Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2017 9:13:26 PM EDT
I have a Scorpion and a stripped lower that I want to SBR. Any help with the questions below is appreciated.

1. I don't have a Trust, is it worth at this point or should I move forward and have my name engraved on them?

2. I plan on moving (within state) in the next six months. Should I wait until I have a new address or have my current address engraved on them?

3. I don't know what upper I want to put on my AR lower. Do I need to have a specific barrel length when submitting the form 1? I always thought the rule of thumb was you weren't supposed to have an upper less than 16" without owning an AR pistol or another SBR.

4. For the CLEO notification do I simply send a letter stating I intend to SBR two firearms? Do I need to send copies of the form with fingerprints and photo? Do I need to provide proof to the ATF that I did in fact notify my CLEO?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 4:51:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
1. Up to you
2. You engrave the city & state of where's it made
3. You have to pick a caliber and barrel length. On the AR platform, barrel + 19" gives you a good estimate
[color=#ff0000]4. Ready the 41F Work In Progress sticky...it should explain it. There's no letter involved, only form(s)...depending on entity vs individual
View Quote
[/color]

The sticky is very helpful and straightforward.

Couple of observations from a recent 1st timer. Call your local PD to see if you will do the fingerprinting, I made an attempt to roll my own but it was difficult. Local PD was prompt and free.

With Windows 10 none of the electronic self populating forms were current/working, I printed them out (no need to be double sided) and wrote then in by hand.

Use a cellphone app to make your passport photos. I got 6 photos for around $0.25

Don't be surprised if you get a your CLEO paperwork (if filed at the state level)  returned with a letter telling you they don't want it. ATF says they are permissible and just need notified, Dave your return letter if you are concerned.

Otherwise good luck waiting.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 5:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[/color]

The sticky is very helpful and straightforward.

Couple of observations from a recent 1st timer. Call your local PD to see if you will do the fingerprinting, I made an attempt to roll my own but it was difficult. Local PD was prompt and free.

With Windows 10 none of the electronic self populating forms were current/working, I printed them out (no need to be double sided) and wrote then in by hand.

Use a cellphone app to make your passport photos. I got 6 photos for around $0.25

Don't be surprised if you get a your CLEO paperwork (if filed at the state level)  returned with a letter telling you they don't want it. ATF says they are permissible and just need notified, Dave your return letter if you are concerned.

Otherwise good luck waiting.
View Quote
Thanks for the input. I'm not an NFA virgin but I have not purchased anything since the changes in July. All my previous purchases were done as an individual so I'm really looking for advantages of a trust at this point. My two main concerns are that I will be moving this year and don't want to start the process and have to change it while they are in "NFA jail." The other concern is I don't want to have an address engraved on the lowers and move 4 months later.

I'm not worried about my local PD fingerprints they have done it in the past without issue. I suppose I'm going to just wait to move and then get the trust and file the paperwork sometime this summer.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm not worried about my local PD fingerprints they have done it in the past without issue. I suppose I'm going to just wait to move and then get the trust and file the paperwork sometime this summer.
View Quote
Individual can have some benefit over trust if you are the only one using your NFA.

Waiting until you are moved is the path of least resistance.  Since the wait is 7 to 9 months, another 4 months isn't too bad.  When I was approved in 6 weeks, another 4 months would have been terrible .... :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top