop #, still the 35mm lens is f/1.2 which is quite good with a large aperture for a narrow depth of field with soft background blur. That is the one I want.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 3:54:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Oh, really?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, really?

Just say it or folks will get confused.

Output of these units is usually NTSC/analog. Folks should not presume if it is 360/480 on YouTube that it could be 720/1080 with equivalent increase in resolution.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#19]
TheHorta, that link doesn't work for me. Search terms?
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I think I'm going to develop a full HD 1080p Microblobometerything. I mean, really, 640x480 is like 1980's VGA. How hard could it be?

I'm also going to raise my own Geraniums, so I can make that special glass much cheaper.

It may take me a few weeks, depending upon how quickly I can get my greenhouse up and how fast Geraniums grow, but by my estimates I'll be able to mass produce 1080p thermal imagers with 10x optical zoom lenses for... like... fifty bucks.
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

FIXED!

Forgot to remove the double "http://"

However, the reviews are mixed and question whether it's really 22.4k

This unit, for less money, seems to have many more positive reviews -- 15,000 mAh Anker
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 5:26:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Output is 720X480 NTSC 30fps.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:26:17 AM EDT
[#23]
When using the 64-35mm do you ever find that you are unable to get a target into good focus since the lens is not adjustable?  I would think that this would only ever happen at really close ranges but thought I'd ask anyway.  Also, I know you said you mainly use these at their max FOV setting, but is the whole zoom range fairly clear or does it get super pixelated at higher magnifications?  This will be my only thermal for a very long time I don't want to wind up unhappy w/ the purchase.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:30:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 5:34:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hot off the email press from FLIR....!! Just got word earlier today, the first several units of the RS64, 1.1 - 9X - 35mm we ordered have shipped today from FLIR. They will be going out to some lucky first customers who ordered these from us.

We have other units shipping to us shortly we're told! Stand-by....

Vic
View Quote

Great news Vic.
Will the lucky customers get an e-mail letting them know?
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 6:59:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

FIXED!

This unit, for less money, seems to have many more positive reviews -- 15,000 mAh Anker
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

FIXED!

I Ihave two of the 15,000mAh Ankers and they are GTG.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:02:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
When using the 64-35mm do you ever find that you are unable to get a target into good focus since the lens is not adjustable?   NO I would think that this would only ever happen at really close ranges but thought I'd ask anyway. 36 ft to Infinity  Also, I know you said you mainly use these at their max FOV setting, but is the whole zoom range fairly clear or does it get super pixelated at higher magnifications? Over 6X is pixelated.  This will be my only thermal for a very long time I don't want to wind up unhappy w/ the purchase. You won't be, plus it is less than 1/2 the price of my T-70s......
View Quote

Here is some info on how close up the non-adjustable objective lens will operate:

15.5 feet for the 19mm lenses (Hyperfcocal distance is 31 feet) to infinity

36.5 feet for the 35mm lenses (Hyperfocal distance is 73 feet) to infinity

From WiKiPedia -> The hyperfocal distance is the closest distance at which a lens can be focused while keeping objects at infinity acceptably sharp. When the lens is focused at this distance, all objects at distances from half of the hyperfocal distance out to infinity will be acceptably sharp.

Did not get info on the 60mm but it would be longer...but the objective is focusable to close-in on closer objects.

Also, parallax is a 100% non-issue with these instruments!
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 7:03:21 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Hot off the email press from FLIR....!! Just got word earlier today, the first several units of the RS64, 1.1 - 9X - 35mm we ordered have shipped today from FLIR. They will be going out to some lucky first customers who ordered these from us.

We have other units shipping to us shortly we're told! Stand-by....

Vic
View Quote

Mine is arriving by Fed-X today!

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 9:16:08 AM EDT
[#29]
awesome.  looking forward to more videos and reports from some of the first users.  

when I was an aerospace engineer (now retired), I worked on some of the original thermal applications, and helped with the development of the technology for the end user (USAF) the past 20 years or so.  I always said from the get-go that I'd like to have a unit mounted on my M4 for busting coyotes day or night, and it looks like we are there.  

good stuff
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 10:28:26 AM EDT
[#31]
At my place, it would be a stray coyote taking my thermal.....
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
At my place, it would be a stray coyote taking my thermal.....
View Quote

In your case, it would be a matter of self preservation for them...  
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#33]
SkyPup, do you have the pinout of the USB/video out connector on the RS? If so I need the info to make a custom cable.

