Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2011 7:42:59 AM EDT
Once in a while, it's nice just to look up with your NV gear and see what you can see. Even in the city, stars not previously visible will open up to you.

Here's some images taken with image intensifiers this evening.

Since I was asked about Orion near the horizon recently, here's Orion near my eastern horizon with the glow from the city causing a lot of light pollution. It's about 10 degrees off the horizon here.

Any other images from other posters? Grab your cameras and your NV gear and head out to take some nice shots ! :)

David

Link Posted: 4/1/2011 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Here's a nice pic of the Southern Cross - Something near to the hearts of all Australians... OK, well, a few light years near. Again, taken in the city with light pollution but it was a nice clear night.

On a good clear night in the city, you can see the main five stars with your eyes. On a nice night with NV, you see so much more.

Image taken with a 170mm cat lens and a 25mm tube.
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 7:53:04 AM EDT
[#2]
my God, it's full of stars...
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 9:22:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Very nice ! 170mm scope ?
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 9:57:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I can't play along, but keep them coming.
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The first time I ever put a Gen 3 NOD up to my eye and looked at the sky I almost fell over. So many more stars you can see with night vision. When they say billions of stars they are not kidding. The sky is just filled with them. Felt like a little kid seeing something for the first time. That is truly what really got me into really liking night vision. Been hooked ever since.
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 10:18:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I was on AT in Canada end of Feb. Our Arctic tents were up and we weren't really doing anything. Stepped outside to play with my PVS-14. Completely clear sky, not a cloud. I couldn't believe how many stars were out there. There were so many I couldn't ID specific constellations under NV.
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first time I ever put a Gen 3 NOD up to my eye and looked at the sky I almost fell over. So many more stars you can see with night vision. When they say billions of stars they are not kidding. The sky is just filled with them. Felt like a little kid seeing something for the first time. That is truly what really got me into really liking night vision. Been hooked ever since.

I know the feeling. I had a MUM Gen 3 a couple years ago, which was definitely cool, and performed better than my issued PVS-7, but I had to sell it off since I couldn't justify the cost versus the limited use I gave it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 10:40:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 4:47:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have to agree with that. I'm already fortunate to not have much in the way of contamination in my area (Live way out in the country) so I already have a very nice show. Withs NOD's.....Its just incredible.
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 8:48:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have to agree with that. I'm already fortunate to not have much in the way of contamination in my area (Live way out in the country) so I already have a very nice show. Withs NOD's.....Its just incredible.

+1
Link Posted: 4/1/2011 8:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Amaizing! I just took my PVS outside, never thought to look up. NV is new to me so I don't really know whats good or bad, just read enough here to see I wanted gen 3 NV. I read posts here from you guys every day to learn and get ideas for my new toy. I'm starting to realize I need a few of those ass. like a camera adapter. Any more ideas would be great, keep them coming. And for you guys that know about NV, thanks for posting and teaching us noobs a few things.
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 3:35:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Anybody ever see any ufo's? I have!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 6:11:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Had my mom outside with me, shes looking thru it then says omg theres something moving. I tell her its a plane.

Link Posted: 4/2/2011 7:10:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Seen a few odd things..Im not saying its little green men, but odd. You will see more satellites and stuff moving just after the sun goes down and its dark enough to turn on the scope.
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Ya I see satelites all the time with my pvs14 so I know how they move, one night I witnessed something that sure as hell wasn't a satelite and I am still puzzled to this day!! All I can say is there are some things you just can't explain!! I have never seen anything like it since but i'm also not star gazing every night I tend to use my pvs14 for more practical use's although I have to admit it is fun!!!
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#16]
There must be hundreds of stars up there!
Link Posted: 4/9/2011 2:35:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Here's a comparitive shot... One with light pollution, one without.

Link Posted: 4/9/2011 7:11:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Here's a comparitive shot... One with light pollution, one without.

Wow! Great shots. Thank you for posting these photos.
Link Posted: 4/9/2011 7:16:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Big difference ! Southern cross again ?
Link Posted: 4/9/2011 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Big difference ! Southern cross again ?

Well I could make up some excuse about needing to be the same for comparison...

But if you think it through, the southern cross is the ONLY constellation most Australian's know. We actually use it innately to navigate back home at night from the pub to our bed, even when we're too plastered to read signs ( or understand them ).

But the good-old southern cross always points the way home.

Sooner or later...

David.
Link Posted: 4/9/2011 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#21]
I will take some tonight or in a few days. Used the PVS-14 for the first time since it has been warm out the other night and I look up at the stars and see what at first I thought was some sort of meteor shower, then some of these meteors look close, then I realize it is Moths up above that I am fascinated with haha.
Link Posted: 4/9/2011 6:23:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yup....I always take it on outings with my Scouts.....everybody thinks its a cool toy......then I say look up......

The jaw drops open right there.....and they just stare......

too cool....
Link Posted: 4/9/2011 6:27:33 PM EDT
[#23]
when is the next meteor shower?
Link Posted: 4/10/2011 1:41:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If I remember right August is suppose to have alot of meteor showers.

Link Posted: 4/10/2011 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I remember right August is suppose to have alot of meteor showers.

Someone should post up a reminder in this forum to remind some of us so we dont forget!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top