Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/23/2016 10:41:34 AM EDT
I'm the guy who has three tow truck and three cab companies programmed into his cell phone contacts "just in case". In the same vein I'd like to have the appropriate contact number for ATF to report stolen NFA stuff. Is it the same number posted in the nfa paperwork thread? This one?

ATF 24 hour hotline

800-800-3855
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:52:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:13:53 AM EDT
[#2]
deleted post.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:11:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't always trust info I see on "NFA Trust Lawyers" web sites, and it's pretty old, but there is this:

linky

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:17:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
exactly.

I'm seeing multiple different answers on this one...and the NFA branch seems to be swamped these days so I sent my district office (Seattle) an email asking them about this. This is not a case where I want to do the 'minimum required by law'....if my stuff really gets stolen I want as many LEO-types involved as possible in trying to track it down with the hope that it will help recover some/all of my stuff!!!
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#6]
hmmmm...handbook says:

Section 13.5 Reporting thefts or losses of firearms

13.5.1 GCA requirements. Each FFL must report the theft or loss of a firearm from the FFL’s inventory (including any firearm that has been transferred from the inventory to the FFL’s personal collection and held as a personal firearm for at least 1 year), or from the collection of a licensed collector, within 48 hours after the theft or loss is discovered.210 Reports must be made by telephoning ATF at 1-888-930-9275 (nationwide toll free number) and by preparing ATF Form 3310.11, Federal Firearms Licensee Theft/Loss Report, in accordance with the instructions on the form. The original of the report must be forwarded to the ATF National Tracing Center at the address specified on the form, and a copy must be retained by the FFL in the FFL’s permanent records for a period not less than 5
years.211 Theft or loss of any firearm must also be reported to appropriate local authorities.

13.5.2 NFA requirements. When any registered firearm is stolen or lost, the person losing possession must, immediately upon discovery of the theft or loss, make a written report to ATF, specifically the NFA Branch, showing the following: (1) name and address of the person in whose name the firearm is 208 27 CFR 479.31 209 18 U.S.C 923(g)(5)(A); 27 CFR 478.126 210 18 U.S.C. 923(g)(6); 27 CFR 478.39a 211 27 CFR 478.129(c) 82 registered; (2) kind of firearm; (3) serial number; (4) model; (5) caliber; (6) manufacturer; (7) date and place of theft or loss; and (8) a complete statement of the facts and circumstances surrounding the theft
or loss.212
View Quote

references: 27 CFR 479.141

I think I might wright up a Schedule A-like form that has all my NFA stuff listed on my PC. If only some items get stolen, I could delete those from the list prior to submission.

Now the question becomes: how to submit it? Says in writing...so that could be a FAX, email, or snail mail? The latter seems a bit slow for what I would deem an emergency... Hmmmm. It'd be nice to have some kind of confirmation of receipt for something like this...
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is never thought about it, so I attempt to search and ran across this page, which includes:

**** ATF does not take reports of stolen firearms from private citizens

Maybe that bit is taken out of context?

I also found this archived thread, which includes the number you posted...but also mentions the reporting is for FFLs only.
View Quote

Very out of context.

When dealing with title I firearms from non-licensed folks, they really don't deal with the owners.
The only time they want to deal with it is when a trace is initiated by police when they recover a firearm.

However, the NFA most certainly does want to know about the loss of title II items, so they can pretend the registry is correct, even though they know damn well it full of errors.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#8]
They dont even require you to notify them of an address change- they can pretend its accurate all they want, but for all they know 99% of names and addresses are old and have moved since filing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 1:41:38 AM EDT
[#9]
There is a requirement to notify ATF of missing or stolen NFA firearms, but the notification requirement is "in writing".  Even if you called the ATF NFA Branch in Martinsburg, your statutory duty is to make the notification in writing (usually, US Mail).

If you call the local PD to report the missing/theft and let them know that an NFA firearm is involved, they'll probably contact NFA themselves - probably hoping the feds will take jurisdiction and they can clear it off their sheet quickly.

