Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 15
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:39:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#2]
The software drivers for the core microbolometer are completely different between a scientific/industrial grade thermal camera and a thermal weapon scope, there really is little to no comparison, the output files are not compatible either.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 4:34:22 PM EDT
[#3]
What video recorder are you folks getting/using for your R-Series ThermoSight?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 9:33:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 7:28:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Woot! Finally got my FLIR cable today. I'm using the Ultimate Night Vision MDVR.
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Their heavy duty cable for the FLIR RS is first class!
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#8]
IMHO, the UNV MDVR is one of the easiest to use, best thought out, lightweight mini video DVRs out there, bar none.

Everything about it is easy to use and if you are not real familiar with operating digital video equipment, this kit is kind of a Digital Thermal DVR for dummies. Not that you have be dumb to use it, but if your computer video experience is minimalistic, it is all you will ever need to get the job done taking excellent thermal videos from the FLIR-RS series thermal weapon scopes, as well as other thermal devices.

It is also not very expensive for the total package kit you get, basically it is a very good deal for the price with great service too.

The video cables in particular are very heavy duty and excellent. This is one of the main hassles getting a good DVR setup is crappy cheap cables and/or connectors, the MDVR is well thought out and has basically everything that you will need to immediately record thermal videos from your FLIR RS scope in 720X480 dpi color and/or B/W at 30 fps. The remote is a good addition many other devices do not offer and saves the battery from being in standby mode all the time, it instantly turns the unit on in Record Mode.

The only thing it lacks is waterproofing, the only totally waterproof mini DVR that I am aware of is the SPI Mini-DVR, if you need waterproofing, you need the SPI DVR.

I have four of the SPI Mini DVRs and one of the MDVRs and will be getting another MDVR in the future, it is perfect for the RS scopes...

Here is the SPI DVR on one of my FLIR T-70s:

Link Posted: 6/6/2014 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#9]
ETA: on second thought, I'll make my own cable. Dang EE degree was pretty expensive, might as well put it to use.

ETA2: got my DIY cable working. Found a small camo pouch to hold the MDVR and had the wifey sew on some velcro so I can stick it to the buttstock. I put the MDVR in the UNV case, plug in the vid and switch, and slide it into the pouch. Some velcro to hold the switch on the fore end, some ty wraps and tape on the wires, and RPTV (ramblin's pig TV) is on-the-air.
Off to the hot muggy farmland of mid-GA to try and make a snuff movie tonight. Last couple hunts, everybody has got one but me. To be fair, we had some kids out and let them have the shots. Tonight its finally my turn.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 1:50:23 PM EDT
[#11]
My home-made MDVR cable works well with my RS64, but I did order the UNV cable from Tyler anyway. It was hard for these old eyes to solder the tiny connector, even under a magnifier, so my cable isn't going to be as rugged or as waterproof. If Skypup likes it, I know I will, too.

The FLIR cable is too short for my needs (I put the MDVR in a pouch velcroed to the buttstock), and I did not want to cut and splice it. I'm hard on gear, and already ripped the little rubber thing off the mounting tab. Oops.

Ideally, I'd like to put the recorder in the buttstock compartment of a GI stock on my DPMS .308, and run the cable out of a grommeted hole to the scope. That would be tits! Plus it would be waterproof. Hmmm, where's my Dremel....

Link Posted: 6/9/2014 2:00:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Video cables and darkness don't jive, especially when intense hunting activity is going down.....

I had a pack of six coyotes charge me to Bay Bee Cottontail on my FoxPro Prairie Blaster after I had carefully setup the entire video recording process when I first saw them all approaching from >350 yards out in the forest, once they hit 100 yards it was gang busters right straight at me, all six of them. In the resulting mayhem I managed to kill two of them and ripped my video cables out and destroyed the connectors in the process, leaving me with no video, but at least a nice pic of two dead dogs...

Heavy duty video cables are our friend in the dark.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 1:33:12 PM EDT
[#13]
FLIR is currently working on a sub-pixel zeroing firmware upgrade to the RS series scopes that is a major improvement in accuracy above and beyond what is currently available. I will post link to the upgrade when it is soon finalized....
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:29:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
FLIR is currently working on a sub-pixel zeroing firmware upgrade to the RS series scopes that is a major improvement in accuracy above and beyond what is currently available. I will post link to the upgrade when it is soon finalized....
View Quote

Will we get multiple scope zero settings in this upgrade?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Next firmware upgrade will be to improve image quality.

Another is going to be multiple reticule zero presets.

