Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2012 1:43:54 PM EDT
need a new mount for my pvs 14 to mount behind my day scope and taller rings so i can cycle the bolt on my remington 700p . anyone else run a setup like this?
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, works very well on my custom Thompson Center Contender with Redfield 3-9X-50mm scope:

It is the Night Optics Day Scope Monobloc Adapter.

Fits tight and locks on strong with no movement, pushing the release button instantly snaps the PVS-14 out of the way for day use or just easily remove it by releasing the lock down screws.

http://www.nightoptics-sales.com/proddetail.asp?prod=ADNPVS14NO6015

Link Posted: 7/17/2012 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
What caliber?
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 4:06:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Custom Match Grade Machine barrel in .223 with 1:7" twist so I can shoot the hand loaded heavy OTMs and Barnes 70 grain TSX.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Custom Match Grade Machine barrel in .223 with 1:7" twist so I can shoot the hand loaded heavy OTMs and Barnes 70 grain TSX.

Nice...The day scope adapter that is shown will work well for that.

I have one too.....it's fun.

It doesn't have the rail though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks to fordskickass' inspirational  post here (about 2/3 of the way down the page) and willingness to put up with and answer a bunch of pesky questions, I put together this fairly QD method to mount my PVS14 behind a day optic, in this case a 30mm tube Leupold VXR 3-9X50.  I used a Warne QD 30mm high ring (.525" high), a GG&G MultiFlex PVS 14 mount (#1016), a YHM 1/2" riser and a picatinny M16 carry handle rail to fashion this:

Seems to work great.  However, I do have to remove the J arm in order to use the charging handle.  AR15 is chambered for 300BLK, and is used with subsonics only, so there are some charging issues occasionally, but am attempting to address those with handloading trials and many, many errors, as well as some 5W30 Mobil1.  

MEASUREMENTS
The GG&G mount raises the bottom of the PVS14 about 22.9mm, so it puts the center of the PVS14 at 41.24mm- 41.31 above the picatinny rail.  The 1/2" YHM riser, the .525" Warne ring and half of the VXR's 30mm tube puts the center of the VXR around 41.03mm above the picatinny rail.  So, the two optics' center axis are off by less than .4mm.  I can live with that.  

ZERO
As for shooting, it holds zero and doesn't change POA/ POI from night to day that I can tell at 50 - 100 yards.  Still ringing the 5" steel plate at 200 yards about 6 out of 10 shots with same hold at night, and I can only do 7, maybe 8, out of 10 during the day.  

MAGNIFICATION
I was very pleasantly surprised to be able to clearly see the end of a 55 gallon drum ( i.e. 24" circle) at 400 yards and the 250 lb black bear eating out of it on a no moon, cloudy night with the help of a Streamlight SuperTac at 9x.  I just have to remember to adjust the PVS14's front focus.
Link Posted: 9/12/2012 3:18:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks to fordskickass' inspirational  post here (about 2/3 of the way down the page) and willingness to put up with and answer a bunch of pesky questions, I put together this fairly QD method to mount my PVS14 behind a day optic, in this case a 30mm tube Leupold VXR 3-9X50.  I used a Warne QD 30mm high ring (.525" high), a GG&G MultiFlex PVS 14 mount (#1016), a YHM 1/2" riser and a picatinny M16 carry handle rail to fashion this:

Curious ? 2nd pic
What way does the lever on the GG&G mount move to lock the PVS-14 in place?
If it gets pulled rearward are you at all concerned that you could accidently push it forward/bump it forward at night and drop your PVS and have it get lost in the abyss?

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2012 7:09:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Curious ? 2nd pic
What way does the lever on the GG&G mount move to lock the PVS-14 in place?
If it gets pulled rearward are you at all concerned that you could accidently push it forward/bump it forward at night and drop your PVS and have it get lost in the abyss?

Thanks

In the first pic, the lever is in the open position, meaning that you can insert the grooved male piece into it.  In second and third pics, the lever is locked down.  I'm in the process of figuring out some kind of lanyard clip system to attach to the little key ring when it's on the weapon.  

I started out with the idea of having a way to go from helmet to weapon mounted as fast as possible.  I ended up with a pretty rock solid weapon mount, but, as stated above, in order to use the charging handle, I have to remove the J arm.  Even if that wasn't an issue, I still have to remove J arm from Rhino, then unhook the helmet lanyard and then pop in the GG&G ring to the rail mount.  Unhooking the helmet tether is what takes the longest- the GG&G system is pretty darn quick to get hooked up.  But, I'm not going to run helmet mounted without a lanyard.

If I were doing this with a scope with a 1 inch tube, the project would've been easier on the wallet.  The 30mm Warne only comes in pairs and ran me $80.  Of course I already had a couple of sets of the Warne QD 1 inch rings laying around.  The math on getting the center axis of both optics to line up on a 1 inch scope doesn't work out as well as it did for the 30mm.  Best I've been able to come up with is using the YHM 1/2 riser, the same GG&G mount, and a Warne QD Extra high ring with a height of .65 (instead of the .525" high).  That puts the centers .6mm off from each other on the 1 inch scope vs. .2mm off for the 30mm scope.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 5:46:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
need a new mount for my pvs 14 to mount behind my day scope and taller rings so i can cycle the bolt on my remington 700p . anyone else run a setup like this?

Back in 2010 I did this modification with my Marlin XL-7

Worked like a charm.

http://3gn.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=18&t=314427

Hope this helps,

BB

Link Posted: 9/25/2012 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#9]
ncorry an LAR side charging receiver would solve your charging issues.  Does the Leupold have a night vision setting?   I do like your setup and might try it out to see how it will work with my smaller scope.  The only problem is I would end up needing to pick up another pvs14.
Link Posted: 9/25/2012 1:58:13 PM EDT
[#10]
THe Leupy doesn't have a night setting, but with the IR filter and the lower settings, it works great.  As for the LAR, I've been looking at them, and trying to find one locally that I can put hands on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top