Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2015 4:44:38 PM EDT
Does anyone know a method to fill in receiver marks? On my first SBR, I engraved the receiver by hand and it was rather sloppy. I was planning on sending it to someone to get it professionally engraved but I wanted to fill in the old marks right before I sent it in. That way, the receiver will not have to be coated a 2nd time.

Any ideas? I do not know what would bond with aluminum.

I was thinking one of these:

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/epxy_metal_s/overview/Loctite-Epoxy-Metal-Concrete.htm

http://www.devcon.com/products/products.cfm?brand=Devcon&family=Plastic%20Steel%C2%AE%205%20Minute%C2%AE%20Putty%20%28SF%29

Both say they can be sanded and are applicable to metal.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 5:45:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm getting ready to get one of mine fixed. The guy is going to laser out a rectangle where the old engraving is and engrave the info in that recessed area. Then we'll use Aluminum Black to reblacken the rectangle and engraving.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm getting ready to get one of mine fixed. The guy is going to laser out a rectangle where the old engraving is and engrave the info in that recessed area. Then we'll use Aluminum Black to reblacken the rectangle and engraving.
View Quote

Mine is slightly different. I engraved the front of the magwell and the new engraving is going to be in the traditional spot, right below the manufacturers info. So, I really just need to probably fill it and paint over it.

I really don't need to fill it since it's cosmetic and I don't ever plan on selling it but....why not since it won't be expensive. I figure $10 for some sort of epoxy, some sanding paper, and the paint will not cost anything since it wouldn't take hardly any effort by the engraver.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have TIG Welded over Selector Marking AR selector markings in the past and you would never have known they were there once the welds were sanded/polished flat and the receiver refinished with molycoat.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:00:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Just take a angle grinder with a 3m pad and "sand" the front section of the receiver. You wont see difference once refinished.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top