User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 3:46:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cherenkov:
Why can't a NICS check be good for a much wider window of time?  Say at least a year? or have a frequent NFA form that is used for a wide window of time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cherenkov:
Why can't a NICS check be good for a much wider window of time?  Say at least a year? or have a frequent NFA form that is used for a wide window of time.

Because the Brady Law requires it for Title I and the NFA requires it for Title II.

If one can get a pre-screening for flying why not for NFA?

Because neither the NFA or Brady Laws allows it.

Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:19:38 PM EDT
[#2]
So adding your SSN can speed things up?  I never did and am reluctant to so so.  What do most people do?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By defenderhome:
So adding your SSN can speed things up?  I never did and am reluctant to so so.  What do most people do?
View Quote

I put my SSN down. Never had an issue.
Not really worried about the LGS's around here stealing my SSN.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:55:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:  Why can't a NICS check be good for a much wider window of time?  Say at least a year? or have a frequent NFA form that is used for a wide window of time.

If one can get a pre-screening for flying why not for NFA?
View Quote

Because gun control is intended to restrict your 2nd Amendment rights, not make it easier to exercise them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By defenderhome:
View Quote

I am always an "immediate" proceed if I include my Social Security Number.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:07:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I am always an "immediate" proceed without including my Social Security Number.

It kinda depends on how common your name is.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:10:27 PM EDT
[#7]
N"I"CS is not "Instant" for most of my Hispanic customers, even w/ a SSN.  It discriminates against the color of your skin and the naming conventions of your culture.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:12:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By KitBuilder:
I am always an "immediate" proceed without including my Social Security Number.

It kinda depends on how common your name is.
View Quote

For many years I did not put my SSN and never had an issue.  Then one time I was put on a hold and delayed.  I started putting in my SSN and have not been delayed since.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:47:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
N"I"CS is not "Instant" for most of my Hispanic customers, even w/ a SSN.  It discriminates against the color of your skin and the naming conventions of your culture.
View Quote

"Instant" doesn't mean instant "Proceed", it means instant status, and that status can be proceed, delayed, denied. etc.

I have fewer delays on Hispanic and Asian last names than Anglo last names.
And "Hispanic" has nothing to do with skin color, its an ethnicity. You can be Hispanic/White, Hispanic/Black, Hispanic/American Indian, etc.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

"Instant" doesn't mean instant "Proceed", it means instant status, and that status can be proceed, delayed, denied. etc.

And "Hispanic" has nothing to do with skin color, its an ethnicity. You can be Hispanic/White, Hispanic/Black, Hispanic/American Indian, etc.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  N"I"CS is not "Instant" for most of my Hispanic customers, even w/ a SSN.  It discriminates against the color of your skin and the naming conventions of your culture.

The most common response I get on my Hispanic customers is Processing, which makes them wait 30 minutes.  That's not "Instant".

And it happens most often to my brown skinned Hispanic customers.  So NICS does apparently discriminate against the color of the customer's skin.

A right delayed is a right denied.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#11]

The most common response I get on my Hispanic customers is Processing, which makes them wait 30 minutes.  That's not "Instant".

And it happens most often to my brown skinned Hispanic customers.  So NICS does apparently discriminate against the color of the customer's skin.

View Quote

If you call NICS they will instantly tell you "Delayed".

"Processing" is a temporary status only on eCheck. Prior to eCheck, NICS would forward the phone call to a NICS Examiner who would review the records while you waited. They quit doing that a decade ago.

Skin color isn't a choice on the Form 4473.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:41:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bye_Felicia] [#12]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  N"I"CS is not "Instant" for most of my Hispanic customers, even w/ a SSN.  It discriminates against the color of your skin and the naming conventions of your culture.

I get you are trying to play the game, but it's all about what is in the system.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 6:46:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Bye_Felicia:

I get you are trying to play the game, but it's all about what is in the system.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bye_Felicia:

Play their own rules against them.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Play their own rules against them.
View Quote

How so?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#15]

How so?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Play their own rules against them.

How so?

Claim systemic discrimination based on race/ethnicity.  For me, Hispanics get Processing for half an hour more than any other customers I have.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 9:39:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Claim systemic discrimination based on race/ethnicity.  For me, Hispanics get Processing for half an hour more than any other customers I have.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Play their own rules against them.

How so?

