Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2017 6:30:16 AM EDT
by any chance is there a place that will ship you an NFA engraved trigger guard for an AR15?
seems like it would be a quick and easy NFA business. just order it up and install the trigger guard.
local engraving place is being annoying and these are my first exploits into NFA toys.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 1:34:58 PM EDT
[#2]
If your local engraver is being annoying, you need a new engraver. THSF for example.

As BW said, a removable trigger guard doesn't meet the engraving requirements. Otherwise everyone would engrave there, of course.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 4:11:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your local engraver is being annoying, you need a new engraver. THSF for example.

As BW said, a removable trigger guard doesn't meet the engraving requirements. Otherwise everyone would engrave there, of course.
View Quote

Huh, I would have guessed that since the bbl is removable that the trigger guard would be ok
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#4]
The barrel is named by statute. That's why it's an acceptable location.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Huh, I would have guessed that since the bbl is removable that the trigger guard would be ok
View Quote

The gun does not work with the BBL removed, it works fine with the Trigger Guard removed.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:31:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Why don't more people mark their name/city/state on the barrel when they Form 1 an SBR?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 5:36:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Why don't more people mark their name/city/state on the barrel when they Form 1 an SBR?
View Quote

Because they plan to swap uppers.

For guns where that is not as likely, like an MP5 or Uzi, that is the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Because they plan to swap uppers.

For guns where that is not as likely, like an MP5 or Uzi, that is the way to go.
View Quote

Could you not just engrave the barrel of the new upper as well?
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Could you not just engrave the barrel of the new upper as well?
View Quote

Gets expensive and inconvenient.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never understood why so many people overthink engraving, particularly on an AR.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have to give a shout out to THSF. They are above and beyond in the service dept. Not suggesting anyone do it like I did but I paid for overnight shipping to THSF and provided an overnight label for the return. I shipped 4 receivers on a Wednesday, got an email on Thursday before noon that they were received, done and packed back up for return. Got them that Friday morning. That's 48 hours from MO to NC, engraved, and back to MO.  All 4 were engraved in the trigger area, 3 AR lowers and 1 MPX lower.

Point is OP, just send it to THSF and get it done correctly and quickly with no hassle.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#14]
sooo, as a second option, how tough do you suppose it would be to just get a stamp set and do
it myself. been about 13 years but I used to be pretty good with stamps.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
sooo, as a second option, how tough do you suppose it would be to just get a stamp set and do
it myself. been about 13 years but I used to be pretty good with stamps.
View Quote

It would cost a lot more than sending to tarheel or another similar vendor. Unless you're doing enough that $30 + shipping is more than the stamp creation.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 8:46:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

The bbl isnt serialized, the receiver is. The receiver is the firearm.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:42:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

It would cost a lot more than sending to tarheel or another similar vendor. Unless you're doing enough that $30 + shipping is more than the stamp creation.
View Quote
stamps are $20 for a full set.
How does the tarheal thing work for shipping. Just sent out the lower any carrier to them? Do you have to go through an FFl?
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The bbl isnt serialized, the receiver is. The receiver is the firearm.
View Quote

Then why is the bbl a valid option for the engraving?
It's just as removable as the trigger guard. Even more so sine you don't need tools to remove the upper.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:02:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
stamps are $20 for a full set.
How does the tarheal thing work for shipping. Just sent out the lower any carrier to them? Do you have to go through an FFl?
View Quote

Tarheel is a FFL. Ship to their door, they ship back to your door.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 10:47:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
...because the regulation statute says it is.

You can still shoot a firearm without a trigger guard...but it's kind of hard to shoot one without the barrel.
View Quote

Tough to argue with the statute.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:00:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
...because the regulation says it is.

You can still shoot a firearm without a trigger guard...but it's kind of hard to shoot one without the barrel.
View Quote

Not the argument he made. But yes, you can remove the registered bbl and shoot it with another one installed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:03:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/14/2017 11:14:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 3:57:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

But you can't shoot it without a barrel. You can shoot it without a trigger guard, just like you can shoot one without a handguard.

I don't know what you're arguing. The regulation has been posted several times. Acceptable locations are the frame, receiver, and barrel. The ATF added "pistol slide" to the list in 2013.

FWIW...the current Form 1 includes this in Instruction (2)(j):

(7) Markings: The maker is required to mark the firearm with his or her name, city and state. All markings are to be in compliance with 27 CFR 478.92 and 479.102. and that's the regulation I posted above

So, follow the regulation, or don't. It's up to you. Just know that Instruction 9 on the form says:

9. Penalties. Any person who violates or fails to comply with any of the requirements of the NFA shall, upon conviction, be fined not more than $10,000 or be imprisoned for not more than 10 years, or both. Any firearm involved in a violation of the NFA shall be subject to seizure and forfeiture. It is unlawful for any person to make or cause the making of a false entry on any application or record required by the NFA knowing such entry to be false. (and not that I'd expect it to happen, but the penalty can actually be increased to $250,000)
View Quote

I'm not sure what you are arguing.
yes, I see the regulation.
but to try to justify it that its because you cant shoot it without an NFA bbl is just silly.
the regulation allows for it to be put on a part of the rifle that is removable from the serialized lower.
"The bbl isnt serialized, the receiver is. The receiver is the firearm."
and yet the bbl is qualifies for the engraving. its a stupid regulation with no real reason to it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2017 9:29:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:37:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I never understand why people make this so complicated. I am the manufacturer of my sbr so I just use the serial number from the manufacturer. It's already engraved from the factory; serial number and caliber.

From the BATFE NFA Handbook – Chapter 6:

All NFA firearms must be identified by a serial number and other specified markings. If an existing firearm is being used in the making of the NFA weapon, and that firearm is serialized, the existing serial number should be used (unless it duplicates a serial number already used by the maker on Form 1) and entered in Block 4(g). If the weapon is of new manufacture, the applicant must assign a unique serial number and enter it in Block 4(g). For example, a unique serial number could be composed of at least 4 digits preceded by the initials of the maker. NOTE: alpha characters, e.g., a name, will not be accepted as a serial number. If a name is to be used, there must be at least one numeric character in addition to the alpha characters.

The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model, and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon. The marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:43:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I never understand why people make this so complicated. I am the manufacturer of my sbr so I just use the serial number from the manufacturer. It's already engraved from the factory; serial number and caliber.

From the BATFE NFA Handbook – Chapter 6:

All NFA firearms must be identified by a serial number and other specified markings. If an existing firearm is being used in the making of the NFA weapon, and that firearm is serialized, the existing serial number should be used (unless it duplicates a serial number already used by the maker on Form 1) and entered in Block 4(g). If the weapon is of new manufacture, the applicant must assign a unique serial number and enter it in Block 4(g). For example, a unique serial number could be composed of at least 4 digits preceded by the initials of the maker. NOTE: alpha characters, e.g., a name, will not be accepted as a serial number. If a name is to be used, there must be at least one numeric character in addition to the alpha characters.

The serial number must be engraved or stamped on the receiver of the firearm and the caliber, model, and identification of the maker must be engraved on the barrel or frame or receiver of the weapon. The marking and identification requirements for a maker are the same as for a manufacturer. Refer to section 7.4 for a detailed discussion of the requirements.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top