Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2016 11:14:44 PM EDT
I was thinking about this today,

given the current 8 month (rising) wait times, is there any reason not to just buy one less suppressor and use the funds to pay for an FFL/SOT?

ETA: before anyone asks, yes it would be used for profit.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:48:40 PM EDT
[#1]
School me on this...

Do you have to renew your FFL every year? I would think that way more expensive over time. What would happen to the items upon losing your FFL?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:50:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

given the current 8 month (rising) wait times, is there any reason not to just buy one less suppressor and use the funds to pay for an FFL/SOT?
View Quote

Business premise requirements, local/county/state licensing, zoning, paperwork, inspections and other hassle.

If you're willing to commit to the hassle and have the funds, then there's nothing stopping you from doing it. Unless you're planning on a CRAPLOAD of suppressors, it's probably not worth it, and if you're planning on doing a crapload of suppressors and only keeping the license and SOT for a year, you may be exposing yourself to tax evasion charges for all the transfer taxes you're now talking about getting an FFL/SOT to avoid paying (in addition to a somewhat faster transfer time).
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 11:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
School me on this...

Do you have to renew your FFL every year? I would think that way more expensive over time. What would happen to the items upon losing your FFL?
View Quote

I believe you renew your FFL every 3yr's but pay for the SOT on a yearly basis... In my situation I would continue to use the FFL for transfers and gunsmithing provided this ITAR shit gets fixed anyway .
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 12:06:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Business premise requirements, local/county/state licensing, zoning, paperwork, inspections and other hassle.

If you're willing to commit to the hassle and have the funds, then there's nothing stopping you from doing it. Unless you're planning on a CRAPLOAD of suppressors, it's probably not worth it, and if you're planning on doing a crapload of suppressors and only keeping the license and SOT for a year, you may be exposing yourself to tax evasion charges for all the transfer taxes you're now talking about getting an FFL/SOT to avoid paying (in addition to a somewhat faster transfer time).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Think I could actually make a pretty good business out of it at my current location (closest class 3 dealer is 30 miles and I am in between 2 large cities)

I started digging into it a bit more and will wait to see how this election turns out before moving forward... also one of the reasons I would want to get into the business is gunsmithing so will have to see how this ITAR stuff works out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:21:41 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want to run a business have at it. You could also pick up pre-may MGs while youre at it.

Ive looked into it before and IMO it seemed like to much of a hassle.

Just buy what you want as an individual/trust and play the waiting game.

Also a good reason to buy a couple more in calibers you think you might want in the future and SBR a lower while youre at it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget ITAR fees...

That's the killer... Only reason I haven't done it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top