Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2017 5:25:04 PM EDT
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but now that we are 7 months post 41F what is everyone thinking wait times will look like once ATF processes all the pre 41F stamps?

From talking with a local dealer, he said 41F basically eliminated his NFA business. Also, Silencerco has announced they are doing employee layoffs due to a decrease in demand. I think a lot of the decrease demand can also be attributed to people holding out to see if the HPA passes. Clearly we will see some changes in wait times.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is we are still seeing some 10 months but I'm sure that will fall way off with people not buying.  My assumption as with others people are not buying due to the hearing protection act.  They are waiting to see what happens.  I just did a purchase but it was an SBR.  Remember though the ATF hired more people a couple of years ago for the increased demand so I'm sure if they see a fall off of applications I'm sure they will lay off the staff and wait times will go back up.  41p sucks.  It cost me more money and made it a lot more annoying seeing how all trustees have to go through the process.  Hopefully the current administration can put an end to that rule change.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:01:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm approaching a year.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:14:30 PM EDT
[#3]
We aren't actually into post 41f wait times yet. E file form 1s are just coming back from late June. Paper submissions are further behind. 

The amount of submissions after late June just kept ramping up until the deadline in early July. 100,000 forms submitted by silencer shop alone the day before. it will take them a few more months to hack through all those at least.

THEN we will be looking at post 41f wait times, and the times will likely drop at that point since there have been far fewer submissions since. 

I predict that if you bought a can in late June and another in November, you'll likely be waiting until April or so for the first one, and maybe a month or two after that for the second one. 
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#4]
In another post someone said they called to check and the ATF lady said they are doing paper forms from mid-March now.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm approaching a year.
View Quote

Ouch
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I would own a lot more NFA items if it wasn't for the wait times.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would own a lot more NFA items if it wasn't for the wait times.
View Quote

Hell I would have a damn near 50:50 ratio of guns to suppressors if HPA passes.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:12:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I filed my form 4 on May 03 2016.

Approved stamp 1/28/17 and picked up 2/7/17.

Not sure what times are like now. Hope HPA passes but if not no big deal.  Probally will get another silencer even if that means getting fingerprints and photos for 6 people.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:22:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm curious as to why everyone is holding out to see what happens with the HPA? There is a clause saying your $200 will become a tax credit if it's approved. Best case scenario is HPA passes and everything in NFA jail will be released to its owner. Worst case scenario is it doesn't pass, but at least the people who didn't hold out will be that far ahead with their wait times. If it does pass (which I obviously hope it does), suppressor demand will go through the moon, so I don't anticipate prices dropping for a while.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:46:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm curious as to why everyone is holding out to see what happens with the HPA? There is a clause saying your $200 will become a tax credit if it's approved. Best case scenario is HPA passes and everything in NFA jail will be released to its owner. Worst case scenario is it doesn't pass, but at least the people who didn't hold out will be that far ahead with their wait times. If it does pass (which I obviously hope it does), suppressor demand will go through the moon, so I don't anticipate prices dropping for a while.
View Quote
are they? I'm pretty sure the people saying "ill wait for HPA" are the same people who didn't buy previously because "you forfeit your 4th amendment rights", "$200 is too much", "taxation is theft", etc. Like the poster above me said... if it passes, then great, but either way I'll still buy stuff I want in the future. I think that's the more common attitude among people who have other NFA items already. 

I believe that most people who are holding out right now are doing it because 1) they bought their next 3-5 years worth of NFA stuff at once in anticipation of 41F and are still waiting to play with any of it, so they aren't going to be buying anything else anytime soon or 2) they have several people on their trust and don't feel like dragging 6 people spread out across the US to get fingerprinted, photos, forms etc. 
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:25:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Everyone?  Thats a long stretch.  The HPA is a fun pipe dream that wont look anything like the current bill even if it passes.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:41:00 AM EDT
[#12]
I expect times will drop significantly in the last half of the year. I don't want to mess with the new process, but if times drop under 3 months I may suck it up and build another SBR and buy another can to go with it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:45:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
In another post someone said they called to check and the ATF lady said they are doing paper forms from mid-March now.
View Quote
No way.

