Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 145
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:00:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#1]
It does when you're three hours behind me and take every minute of it to get back to me.  

The longest part of the process was getting up the gumption to drop $150 on patches of all things.  

@SOT_Solutions -

I think you're misunderstanding the level of OCD I was referring to--I wasn't talking about trying to match Multicam patches to Multicam gear--I was talking about trying to get the patterns and major "forms" and colorways to line up when applying the patches.  

Photograph of the current "stable," for accidental page ownage (ownership?) and to prove that I use the "delicate" AVS-6 by choice, not because I lack other options.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:33:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Augee:
It does when you're three hours behind me and take every minute of it to get back to me.  

The longest part of the process was getting up the gumption to drop $150 on patches of all things.  

@SOT_Solutions -

I think you're misunderstanding the level of OCD I was referring to--I wasn't talking about trying to match Multicam patches to Multicam gear--I was talking about trying to get the patterns and major "forms" and colorways to line up when applying the patches.  

~Augee
View Quote
I got you right the first time. If you asked if I had ever done that with woodland then I would have to plead guilty. These days I don't spend the time.

Crazy starts when you send the patch back to the vendor because the pattern does not align with your gear. I have seen people ask a vendor for photos of Multicam gear so they could tell whether it would align with a pack. When you start thinking that everyone else needs to contribute to your OCD then that is bonafide neurosis. If you are just tinkering with your gear and minding your own business then that is just quirky.

END DERAIL
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]

@SOT_Solutions -

Photograph of the current "stable," for accidental page ownage (ownership?) and to prove that I use the "delicate" AVS-6 by choice, not because I lack other options.  

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/AUGEE_HELMET_STABLE_zps20yscgb7.jpg

~Augee
View Quote
We were so close to those being AZ flags instead of WV flags.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:27:40 PM EDT
[#4]

@SOT_Solutions -

http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff502/augeekim/AUGEE_HELMET_STABLE_zps20yscgb7.jpg

~Augee
View Quote
I NEED some of those IR flying WV patches. Also, where are you in WV Augee? I'm around Charleston and always looking for more people around here with NODs to go play in the dark. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:18:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rebelcovehunter] [#5]
Augee, where did you get your IR flying WV patch?

I just got these in for my helmet and PC (hope to have pics of it here in a couple weeks) but they were on the expensive side, but saying that, what isn't expensive when you get into custom IR patches.

Attachment Attached File

@SOT_Solutions -

~Augee
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:56:58 PM EDT
[#6]
@vanrichten

@rebelcovehunter

I'm in the Morgantown-area, so I'm a little ways from you.

Re: the Flying WV patches, I got them made by a source that MrPlayer hooked me up with.  

I don't want to run afoul of advertising or group buy rules, but if you shoot me a PM, I think we can get a couple of fellow Mountaineers hooked up.

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 12:25:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Just when I feel like I'm getting ahead...you bastards make me realize I've got a long road ahead.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:08:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By vanrichten:
I NEED some of those IR flying WV patches. Also, where are you in WV Augee? I'm around Charleston and always looking for more people around here with NODs to go play in the dark. 
View Quote
@vanrichten

If I may be so bold, I'd be willing to make the drive from PWC, VA to come play with you in the dark..

Need to 5320.20 my SBR..
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Firefighter503:

@vanrichten

If I may be so bold, I'd be willing to make the drive from PWC, VA to come play with you in the dark..

Need to 5320.20 my SBR..
View Quote
@Firefighter503 If I can find a place to actually do some night shooting I would love to do an ARF NODs shoot!
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By vanrichten:
@Firefighter503 If I can find a place to actually do some night shooting I would love to do an ARF NODs shoot!
View Quote
There is such thing as an ARF NODs shoot. It's just got some running, jumping, eating, field stripping, and more running before you actually get to shoot.

And it sucks.

And you will die, but only for a little while.

And you will figure out where you need to improve.

And you will do better next time.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:40:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By awptickes:

There is such thing as an ARF NODs shoot. It's just got some running, jumping, eating, field stripping, and more running before you actually get to shoot.

And it sucks.

View Quote
Yeah I'm hoping to make CWE in the fall! I don't have FB though (I hear there is more talk of dates/place there then here) so I'm hoping to make it as a vets guest.
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 9:24:52 PM EDT
[#12]
as a hurricane we resident and die hard mountaineer, I've got to have one or five of these!
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:09:21 PM EDT
[#13]
What's a good strobe that won't break the bank?

Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:24:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TCBA_Joe] [#14]
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 1:30:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By emtothedee:

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg607/emtothedee/My%20Baby/B34FEACE-8E22-4F98-B99C-62CB9C7F7AAB.jpg
View Quote
I went with an S&S Precision Manta Strobe, but I've thought about picking up a couple of their V-lites to try out as well. It's a little cheaper and lower profile.
Link Posted: 4/23/2017 5:36:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#16]
Originally Posted By emtothedee:

http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg607/emtothedee/My%20Baby/B34FEACE-8E22-4F98-B99C-62CB9C7F7AAB.jpg
View Quote
https://tnvc.com/shop/phoenix-jr-infrared-beacon/

Mount

https://tnvc.com/shop/poseidon-clip-mount/

I rolled my own though, with Velcro and camo stretch material. Could have just put Velcro directly on 9 volt battery.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 3:20:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Attachment Attached File
Added tactical phallus this weekend.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TechOps:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/361596/IMG-6610-194438.JPGAdded tactical phallus this weekend.
View Quote
I ordered one like 4 weeks ago maybe some day it will ship.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By RePp:

View Quote
Bummer..mine was black multicam--so I'm sure maybe they're in lesser demand.
It showed up very quickly.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RePp:

View Quote
What color/pattern did you order yours in? I ordered mine in multicam about a week and a half ago and it arrived on Friday.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:25:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey fellas, I'm only posting here because I actually have a helmet pic to augment my question. Here's my MICH with a Wilcox mount (P/N 28300G05B). What do I need to connect to a J-arm? Is the part still available? If not, any recommendations for a new mount/shroud?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 10:42:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Will816:
Hey fellas, I'm only posting here because I actually have a helmet pic to augment my question. Here's my MICH with a Wilcox mount (P/N 28300G05B). What do I need to connect to a J-arm? Is the part still available? If not, any recommendations for a new mount/shroud?
View Quote
You need a type-specific Wilcox arm that will probably wind up being a dovetail design. That is an older, proprietary design and it puts you in a corner - but it is a good corner. The Wilcox arms are good arms. If someone else does not chime about the exact arm you need then bump me and I'll try to find it. I don't know it off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 11:09:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Augee] [#23]
Originally Posted By Will816:
View Quote
You need the G01 arm.  It is discontinued by Wilcox, but Wilcox will still service them.  Several are available on eBay currently (one example):

I don't know why I'm not able to post an eBay link right now... but if you search "wilcox mount," this is the part you want:

The G01 is designed to be used with a dovetail interface, not a J-Arm, so your choices are either to switch to a dovetail arm (my recommendation), or you can purchase a dovetail to bayonet adapter that will allow you to use your J-Arm with a dovetail mount:

https://tnvc.com/shop/wilcox-nvg-interface-shoe-for-anpvs-7b7d/

At the same time, while the L2 pattern mounts that you have there are great mounts, and quite similar to the now very popular L4 G24, they can be kind of annoying if you have more than one helmet, as they are mostly designed to be fixed mounts.  If you only have one helmet and never plan to move/swap the NVG mount, then simply getting the right arm for it should largely be a non-issue, but if you ever think you'll want to swap helmets/mounts and/or remove the mount when not in use, then it might be worthwhile to go ahead and invest in a mount and shroud with a universal interface (L4), rather than spending more money trying to get this one to work.

Plus, you may be able to re-coup some money selling the L2 base to an airsofter to put towards a new mount/shroud, because Navy SEALs used to use them , before their use was largely discontinued, in some part because of the issues I already pointed out...

~Augee
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:57:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks to both^^. Augee, you're always a source of prime info

I actually did get this from a SEAL. I hadn't thought about switching between helmets, that might be handy. I've got an Ops Core bump helmet, so maybe I'll offload this Wilcox mount and get a Ops VAS shroud for the MICH
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 12:08:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Coolest patch on here!
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:25:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Now that I am in the game, we need more NightCap pics in this thread. I will post mine soon but I am still getting things set up.

Anybody ever paint their Rhino II? I have one of the gray ones and find it to be kind of fugly. Would prefer a flat black or camo.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By westernhaikus1:
Now that I am in the game, we need more NightCap pics in this thread. I will post mine soon but I am still getting things set up.

Anybody ever paint their Rhino II? I have one of the gray ones and find it to be kind of fugly. Would prefer a flat black or camo.
View Quote
I have painted the Rhino II before using rustoleum camo and it was just fine.  Looks a lot better than the grey color too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:38:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Smooth_Oper8or:

I have painted the Rhino II before using rustoleum camo and it was just fine.  Looks a lot better than the grey color too.
View Quote
Did you disassemble anything first? Any tips would be appreciated as I haven't painted any gear before.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Did you disassemble anything first? Any tips would be appreciated as I haven't painted any gear before.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

For me, all the things get painted including the Rhino 2.  The gray wasn't doing it for me either.  I did a couple layers of rattle can OD green two or three years ago and it has held really well.  I keep meaning to do some tan on it to break it up a little bit but don't think I have any at the moment.  I did not disassemble it, just taped over the bayonet interface and did it up.  All the adjustments on mine still work perfectly smooth after at least two layers of paint, in case that is your concern.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 3:35:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By fordkicksass:

For me, all the things get painted including the Rhino 2.  The gray wasn't doing it for me either.  I did a couple layers of rattle can OD green two or three years ago and it has held really well.  I keep meaning to do some tan on it to break it up a little bit but don't think I have any at the moment.  I did not disassemble it, just taped over the bayonet interface and did it up.  All the adjustments on mine still work perfectly smooth after at least two layers of paint, in case that is your concern.
View Quote
Yeah that's mostly what I was thinking. Good deal! Off to get some Rustoleum......
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:14:28 PM EDT
[#31]
quick question, I'm sure this is a good place to ask.

does the s&S manta have ir strobe, white light, AND IR constant modes? or just ir strobe and white constant?
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 12:17:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#32]
Originally Posted By CT-Shooter:
quick question, I'm sure this is a good place to ask.

does the s&S manta have ir strobe, white light, AND IR constant modes? or just ir strobe and white constant?
View Quote
Mine is green strobe/IR strobe. No constant.

