Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2017 10:02:49 PM EDT
So to set this up, last year I bought two suppressors a few months apart through Silencershop.  

The first one was approved at about three months and the the FFL never tried to contact me.  I found out five months after approval when it passed the eight month mark and I got curious.  I called and they basically said "yeah, it's here".

Before that all happened, I had bought the second one and had it sent to the same shop.

I found out three weeks ago that the second one had been approved on March 8th.  The FFL has no record of the Form 4.  The guy that runs the shop says his former partner "handles the NFA stuff".  I left my number again with him when I visited his shop a week ago and no contact.  I let him know I was ordering a certified copy of the Form 4.  His response, "what does that do for you?".

The certified copy came today.  

My question is, does this guy now have to transfer the suppressor to me with me having this certified copy?

What are my options if he won't?
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd tell him to give me my fucking suppressor ricky tik.  He's now in possession of a suppressor that's not registered to him.

What's his problem, by the way?  Out his ass, call ATF, file small claims, dox him, make his life hell.
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 10:53:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 1:42:48 AM EDT
[#3]
You should have stopped going to that shop after the first 'fudge-up' they did.

Not contacting you once it came in is inexcusable. Especially since it wasn't until 5 months later after you had called them wondering.

Now your second one has been approved for over a month, and they have no idea where the Form 4 is.

I'd be contacting both the ATF and Silencershop if I was you. If they still continue to ignore you, get ATF and local PD involved.

Hopefully you get your silencer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 12:02:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/25/2017 2:30:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd tell him to give me my fucking suppressor ricky tik.  He's now in possession of a suppressor that's not registered to him.

What's his problem, by the way?  Out his ass, call ATF, file small claims, dox him, make his life hell.
View Quote
Just FYI, the approved form doesn't mean the transfer has taken place. Until the transfer happens, that form can be canceled and refunded.

It is not wise to go pissing off any dealer that has not physically transferred the weapon.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 2:23:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just FYI, the approved form doesn't mean the transfer has taken place. Until the transfer happens, that form can be canceled and refunded.

It is not wise to go pissing off any dealer that has not physically transferred the weapon.
View Quote
This is my take also.  It would be different if they even acted like they cared.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 3:54:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Why is there so many dealers that act this way with NFA items? I swear it seems like they collect the money upfront obviously so they don't give a shit down the line.

It's almost as its like "haha I got your shit and I'll give it to you when I feel like it"

Ridiculous.

Of course there's 3 sides to every story but still seeing more n more of these
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 6:49:25 PM EDT
[#8]
That's pretty crazy. Can you just get your money back and stick him with the suppressor somehow? It just seems not right that you paid for it. It's your property. It is approved and part of your trust. (Trust I assume) how can he not transfer your legal,transferable property? I would get the ATF involved immediately. They need to know about this clown. The above poster is right. This is becoming a trend. Maybe not this extreme but many dealers hold your stamp for a couple weeks until they can do them all one day or shit like that. Silencer shop does not. They are Johnny on the spot with that shit.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I would get the ATF involved immediately.
View Quote
...and what makes you think ATF would care?  That's a business practice on the part of the dealer, and not in their purview at all.
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 9:43:51 AM EDT
[#10]
OPs dealer and my dealer have the same business skills.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 1:04:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Just an update to this story:

Since this dealer has limited hours during the week that are after I have to be at work, I went out there today (Saturday) at noon.  I was expecting an argument, but still I went with a good attitude and tried to be courteous.

There were more people behind the counter than I had seen before.  I told them simply that I was there to pick up my suppressor.  They asked the name, came right out with it and the stamp(!), I filled out the 4473 and was out of there in minutes.

I think maybe someone talked to them behind the scenes.

That said, I will never use them again and warn anyone I can from using them for NFA transfers.

Simply amateurish and unacceptable business practices.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Who was the company so I don't happen to use them?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Technically, once the Form 4 is approved, you are the "on-record" possessor of the firearm and the dealer isn't.  The dealer only has a "reasonable" amount of time to transfer the firearm to you because he isn't supposed to be in possession of it anymore (it's off his NFR&TR).  Of course, the dealer can cancel the transaction and notify the ATF but he can't just sit on it - it could actually cause troubles for him.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top