Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2015 12:11:01 PM EDT
I was just curious if it would be worth making the Evo 9 user serviceable? I know that is a subjective question but I just wanted some thoughts.

I would normally think so but since you can get a 9mm tirant for sub $400, it doesn't make a lot of sense. The service is around $275(I believe) but for $100 more you can have a Tirant(plus $200). The tax stamp is what throws off my judgement....

I know the Tirant design also has a better, more modern design and is already user serviceable. I believe the baffles can be replaced by the SRI but then it becomes even more expensive than a new suppressor purchase.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#1]
If you already own an Evo, then jail braking it makes sense in order to keep your investment longer.
If you are looking at buying an old Evo, pass on it and get a Tirant or Octane or something.
Even after you jail brake it, the baffle stack is still aluminum and as such, it is more difficult to clean because you can't use harsh chemicals like the dip or really harsh abrasives.
Because of that, I prefer all steel baffles (which is why I prefer the Octane over the Tirant) so that I can use my steel pin tumbler (that I use for cleaning brass to reload).
Cleaning my Evo 9's baffles suck. I will be getting a steel baffle stack for my Evo from SRI whenever I can get around to it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you already own an Evo, then jail braking it makes sense in order to keep your investment longer.
If you are looking at buying an old Evo, pass on it and get a Tirant or Octane or something.
Even after you jail brake it, the baffle stack is still aluminum and as such, it is more difficult to clean because you can't use harsh chemicals like the dip or really harsh abrasives.
Because of that, I prefer all steel baffles (which is why I prefer the Octane over the Tirant) so that I can use my steel pin tumbler (that I use for cleaning brass to reload).
Cleaning my Evo 9's baffles suck. I will be getting a steel baffle stack for my Evo from SRI whenever I can get around to it.
View Quote

Well I'm in between. I bought a Evo 9 from SS when they were $300 and I'm waiting right now.

Do you know how much the SRI baffle upgrades cost? I've never seen a set price, I just assumed it was pretty expensive.
Link Posted: 1/20/2015 1:57:21 PM EDT
[#3]
When Silencer Shop was clearing them out and with the addition of Damn the Man, there was nothing else in the price range - so many people tossed serviceability aside for a cheap can and store credit. Then the bottom fell out on the Ti-Rants and it didn't make sense to get the Evo.

I ended up getting both. I  have no plans to jail break it, but instead the Evo will end up on my nightstand gun.
Link Posted: 1/21/2015 8:25:00 AM EDT
[#4]
get both was the answer for me also,the evo is a little smaller & will go in my grab n go bag..... Its a 100.00 can
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Also, the Evo 9 is still a fairly competitive can for its size.   That is, you cant compare a 1.25 inch can to a 1.375 inch one.  

The 1.25 size is vastly superior, whether you like tall sights or not.  The sight picture is much better.   I think of the Evo as a slim can that does as good a job as it possibly could for its size.   To my knowledge (and I could very well be wrong here), there arent any 1.25 inch cans on the market right now that really blow it out of the water.  A decibel or two, sure.   Nothing major though.   Maybe the Surefire can will change that, but I doubt it.   I think the Gemtech G core can might be 1.25, but its not quieter than the Tirant, IMHO.  

Therefore, in my opinion, the Evo isnt totally obsolete yet.   I believe every can collector should have a 1.25 inch 9mm can, so the Evo is as good as any of them, I guess.

1.375 inch stuff is definitely the quietest option, but the skinny cans still have their place.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top