Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/23/2017 7:13:21 PM EDT
So this local range says that the ATF requires them to see my tax stamps on my NFA items or it's against the law for me to fire them there or my friends house or any where. I showed them my stamps but I explained to them that they are misinformed and really it's just their policy. So am I right or wrong because I'm pretty darn sure I'm in the right and they are blowing smoke.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Their range, their delusional made-up bullshit.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:21:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Ask to see their paperwork from ATF.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#3]
You are correct.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:25:02 PM EDT
[#4]
at my range many times members offer to show me their paperwork and I just tell them nope I don't need the see it. I'm the Ro not the ATF
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:35:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
at my range many times members offer to show me their paperwork and I just tell them nope I don't need the see it. I'm the Ro not the ATF
View Quote
What range are you the RO at ?
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:38:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I asked them to look that law up sometime because they would never find it.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 7:55:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This and I'm assuming someone on the board decided it should be a cya policy for the range.

My range has never asked for anything.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Thought you were going to say it was the Range in Richfield.  Wouldn't surprise me either.

Haven't been to the one in Brookfield yet.  Didn't hear good things about them as they were setting up shop.  Rates aren't good enough to bring me in.

ETA: I've never been asked at any of the ranges here in SE Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#11]
You know I've heard about stupid places doing this to cya but even in the event someone is using an illegal NFA item, it doesn't come down to them to enforce it but the atf.

In a few months my shop will be getting its SOT, I wonder what one of these ranges will say when I bring a can or sbr to the range without a stamp.

I guess bring this letter

NFA rules

9.5.2 Possession of firearms by employees of FFLs/SOTs for employers’ business purposes. No “transfer” under the NFA occurs when an FFL/SOT permits a bona fide employee to take custody of its registered NFA firearms for purposes within the employee’s scope of employment and for the business purposes of the FFL/SOT. Therefore, no approved ATF transfer form is required when employees take custody of firearms under these circumstances. In addition, the interstate delivery of a firearm to the employee and the employee’s receipt of the firearm would not violate the GCA.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:11:28 PM EDT
[#12]
I would have left... mostly because my stamps stay in a binder in my safe
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 8:16:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or their 1040.  Tax documents are tax documents.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#14]
The cunts at the range in question are mistaken.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 9:19:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
MCSA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
MCSA

34. No concealed carry of firearms permitted.

Past issues
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:01:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I just find it stupid that the RO says it's illegal for me to shoot a suppressors without my tax stamp. I guess the ATF can't look serial numbers up and reference that to the owner. Do not pass go and collect $200

I did pack up after he said it but I was done shooting anyways.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Past issues
View Quote

'lots and lots of old people at the club.  CCW becomes show and tell and a lot of reholstering  in the parking lot etc.  You can draw from holster all you want but carry guns really aren't needed as everyone is standing on the firing line with a hot gun any way.

Did I mention lots and lots of old guys with guns.   any many many newbz
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 10:30:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I have shot there several times and they have never asked.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:10:14 PM EDT
[#19]
1. 99% of the staff doesn't know what they are looking at.

2. My laminated cards are shrunk to the size of credit cards. It would take extremely good eyesight to read without magnification.  They are completely legible, just tiny.

3. I paid for the stack of cards.  I don't mind showing them off.   I won't even blow their minds with the trust.  I keep it on my keyring in a thumb drive. 
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So this local range says that the ATF requires them to see my tax stamps on my NFA items or it's against the law for me to fire them there or my friends house or any where. I showed them my stamps but I explained to them that they are misinformed and really it's just their policy. So am I right or wrong because I'm pretty darn sure I'm in the right and they are blowing smoke.
View Quote

Go to one of those ranges with a Form 2 instead of a Form 1 or Form 4 and watch heads explode.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:03:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Go to one of those ranges with a Form 2 instead of a Form 1 or Form 4 and watch heads explode.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd ask whoever at the range is asking for my stamp/form 2/3 for their ATF credentials before showing them mine.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 1:05:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Full of shit
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:29:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Yup, none of their business.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:34:07 PM EDT
[#24]
as others said you are correct

it is a TAX Stamp and non of there business
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 10:59:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

With some of the bullshit that has come out of the ATF over the years (see the recent thread about engraved dummy sear hole 80% lowers being machine guns),
I would not be surprised is an ATF agent told them that is the law.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Not required by law.

But its their range their rules.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:52:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Only valid response is:

Link Posted: 1/25/2017 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#28]
They could be making some wierd interpretation of a state law.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

With some of the bullshit that has come out of the ATF over the years (see the recent thread about engraved dummy sear hole 80% lowers being machine guns),
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, like the gun shop in Texas that posted a sign saying stripped lowers were sold as replacement parts only, due to their ATF agent insisting on it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 12:08:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I'd ask whoever at the range is asking for my stamp/form 2/3 for their ATF credentials before showing them mine.
View Quote

This response is why gun owners make bad businessmen.