Fingers crossed on getting mine soon.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#34]
I do not have the pin out of the miniUSB cable at this time (but I can get it in another week or so from an engineer), but it does already come with a RCA cable attached to it.

All my FLIR GS military thermal units have a proprietary mil-spec adapter to the instrument that ends in a BNC female connector on the other end requiring the use of a female BNC to female RCA adapter to hook up to the DVR for video recording.

I'll write them about this now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:03:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I do not have the pin out of the miniUSB cable at this time (but I can get it in another week or so from an engineer), but it does already come with a RCA cable attached to it.

All my FLIR GS military thermal units have a proprietary mil-spec adapter to the instrument that ends in a BNC female connector on the other end requiring the use of a female BNC to female RCA adapter to hook up to the DVR for video recording.

View Quote

You lost me (i'll google the acronyms later of course), is there a link list or photo of the parts required to mate the FLIR and the DVR kits?
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#36]
To hook an RCA Composite Video cable together with two male connectors, one from the thermal camera and the the other to the mini DVR recording device, you will need this female to female RCA adapter:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product/29507
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 1:17:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

You lost me (i'll google the acronyms later of course), is there a link list or photo of the parts required to mate the FLIR and the DVR kits?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like it is a single conductor.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 5:10:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Let The Good Times Roll.

RS64-35mm

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#39]

It came with a free M18
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 5:19:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 5:20:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 5:34:55 PM EDT
[#42]

Party on Garth.

I am setting aside a few hours this weekend to watch thermal videos.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 1:33:15 PM EDT
[#43]
my rs64 35mm will be here at lunch time tomorrow, hopefully this weekend is a good one
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
my rs64 35mm will be here at lunch time tomorrow, hopefully this weekend is a good one
View Quote

Who did you buy from?
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 10:52:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Weather is clearing out here this weekend so will get some video though the RS64-35mm instrument after I zero it in, hopefully some kills too.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Kenzies Optics. Matched the lowest price I could find online and shipped it yesterday, I just unpacked it. That said it was their only one
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#47]
My Christensen CA-10 is still at Christensen getting fixed sooooo I threw it on a ps90 and its almost the size of the gun. It feels like it should do the job, its outer case is rubber if anyone was wondering. My only thermal experience is fondeling a low end atn unit at the local gun store so im not much of a comparison candidate but if anyone is in charlotte nc and wants to come shoot I have 100 acres ready to roll
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Kenzies Optics. Matched the lowest price I could find online and shipped it yesterday, I just unpacked it. That said it was their only one
View Quote

Please give us a review when you have time, I have the same one on order from TNVC.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 7:31:00 PM EDT
[#49]
FLIR RS64-35mm in my backyard tonight, absolute pitch dark out, drizzling rain, 42*F, worst possible conditions for thermal or any other NV equipment.

Six dogs came in to FoxPro Prairie Blaster playing Bay Bee Cottontail for less than ten minutes.

Dogs appeared out in deep woods 300+ yards out when I first picked them up, tree line is 225 yards, shot at closest dog @ 200 yards.

Only cowitnessed the RS64-35mm with my DBAL-D2 visible green laser at 50 yards when I got home before dark, apparently I need to rezero again at 200 yards as the shot went over him, however one connected with him at 225 yard, will look for him tomorrow when the bad weather clears out....

These images are compressed for the web, will upload video to You-Tube later....will rezero at 200 yards first thing tomorrow morning before the hogs show up.

Pictures and videos should be much crisper and clearer tomorrow as the bad low pressure storm is passing over and high pressure is moving in.
Link Posted: 3/7/2014 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Looking forward to the vid. I feel the NEED for FLIR.

Come.

On.

Vic.

My impatient fingers -> tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap ...

Going to pull and view the SD card from my feeder cam tomorrow while working on my lease, then ease down there right before dark with the 14 and SPR w/dbal-i2. Almost snake boot time, need to dig them out of the closet.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top