I've had an April submitted Form 4 (trust) since a few days after Christmas.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 6:56:26 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm looking at the 41f impact. Could buy something now and get stuck behind the 41f submissions.. wait time a year. Wait 6 months and all the 41f submissions have been completed.. wait time 6 months.

Rather have the money in my pocket for 6 more months. In the meantime prices will likely drop (certainly won't go up) and there will be a better understanding of the HPA.

ETA: I'm using the 1 year/6month as an example time frame to illustrate my point
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 8:45:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
No way.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No way.

Yup, just got back a May paper individual form.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:30:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Vandy58 wrote:

Hopefully the current administration can put an end to that rule change.
View Quote

Why? 41F was a significant improvement, getting rid of the CLEO signoff requirement. Sure, it made trusts more inconvenient, but trusts were originally a workaround for non-signing CLEO's. The other so-called "advantages" of trusts are vastly overrated. IMO, as long as you don't need a CLEO signoff, individual ownership is the way to go.

I personally hope that 41F is not changed. (And that the Hughes Amendment, at least, is repealed.)
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 9:49:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Vandy58 wrote:

Why? 41F was a significant improvement, getting rid of the CLEO signoff requirement. Sure, it made trusts more inconvenient, but trusts were originally a workaround for non-signing CLEO's. The other so-called "advantages" of trusts are vastly overrated. IMO, as long as you don't need a CLEO signoff, individual ownership is the way to go.

I personally hope that 41F is not changed. (And that the Hughes Amendment, at least, is repealed.)
View Quote

Some of us have to leave items with family for periods of time, a trust is a necessity in this case.

For every person that 41f benefits, it's probably a burden to two more.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 12:52:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I have
2 -22lr cans
3 - 9mm cans
2- 45 cans
1- 45 subgun can
1-556 can
1-762 can

i really do not "need" another can but, a 9mm bowers subgun can maybe??
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Everyone?  Thats a long stretch.  The HPA is a fun pipe dream that wont look anything like the current bill even if it passes.
View Quote

That was poorly worded, but I have been seeing a lot of people post on various gun forums about them holding out. Hell, my own brother in law is holding out. As much as I would like to see HPA pass, I really don't see it happening.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Vandy58 wrote:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Vandy58 wrote:

Hopefully the current administration can put an end to that rule change.

Huh?  I just went through an SBR purchase with my trust and it's sucks to say the least.  Both myself and my wife have to get finger printed which costs $20 a piece and 40 minutes of my time and her during the work week.  We have to get passport photos taken, $40 total for both.  I then get the "honor" of letting the most vindictive, liberal, illegal immigrant loving bitch in this entire country know that I'm buying an SBR and having the audacity of placing it in my residence (that part kind of makes me laugh but she's a psycho).  So it costs me more money and more time. I have to do all of this because my wife has full access to my safe will all of my stuff which includes all class III items and I cannot be around 24 hours.  Also in the event I die, she dies, or we both die, a trust makes it so much easier for them to be passed down.  I worked in banking for many years and dealt with trusts daily.  Whether a trust deals with ever asset you own or just NFA items trust me when I say they make life a lot easier.  41F is a crock of shit that made a couple of liberals feel better about themselves without making a full on shit storm of the gun lobby fall down upon them.  they called it closing a loop hole.  Yeah thugs and criminals have trusts and corporations to buy NFA gear
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 9:26:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

FWIW...you could have:
1. Done your prints yourself, at your leisure, for the price of an ink pad (because the ATF will send you the cards for free)
2. Done photos yourself, at your leisure, for <$.50 (using a smartphone app)
3. Notified any of a variety of other people that qualify as CLEO, most who would've probably tossed the form in the trash or sent it back (and you could then trash it)

And to be clear, I'm not saying I support 41F in any way...it's just not near the hassle some people say it is.
View Quote

