Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/20/2017 3:55:57 PM EDT
So Im thinking about submitting a 5320.20 in the near future.
Im possibly going to be relocating to another state this year at some point, and figured it might be a good idea to have the forms approved in advance.

Can I submit them with general information?  It asks for the new address on the form, but Im trying to be proactive with the submission and aside from a city and state that we know it would be, I don't have an address.
Do I need to have one?  
What about the dates of transfer.... I have no idea when it would be, can I just do the whole year?  I thought i heard that people do that, or is that only for a temporary transfer?  As this would be permanent can I not be so general with my answers?

I just don't want everything to happen fast and not have these approved forms ready to go.

On the form there are only 3 spots for items.....I have more than that, so do I need to submit a few forms, to cover everything?
Suppressors are not required to be mentioned correct?  Or is it wise to just include them as well?

ETA:  Some things are individual and some are trust, so I would assume separate forms for the separate types of forms I did, correct?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#2]
To be proactive, I would file a temp now for a year and then file later for perm after you know the specific address.

For the temp just use the address of a hotel or range nearby.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:42:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you bigwaylon.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
To be proactive, I would file a temp now for a year and then file later for perm after you know the specific address.

For the temp just use the address of a hotel or range nearby.
View Quote

This is exactly what I was going to ask next.  So it seems I can do a temporary form into the new state.  Get them there, then file a new form with my old address and new address for the permanent transfer, correct?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#4]
So I was thinking about this some more;
If I fill out the form as temporary, then move, then when I'm at the new address if I fill out the form as permanent, will it be okay that I'm no longer at the original address?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 9:30:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Just my .02c being someone intimately familiar with gov paperwork, but not necessarily NFA paperwork.

You fill out a temp form 20, that a hows intent to return. Filing a temp form 20 for a perm move seems like a bad idea.

I recently went through this, this is my solution. All my NFA are in a trust, I filed a perm to my trustees house and the NFA will stay with him indefinitely until I have a perm address. I will then form 20 them to my new address. 

For the personal transfers you don't have that luxury, therefore I recommend (not a lawyer - not legal advice) that you fill out a perm move once you have your new perm address. If you don't have a perm address on the other end, I would use the hotel you will stay at  which gives you entry into the state. If you wind up time crunched in the end, I have heard they are willing to work with you at the NFA branch.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I was thinking about this some more;
If I fill out the form as temporary, then move, then when I'm at the new address if I fill out the form as permanent, will it be okay that I'm no longer at the original address?
View Quote
As long as you are in an approved state, at the approved time, then yes
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#7]
What I have done for THREE out of state permanent moves:
  • File a 1 year temporary transport for 'general recreation purposes during holidays'
  • Move during this year
  • File a permanent change of address during this one year window when I was in my new house
If you 'overstay' your 1 year transport, then you CANNOT take your NFA back to the original location and MUST file a permanent or temporary move from scratch if NFA is in the 'new' state just like a new move would be required if your NFA was in the 'old' state.

You could also deposit your NFA in a safe that only you know how to open at an in state address and do the move paperwork after you are at your new house.  I knew a guy that was living in California that had a safe full of NFA in a long term storage locker in the town I lived in at the time.  I'm not sure I would leave over $100K in a safe in a $30 a month long term storage locker but, it worked out for him.  Like NFA left in a safety deposit box at the bank, be cautious of an "abandonment" issue if you fail to pay rent on time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#8]
^This is the route I think I'll take.

The only question I really have left is;

When I submit the second form with my permanent new address, once I know what it is and am living there, will they know to send the form back to my new address or will it go to my old address because you are expected to send the form out BEFORE you do a permanent move?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top