Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2017 1:58:46 PM EDT
I was at the range yesterday when a guy came up to me asking about my suppressed SBR. He asks a few questions and then explains why he doesn't want to deal with the hassle of acquiring NFA items.

He then described a guy he knows who was at another local range recently shooting his integrally suppressed Daniel Defense SBR. I'm assuming he was referring to the DDM4 ISR.

He told me that the range called the ATF because the guy was shooting the gun while his Trust and Stamps were in his car in the parking. Apparently the ATF shows up and confiscates his gun and will be destroying it...

The guy who told me the story said he is LEO. He claimed it is some new rule that ranges have to abide by (notifying the ATF)...

How plausible is this story? Is it just some BS urban myth he doctored up? Any other case of this happening? I know I keep my documents in my range bag no matter what.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Absolutely positively certain to be real and not at all in the slightest completely made up ATF is also doing random inspections of NFA owners and if they don't have the paperwork framed and hung within sight of the NFA item's storage it will be immediately destroyed by a 10 ton forging hammer they bring with them happened to my uncle's brother's sister's momma
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:17:13 PM EDT
[#2]
lets see, 9 months to sign a stamp, but they can be at the range in 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:18:42 PM EDT
[#3]
The ATF doesn't drive around waiting to confiscate guns at shooting ranges. I don't think they could even show up that quickly, local LEO would show up first confiscate anything they felt broke the law then contact the ATF. There is no reason why they wouldn't let the owner show his Info and they certainly wouldn't destroy a NFA item if it was legally registered. It's all the same BS as they will randomly show up at your house to inspect the items, blah blah blah. None of its true. The avg Joe knows nothing about the NFA but wants to sound cool so they just repeat bad info they have heard in the last. That guy was probably a part time mall security guard. Sadly this bad info keeps people from buying NFA items and making them not common and accepted by the public. Also there's always the guys who deep down want NFA items but make up excuses why they don't own them, when the real truth is they just can't afford the high dollar items.

Same People who say don't drive a sport car because they get bad gas Mileage, they really reason is they just afford a $50,000+ car
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#4]
It's either a wicked game of telephone or all bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:23:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:37:21 PM EDT
[#6]
GrandPa!!  GrandPa!!   Tell us the story about freedom and when men used to be free in this country!!

We Love Fairy Tales!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
...He told me that the range called the ATF because the guy was shooting the gun while his Trust and Stamps were in his car in the parking. Apparently the ATF shows up and confiscates his gun and will be destroying it....
View Quote

This one time...at band camp.....
Seriously....he's full of shit and you should have called him on it.
Spend five minutes reading the stickies in the NFA sub forum and you would know why that guy is an idiot.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:16:06 PM EDT
[#8]
There is some SCOTUS case   about having ample time to prove legal paperwork.....
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 3:23:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Total bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 4:25:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Total bullshit.
View Quote

I don't know about that. I just got a call from guy in Washington. Said his name  was B. H. Obama  and asked if I would take him duck hunting.... I told him I only hunted black ducks but he was good with that..

Greg
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:41:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Total BS
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 6:50:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
lets see, 9 months to sign a stamp, but they can be at the range in 10 minutes.
View Quote

Different department of course...
I remember when I worked at a store and we called ATF for something. It took them a week to call us back to set up a time when they could come by to handle the case.

If it's not something they are actively investigating already, they don't give a damn.

A couple months ago as I was leaving the range, there was a guy coming in. I had closed out my check, he was signing the forms and stuff to go out on the range. He then starts talking to the range officer and mentions he's with ATF, so I look him over. I'm in bad shape, he's in worse shape. Unkempt beard, bad hair... If he was really with ATF, he must be like, super deep under cover as an idiot.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

he's in worse shape. Unkempt beard, bad hair... If he was really with ATF, he must be like, super deep under cover as an idiot.
View Quote

I get EVERY tard coming up to me. Saying "They have this or that unregistered MG".  

They do not know me from shit, and did not know I was alive 10 mins ago but they feel then need to tell me they are a felon. A lot are ROs too
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:11:07 PM EDT
[#14]
The same guy also told me that it's a felony to own more than 10,000 rounds of one type of caliber....

My dad was with me the whole time and he barely knows anything about NFA, etc.

My dad believed every word the guy said. When the dummy finally walked away I told my dad he better just forget everything he just heard.

Funny, too. He said he was LEO but he was about 120lbs overweight and was wearing a skin tight under armour top
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:30:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Absolutely positively certain to be real and not at all in the slightest completely made up ATF is also doing random inspections of NFA owners and if they don't have the paperwork framed and hung within sight of the NFA item's storage it will be immediately destroyed by a 10 ton forging hammer they bring with them happened to my uncle's brother's sister's momma
View Quote

I can confirm this... Seriously.. happened to my friends neighbors buddys brother in law!... No shit!

keep yer shit wired tight boys!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:20:43 PM EDT
[#16]
It was probably because he didn't renew his tax stamps every year or wasn't at home when they came by for an unannounced inspection.