Certain upgrades have to be performed first in order for others to be enhanced later on down the line.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 4:40:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Those are two big upgrades for sure, the multiple reticule zero is like having several thermal scopes almost to the point of clip on. Just move to whichever rifle you need that night. I really felt the current THOR had a big advantage there but looks like flir will close that door soon.

After that I would like a firmware upgrade that would make the LCD screen look like a 50" big screen TV
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:57:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Video cables and darkness don't jive, especially when intense hunting activity is going down.....

I had a pack of six coyotes charge me to Bay Bee Cottontail on my FoxPro Prairie Blaster after I had carefully setup the entire video recording process when I first saw them all approaching from >350 yards out in the forest, once they hit 100 yards it was gang busters right straight at me, all six of them. In the resulting mayhem I managed to kill two of them and ripped my video cables out and destroyed the connectors in the process, leaving me with no video, but at least a nice pic of two dead dogs...

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/T70%20Female%20275%20Yards/Double%20B.jpg

http://www.phossil.com/thom/Night%20Vision/FLIR%20T70/T70%20Female%20275%20Yards/Double%20A.jpg

Heavy duty video cables are our friend in the dark.....
View Quote

What did I say.... One to shoot.... One to video..... I'll be there!!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#18]
For the folks that have their video cable...any chance you can post more videos from your RS scopes...'specially the RS32 models.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#19]
The masses demand more RS32 videos
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#20]
I asked the same question earlier this week on the predator masters forum.. and got.. crickets...
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I asked the same question earlier this week on the predator masters forum.. and got.. crickets...
View Quote

My RS64 should be coming back soon (loaned it out to a friend in AK for wolf hunting), but I'm assuming you've seen enough from the RS64 and really want RS32?
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 1:26:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 3:49:49 PM EDT
[#23]
TheHorta:  Ha ha, yes!  Seems like every time someone asks about the RS32 someone comes back with more pics and videos of the RS64.. Your friend have any luck with the wolves?

UNV:  Thanks, looking forward to it.. if I don't make up my mind by Christmas I'll be your way.. father-in-law lives in Shady Shores..
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 3:20:34 PM EDT
[#24]
There is a new accuracy improvement update to download for the FLIR RS scope available on the FLIR Personal Systems Resource site, the new MOA table is included in the download in a Microsoft Word file....

http://www.flir.com/cvs/americas/en/personalvision/view/?id=53129
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 5:06:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There is a new accuracy improvement update to download for the FLIR RS scope available on the FLIR Personal Systems Resource site, the new MOA table is included in the download in a Microsoft Word file....

View Quote

Boy does my luck stink.
I downloaded the update, started the FLIR user tool and connected my RS64. It went in to bulk mode and sucessfully read the scope info. When I went to upload the new software it was going OK then failed. I tried to redo the upload but now it will not see the scope.

Worst of all the scope software was wiped, all I get at start up on the scope is a blank white screen. I've tried several times to restart the scope and get it into upload mode but it does not see the scope.
I leave this Saturday to Arizona where I was going to use this and now I'm dead in the water.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 5:18:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Boy does my luck stink.
I downloaded the update, started the FLIR user tool and connected my RS64. It went in to bulk mode and sucessfully read the scope info. When I went to upload the new software it was going OK then failed. I tried to redo the upload but now it will not see the scope.

Worst of all the scope software was wiped, all I get at start up on the scope is a blank white screen. I've tried several times to restart the scope and get it into upload mode but it does not see the scope.
I leave this Saturday to Arizona where I was going to use this and now I'm dead in the water.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boy does my luck stink.

Well that sucks, but there may be hope. According to rumor, SkyPup either works for or owns FLIR. He can have one choppered in to you by sunrise.  

P.S. -- IM Sent.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Rich, does the GUI read the camera specifications when hooked up to the USB?

Under Camera Info, can you read the serial numbers. etc.?

You need to let it connect for a minute or so before and after to make sure the USB connection is completed before you load the DFU file....

Make sure that the camera specs are readable before you try to install the DFU file.

I did that to my RS64 before and just installed the DFU file again and everything was fine.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Same here.

Does this update affect the existing zero? Anyone tried it yet?
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:43:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Perhaps FLIR should pull this update until they confirm whether this will turn into more of a problem?
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Rich, does the GUI read the camera specifications when hooked up to the USB?

Under Camera Info, can you read the serial numbers. etc.?

You need to let it connect for a minute or so before and after to make sure the USB connection is completed before you load the DFU file....

Make sure that the camera specs are readable before you try to install the DFU file.

