Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2015 2:15:00 PM EDT
Just curious in the present digital age of instant background checks for firearm purchases, if anyone knows what is involved in approval of a form 1, form 4, etc that causes it to take so long? I admit I know nothing of the actual process, but it would seem to me that the information necessary for approval or denial would be pretty much instantly available to a federal government agency.
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 2:19:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Sheer volume...
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 5:27:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sheer volume...
View Quote

That's not it. There are millions more instant NICS background checks than there are pending NFA transactions. The issue is that the ATF arbitrarily makes the process long and drawn out as a deterrent.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's not it. There are millions more instant NICS background checks than there are pending NFA transactions. The issue is that the ATF arbitrarily makes the process long and drawn out as a deterrent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sheer volume...

There are a lot more people calling in the nics checks than there are handling NFA paperwork
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#4]
There's also a bit more to it than that.  They have to review the application to make sure all the materials are there, review the fingerprints, trust, etc. as necessary, file everything, identify and make a determination of any mistakes made, issue the stamps and signatures, etc.

It's not a quick review of the database, a yes or no, and a confirmation number.
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 6:41:01 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

There's also a bit more to it than that.  They have to review the application to make sure all the materials are there, review the fingerprints, trust, etc. as necessary, file everything, identify and make a determination of any mistakes made, issue the stamps and signatures, etc.

It's not a quick review of the database, a yes or no, and a confirmation number.
View Quote
It's best not to argue with those seeing black helicopters overhead...

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 8:12:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, because it's not like the ATF hasn't been complicating things and making it progressively more difficult, right? 41P ring a bell?

The process is more involved than a NICS check, but not that much. A NICS takes 30 seconds or less. The entire NFA process is made arbitrarily more complicated than it needs to be, and if anything his post about everything they have to do proves MY point, as it's faster to get a gun (instant) than it is to get a suppressor (4-6 months), or shorten the barrel on a rifle (1-3 months.)
Link Posted: 3/25/2015 11:17:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's not conspiratorial at all.  It is the stated aim of the current administration to implement gun control through executive fiat.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 6:45:43 PM EDT
[#8]
The process is laid out in the law. There would have to be a change in the law to go from what we have now to the instant BGCs for NFA items.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 12:05:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The process is laid out in the law. There would have to be a change in the law to go from what we have now to the instant BGCs for NFA items.
View Quote

The law just says a tax must be paid and leaves that process up to the discretion of the ATF. No law change needed.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 5:17:14 AM EDT
[#10]
It's my understanding that NFA items are done at there own seperate location with 23 employees last I heard. There are also close to 100k Forms done a month between form 1's, 3's or 4's etc. I'd say the wait is due to backlog and ensuring all paperwork and attachments are correct. I'm sure they don't want another lawsuit on their hands for unlawful issue of a stamp. If a Form 1 is denied a resubmittal and an email it's approved within hours so i'm sure they aren't purposely pushing documents off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top