Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2017 1:16:20 PM EDT
I have a form 1 that was approved in Colorado (where my trust's permanent mailing address at a family member's house is located) for a SCAR 17, but I have since moved to Alabama. The SCAR is still wearing its factory 16 inch barrel. When I finally get around to swapping it out for the 13 inch barrel, do I file a form 20 to move it as an SBR first, or is there something else I should do? And how should I engrave it (Colorado or Alabama)?
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:48:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The regulations say you, as maker, engrave the city & state where the firearm is actually made.

Since you don't actually have an SBR, you wouldn't have needed a 5320.20 to be in AL. That being said, it makes things a little more "clean" if you file the form and have the registry updated. You'll need to include a request for it to be mailed to the new/current address instead of the registered address. Otherwise they just tri-fold the form and it ends up in the wrong state.
View Quote

Okay, so it sounds like I should be good if I file a form 20 to "move" the rifle to Alabama, engrave it:

MY TRUST
MY CITY AL

...and then finally swap barrels.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:46:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The regulations say you, as maker, engrave the city & state where the firearm is actually made.
View Quote

Can you link to this so I can read it? TIA.

Edit: found this.

27 CFR 479.102:

(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:

(2) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed), or placed on the frame, receiver, or barrel thereof certain additional information. This information must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered or removed. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of this information must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch. The additional information includes:

(iv) In the case of a domestically made firearm, the city and State (or recognized abbreviation thereof) where you as the manufacturer maintain your place of business, or where you, as the maker, made the firearm; and
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 12:41:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 1:05:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Glad I could help.
View Quote

I actually found the quoted language in one of your old posts.  Appreciate it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top