I did that to my RS64 before and just installed the DFU file again and everything was fine.
View Quote

The GUI connected to the scope and read & populated the scope data fields. I then went to the SW upgrade tab and that went OK until I got an error message saying the up load failed.
The GUI then could not see the scope as being attached. the scope software must have been wiped since it only boots up with a white screen.

I have talked to two FLIR reps/techs in California and they are working on a solution. Hopefully this can be fixed without going back to FLIR.
I'll update as I hear more from FLIR, they have been great so far.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Hmmm. Have you tried charging the scope for a while, re-downloading/extracting the file (just in case, prob not needed), and re-trying?

Mine loaded and runs the update fine. I'd just like to know if it affected my zero... guess I'll be going to the range soon to find out, before my next hunting trip.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Update
The FLIR rep called back and it looks like it will be going back to FLIR for a fix. They were willing to over night me a replacement but after checking don't have one available.

One possible cause for the failure was that the GUI drivers did not download correctly or fast enough to allow the upload after the scope software was wiped. That is just a guess from the FLIR tech, apparently that happened to him the first time he did an update on an RS scope.

Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:19:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Hmmm. Have you tried charging the scope for a while, re-downloading/extracting the file (just in case, prob not needed), and re-trying?

Mine loaded and runs the update fine. I'd just like to know if it affected my zero... guess I'll be going to the range soon to find out, before my next hunting trip.
View Quote

The scope is fully charged. The problem is the software is gone from the scope and the FLIR GUI does not see the scope attached to the PC. My PC does see new hardware at the usb port when I plug in the scope it just wont talk to the GUI. The FLIR rep does not think it is fixable via the FLIR GUI interface.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:48:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Rich, I sent you an email with a direct line to the Senior Software Engineer who designed the upgrade, please give him a personal call ASAP....

Works for everyone else, but you have to let the USB drivers fully load and that takes some time....
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 7:54:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Same here.

View Quote

The zero adjustment resolution is now to sub-pixel values making it inherently more accurate, see the attached Microsoft Word file included with the DFU upgrade file explaining the zero adjustments for each of the different RS series scopes.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 8:27:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Rich, I sent you an email with a direct line to the Senior Software Engineer who designed the upgrade, please give him a personal call ASAP....

Works for everyone else, but you have to let the USB drivers fully load and that takes some time....
View Quote

Thanks Thom, I sent you a reply.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The zero adjustment resolution is now to sub-pixel values making it inherently more accurate, see the attached Microsoft Word file included with the DFU upgrade file explaining the zero adjustments for each of the different RS series scopes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same here.

Thanks, but this does not answer my question at all. I read the doc.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same here.

I would rezero using the MOA info in the doc.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#39]

So you don't know. Got it. I'll go to the range and find out.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 11:33:42 PM EDT
[#40]
You will find out!
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Update:

I sent my scope to FLIR's CA facility yesterday using their RMA FedEx overnight shipping label. They received it today at 11:15  and called me at 1:00 to tell me it is fixed and loaded with the newest software. They offered to send it back overnight tonight for delivery tomorrow. Since I leave for Arizona on Saturday I asked if they could send it to a FedEx center in AZ for me to pick up. They were happy to accommodate and my scope will be waiting for me when I get to Arizona.

The problem was I did not wait long enough for the drivers to load before I clicked the update software button on the FLIR GUI on my PC. This essentially blanked the scope and since the drivers didn't load the GUI failed when it attempted to download to the scope. After rereading the instructions they did warn about this.
Mostly operator error

I am very impressed with how well the FLIR reps responded and how quickly they acted. They get an 11 out of 10 from me for customer service.

A big thanks to Sam, Tom and Jeanie at FLIR!
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:42:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Update:

I sent my scope to FLIR's CA facility yesterday using their RMA FedEx overnight shipping label. They received it today at 11:15  and called me at 1:00 to tell me it is fixed and loaded with the newest software. They offered to send it back overnight tonight for delivery tomorrow. Since I leave for Arizona on Saturday I asked if they could send it to a FedEx center in AZ for me to pick up. They were happy to accommodate and my scope will be waiting for me when I get to Arizona.

The problem was I did not wait long enough for the drivers to load before I clicked the update software button on the FLIR GUI on my PC. This essentially blanked the scope and since the drivers didn't load the GUI failed when it attempted to download to the scope. After rereading the instructions they did warn about this.
Mostly operator error

I am very impressed with how well the FLIR reps responded and how quickly they acted. They get an 11 out of 10 from me for customer service.

View Quote

They have been top notch with any issuse I have had as well (POC Jeanie). I gave them  cc # and they shipped overnight replacement same day, I didn't need to send them the unit before they shipped one to me.
How a company takes care of the customer AFTER the sale says it all !!!!