I can't see the ATF stirring themselves up too much unless it's a cache of machineguns or DDs stolen - just because a crime element moves it into federal jurisdiction doesn't mean the federal agency will care that much or swoop down and reign terror and blood upon the offenders. The .fed got other stuff to do, too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:53:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The .fed got other stuff to do, too.
View Quote

Like ship illegal MGs into other countries.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:11:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Planning a boating trip?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#12]
The boys in the Seattle field office are quick to respond! Here's what they sent me:

Mr. Brown-

Your email requested information regarding the theft on NFA (National Firearms Act) weapons and the proper way to notify ATF and law enforcement.  ATF posted the NFA and GCA (Gun Control Act) to our webpage at www.ATF.gov.

The regulations at 27 CFR 479.141, state in part:

When any registered firearm is stolen or lost, the person losing possession must, immediately upon discovery of the theft or loss, make a written report to ATF, specifically the NFA Branch, showing the following: (1) name and address of the person in whose name the firearm is registered; (2) kind of firearm; (3) serial number; (4) model; (5) caliber; (6) manufacturer; (7) date and place of theft or loss; and (8) a complete statement of the facts and circumstances surrounding the theft or loss.

For you information, a link to the NFA Handbook can be found here:  https://www.atf.gov/firearms/national-firearms-act-handbook

Additionally, we encourage you to maintain a record of all your personal firearms to assist you in the event they are lost or stolen.  An example can be found here:  https://www.atf.gov/file/4831/download.

We trust this has been responsive to your request.

Seattle Field Division
View Quote

I responded with a final question, asking what forms of written comm are acceptable...and if email or fax are ok, which address / number to use. I'll post their response for the group to see.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:58:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

hmmmm...handbook says:

I think I might wright up a Schedule A-like form that has all my NFA stuff listed on my PC. If only some items get stolen, I could delete those from the list prior to submission.

Now the question becomes: how to submit it? Says in writing...so that could be a FAX, email, or snail mail? The latter seems a bit slow for what I would deem an emergency... Hmmmm. It'd be nice to have some kind of confirmation of receipt for something like this...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

hmmmm...handbook says:

13.5.1 GCA requirements. Each FFL must report the theft or loss of a firearm from the FFL’s inventory (including any firearm that has been transferred from the inventory to the FFL’s personal collection and held as a personal firearm for at least 1 year), or from the collection of a licensed collector, within 48 hours after the theft or loss is discovered.210 Reports must be made by telephoning ATF at 1-888-930-9275 (nationwide toll free number) and by preparing ATF Form 3310.11, Federal Firearms Licensee Theft/Loss Report, in accordance with the instructions on the form. The original of the report must be forwarded to the ATF National Tracing Center at the address specified on the form, and a copy must be retained by the FFL in the FFL’s permanent records for a period not less than 5

years.211 Theft or loss of any firearm must also be reported to appropriate local authorities.

13.5.2 NFA requirements. When any registered firearm is stolen or lost, the person losing possession must, immediately upon discovery of the theft or loss, make a written report to ATF, specifically the NFA Branch, showing the following: (1) name and address of the person in whose name the firearm is 208 27 CFR 479.31 209 18 U.S.C 923(g)(5)(A); 27 CFR 478.126 210 18 U.S.C. 923(g)(6); 27 CFR 478.39a 211 27 CFR 478.129(c) 82 registered; (2) kind of firearm; (3) serial number; (4) model; (5) caliber; (6) manufacturer; (7) date and place of theft or loss; and (8) a complete statement of the facts and circumstances surrounding the theft

or loss.212

You are overthinking this.  Report to local police, make sure you give them all info, serial number, model, etc..  Get copy of police report once it is in the system. Call ATF, if they want a copy simply send them a copy of the police report.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:59:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You are overthinking this.  Report to local police, make sure you give them all info, serial number, model, etc..  Get copy of police report once it is in the system. Call ATF, if they want a copy simply send them a copy of the police report.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
hmmmm...handbook says:

or loss.212

Yep, this right here. Don't over think it. You local police is where to start they might even pass the info onto the ATF for you.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:08:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd definitely be starting with the local coppers, that's a given. I just want to make sure I'm doing everything right to keep the ATF from stomping cats and stuff. Nothing wrong with being prepared!

*edit*

Here's their response:

You may submit the report in writing to:

National Firearms Act (NFA) Branch
244 Needy Road
Martinsburg, West Virginia 25405
View Quote

About what one would expect I suppose...
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Planning a boating trip?
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top