The correct response is to show it off while loudly proclaiming that your neato-cool machine gun is available for rent along with several dozen others, and then you start handing out business cards when you get mobbed.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 5:09:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This response is why gun owners make bad businessmen.

The correct response is to show it off while loudly proclaiming that your neato-cool machine gun is available for rent along with several dozen others, and then you start handing out business cards when you get mobbed.
View Quote

In my case there are no machine guns for rental but if you have a few million to start up a range and get machine guns in your stable, by all means.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 7:16:24 PM EDT
[#32]
My favorite answer to people like that is " I just bought it off a guy in your parking lot, he didn't say anything about paperwork, it should be on your security camera video, go check." I do this with as straight a face as possible. The reactions are priceless.
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 8:10:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
1. 99% of the staff doesn't know what they are looking at.

2. My laminated cards are shrunk to the size of credit cards. It would take extremely good eyesight to read without magnification.  They are completely legible, just tiny.

3. I paid for the stack of cards.  I don't mind showing them off.   I won't even blow their minds with the trust.  I keep it on my keyring in a thumb drive. 
View Quote

I have scans on my phone, when I started going to a range near me last year the attendant asked, so I showed him the images. He clearly had no clue what to look for, even as I pointed out the model numbers. Certainly he would have no clue how to match the Trust documents to the Form 1s. We chatted about SBR's and silencers for a bit, all nice and polite.

Followup visits I haven't seen that guy again, and none of the others have asked me for anything. I think they're still trying to figure out range policies and don't communicate effectively internally. Really though, I think they just have no clue what I have with me.

On the other hand, I would think verifying forms would open as much liability as anything. When someone accidentally sprays the range with the machinegun, you can either be "oh, we didn't tell him he could have it, it's all his fault!!" or "yeah, we saw a badly scanned image of what looked like a form and told him he was good to go".
Link Posted: 1/25/2017 11:41:02 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In my case there are no machine guns for rental but if you have a few million to start up a range and get machine guns in your stable, by all means.
View Quote

Range: No
Stable full of rental post-samples: Yes
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 3:29:27 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Range: No
Stable full of rental post-samples: Yes
View Quote

SOT will be paid for July 1st so I'm anxious on getting to try out some post sample goodness
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#36]
I would tell them to pound sand, and go spend my money elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#37]
My local range is also the SOT I bought my Omega from and they also got me into SBRs
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Ive done it. Its winning seeing the befuddled look on their face and then explaing to them what it was and that although it is their range, its not legally binding for me to share a tax document with them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 10:17:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Sounds like derp to me.

At the city run range I occasionally use, the Rangemaster may ask "who made it & how do you like it?"  I've never been asked for paperwork.  Suppressors are getting pretty common here.
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
although it is their range, its not legally binding for me to share a tax document with them.
View Quote

"Legally binding" what does that mean in the context of showing someone a form?
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 9:37:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
although it is their range, its not legally binding for me to share a tax document with them.

I understand their range their rules but the few times I've been asked they acted as if I was required by law to show it to them ( legally bound). The OP indicated the same. The good thing iss 90% of the time I shoot on private property and the other 10% is at a range that doesnt seem to care (Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas, VA).
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 3:01:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I understand their range their rules but the few times I've been asked they acted as if I was required by law to show it to them ( legally bound). The OP indicated the same. The good thing iss 90% of the time I shoot on private property and the other 10% is at a range that doesnt seem to care (Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas, VA).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or...what?  You get arrested?  They get arrested?  Someone's dog gets shot?

'Cuz that's what "required by law" means.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#43]
I CCW at the range.  I was alone at a public range one day, went to check target at 100 yds. Turned to return and there were two teens standing next to my table eyeing my gear,  AR with ammo. Luckily they were just curious but I would rather be armed to some extent should shit go south. Concealed means concealed. 
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#44]
If they ask, I'll show them.
I prefer to shoot on private land, but if it's a privately owned gun range... I don't have to show them my stamps... but they also don't have to allow me to shoot there.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#45]
There range there rules
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#46]
If it's a range I've never been to I mention it and offer to show copies. It's either deer in the headlights nod or "Don't need to see anything, im not a fed. If the Feds do show up, that's for you to deal with". Never have been questioned.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
There range there rules
View Quote

Where range?

Where rules?
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:53:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Yep, like the gun shop in Texas that posted a sign saying stripped lowers were sold as replacement parts only, due to their ATF agent insisting on it.
View Quote

So, if they are just replacement parts, I can just pay with cash and walk out, no 4473?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
There range there rules
View Quote
Do you even grammar, bro?
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#50]
There is no passion like that of a functionary for his function.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top