Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2017 10:05:32 PM EDT
It's been a while...

Who for excellent work, turn around time, reliability, etc?
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 10:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, seeing as how you're in SC, Tar Heel State Firearms in Matthews (Charlotte area) is who you should go to.

I'll be heading over there tomorrow afternoon to help a friend get a bunch of stuff engraved, prints, and photos.

They did the engraving on my SBS and it's fantastic work.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 1:29:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd ask in your hometown forum and see who they use unless you want stuff like engraving ar lowers around the trigger or something like that(which a local shop might not be able to do). I'd personally think a local shop where you can drop it off and don't have to worry about shipping would be the best option if you have a good one near you.

I personally have used TSC machine for all of my sbr engraving. He is semi local to me though. On ar's I just have him do the basic on the side near the fire control group pins. Good news is almost every time I've needed engraving I've been able to bring it to him and they will do it while I wait.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 2:12:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Ident.

/thread
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 3:45:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Tar Heel State
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:50:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, seeing as how you're in SC, Tar Heel State Firearms in Matthews (Charlotte area) is who you should go to.
I'll be heading over there tomorrow afternoon to help a friend get a bunch of stuff engraved, prints, and photos.
They did the engraving on my SBS and it's fantastic work.
View Quote
This, you'll have it back in ~2 days.
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Tar Hill State Firearms.  Great people and excellent work!
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:00:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I have always liked Orion Arms.
Orion Arms
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 6:51:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Orion Arms
View Quote
They've done great work for me.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for Tarheel.  Very quick turnaround
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Veritas machining and are an ffl.

They did mine on lip of magwell...dead sexy.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Um, Capitol Armory is a site sponsor. Great work, and quick turnaround times. Give them a call. Nothing bad to say about any of the other suggestions. 
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:00:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Orion has always done a good job for me.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:24:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I would likely send my stuff to Tar Heel or Ident.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I stopped by Ident yesterday and they did a good job.

The other engraver I've used is US Tactical in Virginia. He's a one man operation but his results were easily as good as Ident's.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:18:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I stopped by Ident yesterday and they did a good job.

The other engraver I've used is US Tactical in Virginia. He's a one man operation but his results were easily as good as Ident's.
View Quote
Can you post a picture of it?  I've seen a lot of recommendations for Ident and some of the pictures on their website don't look extremely impressive in my opinion.  They're local so it's convenient, but I'm still not 100% sure I want to go there.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:44:58 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Can you post a picture of it?  I've seen a lot of recommendations for Ident and some of the pictures on their website don't look extremely impressive in my opinion.  They're local so it's convenient, but I'm still not 100% sure I want to go there.
View Quote
How impressive do you expect block Arial font to look when lasered onto a gun?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've seen some pictures of engravings with great clean borders finished looking like it was put on there from the factory.  Some of what I've seen from Ident looks rough around the edges.  If it were a $50 milspec lower I wouldn't care that much, but I'm engraving a discontinued $450 billet so I want to make sure it looks good the first time so that's it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I've seen some pictures of engravings with great clean borders finished looking like it was put on there from the factory.  Some of what I've seen from Ident looks rough around the edges.  If it were a $50 milspec lower I wouldn't care that much, but I'm engraving a discontinued $450 billet so I want to make sure it looks good the first time so that's it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.
View Quote
If it makes you feel better the two guns engraved were a MKE MP5 clone and a MP5SD clone, neither of which are cheap. Very happy with the cosmetic results on both. I do not have a picture handy.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Used them for a side of magwell custom logo.  Had one iteration to revise the text and then it was done.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 2:15:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Completely stupid question and probably could answer myself, how are yall shipping your lowers to places like THSF for engraving?  What carrier are you using and about how much does it cost you?
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 8:00:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:48:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Veritas and Orion have always worked well for me.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
so many good choices, I went with Veritas since they're local (2 hours away) from me.  it was cool to be able to put a face with the voice on the phone and learn about how the lasers operated
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Completely stupid question and probably could answer myself, how are yall shipping your lowers to places like THSF for engraving?  What carrier are you using and about how much does it cost you?
View Quote
Shipped one off today to them. Used FedEx. $17 for 2 day. Only thing they asked was is not a complete firearm.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 4:35:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 12:46:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just a quick heads-up for anybody sending stuff to THSF. Scott sent me an email yesterday to say they had a medical emergency in the family and probably won't be engraving for a couple days. Probably back at it by Wed or Thu. Still probably faster than a lot of places, but it won't be the 24-hour turnaround they usually provide.
View Quote
Waited 11 months for the stamp, whats a couple more days.  Family first.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#31]
We've been using Gray Laser in San Antonio.

Quick turnaround and the owner is a real nice guy.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:10:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Ident

Gray Laser Engraving

Both are excellent.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
THSF all the way. I've used a wide variety, both local and around the US. Nobody beats the quality, speed and price of THSF.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:30:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Got mine back from Tar Heel State today. Very nice. Packaged real well.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Tarheel State Firearms.  Had numerous items engraved, the work and turnaround time are second to none.
Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:29:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Tar Heel State
View Quote
This .... I made an appointment for a Saturday morning. Drove down and they did it while I waited, 4 lowers and an AK. Was in and out in like 30 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 2:32:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
THSF did my lowers for me, and they did a fantastic job.  I'd recommend them wholeheartedly.
View Quote
+1 for me also with THSF, great service & will use them in the future.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:08:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Um, Capitol Armory is a site sponsor. Great work, and quick turnaround times. Give them a call. Nothing bad to say about any of the other suggestions. 
View Quote
I had Capitol engrave a lower for me yesterday. Looks good and did it while I waited. 
They did the engraving and form 1 for me (since they had my photos and fingerprints). Whole process was less then 10 minutes. 
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 9:02:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Just dropped my box off at the post office to get shipped to THFS, expected turnaround time means they should be back say monday?
Link Posted: 8/9/2017 12:32:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks to the advice in this thread, I sent my lower to THSF. It was at his place for less then 24 hours before it was finished and on the way back to me. I included a return shipping label but I also accidentally clicked on the option to pay them to ship it back to me when I checked out on the website. He refunded me the $15 shipping fee since I included the return label. I will definitely be sending them any future lower that I need engraved.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Orion Arms
View Quote
Me too.  I like their inside the trigger guard engraving.

They've got one of mine right now, in fact.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:06:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Another vote for Veritas here. They did 2 lowers of mine, magwell lip on both, and did an excellent job.

Pretty quick turnaround time and excellent customer service / communications as well.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:14:39 AM EDT
[#43]
I use Grey Laser Engraving in San Antonio.

I go to San Antonio quite often to visit my son and Grey does them while I wait.
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:32:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Tar Heel State
View Quote
just got one back from them last week.. awesome work!!
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 10:38:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
We've been using Gray Laser in San Antonio.

Quick turnaround and the owner is a real nice guy.
View Quote
I've used him for all of my SBRs and some other crap I wanted engraved. He's a really nice guy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top