I'm calling shenanigans on doing your own finger prints.  The group of four yes but the individual that require you to roll the fingers, no.  If you do not get a good print they will not accept them.  Most places don't use ink any more they use a computer then print the fingerprint on a card.  As to the app never thought of that, it would have save me some money.  I live in a very liberal county so...  I'm assuming those that don't see a problem with 41F didn't use a trust or a corp in the first place.  That's fine, we are all entitled to our own opinion but any rule change or law that makes s things even just a little more difficult is a step in the wrong direction.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:31:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 2:42:47 AM EDT
[#24]
The NFA market has dropped like a sinking ship since 41f exactly like I knew it would.  Once they are caught up with all of their backlog, I guarantee you that wait times will be very short.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 3:12:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Wonder when the backlog will be relieved.  I haven't heard a peep on the applications I submitted for stamps prior to July.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 9:00:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wonder when the backlog will be relieved.  I haven't heard a peep on the applications I submitted for stamps prior to July.
View Quote

How long before they cashed the check?  I'm just wondering if this giagantic backlog has effected any of that?!?!?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 10:10:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'm calling shenanigans on doing your own finger prints.  The group of four yes but the individual that require you to roll the fingers, no.  If you do not get a good print they will not accept them.  Most places don't use ink any more they use a computer then print the fingerprint on a card.  As to the app never thought of that, it would have save me some money.  I live in a very liberal county so...  I'm assuming those that don't see a problem with 41F didn't use a trust or a corp in the first place.  That's fine, we are all entitled to our own opinion but any rule change or law that makes s things even just a little more difficult is a step in the wrong direction.
View Quote

You could also pay to have your prints taken, then scan them to a digital file. print off however many you want, whenever you want.

As to the "I have to have a trust because my wife has access to my safe"; remind me again how many spouses of individual NFA owners were charged with illegal possession of a restricted firearm last month, last year, last decade?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:47:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You could also pay to have your prints taken, then scan them to a digital file. print off however many you want, whenever you want.

As to the "I have to have a trust because my wife has access to my safe"; remind me again how many spouses of individual NFA owners were charged with illegal possession of a restricted firearm last month, last year, last decade?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All it takes is one and in all seriousness I live in that one area where anything is possible.  I don't know if there has ever been one but I prefer not to be one.  I know guys with un registered cans.  They are great guys.  They'll probably never get caught, doesn't mean I want what they have though.  I'll continue to abide by the law however for the record, I think the current law is bull shit.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Well I sent paperwork in on the 21st, they got it on the 23rd, and cashed the check today on the 27th.  That's fast
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:38:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

All it takes is one and in all seriousness I live in that one area where anything is possible.  I don't know if there has ever been one but I prefer not to be one.  I know guys with un registered cans.  They are great guys.  They'll probably never get caught, doesn't mean I want what they have though.  I'll continue to abide by the law however for the record, I think the current law is bull shit.
View Quote

There is no law that NFA firearms need to be kept in a safe.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:23:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but now that we are 7 months post 41F what is everyone thinking wait times will look like once ATF processes all the pre 41F stamps?

From talking with a local dealer, he said 41F basically eliminated his NFA business. Also, Silencerco has announced they are doing employee layoffs due to a decrease in demand. I think a lot of the decrease demand can also be attributed to people holding out to see if the HPA passes. Clearly we will see some changes in wait times.
View Quote
I wonder if anyone has received a 41F stamp yet? There are always a few outliers in the numbers.

I would guess that the typical 41F wait is going to be 12 months plus or minus 2 months.

If demand keeps dropping, the process should eventually speed up a little. But I wouldn't count on it. I also wouldn't count on the HPA passing any quicker than the next 3 years, if ever.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 1:56:30 AM EDT
[#32]
It boggles my mind that not every dealer does their own fingerprinting and photo. Letting a willing and ready customer walk out the door, for whatever, reason is just bad salesmanship.
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

You won't find any. Marriage gives spouses shared property rights that transcend any NFA restrictions. No spouse will get prison for being alone at home with NFA firearms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top