Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2016 5:22:41 PM EDT
My bank says they need to review the trust first before opening an account. I don't really want to show them that plan to buy machine guns.

Do you guys actually do that?
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 5:31:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's none of their business to see the trust. Mine did come with a Certification of Trust that's only a couple pages...and that's the document I would show if required.

But, you really have no need for a separate bank account.
View Quote

I was told that I need to show the trust is actually holding the NFA items. So purchasing a silence, for example, through a bank account under the trust would maintain the chain of custody under the trust.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I opened an account and never used it since E-Forms required a credit/debit card and there was no chance that I was going to use a debit card for an online purchase.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 5:41:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I opened an account and never used it since E-Forms required a credit/debit card and there was no chance that I was going to use a debit card for an online purchase.
View Quote

Did you show your bank the entire trust or the Certification of Trust?
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I have an account in the the name of my Trust, dba (my name.)

All NFA transactions run through this account.  It's not required, but it makes the audit trail much simpler.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#7]

I just mailed off a personal check, they cashed it. no fuss no muss.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:10:48 PM EDT
[#8]
you dont need to involve a bank
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:22:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have an account in the the name of my Trust, dba (my name.)

All NFA transactions run through this account.  It's not required, but it makes the audit trail much simpler.
View Quote

Maybe I'm dense. Audit trail?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 4:39:13 PM EDT
[#10]
They just want $
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:37:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
They just want $
View Quote

Who are they?
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 5:59:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 6:07:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

you don't need to involve a bank
View Quote
Or actual money.  

Where are you all getting this shit?  Didn't you read the FAQs first?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:36:11 PM EDT
[#14]
I have 4 NFA items all done with trusts and never opened a bank account.  If you are on the trust just send in the check with your name.  Your over thinking this.
Link Posted: 9/3/2016 6:47:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have 4 NFA items all done with trusts and never opened a bank account.  If you are on the trust just send in the check with your name.  Your over thinking this.
View Quote

This

I did my very first trust with nfalawyers trust
No bank account required.  Just efiled the required trust docs as instructed by nfalawyers.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 7:54:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Audit trail?  I don't want no audit trail.  Use your own check,  or send a postal money order,  or get a certified check at Bank for the fee.  The trust owns the Nra items, but it is broke unless I buy something else.  Making it way too complicated
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Do not over think it..
NO. You do not need a Trust account with seperate bank checks or CC to purchase anything.
It is your trust. You can place whatever you want in it.

Edit: and... No one gets to see what accets are listed in your trust unless you want them to. Bank,ATF,etc only need to see first few pages qualifying the trust as legal within your State of residency.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 9:24:15 AM EDT
[#18]
No trust bank account here, just my joint CC with my wife. We're both on the trust and no issues in 8-9 stamps and counting.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#19]
i went to my local bank and opened am account in the trust's name.
only reason being was because the way my trust is written and the way the local law reads, the trust must always have something in it's possession to be legally active.

i now use the "trust account" as a savings account for play things like cans/SBR's

do i think this is necessary?
no, i sure don't because i have bought and paid for things with personal funds that were not labeled as the trusts name

am i an impulse buyer and will spend the cash if it's in my pocket verses stashed away in the "trust account" ? yep, still working on that
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:05:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't make it complicated. submit stuff to ATF and pay with your own personal account.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 11:02:06 AM EDT
[#21]
Op... NO !
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 4:53:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
only reason being was because the way my trust is written and the way the local law reads, the trust must always have something in it's possession to be legally active.
View Quote

When I activated my trust, my lawyer had me take a five dollar bill, write the serial number on the Schedule A, and paper clip the five bucks to the original of the trust. As long as I keep the fiver, the trust always has something in its possession.

No bank account needed. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:15:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When I activated my trust, my lawyer had me take a five dollar bill, write the serial number on the Schedule A, and paper clip the five bucks to the original of the trust. As long as I keep the fiver, the trust always has something in its possession.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is how mine is set up as well. As long as I keep at least that bill my trust exists.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#24]
My lawyer said using a USPS money order was the easier way to go but the checking acct in the trust name was also a good route to go.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:32:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#26]
No need... my F1's were paid for by various CC's (with my name on them and used as the billing info) some F4's were my personal checks and a couple were the dealer's checks
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:02:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
It's none of their business to see the trust. Mine did come with a Certification of Trust that's only a couple pages...and that's the document I would show if required.

But, you really have no need for a separate bank account.
View Quote

Actually it is their business. Their bank their rules.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Do not over think it..
NO. You do not need a Trust account with seperate bank checks or CC to purchase anything.

