Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2017 9:05:59 AM EDT
I've looked around and can't find an exact answer to this question. Do you have to engrave your information on the serial numbered part of the firearm? I've always had ARs engraved on the receiver bc that's where the serial number is. I ask the question because I read a thread here on the site quite awhile back where guys had mentioned having their NFA info engraved on the barrel under the hand guards. This intrigued me and made made my antennae go up so to speak, because  I thought this was a complete no no, one of the posters was asked about this and the reply was that "as long as the engraving is on a part that the gun will not function without it's legit, and the gun will not function without a barrel"... Is this correct or complete BS? It doesn't sound legit to me but it's intrigued me enough to ask.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#1]
§ 479.102 How must firearms be identified? 

(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows: 

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and 

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes: 

(i) The model, if such designation has been made; 

(ii) The caliber or gauge; 

(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker; 

(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and 
View Quote
As above, the serial number must be on the receiver or frame.  The model designation, caliber, and then your added name and location where you made the firearm can be either on the frame/receiver or on the barrel.

For all of this information, it is generally said that it must be visible on the external area of the firearm such that no disassembly is needed to find it, so it should be conspicuous.  There is a lot of back and forth about engravings on the barrel that is then covered by a hand guard and obscured being okay or not, but most don't stress it too much.

IMO, it makes most sense to have the model, serial, and your name/city/state info on the lower for an AR, or whatever the serialized part is.  Then the caliber can also be there but if its also on the barrel (most barrel makers put it there anyway), that means you can have multiple uppers in different calibers used on the same lower if you choose, and not have to get every upper or barrel engraved with the all the information, since they it's always there on the lower.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:30:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. and clarification.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:16:50 PM EDT
[#4]
You could mark the upper, or barrel in a "conspicuous" location, but that would essentially "marry" that SBR upper/bbl to your lower......

I may be wrong, but it seems that engraving multiple uppers/bbls  could constitute mfg. of multiple NFA firearms....
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:54:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I may be wrong...
View Quote
You are. 

The SBR is only an SBR when it's in a complete SBR config (short barrel/OAL AND has a shoulder stock).  You can have as many extra short barreled uppers as you want for one registered lower, and so long as all the required engravings are in an accepted location on the complete, assembled SBR at any given time when it's in a configuration that meets the definition of an SBR, you're GTG.

Plus, simply engraving your name and location on an upper or barrel does not and NFA item make, anyone can add any markings that want to firearms.  About the only thing you cannot do with regard to markings is remove or permanently destroy an existing serial number.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:21:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You could mark the upper, or barrel in a "conspicuous" location, but that would essentially "marry" that SBR upper/bbl to your lower......

I may be wrong, but it seems that engraving multiple uppers/bbls  could constitute mfg. of multiple NFA firearms....
View Quote
That is incorrect.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Put it in your magwell like most do and don't worry about the barrel thing.

Barrels will wear out plus you might have a harder time or pay more to engrave a barrel.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As above, the serial number must be on the receiver or frame.  The model designation, caliber, and then your added name and location where you made the firearm can be either on the frame/receiver or on the barrel.
View Quote
The actual regulation (the quoted text above is not the regulation), says 'barrel, frame or receiver'.  Read the CFR.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The actual regulation (the quoted text above is not the regulation), says 'barrel, frame or receiver'.  Read the CFR.
View Quote
The text in my first reply IS taken from the U.S. CFR, Title 27, Chapter 2, Subchapter B, Part 479.102:  How must firearms be identified?  (Link)

"barrel, frame or receiver" is allowed for all other markings, including the name, location of the maker/manufacturer/importer.

However, the line about serial numbers reads:

"By engraving, casting, stamping(impressing), or otherwise conspicuously
placing or causing to be engraved,
cast, stamped (impressed) or
placed on the frame or receiver thereof
an individual serial number.
The serial
number must be placed in a manner
not susceptible of being readily obliterated,
altered, or removed, and must not
duplicate any serial number placed by
you on any other firearm.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I stand corrected; I need to read the CFR... but you edited..that's not what was there before.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:45:24 AM EDT
[#11]
...Come on man.
I edited my first post one minute after I originally posted to fix a spelling mistake, days before your post, look at the time stamps... And even if I edit my post, your quote of mine wouldn't change...
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:59:15 AM EDT
[#12]
OK, there are two parts to the CFR.  The first deals with the serial number and the second deals with all the other required markings.  Also note that the serial number has a size requirement and the additional markings do not.

In addition; there is an ATF opinion that adds the pistol slide to the list.  See: 2013-3

479.102 How must firearms be identified?
(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch; and

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(i) The model, if such designation has been made;

(ii) The caliber or gauge;

(iii) Your name (or recognized abbreviation) and also, when applicable, the name of the foreign manufacturer or maker;

(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and

(v) In the case of an imported firearm, the name of the country in which it was manufactured and the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the importer maintain your place of business. For additional requirements relating to imported firearms, see Customs regulations at 19 CFR part 134.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top