When will people learn that the NFA is serious business?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 12:53:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Total BS
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:18:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Ever play that game telephone?
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:39:37 AM EDT
[#19]
real story probably has local LEO who confiscated it after politely asking the guy a question and was answered with a go f yourself or something similar.  Some people are a shit magnet and could get arrested for selling Girl Scout cookies.  Dumbass will get his gun back when he finally act polite for more than 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:41:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I can confirm this... Seriously.. happened to my friends neighbors buddys brother in law!... No shit!

keep yer shit wired tight boys!
View Quote

I heard about this.. they shot his dog too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:42:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Definitely that story is BS.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:27:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
real story probably has local LEO who confiscated it after politely asking the guy a question and was answered with a go f yourself or something similar.  Some people are a shit magnet and could get arrested for selling Girl Scout cookies.  Dumbass will get his gun back when he finally act polite for more than 5 minutes.
View Quote

And folks wonder why LE has image problems.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 9:47:17 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I get EVERY tard coming up to me. Saying "They have this or that unregistered MG".  

They do not know me from shit, and did not know I was alive 10 mins ago but they feel then need to tell me they are a felon. A lot are ROs too
View Quote

There are a lot of tards out there. Ive come accross two unregistered SBRs during random range trips.

The first guy was just an idiot and didnt understand the laws, probably someone newer to firearms.
ME: Hey cool SBR, nice to see some other NFA owners around here.
HIM: Oh no, this is just a pistol AR.
ME: But you have a buttstock on it. (It was a magpul CTR, not a sig brace)
HIM: Yeah, it makes it easier to shoot.
ME: But thats illegal to do that.
HIM: *Blank Stare*

The second guy was pretty sketchy, well his arms with covered with tattoos, not sure if that automatically makes someone sketchy. Me asking about his SBR quickly turned into f**k the government I dont need to registered anything it violates my second amendment rights and a bunch of other chatter about not following laws. I just smiled, said cool gun, returned to my lane, grabbed my gun, tossed it in my range bag and quickly got out of there.

Ive had numerous people tell me they have converted guns to full auto but never actually seen it in person. A co-worker, friend of friend, a friend's dad, random people at the range, pretty sure they're all BSing just to sound cool. It usually starts of with someone I know mentioning I have a MG and someone feels they need to be involved in the story and says something like "Oh, well I made a MG once, I Just filed down the hammer (or trigger) and it shoots full auto now" as if the only thing needed to convert a semi-auto to full-auto is a file and a couple cans of beer. After which I inform them that ownership of a unregistered MG is Illegal and can result in a 10 year jail sentence and $250,000 fine, at which point their story changes to "oh... well...I dont have it anymore" or "I actually couldn't get it to work right" Sure, whatever you say bro.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

There are a lot of tards out there. Ive come accross two unregistered SBRs during random range trips.

The first guy was just an idiot and didnt understand the laws, probably someone newer to firearms.
ME: Hey cool SBR, nice to see some other NFA owners around here.
HIM: Oh no, this is just a pistol AR.
ME: But you have a buttstock on it. (It was a magpul CTR, not a sig brace)
HIM: Yeah, it makes it easier to shoot.
ME: But thats illegal to do that.
HIM: *Blank Stare*

The second guy was pretty sketchy, well his arms with covered with tattoos, not sure if that automatically makes someone sketchy. Me asking about his SBR quickly turned into f**k the government I dont need to registered anything it violates my second amendment rights and a bunch of other chatter about not following laws. I just smiled, said cool gun, returned to my lane, grabbed my gun, tossed it in my range bag and quickly got out of there.

Ive had numerous people tell me they have converted guns to full auto but never actually seen it in person. A co-worker, friend of friend, a friend's dad, random people at the range, pretty sure they're all BSing just to sound cool. It usually starts of with someone I know mentioning I have a MG and someone feels they need to be involved in the story and says something like "Oh, well I made a MG once, I Just filed down the hammer (or trigger) and it shoots full auto now" as if the only thing needed to convert a semi-auto to full-auto is a file and a couple cans of beer. After which I inform them that ownership of a unregistered MG is Illegal and can result in a 10 year jail sentence and $250,000 fine, at which point their story changes to "oh... well...I dont have it anymore" or "I actually couldn't get it to work right" Sure, whatever you say bro.
View Quote

Way back in 2004, when my dad and I first got into shooting, we went to a gun show in PA. We literally knew nothing about anything.

A guy was selling ARs and my dad asked what you had to do to make in full-auto (again, we didn't know dick). Guy tells us it's easy, just file down the trigger/hammer blah blah blah.

It's funny to look back and remember how gullible/naive we were.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 12:09:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Was there a dog shot?  That would make the story legit.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 5:46:58 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

On top if all that, they charge you $20 for operating costs of the forging hammer.  Ask me how I know.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Lol people are so fucking dumb at ranges.
Link Posted: 2/24/2017 6:12:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Funny, too. He said he was LEO but he was about 120lbs overweight and was wearing a skin tight under armour top
View Quote

I was thinking it was BS but sound like he really is a cop
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 4:43:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Ive had numerous people tell me they have converted guns to full auto but never actually seen it in person. A co-worker, friend of friend, a friend's dad, random people at the range, pretty sure they're all BSing just to sound cool. It usually starts of with someone I know mentioning I have a MG and someone feels they need to be involved in the story and says something like "Oh, well I made a MG once, I Just filed down the hammer (or trigger) and it shoots full auto now" as if the only thing needed to convert a semi-auto to full-auto is a file and a couple cans of beer.
View Quote

Yeah, I heard a lot of those stories over the years, too - which I found mildly amusing being a C2 SOT who actually has made many a semi into an MG all legal and proper-like. Some of the conversions aren't that difficult, really, but it's immediately clear when the BSers have no idea what they're talking about.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top