Edit: and... No one gets to see what accets are listed in your trust unless you want them to. Bank,ATF,etc only need to see first few pages qualifying the trust as legal within your State of residency.
View Quote

False, I've worked at a few different banks. Some have needed to see the whole thing some have not. I don't think there's any laws on it, just different corporate policies.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:16:44 PM EDT
[#29]
This is the first I have ever heard of this.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

False, I've worked at a few different banks. Some have needed to see the whole thing some have not. I don't think there's any laws on it, just different corporate policies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do not over think it..

If The ATF is not entitled ..... Then neither are doushe bankers !

They do not need it ! They said they did for no other reason than they do not know any better or to vette out pain in the ass people setting up trust accounts that don't have any real wealth. Not wanting BS $1K accounts taking up time and computer space..
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 11:14:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They do not need it ! They said they did for no other reason than they do not know any better or to vette out pain in the ass people setting up trust accounts that don't have any real wealth. Not wanting BS $1K accounts taking up time and computer space..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do not over think it..

Their bank their rules. Sounds like you need to go douche a little. Have sand in your vagina?
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 12:39:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Yes. That is correct. Their bank. Move on and work with people that are interested in helping or just sit back and take it as fact with out questioning what in the hell they think they need a listing of someones personal accets held in a self managed family trust for ?  There is no valid reason unless they are involved with management of that trust. It is just an account for a legal entity.
For the purposes of most NFA Trusts A trust checking account is not needed.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I am NOT a lawyer and I am NOT giving legal advice. However, I will repeat what my lawyer advised me for my NFA Trust and my personal circumstances;

All trusts are valid until somebody tries to claim they are not. At that point, a court will look not only at the language of the trust but how the trust has conducted itself. Does it own assets, does it represent itself by name to other entities, does it conduct itself in a manner consistent with being a recognized and responsible party for payment? So, his advice to me was open a checking account and pay debts of the trust from that account. The fact that a heavily Government regulated entity (the bank) recognizes a Trust is a compelling reason for the courts to recognize it too. He also advised me to use the Trust name when ordering parts for specific trust items (like a 12" upper for a registered SBR) this demonstrates that the Trust operates in the World of commerce, again something that compels the court to recognize the entity. I usually list my trust name in the "company name" or "Purchase Order #" box when I order accessories online and keep those receipts in my Trust file.

Is any of this "required" no, but it all supports your assertion that the trust exists and is valid should anybody want to question that validity.

Do YOU need to do this? I am not saying that at all. All I am saying is that I do this and my lawyer likes it. As always -YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Unless state law requires a checking account, you don't need one.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Lawyers say a lot of things...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My lawyer said using a USPS money order was the easier way to go but the checking acct in the trust name was also a good route to go.

Lawyers say a lot of things...

They do. Especially when they don't NFA trusts are their own special thing.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:21:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
This is the first I have ever heard of this.
View Quote

There's a reason for that.

Somebody got the OP all worried about a bunch of bullshit
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:28:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I am NOT a lawyer and I am NOT giving legal advice. However, I will repeat what my lawyer advised me for my NFA Trust and my personal circumstances;

All trusts are valid until somebody tries to claim they are not. At that point, a court will look not only at the language of the trust but how the trust has conducted itself. Does it own assets, does it represent itself by name to other entities, does it conduct itself in a manner consistent with being a recognized and responsible party for payment? So, his advice to me was open a checking account and pay debts of the trust from that account. The fact that a heavily Government regulated entity (the bank) recognizes a Trust is a compelling reason for the courts to recognize it too. He also advised me to use the Trust name when ordering parts for specific trust items (like a 12" upper for a registered SBR) this demonstrates that the Trust operates in the World of commerce, again something that compels the court to recognize the entity. I usually list my trust name in the "company name" or "Purchase Order #" box when I order accessories online and keep those receipts in my Trust file.

Is any of this "required" no, but it all supports your assertion that the trust exists and is valid should anybody want to question that validity.

Do YOU need to do this? I am not saying that at all. All I am saying is that I do this and my lawyer likes it. As always -YMMV.
View Quote

Your lawyer is overthinking things. An NFA trust operates in a different fashion and for different purposes for a typical trust.

Does your lawyer do many NFA trusts?
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:44:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
you dont need to involve a bank
View Quote

This. But leave it to arfcom to over think things and write letters to the BATFE to fuck over the rest of us.

MAKE
IT
STOP!!!
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 2:01:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Your lawyer is overthinking things. An NFA trust operates in a different fashion and for different purposes for a typical trust.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

One of his specialties. He is an NFA collector himself. Again, I am not trying to tell anybody what THEY should do. This is simply what I do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top