Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2017 5:30:36 PM EDT
Let's say that I bought a stripped AR-type lower that the previous owner had configured as an SBR and had the stamp to go with it.  Lower was engraved with his trust name and city.  Since it was just a lower it was sold to me as a simple Title 1 gun.  
Now let's say that I want to get a stamp for it and make it back into an SBR.  Will I run into difficulties since the gun is/was already on the NFA registry?  If so, what would I need to do to sort it out (if even possible)?  Make sure that the PO has written a letter to the ATF stating that he's removed the gun from NFA configuration and sold it?
And how about the engraving?  I'm guessing that I could have the old engraving obliterated or made unreadable and then have my info engraved.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#1]
You can do that. You don't have to obliterate the old maker markings (you can if you want), but you do have to engrave your info as you know.

Personally I don't really see it as being worth it when stripped lowers are $40. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]
It'll jusat cost you $200 and a year wait; you'll have to Form 1 it again.

ATF may have some questions as the serial will be in the Register, so you may want to include an explanatory letter about it being acquired by you as a Title I firearm.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#3]
It doesn't matter if it was stripped. If the previous owner didn't have it removed from the registry, you just participated in a transfer you don't want to be part of without prior blessing of the alphabet boys.

Mod edit...post contains incorrect info that doesn't need to be repeated
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Building on this. If the SBR were part of a Trust previously could the owner (TRUST) , original, add the future purchaser to the trust making the transfer completely legal without all the hassle of a wait and no $200.00 payments?

Greg
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:29:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It doesn't matter if it was stripped. If the previous owner didn't have it removed from the registry, you just participated in a transfer you don't want to be part of without prior blessing of the alphabet boys.
View Quote
You shouldn't post about things you know nothing about. You couldn't possibly be more wrong.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:50:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Wrong. Don't bother posting if you don't know what you're posting.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:01:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Glad to hear it.  That's a good idea to include a letter explaining the situation with my Form 1 paperwork.  Thanks for the info, everyone.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:53:31 PM EDT
[#9]
So what would the receiver be transferred as on a 4473? If it went through a FFL of course.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I was wondering if that was still the case because it had already been built into a rifle.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was wondering if that was still the case because it had already been built into a rifle.
View Quote
Yep, that's why the 4473 means nothing with regard to how a lower can and cannot be configured.  The option checked on the 4473 is basically just like a "snapshot" of the firearm as it sits at the time of the transfer.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:49:40 PM EDT
[#13]
ATF recently required that the original owner of a SBR be the one to send the removal letter before allowing a form 1.

As the (previous) FAQ showed, a rifle lacking the defining attributes of a SBR does not fall under the NFA. So, you can have a receiver which is still registered as a SBR but as long as you are title 1 length you are perfectly legal.

If you are in the same state, why not have him transfer it to you on a form 4?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:57:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, there are $40 stripped lowers out there but not all lowers are $40 lowers. This one was JUST what I wanted.  The seller was in a different state so a Form 4 wouldn't have been the way to go.  I did find out from him that he had notified the ATF that he was returning the gun to Title 1 status.  I'll still probably include a letter with my Form 1 explaining the situation, though.  
Thanks for the info, everyone.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Building on this. If the SBR were part of a Trust previously could the owner (TRUST) , original, add the future purchaser to the trust making the transfer completely legal without all the hassle of a wait and no $200.00 payments?

Greg
View Quote
Sure, you could add them to the trust, if the trust is worded such that any trustees can posess trust assetts.  But, note that there's no "transfer" here.  The trust still owns the firearm.

But make damn sure you trust the trustee!

And "selling" the firearm to the new trustee is probably a good way to get 10 years in prison.

I suppose the new trustee could make a cash deposit to the trust, but it might be a good idea to keep up with the accounting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top