Good luck with that.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:19:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I get quick approvals without using my SSN. I also have an uncommon last name.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 8:44:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TactiCoolBro] [#18]
I always use my social AND a UPIN and my last suppressor still took 385 days. And I have a last name that I’ve never, ever seen before outside of my small family. I have a clean record. One arrest, but charge was dropped like 3 weeks later.
I have another I submitted in January and apparently not one of the lucky ones with that one either. 68 days today on that one.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 7:27:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By TactiCoolBro:
I have a clean record. One arrest, but charge was dropped like 3 weeks later.
View Quote

Nope you don't have a clean record... or at least, you don't have clean data.  The FBI knows about the arrest and charge but not the dismissal of the charge in its system, so someone has to go looking for the outcome every time.  The arresting agency needs to send the disposition of the charge to the FBI.
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

Nope you don't have a clean record... or at least, you don't have clean data.  The FBI knows about the arrest and charge but not the dismissal of the charge in its system, so someone has to go looking for the outcome every time.  The arresting agency needs to send the disposition of the charge to the FBI.
View Quote

What’s involved in doing that?
And what’s the point of a UPIN in the first place if they still have to do all that? Lol
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#21]

And what’s the point of a UPIN in the first place if they still have to do all that? Lol
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bubbles:

The government is incredibly stupid and laden with bureaucracy
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:13:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By WhiskersTheCat:

View Quote

I mean I thought the entire point of having a UPIN in the first place is so the person doing the NICS check isn’t having to do all this supposed “looking into” since, you know…they did all that when they approved you for the fucking UPIN…
Link Posted: 3/20/2024 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#23]

I mean I thought the entire point of having a UPIN in the first place is so the person doing the NICS check isn’t having to do all this supposed “looking into” since, you know…they did all that when they approved you for the fucking UPIN…
View All Quotes

One would think
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:31:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Glocked] [#24]

View All Quotes

NICS has to purge itself constantly, because they can’t(aren’t supposed to) keep records.

The UPIN(VAF) gives them your permission to keep a file on you. So, when they run your check, instead of them having to research it every single time, which usually means reaching out to whoever owns the info in your record and requesting what they need. All that info is stored, accessed with your UPIN.

Even with a UPIN, they still have to run the check. The delay even with UPIN is because it still requires a human to look at and approve it.

This will show you what they are seeing when they run your name.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 9:58:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Glocked:

NICS has to purge itself constantly, because they can’t(aren’t supposed to) keep records.

The UPIN(VAF) gives them your permission to keep a file on you. So, when they run your check, instead of them having to research it every single time, which usually means reaching out to whoever owns the info in your record and requesting what they need. All that info is stored, accessed with your UPIN.

Even with a UPIN, they still have to run the check. The delay even with UPIN is because it still requires a human to look at and approve it.

View Quote

This.
When your dealer runs an FBI NICS check, he'll get a proceed/delayed/denied response from NICS.
Federal law requires that "proceeds" be deleted from NICS at the close of the NICS business day. "Delayed" are held open until the status changes to "proceed". BG checks that result in a "denied" status are held open permanently.  

As Glocked mentions, getting that UPIN means your file at NICS is kept open and allows the FBI NICS Examiner to review your information immediately.

Unlike a state firearm permit that allows an exemption to the NICS check, a UPIN doesn't. You write your UPIN on the 4473 and the dealer gives that to NICS.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:23:28 AM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

Is there a way to get the arrest off my record since it never resulted in a charge?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:24:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#27]

Is there a way to get the arrest off my record since it never resulted in a charge?
View Quote

Not likely. but thats not the problem, its the missing disposition that will continue until that agency updates NICS.
Bubbles mentioned this in post#19
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:28:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Not likely. but thats not the problem, its the missing disposition that will continue until that agency updates NICS.
Bubbles mentioned this in post#19
View Quote

So just contact the arresting agency and tell them to send the FBI the proper paperwork showing that the charge was dropped?
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#29]
So just contact the arresting agency and tell them to send the FBI the proper paperwork showing that the charge was dropped?
View Quote
Yes. The proper form is an FBI R-84.

Then after that's updated, try to get the entire arrest expunged.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 11:40:41 AM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes

That’s lawyer kind of advice lol or at least someone familiar with your laws.

It likely depends. On your state, on the arresting agency, on the courts. Most have some version of expungement, clearance letters, or ways to update your arrest info.

All that info and changes can be submitted with your UPIN application too.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:26:51 PM EDT
[#31]

That’s lawyer kind of advice lol or at least someone familiar with your laws.

It likely depends. On your state, on the arresting agency, on the courts. Most have some version of expungement, clearance letters, or ways to update your arrest info.

All that info and changes can be submitted with your UPIN application too.
View Quote

Oh I’ve applied and been approved for a UPIN a long time ago. Lol
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By macloud:
My paper form 4 will hit the PO box tomorrow. We shall see how long it takes.
View Quote
But why? What is the point of a paper form?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By txgunguy:
View All Quotes

You get a cool physical stamp
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#34]

View All Quotes

Yup, it’s also the only way to transfer in state between non SOTs and they generally allow corrections instead of just disapproving it and having to start all over.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top