ETA: there are multiple versions.

https://www.sandsprecision.com/manta-strobe-156.html
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:19:19 AM EDT
[#33]
My helmet and nods.

Link Posted: 5/4/2017 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes

Nope I just sprayed that shit down real quick, and it's held up just fine.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes

Nope I just sprayed that shit down real quick, and it's held up just fine.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:24:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Just got the Wilcox mount and it is glorious. The dovetail system is so much better than the old J-Arm/Rhino mount setup I had.

Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By RTBA-8:
Just got the Wilcox mount and it is glorious. The dovetail system is so much better than the old J-Arm/Rhino mount setup I had.

http://i1025.photobucket.com/albums/y316/righttobeararms8/Gun%20Pics/20170505_092416_zpsbwmmqyvx.jpg
View Quote
I will take a glorious poop in this helmet one day.

Use your stuff man. It's too new.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:08:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RTBA-8] [#38]
Originally Posted By SxPxDx:

I will take a glorious poop in this helmet one day.

Use your stuff man. It's too new.
View Quote
Try to make sure it's solid at least please. I'll be using it soon, bring yours and we'll shoot some pigs on the new property.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:48:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Yeah I'm hoping to make CWE in the fall! I don't have FB though (I hear there is more talk of dates/place there then here) so I'm hoping to make it as a vets guest.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By awptickes:

And it sucks.

CWE was the first time I ever actually used my nods/IR lasers/lights outside of just looking at the stars and dicking around. It was great to field my gear and see the strengths and weaknesses of it. I was fortunate enough to rule the field of misery for that event but at CWSE, my PEQ-15 was off and I fired 60rnds of 556, only hitting maybe 4-5 targets. I also had issues with my PVS-14 losing focus for an unknown reason. That was a humbling experience and a true showcase of the possibilities of mishaps and gear failures in the field.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By K2enemy:
CWE was the first time I ever actually used my nods/IR lasers/lights outside of just looking at the stars and dicking around. It was great to field my gear and see the strengths and weaknesses of it. I was fortunate enough to rule the field of misery for that event but at CWSE, my PEQ-15 was off and I fired 60rnds of 556, only hitting maybe 4-5 targets. I also had issues with my PVS-14 losing focus for an unknown reason. That was a humbling experience and a true showcase of the possibilities of mishaps and gear failures in the field.
View Quote
I always wanted to go to a CW event. I heard there may be one in Ohio soon??
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:22:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:55:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Main Items
------
Team Wendy bump helmet (I know I know)
Dual PVS-14
COTI
Comtac III's
Hel Star 6
Inforce WML

Waiting on my TNVC Mohawk for a better counter weight + securing the Hel Star...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/11/2017 11:42:26 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By yetti78:
Main Items
------
Team Wendy bump helmet (I know I know)
Dual PVS-14
COTI
Comtac III's
Hel Star 6
Inforce WML

Waiting on my TNVC Mohawk for a better counter weight + securing the Hel Star...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/201531/IMG-5936-206041.JPG
View Quote
Looks real good. Super jealous of the COTI. How do you like the WML and does it interfere with the comtacs at all? Considering going a similar route. I'm assuming you have it connected with a mini tiny from TW?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Sogan:

Looks real good. Super jealous of the COTI. How do you like the WML and does it interfere with the comtacs at all? Considering going a similar route. I'm assuming you have it connected with a mini tiny from TW?
View Quote
The WML is works really nicely. I actually have it kinda hooptie rigged; the Picatinny rail piece is just screwed in on the forward screwhole and the WML is on that. As rigged it doesn't mess with the Comtacs and you can actually move/angle the WML up and down to adjust where the beam aims.

I'll edit this and add a pic when I get home.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 5:36:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Can i see some better pics of your retention setup?
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Wilcox dual pvs-14 bridge on G24 mount.

I have OpsCore carabiner bungees hooked to zip ties on the folding bridge arms.  Lanyard is attached to the main bridge.  I can still detach/attach the individual tubes without having to undo the bungee cords.  

Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:21:47 PM EDT
[#47]
WML mount detail on Team Wendy bump.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:30:03 PM EDT
[#48]

Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:51:10 PM EDT
[#49]
What are we looking at here?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#50]

What are we looking at here?
View Quote
looks like a panoramic of the thermal overlay.
Page / 145
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top