I have been in the electronics service bussiness 30yrs and the best advice I can give is call the company and act like you have a problem before you buy the product and see if you want to give them your hard earned money after your phone call..
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Update:

Mostly operator error

View Quote

That is awesome!  

I kinda thought it was the USB driver loading problem.... [/img]http://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/anim_beer.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:47:04 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

They have been top notch with any issuse I have had as well (POC Jeanie). I gave them  cc # and they shipped overnight replacement same day, I didn't need to send them the unit before they shipped one to me.

I have been in the electronics service bussiness 30yrs and the best advice I can give is call the company and act like you have a problem before you buy the product and see if you want to give them your hard earned money after your phone call..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update:

Mostly operator error

You should send in Franken Thermal for the latest upgrade and see what they say!!!
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:22:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Be advised this update (1.17.04) will definitely affect your existing zero, requiring a re-zero after upgrading. Confirmed it both on the range and also in conversation with FLIR engineering.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 2:34:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

FLIR salesman of the year, thanks SkyPup.  Decision made.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SkyPup, I'm in the market for a PS-32 - have you heard of anything new from FLIR in this price range?  Should I buy now or wait until spring?

Sir, I cannot tell you anything about any other new models or prices as I am not privy to that information.

What I can tell you is that a PS-32 will easily increase your night hunting experiences by a factor of 10X in a heartbeat if you do not already have one. If you can afford to waste a 1,000% increase in your night hunt success rate, then you can afford to wait forever for something new or something cheaper.

I got my first one when they first came out and it has seen significant hardcore use with zero downtime, it is super simple to use, ergonomic, and the internal battery normally lasts me on an all night hunt, it is a loaner in our group now and everyone wants to have it or get one for themselves since I also have an LS-64 for myself. If I left home on a hunt and forgot to bring it, everyone would be pissed, including me.

If you can find something better and cheaper today or tomorrow, get it.

Same here, going to be a long six weeks to wait for this toy!!! Super excited to try it out.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 1:10:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 1:40:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You will like the unit immensely and YES to NUMEROUS emails I received. (Sorry for the delayed response as I've been OCONUS), THE ENTIRE FLIR RS LINE HAS AUTHENTIC LARUE MOUNTS AND NOTHING ELSE. They do return to zero as long as you remove and replace on the same pic slot.  

I have tested the RS line extensively at 100m and all repeat to well within my 1MOA zero each and every time. Hope this helps.

Vic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
SkyPup, I'm in the market for a PS-32 - have you heard of anything new from FLIR in this price range?  Should I buy now or wait until spring?

Sir, I cannot tell you anything about any other new models or prices as I am not privy to that information.

What I can tell you is that a PS-32 will easily increase your night hunting experiences by a factor of 10X in a heartbeat if you do not already have one. If you can afford to waste a 1,000% increase in your night hunt success rate, then you can afford to wait forever for something new or something cheaper.

I got my first one when they first came out and it has seen significant hardcore use with zero downtime, it is super simple to use, ergonomic, and the internal battery normally lasts me on an all night hunt, it is a loaner in our group now and everyone wants to have it or get one for themselves since I also have an LS-64 for myself. If I left home on a hunt and forgot to bring it, everyone would be pissed, including me.

If you can find something better and cheaper today or tomorrow, get it.

Same here, going to be a long six weeks to wait for this toy!!! Super excited to try it out.

You will like the unit immensely and YES to NUMEROUS emails I received. (Sorry for the delayed response as I've been OCONUS), THE ENTIRE FLIR RS LINE HAS AUTHENTIC LARUE MOUNTS AND NOTHING ELSE. They do return to zero as long as you remove and replace on the same pic slot.  

I have tested the RS line extensively at 100m and all repeat to well within my 1MOA zero each and every time. Hope this helps.

Vic

You don't "machine" your own do you ? Mark will be happy to see these are authentic mounts. Nobody is trying to save a few pennies here.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 10:18:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Tnvc + Larue + Flir = Happy

As a new buyer into night vision/thermal this combo makes it a no brainer. I've looked at all of the options in the past, but to me the optics configurations and compatibility was overwhelming. This was an easy decision.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Tnvc + Larue + Flir = Happy

As a new buyer into night vision/thermal this combo makes it a no brainer. I've looked at all of the options in the past, but to me the optics configurations and compatibility was overwhelming. This was an easy decision.
View Quote

This has been my experience as well.  The FLIR RS64-35 I bought is nothing short of amazing.  Very pleased with the purchase.
Page / 15
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top